Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What surprises me is the comment from some insurers that on board medical costs will not be covered. Why not, what is the difference between needing medical treatment on a staycation cruise, as opposed to a normal cruise?

I think it is just a blanket assumption by insurance companies that in the UK you will be treated by the NHS regardless of whether you are on a ship or not. In reality there should be no difference between the medical treatment. We are lucky here as we now know where we stand, how many people who have booked seacations will have considered that their insurance could be virtually worthless or read the small print. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What surprises me is the comment from some insurers that on board medical costs will not be covered. Why not, what is the difference between needing medical treatment on a staycation cruise, as opposed to a normal cruise?

That surprises me too. The policies clearly state that any medical expenses incurred are covered, there's no mention of where you are at the time. If you need medical attention on the ship you pay, it's private not NHS, therefore you can claim. Then again, I'm not and insurance company trying to mitigate my losses over the last 14 months.

Avril

All I can say having been in consultation with Staysure many times by telephone since Monday that dont take it for granted and if you are going on a UK waters cruise whatever the cruise line phone your travel insurance to get it confirmed before you travel it isnt worth the risk.

• Like 2

Exactly majortom, I assumed I would be covered with my platinum level but only up to a £1000 so not good enough and they wouldn’t budge on trying to sort something out , so I have found another one for the single trip for the princess cruise with International Travel and healthcare limited for £42 with on going health problems covered, repatriation  in uk waters and medical expenses on board up to £10,0000

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

People are not making a meal of it as it depends on your insurance company and many are just assuming that because they have European cover for annual cruise policy that it automatically covers you for Staycation/Seacation trips sailing from Southampton in UK waters and some calling at UK ports. I have spoken to Staysure and they have confirmed my policy does not cover me for these cruises but they have negotiated with their underwriters to cover P&O/Cunard ONLY at the moment and will send an endorsement out to confirm cover. All other cruise lines and mine which is Princess are not covered at this moment in time and this was as recent as speaking to Staysure within the last 30 minutes. 

So you are wrong automatically assuming that having European cruise cover will cover you for these cruise when it doesnt and not very responsible to accuse people of making a meal of it as people are very concerned.

I took it that Sharon meant other insurance companies by ‘the others’, not that people were making a meal of it. That’s how I read it anyway!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Exactly majortom, I assumed I would be covered with my platinum level but only up to a £1000 so not good enough and they wouldn’t budge on trying to sort something out , so I have found another one for the single trip for the princess cruise with International Travel and healthcare limited for £42 with on going health problems covered, repatriation  in uk waters and medical expenses on board up to £10,0000

Whilst £10K onboard fees should cover it, going by P&O's wording they want £2 million or you can't board.

11 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

I have had a quote for 7 day policy to cover my self and my wife for my Princess cruise with their recommended insurer(HE) and they have quoted me over £70+.

Do the insurance Stay/seacation issues go away if a cruise stops in at least one non UK port. We are booked on Princess in October that is due to stop at Guernsey (cruise ship ban could still be in place) and Cork.

I don't understand the UK waters bit, on normal International cruises from Southampton you are in UK waters for many hours after departure. Does that mean that if someone needs ship medical attention soon after departure insurance doesn't cover it?

Edited by Splice the mainbrace
Incorrect port stop, Cork not Dublin!

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Do the insurance Stay/seacation issues go away if a cruise stops in at least one non UK port. We are booked on Princess in October that is due to stop at Guernsey (cruise ship ban could still be in place) and Dublin.

I don't understand the UK waters bit, on normal International cruises from Southampton you are in UK waters for many hours after departure. Does that mean that if someone needs ship medical attention soon after departure insurance doesn't cover it?

October cruise is not classified as a Seacation cruise just a normal cruise so problems being suffered now trying to get insurance should not be a problem. It is not an issue being in UK waters as long as there is a port of call internationally or you are in foreign waters during the cruise.The problem is if on a UK waters where you are not stopping anywhere or if you do it is in UK then you are not travelling in foreign waters so European normal cruise insurance policy doesnt cover you with many companies.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

October cruise is not classified as a Seacation cruise just a normal cruise so problems being suffered now trying to get insurance should not be a problem. It is not an issue being in UK waters as long as there is a port of call internationally or you are in foreign waters during the cruise.The problem is if on a UK waters where you are not stopping anywhere or if you do it is in UK then you are not travelling in foreign waters so European normal cruise insurance policy doesnt cover you with many companies.

However the UK territorial limit is 12 miles and it is for France and Eire as well. So by briefly entering those foreign waters is the cruise deemed a foreign cruise?

33 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Whilst £10K onboard fees should cover it, going by P&O's wording they want £2 million or you can't board.

It’s 10 million I’m covered for so well within the 2 million they want , I just went with the one my travel agent recommended, I was happy with paying the amount to get all the correct insurance, don’t want to be turned away at the port 😉

52 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I had this response from StaySure...... 

Our policies do not provide cover for emergency medical treatment received within the UK as this would be free of charge via the National Health Service. (I didn't ask about shore based treatment, I asked about initial onboard treatment coverage) 

We are however, now able to offer the required medical cover for P&O and Cunard customers travelling on a ‘Staycation’ cruise solely around the British Iles, if you are travelling with either of these cruise lines, please contact our Customer Services Team on 0333 006 8033 to arrange for an endorsement to be sent to you via email.

Kind regards
Samuel

Interesting, I wonder how they define the "British Iles"? which of course includes all the islands including the whole of Ireland including Eire.

2 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I have just contacted Staysure and they have come up with an agreement for Staycation/Seacation cruises from Southampton but only with P&O/Cunard and NOT any other cruise line including Princess.

Told me the same. I have another trip booked with Princess so asked about endorsement for that too but we’re told they’ve not looked at Princess yet. I then pointed out that P&O, Cunard and Princess are all owned by Carnival and the reply was ‘they didn’t know that’.  I’ll ask again in a few weeks

I have just received this response from All Clear.

"If your Cruise is within UK waters and the NHS/EHIC will not cover any medical expenses due to being airlifted/repatriated then we will take over and provide cover for this."

This was in response to directly asking if they cover onboard medical cover.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

"If your Cruise is within UK waters and the NHS/EHIC will not cover any medical expenses due to being airlifted/repatriated then we will take over and provide cover for this."

Maybe I am overthinking this but I don't trust insurance companies or their use of weasly words to give themselves an opportunity to get out of paying, I can't see how you would be repatriated if you are in UK waters as you are in your own country. They say they would take over and provide cover due to being airlifted/repatriated, but what if you need medical treatment onboard and it is not deemed by the ships medical staff that it is serious enough to be airlifted. Would All Clear pay your medical expenses? Their wording might mean they will but it could also mean they wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Ardennais said:

I took it that Sharon meant other insurance companies by ‘the others’, not that people were making a meal of it. That’s how I read it anyway!

So did I. Same words read in different ways. 

Avril

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Maybe I am overthinking this but I don't trust insurance companies or their use of weasly words to give themselves an opportunity to get out of paying, I can't see how you would be repatriated if you are in UK waters as you are in your own country. They say they would take over and provide cover due to being airlifted/repatriated, but what if you need medical treatment onboard and it is not deemed by the ships medical staff that it is serious enough to be airlifted. Would All Clear pay your medical expenses? Their wording might mean they will but it could also mean they wouldn't.

I have gone back to them and asked "If I fell ill onboard and needed treatment, would that cost be covered?"

I shall keep you updated.

Another questions anyone wants asking of All Clear?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

Sorry, but you need to look at the Policy as you are NOT covered within UK Territorial Waters

I got as far as a quote for the Policy which is supposedly for UK Insurance including Cruise

https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/images/alc/AllClear_Options_Policy_Booklet_GP.pdf

Section 6 Medical emergency expenses

Please remember this section does not apply if you become ill or are injured during trips in your home area.

This section applies to: a) trips outside the United Kingdom; b) if you are a Channel Islands resident visiting other parts of the United Kingdom; c) if you are visiting the Channel Islands from other parts of the United Kingdom; cover does not apply otherwise to trips within the United Kingdom.

YOU ARE COVERED Up to £15,000,000 for costs incurred outside your home country

I  believe All Clear need to issue a new policy booklet for the staycation cruises as they do say they cover you in UK waters. 

53 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

The response does not answer your question plus what is their definition of UK waters?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Having read her post again that's how I read it too that the insurance companies are making a meal of it.

• Like 3

Surely once you board your ship in Southampton, you are leaving your “home area”.

Say for example you fall down the stairs after boarding, still in port, and break your leg, you would initially be attended by the ships medical staff. This cost will be paid by you and should be recovered on your insurance. NHS cover will only start once you are off the ship.

This situation could happen whether you are on normal cruise or a staycation one. I don’t see the difference. The 12 mile limit does not come into it.

Brian

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Surely once you board your ship in Southampton, you are leaving your “home area”.

Say for example you fall down the stairs after boarding, still in port, and break your leg, you would initially be attended by the ships medical staff. This cost will be paid by you and should be recovered on your insurance. NHS cover will only start once you are off the ship.

This situation could happen whether you are on normal cruise or a staycation one. I don’t see the difference. The 12 mile limit does not come into it.

Brian

If you are within UK territory whether it be land or sea most of the policies do not cover you for onboard medical expenses, that has been clearly stated. Whether it makes sense or not is irrelevant. Even looking at some of the replies people have had from their insurers and wording used I would not want to test it. 

• Like 1

Out of interest, has anybody on here had onboard emergency medical treatment on one of the normal round UK cruises that call in at various UK ports? Did your insurance cover these onboard bills (which seem to be the sticking point with these cruises to nowhere)? I cannot see why remaining at sea for the whole cruise rather than making stops makes any difference. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aladdin22 said:

Told me the same. I have another trip booked with Princess so asked about endorsement for that too but we’re told they’ve not looked at Princess yet. I then pointed out that P&O, Cunard and Princess are all owned by Carnival and the reply was ‘they didn’t know that’.  I’ll ask again in a few weeks

They didnt know Princess was part of the same company i.e. Carnival as P&O/Cunard initially she thought that Princess was owned by P&O and when she told me that it had been agreed and would send me the endorsement to say I was covered she said "I will put down P&O" and when I said no she backtracked and said I wasnt covered. 

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

Brian

But that is the problem if that scenario happened of course if you were disembarked and taken to hospital you would be treated by NHS free of charge but the onboard costs prior to being disembarked would not be covered by insurance. I have had this confirmed by my insurance company who say the difference is the normal cruise is intending to leave UK waters and calling at foreign ports so you would be covered. If the ship is not calling at any foreign port and staying with UK waters then the treatment onboard would not be covered by NHS and so P&O would charge you and if you tried to claim from your insurance they would refuse. Unless they have pre arranged an agreement to cover you as it is not automatic, so if I was you I would ring your travel insurance to see where you stand just to make sure.