Cruise lines requiring COVID-19 vaccination

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Our mob are not scared enough as we have had it so good apart from Victoria. It would serve the anti mob and the cowards right if the Gov bowed to pressure and said OK you lot, you had your chance, we are throwing the borders open, no 2 weeks quarantine required. As far as I'm concerned if they don't want to be saved then they can take their chances.

Except the unvaccinated ones put us all at risk by increasing the load of disease in the community.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

Well we had our AZ last Thursday the 19th at our local Medical Centre and we are booked for our second shot on Wednesday the 30th June, all 8 doctors at the centre are doing the same timing.

Well, there you go - that’s how NSW are getting such high numbers:- get everyone who is happy to have the vaccine back in just 6 WKS - boost the vaccine number rate and look like stars 😉

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Well, there you go - that’s how NSW are getting such high numbers:- get everyone who is happy to have the vaccine back in just 6 WKS - boost the vaccine number rate and look like stars 😉

My az shots are 12 weeks apart, dont know why one surgery is 6 weeks.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Not all NSW GPs, our second shots are in 12 weeks. 

17 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

The majority would be following the TGA’s guidance.

I cant understand why a GP would go against their recommendations.

Maybe they want to be paid quicker by the Government.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Except the unvaccinated ones put us all at risk by increasing the load of disease in the community.

Also, when the vaccine spreads, it replicates. With each replication, there is a chance for mutation to something more contagious, more deadly, more drug-resistant, and perhaps to something vaccine-resistant. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Also, when the vaccine spreads, it replicates. With each replication, there is a chance for mutation to something more contagious, more deadly, more drug-resistant, and perhaps to something vaccine-resistant. 

"vaccine spreads" ? Is this a typo? Virus spreads perhaps?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

"vaccine spreads" ? Is this a typo? Virus spreads perhaps?

I think most of us understand MamaFej meant virus.🙂.

MamaFej hypothesis of viral spread amongst people refusing to get vaccinated causing mutations of the virus is a real concern. Hence why we need a much higher vaccination rate to stop this occurring. If the virus hits large groups of vaccinated people it is stopped as it can't spread. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

And that's exactly what's happening in many places around the world. 

Not getting vaccinated is not really an option with this awful virus. The world has changed and we no longer have the option of the luxury of deciding if we feel like having the vaccination or just letting those around us carry the responsibility of getting vaccinated and protecting us. We all have to have it to have any chance of being protected and getting back to overseas travel which a lot of people want to do.

7 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The vaccine improves in efficiency with the longer time between shots - 12 weeks. Bit worrying that some places are getting people back sooner.

Yes, scary.

14 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The vaccine improves in efficiency with the longer time between shots - 12 weeks. Bit worrying that some places are getting people back sooner.

The original interval as 3 weeks or 4 weeks depending on the vaccine. Then with the short supply it began to be stretched as authorities adopted the "get more people at least one shot" strategy, if there was any increase in efficacy it was by accident not design. In British Columbia it was stretched to 16 weeks (not the 14 I mentioned earlier). Thousands of people got the 2 doses of vaccine in the original time frame, and with the more abundant supply coming on line we are hoping to move up second doses so we have more people "fully vaccinated" in a timely fashion.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 2:04 AM, Blackduck59 said:

The original interval as 3 weeks or 4 weeks depending on the vaccine. Then with the short supply it began to be stretched as authorities adopted the "get more people at least one shot" strategy, if there was any increase in efficacy it was by accident not design. In British Columbia it was stretched to 16 weeks (not the 14 I mentioned earlier). Thousands of people got the 2 doses of vaccine in the original time frame, and with the more abundant supply coming on line we are hoping to move up second doses so we have more people "fully vaccinated" in a timely fashion.

We're talking about the AstraZeneca vaccine here as that is what most of us will be receiving. It's the ruling of the TGA, our therapeutic goods regulatory body, that dictates the 12 week spacing between first and second dose here in Australia. I assume they based that decision on the reportedly higher efficacy with that gap, as per the AZ report into their phase three trials.

Of course, in countries under stress, they're doing whatever they can or whatever works best logistically, and using tight supplies to best advantage (as per UK).

21 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

12 weeks is what we are waiting for and what was originally organised but as UK startd the 6 weeks and found it excellent some doctors are copying

The British Medical Journal, earlier this year published an article which stated 'The UK’s approach of leaving an interval of three months between doses of the Oxford AstraZeneca covid-19 vaccine has been supported by new data, with the Oxford University researchers also saying the vaccine “may have a substantial impact on transmission.”

British Medical Journal Article

From what I can find, the only reason the UK has changed the time between first and second vaccinations is to ensure that all over 50s are fully vaccinated  - this is for two reasons - the UK govt s very worried about the Indian varient of the virus and secondly they want to re-open up the country. The recommended time between doses for over 50s and the vulnerable is now 8 weeks. For those under 50, the time is still 12 weeks. 

Time between doses of Covid Vaccines

Leigh

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

We're talking about the AstraZeneca vaccine here as that is what most of us will be receiving. It's the ruling of the TGA, our therapeutic goods regulatory body, that dictates the 12 week spacing between first and second dose here in Australia. I assume they based that decision on the reportedly higher efficacy with that gap, as per the AZ report into their phase three trials.

Of course, in countries under stress, they're doing whatever they can or whatever works best logistically, and using tight supplies to best advantage (as per UK).

I'm really not sure why you have decided to get in a p*****g contest with me. Your country is miles behind the rest of the developed world and lecturing me about what's what for a vaccine that has been in use in Canada and is being phased out here is comical at best. Our province with a population of just over 5 million has administered more than twice as many doses as all of Australia. 

My post was simply pointing out that the 12 week spacing had more to do with stretching a limited supply than enhanced efficacy. If there is an enhanced efficacy it was found by accident. Meanwhile with better supply we are reeling back the second doses. Once your crack team catches up I'll be more than thrilled for Australia, because a 15 case "outbreak" won't be national news. Vaccinated people are well protected from the worst effects even if they are exposed to the virus.

Be well everyone, stay safe.

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm really not sure why you have decided to get in a p*****g contest with me. Your country is miles behind the rest of the developed world and lecturing me about what's what for a vaccine that has been in use in Canada and is being phased out here is comical at best. Our province with a population of just over 5 million has administered more than twice as many doses as all of Australia. 

My post was simply pointing out that the 12 week spacing had more to do with stretching a limited supply than enhanced efficacy. If there is an enhanced efficacy it was found by accident. Meanwhile with better supply we are reeling back the second doses. Once your crack team catches up I'll be more than thrilled for Australia, because a 15 case "outbreak" won't be national news. Vaccinated people are well protected from the worst effects even if they are exposed to the virus.

Be well everyone, stay safe.

I'm not lecturing you and if you feel that, I'm afraid it says more about you than what I'm writing. I was simply trying to clarify a couple of points; one, that we are referring to AZ vaccine in the '6 weeks/ 12 weeks' discussion (your previous post having talked about 3-4 week gaps) and also that it was at the direction of our TGA that our vaccinators have been using that 12 week gap between doses.

Yes, we're miles behind the rest of the developed world in our vaccination programme. We know that but thanks for pointing that out (kind of gratuitously but whatever).

I wasn't having a pissing contest with you but if you were, you win. Enjoy.

• Thanks 1