Royal Requiring Covid Vaccines To Sail? Not so fast says Governor DeSantis!

I just read where Royal is starting to sail again in June 2021.  Fantastic!  However Crusiecritic's article states they will require proof of Covid vaccine to board.  This past week Florida Governor DeSantis stated that he would not allow businesses in Florida to require proof of Covid vaccines to accomodate clientel.  Royal is based in Florida and many, many of it's ships sail from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  How is this going to play out?  Royal needs to check with the Governor's office.

Although the cruise lines have corporate offices in Florida, they are not Florida corporations.  They are not even US corporations.  RCG is incorporated in Liberia, Carnival is incorporated in Panama and NCL is incorporated in Bermuda. The ships are flagged in many different nations.

Governor DeSantis has no say on what the cruise lines can or can not require.  PortMiami is governed by the Miami-Dade County Mayor and again DeSantis has no say on what happens there either. 

• Like 12

19 minutes ago, DryMartini said:

I just read where Royal is starting to sail again in June 2021.  Fantastic!  However Crusiecritic's article states they will require proof of Covid vaccine to board.  This past week Florida Governor DeSantis stated that he would not allow businesses in Florida to require proof of Covid vaccines to accomodate clientel.  Royal is based in Florida and many, many of it's ships sail from Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  How is this going to play out?  Royal needs to check with the Governor's office.

Not sailing out of Florida, so not an issue.

There is no state mask mandate by action of DeSantis but private businesses can require a mask.  

While DeSantis can control state government.  He does not have absolute control over private businesses.

• “I just want to make very clear in Florida, we are not doing any vaccine passports,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said during his news conference on Thursday afternoon. “I think it’s a bad idea. And so that will not happen. And so folks should get vaccinated if they want to obviously provide that. But under no circumstances will the state be asking you to show proof of vaccination.

• “And I don’t think private companies should be doing that either,” added DeSantis. “So we’re going to look into see what we need to do to be able to make sure we’re protecting Floridians. But I do think it would be a big problem to start going down the road of vaccine passports.”

He doesn't think private business should require a vaccination passport but he stopped short of saying he is banning private business from requiring them because he likely can't issue that order.  No governor has unlimited power.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is no state mask mandate by action of DeSantis but private businesses can require a mask.  

While DeSantis can control state government.  He does not have absolute control over private businesses.

• “I just want to make very clear in Florida, we are not doing any vaccine passports,” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said during his news conference on Thursday afternoon. “I think it’s a bad idea. And so that will not happen. And so folks should get vaccinated if they want to obviously provide that. But under no circumstances will the state be asking you to show proof of vaccination.

• “And I don’t think private companies should be doing that either,” added DeSantis. “So we’re going to look into see what we need to do to be able to make sure we’re protecting Floridians. But I do think it would be a big problem to start going down the road of vaccine passports.”

He doesn't think private business should require a vaccination passport but he stopped short of saying he is banning private business from requiring them because he likely can't issue that order.  No governor has unlimited power.

Interesting how some Posters misunderstood what was said. Thanks for Posting

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You know this how?

The testing rank? I use wordometer.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Florida moved up a couple of notches to #24  since I last looked @ 1.1 million tests per million. Cali has fallen a few notches as well to #16 @  1.3 million per million.  At one point, it was in the top 5. NY has the #4 spot @ 2.1 million tests per million.  RI and Mass grab the top 2 spots.

As for everything, total conjecture on my part.  I'm not hating on Florida but casting a wary eye on it's "good" numbers. The more you test, the more you'll find.

That's all....nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 2