The Daily for Sunday Mar 14, 2021

richwmn

27 minutes ago, superoma said:

I wish I would have kept a list of people attending. How great to have met you even if we didn’t know it!

I agree.  When I started reading the Daily, I recognized your CC name, but until today, I could not remember which cruise we were on together.  I know we have been on cruises with a few more on here, and I remember meeting a couple at the M&G.  It really is a small world.

Lenda

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, NextOne said:

I need some advice, please! I've convinced DH that we should take the Quebec to  FLL cruise on the NS in October 2022. Should our verandah be port or starboard? Thanks for your wisdom!

I would choose starboard.  We had a similar cruise on Rotterdam in 2018 Montreal to Tampa and picked starboard.  That way the US coastline was on our side in case we were close enough to see land.  Along the St. Lawrence River you'll have land on both sides.  You will enjoy it no matter which side you choose.  

• Like 12

Av8rix mentioned that she only went on a 7-day Alaska cruise once and HATED it!.  I understand exactly where she is coming from.  We once took a 21 day repositioning cruise from Asia to Vancouver and before we got to Vancouver we were offered a chance to stay on an extra week to do Alaska for a ridiculously low price - maybe $300.  We took them up on it and were amazed at the different ambiance aboard the ship.  Everyone was in a hurry to see and do everything in a week.  No one wanted to take the time to get to know anyone as they knew they would never see them after a few days.  If that was your first cruise you probably wouldn't notice it, but for those who enjoy long cruises, it was not enjoyable.

Ray

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Looking back through my pictures of Juneau, I realized the 12 I mentioned earlier were the ones on HAL.  We have also been there three times on Princess and once on the ferry, but that time we did not get off the boat.

In March or April, 2009, the Monarch butterfly migration came through Quartzsite, and for two days the house was surrounded by butterflies heading north.  I thought I had some pictures, but I can't find them.  It was an amazing sight.  We had two of DH's business associates here, and for two days, there was quite a bit less work done.  🦋

This has been a bittersweet week for us.  Our last granddog crossed the Rainbow Bridge Tuesday.  She was with her people (our DD and her SO) at home and was helped across by a vet who made house calls.  The next day, DD texted to see if we had any pictures of both of them with Molly.  Fortunately, I was able to find several taken when they visited. 

Molly was a lab mix who lived to be almost 15, a ripe old age for a larger dog.  As a puppy, she was, shall we say, very energic, and she embarrassed DD as she was the worst pupil in her obedience class.  Over the years, she settled down into a sweet dog, who loved her walks until two days before she died.

In the early years, @kazu's cartoon about squeaky toys applied to Molly too.  She did all right with hard rubber or plastic toys.  At least they would last longer.  She also loved rawhide bones, as you can see on the blanket next to her.  This picture was taken at Christmas 2014, and I think it was the best one we have.

Molly 2006-2021

DSC01712.thumb.JPG.ab00a03108231e76d5aaadc65a8bd0f6.JPG

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I have been on 2 Alaska cruises, in 1989 and in 2016. Saw the Mendenhall Glacier in1989 only and I am having a very difficult time reconcilling the photos I am seeing today with the photos I took then. The glacier has receeded so much and appears much smaller. In 2016 I took the Mt. Roberts Tram and just walked around the town. My favorite Alaska port however is Sitka.

Today is wonderful for me. I am feeling well, the weather is beautiful at 70F plenty of sunshine and no wind unlike the past few days which were cooler, rainy and very windy. PLUS I am over 14 days past my 2nd jab so I felt very comfortable attending Bible Study and Worship services at church today.  God is good!

My first time to attend services in person since before Thanksgiving.

Jane 

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 14

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you!  I will admit it took a few times, I'm so un-techie!  I found the easiest way for me is to do the + (insert photo) to get it where I wanted. 

Okay, I want to comment here. I am not a techie either but have had the benefit of a DH who is. The best advice he ever gave me was don’t worry about making a mistake, you can usually fix/undo

it (usually).  Second best advice was just to keep trying even if you make a mistake. There are tricks that you learn along the way through trial and error.    

And I think you did a FANTASTIC job!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NextOne said:

I need some advice, please! I've convinced DH that we should take the Quebec to  FLL cruise on the NS in October 2022. Should our verandah be port or starboard? Thanks for your wisdom!

Wee are on this same cruise!  We decided to book starboard but I am having second thoughts and might change it to an aft Vista. So excited about this one!  Let me know if you book. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Okay, I want to comment here. I am not a techie either but have had the benefit of a DH who is. The best advice he ever gave me was don’t worry about making a mistake, you can usually fix/undo

it (usually).  Second best advice was just to keep trying even if you make a mistake. There are tricks that you learn along the way through trial and error.    

And I think you did a FANTASTIC job!

@Cruising-along  I totally agree, but it helps if I get in over my head to call DH to help.  Over the years of trial and error it is happening less and less often.  And, in some cases, I've even had to show him a thing or two that I figured out!

And you did a great job with the pictures.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Looking back through my pictures of Juneau, I realized the 12 I mentioned earlier were the ones on HAL.  We have also been there three times on Princess and once on the ferry, but that time we did not get off the boat.

In March or April, 2009, the Monarch butterfly migration came through Quartzsite, and for two days the house was surrounded by butterflies heading north.  I thought I had some pictures, but I can't find them.  It was an amazing sight.  We had two of DH's business associates here, and for two days, there was quite a bit less work done.  🦋

This has been a bittersweet week for us.  Our last granddog crossed the Rainbow Bridge Tuesday.  She was with her people (our DD and her SO) at home and was helped across by a vet who made house calls.  The next day, DD texted to see if we had any pictures of both of them with Molly.  Fortunately, I was able to find several taken when they visited. 

Molly was a lab mix who lived to be almost 15, a ripe old age for a larger dog.  As a puppy, she was, shall we say, very energic, and she embarrassed DD as she was the worst pupil in her obedience class.  Over the years, she settled down into a sweet dog, who loved her walks until two days before she died.

In the early years, @kazu's cartoon about squeaky toys applied to Molly too.  She did all right with hard rubber or plastic toys.  At least they would last longer.  She also loved rawhide bones, as you can see on the blanket next to her.  This picture was taken at Christmas 2014, and I think it was the best one we have.

Molly 2006-2021

Lenda

Oh Lenda my heart hurts right now! Molly is beautiful and so loved! God bless her and 15 years is wonderful! They are the love of our lives!  She was blessed to have you and your dear family 

Denise🌈

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Oh Lenda my heart hurts right now! Molly is beautiful and so loved! God bless her and 15 years is wonderful! They are the love of our lives!  She was blessed to have you and your dear family 

Denise🌈

Thank you.  We did not see as much of Molly and our kids as we'd have liked.  DD and her SO are the ones who are really hurting as she was their baby.  DD said they would probably get another dog, but they need aome time to heal.

I forgot to mention Molly was a rescue dog. Yesterday, SO found the notice from the shelter when she was ten weeks old.  In the picture, you never saw such a sad puppy.  She was lucky and happy to have such a forever home.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Molly 2006-2021

Lenda

What a cutie!!  I am so sorry about Molly. Keep all your memories of her fresh in your mind. It is so hard to loose a beloved pet. It took me a really long time (9 years) to think about getting a new dog after our beloved Grisham. I always felt I was replacing him but after getting Blue I realize that he wasn’t a replacement for Grisham, he is his own unique personality. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I would choose starboard.  We had a similar cruise on Rotterdam in 2018 Montreal to Tampa and picked starboard.  That way the US coastline was on our side in case we were close enough to see land.  Along the St. Lawrence River you'll have land on both sides.  You will enjoy it no matter which side you choose.  

Thank you! That's what I was thinking.

Edited by NextOne
  • Like 5

A training session by the security officer and supervisor for Amsterdam's security detail as well as her bridge/nautical officers in the use of the LRAD which stands for Long Range Acoustic Device, both the stationary and portable versions. Amsterdam, on this journey, was going to be sailing in two areas known to be frequented by modern day pirates bend on attacking shipping, that being the South China Sea and certain waters off Indonesia. LRAD would be deployed/set up and ready for use in those areas as a means of defense against such attacks.

LRAD is both a speaker system and a sound energy defensive system developed in the early 2000s for use by the U.S. military with subsequent use by law enforcement, government and defense agencies, as well as maritime and commercial security companies. It renders sound in directional focus and at extreme volumes, allowing the user to make sound audible over greater distances, and with more geographical precision, than an ordinary loudspeaker. On November 5, 2005, the luxury cruise ship Seabourn Spirit employed an LRAD to repel Somali pirates who attacked the vessel with rocket propelled grenades (RPG) and Ak-47 fire about 115 km off the coast of Somalia. The attack was unsuccessful

121.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Wee are on this same cruise!  We decided to book starboard but I am having second thoughts and might change it to an aft Vista. So excited about this one!  Let me know if you book. 

Plan to do it tomorrow.  Have to move quickly before DH reconsider! What deck are you on? Thinking about 6,  midship.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning All, one of the cats wasn’t fooled by the time change and insisted that I get up at 5 to serve breakfast.  I’m looking forward to getting back to PA so I can get a fresh supply of Zerbes potato chips, they are very good.

Have you ever had Dieffenbachs or Goods chips . 2 more great PA made .

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for posting their photos and recollections of Juneau. I was there once on HAL and once on Celebrity. HAL was better. Anyway, the photos and recollections brought back happy memories of the Mendenhall glacier and the whale watching excursion. We saw orcas, dolphins, otters, and a bear. 

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Plan to do it tomorrow.  Have to move quickly before DH reconsider! What deck are you on? Thinking about 6,  midship.

Exactly where we are right now 6141. But, like I said earlier, I am strongly considering changing to an aft Vista on the same deck. Only thing I’m concerned about is the movement after Boston down the coast to Florida. 

This will be my third New England/Canada itinerary and DH’s second. I’m excited about the new ports including Saint John. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 8

I just looked back at my cruise history and I’ve been to Alaska 12 times . 1997 on the old Nieuw Amsterdam , I was the top Mariner onboard and was invited to the bridge to view Glacier Bay .

My last visit was in 2019 on the Eurodam. 
         Many great memories.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Molly 2006-2021

Lenda

Looking for the “Sending Hugs” button. I’m sorry to hear this. Fifteen years is long, BUT we never have enough time with our dogs.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I really want this painting in my bed room, can anyone help me with the name of the painter? I will try searching for it on the internet. I am sure I will find at least something looking similar to it 

Thank you!  Sorry just the one,  and I snagged it!  Helps make up for years of living with an artist who painted his room safety orange, navy blue and grass green!  He graduated art school and was the valedictorian and has had work shown many places but it is mostly installation art which my husband doesn’t understand cause you really can’t sell it.  We wished he painted more, maybe one day!  

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Molly 2006-2021

Lenda

I am  so  sorry  to  hear  about  Molly. 15 years is  quite  a  long  time and  it  is  a  huge  adjustment  when  they  leave us.        Terry

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1