Travel Insurance cruise cover.

majortom10

29 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

I’ve had a detailed reply from P&O. I’m now reassured as I have this, but still nothing from Holiday Extras. But as P&O are recommending them I’m happy. This is what they have said. 

We have been in contact with Holiday Extras who have ensured us that the policies they are offering offer the sufficient cover for our cruises. 

The insurance will pay to get you back to your home country I.e the UK but then from that point onwards all medical treatment etc will have to be picked up by the NHS and not paid for with travel insurance. So in the case of a UK cruise if passengers get sick at sea the insurance would cover repatriation back to the mainland and transfer to a hospital but then after that it is up to the NHS or your own private medical cover to treat the condition. 

All of the policies (Bronze, Silver & Gold) provide cover for repatriation as a result of emergency and necessary medical treatment if it is medically necessary and safe to do so including but not limited to evacuations form the ship by helicopter to a local medical facility. 

Finally £2 million is the total combined amount for medical coverage and repatriation and does not need to be valued separately. 

I hope this information provides you with some assurance you will be covered with everything needed to travel on one of our cruises when purchasing holiday insurance through Holiday Extras, if there is anything else I can help with at all please do not hesitate to contact me. 

However - Take this example, you are hospitalised in Aberdeen and have a stay of 14 days, after which you are fit to be discharged for further convalescence but you are not mobile. HOW do you travel home to Southampton, you can't drive, there is nobody to come and collect you, train or plane also difficult? Does the P&O recommended insurance cover that?

Who pays for you to get home and who organises it?

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

However - Take this example, you are hospitalised in Aberdeen and have a stay of 14 days, after which you are fit to be discharged for further convalescence but you are not mobile. HOW do you travel home to Southampton, you can't drive, there is nobody to come and collect you, train or plane also difficult? Does the P&O recommended insurance cover that?

Who pays for you to get home and who organises it?

I wasn't on holiday when it happened, but years ago I spent a week in hospital in Lewisham after a bike accident.  Once I was fit to be sent home (steel rods in one foot, walking with one crutch because I had a broken collar bone so couldn't use two) it was down to me to get from Lewisham to Sarfend...

Also the only clothes I had were my bike leather trousers and one boot.  Jacket and shirt had been cut up by the paramedics....

I’ve organised our travel insurance for our Iona Uk Cruise in September today after speaking to an advisor at Holiday Extras. I was told to book the cruise insurance for Europe not including Spain. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the home/foreign office still advises against cruising when you book the insurance it would appear to me you are still not covered. Only when they say its safe to travel the insurance will kick in. Not sure how P&O will spot this at check-in but it needs to be looked at> I have checked my HSBC insurance and it doesnt cover At Home insurance or having booked a cruise while the government says its not safe to travel

• Like 1

Holiday extras standard Gold policy only covers you to up to £2000pp for cancellation so be careful if you have paid more than that per person and you have to ask Help Team on website to arrange a call back and tell you what extra you would have to pay if you want more than £2000pp cover.

4 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Nothing yet from Bank in writing to change what they said that UK waters repatriation is not covered. I have this afternoon received the following from P&O re their recommended policy via Holiday Extras which gives me comfort. The person at P&O went the extra mile to clarify. 

We have been in contact with Holiday Extras who have ensured us that the policies they are offering offer the sufficient cover for our cruises. 

The insurance will pay to get you back to your home country I.e the UK but then from that point onwards all medical treatment etc will have to be picked up by the NHS and not paid for with travel insurance. So in the case of a UK cruise if passengers get sick at sea the insurance would cover repatriation back to the mainland and transfer to a hospital but then after that it is up to the NHS or your own private medical cover to treat the condition. 

All of the policies (Bronze, Silver & Gold) provide cover for repatriation as a result of emergency and necessary medical treatment if it is medically necessary and safe to do so including but not limited to evacuations form the ship by helicopter to a local medical facility.

Finally £2 million is the total combined amount for medical coverage and repatriation and does not need to be valued separately. 

I hope this information provides you with some assurance you will be covered with everything needed to travel on one of our cruises when purchasing holiday insurance through Holiday Extras, if there is anything else I can help with at all please do not hesitate to contact me. 

But be careful with Holidayextras because their Gold policy only covers you for £2000pp if you have to cancel your cruise Staysure is £5000pp.

1 hour ago, CCFC said:

If the home/foreign office still advises against cruising when you book the insurance it would appear to me you are still not covered. Only when they say its safe to travel the insurance will kick in. Not sure how P&O will spot this at check-in but it needs to be looked at> I have checked my HSBC insurance and it doesnt cover At Home insurance or having booked a cruise while the government says its not safe to travel

Why would P&O want to spot that? If its true, they'd end up having to refuse most of the passengers! I'm sure someone has already looked into this and most insurance companies will cover you as long as you're not travelling against the FCO advice. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Why would P&O want to spot that? If its true, they'd end up having to refuse most of the passengers! I'm sure someone has already looked into this and most insurance companies will cover you as long as you're not travelling against the FCO advice. 

If you need to claim it would be invalid apparently.

2 hours ago, CCFC said:

I queried this with Staysure yesterday and they said it doesnt matter if you were under lockdown when you took out the insurance or booked a cruise as long as you were not going against FCDO advice not to travel when you actually did the cruise. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I queried this with Staysure yesterday and they said it doesnt matter if you were under lockdown when you took out the insurance or booked a cruise as long as you were not going against FCDO advice not to travel when you actually did the cruise. 

See post #2 of this thread.🙂😉

• Like 1

The key here is not always cost. It’s detailed knowledge of when a policy will pay out. The worry I had was repatriation in a medical emergency from a cruise ship in uk waters. Lots of companies I contacted did not cover this or had a small UK repatriation limit of under £10k. The headline will often be £m’s of cover but that often only kicks in when you leave the UK. Please be careful. 

58 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

But be careful with Holidayextras because their Gold policy only covers you for £2000pp if you have to cancel your cruise Staysure is £5000pp.

Does staysure cover repatriation from a ship in UK waters sufficient to cover a helicopter evacuation?

25 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

The key here is not always cost. It’s detailed knowledge of when a policy will pay out. The worry I had was repatriation in a medical emergency from a cruise ship in uk waters. Lots of companies I contacted did not cover this or had a small UK repatriation limit of under £10k. The headline will often be £m’s of cover but that often only kicks in when you leave the UK. Please be careful. 

I am still confused over this and so I tried the holiday extras link, after medical screening the price was double that quoted by the post office for the same cover. Is there any way of actually talking to someone at the company so I can ask specific questions of a 'does this policy cover this circumstance' nature.

Can you have a separate policy from another company just covering the UK that would pay medical expenses for say transferring you from one end of the country to the other?

Has the P&O approved insurance company provided written confirmation that a policy taken out with them will comply with the requirements set out by P&O?

Edited by davecttr

13 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I wasn't on holiday when it happened, but years ago I spent a week in hospital in Lewisham after a bike accident.  Once I was fit to be sent home (steel rods in one foot, walking with one crutch because I had a broken collar bone so couldn't use two) it was down to me to get from Lewisham to Sarfend...

Also the only clothes I had were my bike leather trousers and one boot.  Jacket and shirt had been cut up by the paramedics....

Because I'm nosey, and like to know the end of a story, what happened in the end? How did you get home? J.x

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Beckett said:

Because I'm nosey, and like to know the end of a story, what happened in the end? How did you get home? J.x

I was at work when the collision happened, and my employer was very supportive.  So in that respect I was very lucky.

They arranged for The Ole Lady to stay in a hotel close to Lewisham hospital.  The Ole Lady got me some clothes from a second hand shop as bringing some stuff from home wasn't on her mind at the time.  Employer arranged for one of the guys to take us home when that time came.  

Had I not been at work, I suppose The Ole Lady would have had to make her own way to the hospital and we would have used taxis and trains to get home.  The physiotherapist made sure I could hobble about and get up and down stairs before they let me go.

Spoke to staysure this morning. They say that their cover does include repatriation but does not include medical treatment within uk waters. I asked if I broke arm falling on deck and saw the ships doctor for treatment whether it would be covered. They said no.

Spoke to staysure this morning re uk cruises. They say that their cover does include repatriation but does not include medical treatment within uk waters. I asked if I broke arm falling on deck and saw the ships doctor for treatment whether it would be covered. They said no.

Spoke to staysure this morning the uk cruises. They say that their cover does include repatriation but does not include medical treatment within uk waters. I asked if I broke arm falling on deck and saw the ships doctor for treatment whether it would be covered. They said no.

Spoke to staysure this morning. They say that their cover does include repatriation but does not include medical treatment within uk waters. I asked if I broke arm falling on deck and saw the ships doctor for treatment whether it would be covered. They said no.

11 minutes ago, Stu UK said:

Spoke to staysure this morning re uk cruises. They say that their cover does include repatriation but does not include medical treatment within uk waters. I asked if I broke arm falling on deck and saw the ships doctor for treatment whether it would be covered. They said no.

Are you saying that if you fell on deck and broke your arm, were then treated aboard ship as you would expect, unless there were major complications that Staysure would not cover the onboard medical expenses?

20 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Are you saying that if you fell on deck and broke your arm, were then treated aboard ship as you would expect, unless there were major complications that Staysure would not cover the onboard medical expenses?

That's what he said! Looks like a catch 22 situation to me. You HAVE to have cover for onboard medical expenses, it would be crazy not to. OK when ashore that's the NHS Unless you end up in France or Eire.

Did Staysure say why they would not cover onboard medical expenses?

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

That's what he said! Looks like a catch 22 situation to me. You HAVE to have cover for onboard medical expenses, it would be crazy not to. OK when ashore that's the NHS Unless you end up in France or Eire.

Did Staysure say why they would not cover onboard medical expenses?

Surely a misunderstanding of some kind with the insurer and OP initial question. Surely all Travel insurance that include cruise cover would cover any onboard medical requirements. I have booked a staycation cruise but not  ventured into the insurance purchase as yet. Waiting for the perfect answer on here as someone always provides the solution. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, miniyorkie said:

Surely a misunderstanding of some kind with the insurer and OP initial question. Surely all Travel insurance that include cruise cover would cover any onboard medical requirements. I have booked a staycation cruise but not  ventured into the insurance purchase as yet. Waiting for the perfect answer on here as someone always provides the solution. 

That was my line of thinking which is why I asked my question. This topic has become quite convoluted, and as usual littered with guesswork and misunderstandings. Insurance is an important facet of any holiday and terms and conditions are open to misinterpretation further muddled by the P&O requirements and whether their own partner actually meets said requirements.

• Like 1