Can No Longer Select Your Cabin???

7 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We went on the NCL web site and tried to select a cabin for an Alaskan cruise for next July.

You can no longer select your cabin only your cabin type and catagory.

What gives???

Most likely to allow them to implement spacing and capacity controls.  Many, many things are going to be different.  That is why we are not booking anything at this time, as no one really knows exactly what they are buying at this point.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Back to school said:

New policy have to pay for the privilege choosing cabin? 

That has been the case for a while, you can pay less for a Sailaway with no perks and a guarantee cabin, or pay for the perks and pick your cabin. 

I like that you have choices if you want to save money, that shouldn't be a negative.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We went on the NCL web site and tried to select a cabin for an Alaskan cruise for next July.

What gives???

Did you maybe select the Sailaway or Guarantee rate?  In that case you wouldn't be able to select your cabin.  Try again and see what happens.  Make sure to select a specific category.  It sounds like others were able to select a cabin.  Good luck!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

What gives???

Sounds like you were pricing a guarantee cabin. Go back and check that you don't pay as much for those, but you don't get the choices that you get with the higher fares.

We normally book the sailaway rate, so don't get to choose a specific cabin.

It's also possible to book a normal rate, with the "free" perks, and still not be shown a choice of cabin. 

That usually happens when booking very close to sail date (doesn't apply in this case) or booking a category that is close to selling out/reaching capacity.  You'll see the cabin shown as "GTY" when that happens.

16 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

Another reason to cruise somewhere else.

It was more sarcasm vs fact. It is a fact that, like on airplanes, you don’t get to pick a cabin if you book the cheapest fare. The OP may be thrifty and willing to take the cabins that no one else wanted. (esp going to Alaska where good room are booked for a premium... rooms over bars and nightclubs... or with a view looking into a lifeboat... or next to the kids club with pattering little feet day and night... or under the gym with treadmills pounding starting at 6 am). 

But, if you are happier elsewhere....

Edited by BirdTravels

Several cruise lines give the option of having the cruise line pick your cabin for a modest savings.  I like that option, especially when the cruise line's choice is a category of cabins.   We occasionally pick those cabins, for example, saving by picking a partially obstructed balcony is to a bad choice when cruising in colder climates.   You still get to see 95% of the ocean, just not the ocean close to the side of the ship.

However, forcing one to always pick the cruise line choice is a non-starter.

See if you can duplicate the problem booking a Club suite - Suite - Haven !

You are paying a premium to get a premium cabin location perks bennies !

If you are booking a economy level cabin you will not be left with much choice

or the choice will be made for you - just like winning a bid upgrade the location

of the cabin may not be favorable - selected from remaining inventory.

Something similar to airline booking - the further forward in the cabin the

bennies and freebees become more desirable - pre-boarding fee-free luggage

meals beverages wider more accommodating seating - it is all included in the fare.

You pay for what you get - - -

• 3 weeks later...

The Sail Away category excludes the "freebies" and the ablilty to select your cabin location.  We always select Sail Away balcony because we don't care where our cabin is located and we like the price.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 8:50 PM, Rob_H said:

It's also possible to book a normal rate, with the "free" perks, and still not be shown a choice of cabin. 

That usually happens when booking very close to sail date (doesn't apply in this case) or booking a category that is close to selling out/reaching capacity.  You'll see the cabin shown as "GTY" when that happens.

We just did a booking this morning and this was our case. We booked with all the perks but left the cabin as GTY (I think it just defaulted with that ) as we didn't have an opinion on location - and sometimes I just like to roll the dice and be surprised! The cruise is not for 2 years (March 2023).

When I spoke with an agent afterwards (to apply a certificate to the booking) he reviewed it and asked if we wanted to specify the cabin and I said no. Not sure if there would have been a charge for it.

25 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We just did a booking this morning and this was our case. We booked with all the perks but left the cabin as GTY (I think it just defaulted with that ) as we didn't have an opinion on location - and sometimes I just like to roll the dice and be surprised! The cruise is not for 2 years (March 2023).

When I spoke with an agent afterwards (to apply a certificate to the booking) he reviewed it and asked if we wanted to specify the cabin and I said no. Not sure if there would have been a charge for it.

Guaranty cabin is usually cheaper than choosing your own cabin because you are taking a chance getting one in an undesirable location.