Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

OK when ashore that's the NHS Unless you end up in France or Eire.

Or Jersey or Guernsey.  They were also not covered by the EHIC card, though not sure what the situation is now.  Looks like you need to be resident for 6 months in Jersey before you can apply for their NHS equivalent.  Not looked in detail at Guernsey, but seems to be much the same.  Also not looked at the Isle of Man, another Crown Dependency.

If you holiday in The Channel Isles, you need travel insurance.  

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Are you saying that if you fell on deck and broke your arm, were then treated aboard ship as you would expect, unless there were major complications that Staysure would not cover the onboard medical expenses?

I was always under the impression that onboard medical were covered by insurance after the excess. If not, why do they give you all the relevent information of medical details and monies paid? 

Avril

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I was always under the impression that onboard medical were covered by insurance after the excess. If not, why do they give you all the relevent information of medical details and monies paid? 

Avril

I think the confusion is based around the UK cruises Avril, I understand the logic that you can be treated freely on the NHS but if you are on a ship within UK territorial waters then you do not have access to the NHS and depending on the circumstances may not for many hours. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, miniyorkie said:

Surely a misunderstanding of some kind with the insurer and OP initial question. Surely all Travel insurance that include cruise cover would cover any onboard medical requirements. I have booked a staycation cruise but not  ventured into the insurance purchase as yet. Waiting for the perfect answer on here as someone always provides the solution. 

It does sound odd, but if an insurance company can wriggle out of paying up, I am sure they will do so.  I would also not want to rely on verbal information from an insurance company as their member of staff could get it wrong (to the benefit of either themselves or the insured person) and you would be reliant on them being prepared to route out a tape of your conversation. 

I would also not want to rely on what someone says on a forum at any time about any legal matter, though is often a useful starting point for information.   So that rather lazy way of clarifying a legal position would not be my stance.  The only way to sort it is to read policy documents carefully and then ask questions in writing of your proposed insurer.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think the confusion is based around the UK cruises Avril, I understand the logic that you can be treated freely on the NHS but if you are on a ship within UK territorial waters then you do not have access to the NHS and depending on the circumstances may not for many hours. 

Which is precisely my point Phil. Even though you're in UK waters the medical onboard is not NHS, therefore you have to pay for treatment and as such should be able to claim, as states on the policies. It's either that or claim for transportation from the ship to a UK hospital and curtailment of your cruise.

Avril

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Which is precisely my point Phil. Even though you're in UK waters the medical onboard is not NHS, therefore you have to pay for treatment and as such should be able to claim, as states on the policies. It's either that or claim for transportation from the ship to a UK hospital and curtailment of your cruise.

Avril

This is why I queried what the OP posted, so to not confuse matters more. I was under the impression that you were covered for medical expenses once you boarded the ship, you could fall before you even left port, you would be treated by onboard medical staff and may not need further treatment, and I would expect my insurer to cover the costs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

It does sound odd, but if an insurance company can wriggle out of paying up, I am sure they will do so.  I would also not want to rely on verbal information from an insurance company as their member of staff could get it wrong (to the benefit of either themselves or the insured person) and you would be reliant on them being prepared to route out a tape of your conversation. 

I would also not want to rely on what someone says on a forum at any time about any legal matter, though is often a useful starting point for information.   So that rather lazy way of clarifying a legal position would not be my stance.  The only way to sort it is to read policy documents carefully and then ask questions in writing of your proposed insurer.  

Exactly my thinking. It’s only the actual policy wording that counts - not even the summary so conveniently provided. And sometimes there’s even a clause making it clear that the policy wording will override all statements by employees or agents, written or verbal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I was at work when the collision happened, and my employer was very supportive.  So in that respect I was very lucky.

They arranged for The Ole Lady to stay in a hotel close to Lewisham hospital.  The Ole Lady got me some clothes from a second hand shop as bringing some stuff from home wasn't on her mind at the time.  Employer arranged for one of the guys to take us home when that time came.  

Had I not been at work, I suppose The Ole Lady would have had to make her own way to the hospital and we would have used taxis and trains to get home.  The physiotherapist made sure I could hobble about and get up and down stairs before they let me go.

Wow - you had a great employer and an even greater Ole Lady.  Thanks SoA for finishing the story for me.  Have a great weekend.  Best wishes.  Jane.x

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Going back to the original comment, can broken bones be dealt with on P&O, ther than a temporary splint?  I am thinking of about three or four years ago when I fell and injured a finger at the end of our day in Reunion, when on Fred's Boudicca.  I went to the ship's medical centre when it opened and it was arranged for me to have an X-ray in Mauritius the next day, (or day after), when the ship docked.  It is possible the larger ships have small X-ray machines and capability to read Xrays, but I am not convinced.  Some bones will be obviously broken though, so may be possible to deal with. 

Bit of a problem getting the cover for these 3/4 day cruises. As with other posts my insurance company through our bank does not cover theses short cruises as they are in your home area and not having a scheduled port call. When doing online searches many give cruise cover but on further reading this is only  covers for missed port, cabin confinement etc not for repatriation.  It is definitely worth talking to someone and not just getting a quote on the internet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tring said:

Going back to the original comment, can broken bones be dealt with on P&O, ther than a temporary splint?  I am thinking of about three or four years ago when I fell and injured a finger at the end of our day in Reunion, when on Fred's Boudicca.  I went to the ship's medical centre when it opened and it was arranged for me to have an X-ray in Mauritius the next day, (or day after), when the ship docked.  It is possible the larger ships have small X-ray machines and capability to read Xrays, but I am not convinced.  Some bones will be obviously broken though, so may be possible to deal with. 

We have done several Atlantic crossings where people have been potted up on P&O. I don't know if that was effective till they got home or whether they were shipped to hospital at the first opportunity.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, yorkshirephil said:

We have done several Atlantic crossings where people have been potted up on P&O. I don't know if that was effective till they got home or whether they were shipped to hospital at the first opportunity.

While on Arcadia world 2020 my wife fell and broke her wrist this was frayed and put in plaster on the ship we then went to the hospital Perth were it was decided no operation needed and we got back on the ship. there was another lady that was at the hospital at the same time and they were flown home we think as they did not get back on the ship.

We were medically discharged from the ship and had to pack everything up, was contacted by P&O Australia to see if we needed accommodation or anything.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:11 PM, davecttr said:

That's what he said! Looks like a catch 22 situation to me. You HAVE to have cover for onboard medical expenses, it would be crazy not to. OK when ashore that's the NHS Unless you end up in France or Eire.

Did Staysure say why they would not cover onboard medical expenses?

Just been on chat with Staysure - reiterated what is stated on their website under exclusions - NO medical coverage or repatriation for these UK based cruises - they have taken my details to pass onto a sister company that is - possibly - going to offer such coverage - will update when I have a conversation with them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, teabear said:

Just been on chat with Staysure - reiterated what is stated on their website under exclusions - NO medical coverage or repatriation for these UK based cruises - they have taken my details to pass onto a sister company that is - possibly - going to offer such coverage - will update when I have a conversation with them.

Thanks, I notice that when Which ranked travel insurance they listed 14 companies for their COVID cover Staysure was not one of them.

I also checked Fred Olsen this morning and they are running 'staycation' cruises plus their recommended insurance provider is the same one as P&O recommend.

32 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Thanks, I notice that when Which ranked travel insurance they listed 14 companies for their COVID cover Staysure was not one of them.

I also checked Fred Olsen this morning and they are running 'staycation' cruises plus their recommended insurance provider is the same one as P&O recommend.

Let us be honest P&O only recommend them likewise Cunard and Princess not because they are the best but because they get paid by them for recommending them. During the problems of last year they were one of the travel connected companies getting awful publicity for their actions and Carnival UK have been recommending them for years it is not a recent thing due to the pandemic or the recent seacation cruises.

Holiday extras are rubbish. I paid  extra for a fully refundable hotel room pre flight, pre cruise and it took  weeks and MANY emails to get my money back. I had to band with others on a FB forum to get any leverage that I could. They only repaid me when I proved I was an NHS  worker. That's awful, I  felt so bad for the  others,just left with nothing.  I still don't know if they paid out what people were owed. 

I expect that was only to get some good publicity.

HE tried to change their T&C's and altering their website. People took screenshots proving they had.

Never say never but personally I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. They could teach eels how to wriggle out of anything. 

I'm probably late to the party but I chatted with All Clear this morning, copied and pasted P&Os insurance requirements onto the chat, and the advisor said that this whole issue had been passed onto their underwriters to look at and that she was going to get back to me.  When I hear back I will update 😀 

Edited by shopaholic6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, shopaholic6 said:

I'm probably late to the party but I chatted with All Clear this morning, copied and pasted P&Os insurance requirements onto the chat, and the advisor said that this whole issue had been passed onto their underwriters to look at and that she was going to get back to me.  When I hear back I will update 😀 

That is very strange as I have done exactly the same thing with All Clear. I'm also waiting to hear from P&O if they think a policy from All Clear is suitable.

I know the insurance has to fit your requirements etc but it still has to accepted by P&O and I would rather have the battle now and not while trying to board. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

That is very strange as I have done exactly the same thing with All Clear. I'm also waiting to hear from P&O if they think a policy from All Clear is suitable.

I know the insurance has to fit your requirements etc but it still has to accepted by P&O and I would rather have the battle now and not while trying to board. 

Yes and me! It's so confusing!!  The last thing I want to do is get to Southampton and find it's not suitable! 🤦‍♀️

• Like 2

We really need a set of requirements from P&O which are the minimum needed in a policy for their staycation cruises. Armed with them we can then seek out companies which will meet those requirements.  If a policy meets P&O's published requirements I can't see how they can refuse it on boarding but we need belt and braces here. Lots of companies are providing these cruises so it will soon be obvious if there are problems. For those with later cruises, my final payment is due late July, any problems should be obvious by then.

All Clear is on the Which list (last October) who have COVID cover, specifically :-

> medical and medical repatriation for COVID

> cover for cancellation if you catch COVID before travel

> cancellation for self isolation through test and trace

What the list of 14 companies will not cover for is :-

> changing government travel advice

> government action or lockdown

Some questions which come to mind :-

> What is their definition of Europe, seems obvious to me, the UK is part of Europe

> Do they cover onboard medical costs for a closed loop cruise

> Do they cover onboard medical costs for a cruise calling only at UK ports

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, davecttr said:

We really need a set of requirements from P&O which are the minimum needed in a policy for their staycation cruises. Armed with them we can then seek out companies which will meet those requirements.  If a policy meets P&O's published requirements I can't see how they can refuse it on boarding but we need belt and braces here. Lots of companies are providing these cruises so it will soon be obvious if there are problems. For those with later cruises, my final payment is due late July, any problems should be obvious by then.

All Clear is on the Which list (last October) who have COVID cover, specifically :-

> medical and medical repatriation for COVID

> cover for cancellation if you catch COVID before travel

> cancellation for self isolation through test and trace

What the list of 14 companies will not cover for is :-

> changing government travel advice

> government action or lockdown

Some questions which come to mind :-

> What is their definition of Europe, seems obvious to me, the UK is part of Europe

> Do they cover onboard medical costs for a closed loop cruise

> Do they cover onboard medical costs for a cruise calling only at UK ports

AllClear ticked all the P&O boxes that I could tell until the question of repatriation from a cruise ship in British waters reared its head. AllClear where not sure on that point and referred to the underwriters although an air lift in international waters is covered! 🤦‍♂️