The Daily for Sunday Mar 14, 2021

richwmn

10 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I agree with you.  I wouldn’t mind if they split the difference and moved the time by 30 minutes to satisfy both sides of the debate.

Whoa!  I couldn't handle being off 30 minutes from most of the rest of the world.  I don't care whether they switch to one or the other permanently, or leave it the way it is.  One or two days a year of inconvenience (changing clocks) is all right with me.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Whoa!  I couldn't handle being off 30 minutes from most of the rest of the world.  I don't care whether they switch to one or the other permanently, or leave it the way it is.  One or two days a year of inconvenience (changing clocks) is all right with me.

I agree.  One hour at a time is fine with me; perhaps because I've traveled so much I compare it with changing times every couple of days.  If we MUST pick one time I support standard time cue to the effects of leaving before dawn on kids in school.

Roy

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

🙂  That reminds me of Newfoundland - they have there own time zone, 30 minutes ahead of Atlantic Time Zone.

I used to support an LTC facility there.  It took a short bit to get accustomed to it when scheduling calls.

• Like 7

Happy Potato Chip day today.  We love classic potato chips and have some with sandwiches for lunch many days.  But it's also Pi Day, and my baby brother's birthday.  Of course back when we were kids we had no idea what Pi was.  

I thought a lot of people would share their photos of Juneau today, since it seems like most of us have been there.  (Except @kazu!  LOL!)  For a lot of cruisers, that's their first cruise.  It was for us.  I remember back in 2001 at Thanksgiving dinner.  DDIL said I'd love to take an Alaskan cruise.  DH said me too!  DS and I looked at them and said, "uh, okay".  DDIL contacted a travel agent and set it all up for July 2002.  We were such newbies we didn't even know we should fill out all the paperwork online ahead of time so it took us a while to get checked in.  But we had a wonderful trip and that is what got us started on cruising.  I'll go find a couple of shots taken in Juneau back in 2002.  We were in Juneau twice in 2009 on back to back 7 day Alaska cruises and again on a 14 day HAL Alaska cruise in 2019.  

On July 17, 2002 we were in Juneau, where DS and DDIL went horseback riding at the Mendenhall glacier.  They were wearing rain capes since it was a little showery at times.  They enjoyed it a lot!enhance

Aww, they look so young.  

Some of the scenery along the way.enhance

Not to mention the glacier!enhance

Meanwhile DH and I walked around town and went up the Mount Roberts Tramway.  Here's the Star Princess below us.enhance

A wet downtown.enhance

The sun came out as we prepared to leave that day, of course.  Doesn't it always happen that way?  Here I am watching the sea planes take off and land.enhance

• Like 28

24 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You might be surprised at how much havoc the time change creates. Hospitals must update their servers to the new time.  I have seen them move the time in the wrong direction, do it twice and forget.  This is an issue when delivering meds etc to patients.  Regardless we should stop changing the time.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

A bill has been introduced into the Ontario legislature to end the bi-annual changing of the clocks.  If passed we would stay on DST.  They want Quebec and New York to do the same.  I wish them luck.

Maybe it will go somewhere

• Like 5

Blessed Sunday Daily-ites! Thank you Rich for your dedication to the Daily.

Love to my adorable sisters, Roy you are in our prayers. Thanks to all contributors. 

I don't mind day light changes. We change batteries when changing the clocks.

Allen says we've been to Alaska 5 times. 2 on NCL for the 1 week and 3 on HAL for the 2 week. We lived an hours flight from Seattle and Alaska cruise prices are great. Regardless, our favorite port was Homer.  Back to Juneau, our favorite place to sit, eat, drink was at Hanger on the Wharf. The crab is delicious and I loved watching the sea planes land. I bought a beautiful pair of gloves with fox trim and a wall hanging made with sea glass, old bells and driftwood. (I bought another in Homer)

Praying and cheering for ALL our fellow posters. 

Gods blessings, Joy

• Like 18

48 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Whoa!  I couldn't handle being off 30 minutes from most of the rest of the world.  

Actually we’d match Newfoundland time if we did that.  They are 30 minutes difference from the rest of us and seem to be doing just fine 😉 

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm late to the party today because I slept in - I didn't nap yesterday, so I made up for it this morning.  We don't change our clocks here on the "frozen tundra", and haven't for at least 20 years.  We live with shorter days in winter, but enjoy the longer ones in summer. 

I'd love to be able to do crafts with our two grandsons, and know that will happen soon; I just have to remain patient.  Potato chips?  Yes, please, although I'm a purist - give me old fashioned plain unflavoured chips and I'm happy.  I love butterflies and all their colours - yesterday we did a Dollar Store run where I saw some beautiful cloth tablecloths with a butterfly pattern that I told DH I was going to make into accent pillows for our deck furniture.  Seriously, after nearly 44 years of marriage this man had the audacity to tell me he didn't like butterflies.  How could I not have known this?  He said he likes the real ones, but the patterns remind him of an aunt who was quite mean toward him when he was a child.  Apparently she had butterfly patterned furniture or something.  Go figure.

I like the menu suggestion today, but like @kazu, we've had chicken a lot lately.  In clearing out the ice cave I came across some pork chops that will end up on the barbecue tonight with a coffee apricot barbecue sauce on top.  Accompanied by baked potatoes and a salad, that's what will be on our dinner table tonight.

Another wine that speaks of river rock, graphite, mineral and earth - really, one day I'm going to try a wine with those descriptors just to see if I can pick out those notes!  Today's drink suggestion is one that can easily be adapted for a family by substituting ginger ale or Sprite for the rose, and would make a nice cooler on a warm summer's day.  

We haven't been to Alaska, and likely won't, especially since we have glaciers in our back yard for at least 5 months of the year, but I do enjoy seeing others photos.  Thanks for sharing them.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra hugs for Roy.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the happy list tonight.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 23

Good  morning to  all. Both  visits  to  Juneau  were  on  cloudy  days and  the  pictures  were nothing  to  write  home  about. We  went  whale  watching  and  rode  the  Tram to  the  top  of  Mt Roberts.

We  hope  to  return in  2023 if  at  all  possible.       Terry

• Like 15

Good morning everyone.I love potato chips and it’s true if you have one you can’t stop eating them. I think it’s the salt that gets you.

This is my second favorite day of the year. I love that we have an extra hour of light at the end of the day.

We we’re on a b2b on Alaska many years ago. Don’t recall what year, but it will be in my siggy.. We were there in the middle of a heatwave. It was 90:degrees everyday. The Walmart in Juneau was out of shorts. I had one pair I brought for exercising and thankfully I had them along. We went dog sledding in Juneau and it was fabulous. We also renewed our vows on that cruise. I have a picture of us up on the glacier and will try to upload it, but not sure I know how. Luckily, I saw some people coming down from the glacier and I grabbed a fleece jacket and a hat and needed them up there.

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 16

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily! ✏️

Yes, we've been on two cruises to Alaska--one from Vancouver and the other from SF. 👍 All good and enjoyed scenery .........can hardly wait to get back to cruising and sea days.🛳️

It's not a good idea for me to have potato chips in the house because I can not stop at just a few! 🤪

Prayers for all in need! 🙏

funny-national-potato-chips-day-graphic-full-color-mug.jpg

• Like 17

Good morning everyone!

DH and I have been to Alaska on 5 cruises, so we've seen Juneau 5 times - 2008, 2012, 2014 2017 and 2019!  We've done whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, Mt. Roberts, flightseeing to Misty Fjords, drinks and lunch at the Red Dawg Saloon, and lunch at the Hanger.  I'm including pictures of Misty Fjords - what an amazing tour with beautiful scenery!

Have a good day and stay safe everyone!

Laura

Misty Fjords from the seaplane, and Bill and I standing on the pontoon when we landed!

047.JPG

055.JPG

Edited by kplady
  • Like 25

6 minutes ago, kplady said:

Good morning everyone!

DH and I have been to Alaska on 5 cruises, so we've seen Juneau 5 times - 2008, 2012, 2014 2017 and 2019!  We've done whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier, Mt. Roberts, flightseeing to Misty Fjords, drinks and lunch at the Red Dawg Saloon, and lunch at the Hanger.  I'm including pictures of Misty Fjords - what an amazing tour with beautiful scenery!

Have a good day and stay safe everyone!

Laura

Misty Fjords from the seaplane, and Bill and I standing on the pontoon when we landed!

047.JPG

055.JPG

Very pretty!  You must have seen some beautiful scenery from above.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

A bill has been introduced into the Ontario legislature to end the bi-annual changing of the clocks.  If passed we would stay on DST.  They want Quebec and New York to do the same.  I wish them luck.

There are going to be some long dark winter mornings.  I think I am most curmudgeonly about DST.  My world was just fine when Standard Time was — well, Standard!

Happy Pi day though!

• Like 9

We visited Juneau twice, once in 2009 and again in 2015.  In 2015 we took the big blue bus, thinking we were going to Mendenhall Glacier.  But, we ended up at Walmart.  The bus broke down and we had to wait for a replacement to come rescue us.  We still got to Mendenhall, hiked to Nugget Falls and had a wonderful time despite gray, dreary clouds and little rain here and there.  The big rain waited until we got back into town.

Here Sister Sue and nephew Matt enjoy the trip to Walmart.

20150921_153621.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 2

Just now, Crazy For Cats said:

DH is this way all year long.  The kids know which one to get up for breakfast!😂

Ditto here 😄 😂. Nice to know I’m not alone 😉 

• Like 11

We have been to Alaska twice.  Once as an add on to a 10 week trip to Australia and New Zealand, cruising back from Sydney.  The other was with my sister and her husband.  She asked us to go, and because of work commitments we said no.  And then decided we could manage it.  Didn't tell them, and it was wonderful to knock on their cabin door and surprise them.  And a nice surprise for us, we were upgraded to a Neptune Suite for free!  Amazing warm weather for the last week of May.

• Like 14

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

If we MUST pick one time I support standard time cue to the effects of leaving before dawn on kids in school.

Agree. I was one of those who rode the bus. Those who were at the beginning of the routes had over an an hour on it in the morning. Dropped off high schoolers at 8:15 AM and then went to the elementary school.

• Like 7