The Daily for Saturday Mar 27, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon, from a cool and overcast Victoria!  I am an only child, but I have tons and tons of cousins, some of which I grew up with, so they are almost like brothers and sisters, so I can celebrate that today.

So sorry to hear about KK.  May she rest in peace.

We were on the Grand South America (with Roy, Scrapnana, and others from CC) in 2019.  It was such a memorable cruise, a once in a lifetime adventure.  

Manaus was an overnight, so the first day we wandered on our own into town and visited the market on the man drag, and the opera house.  I think it was a Sunday, so of course we weren't allowed into the church, but we had a tour of the opera house - just wandered up and bought tickets there.  We wandered around for a while and then it was our turn.  It was built by the rubber barons in the days when it was a very wealthy area.  The ceiling is amazing, it's meant to appear as if you are looking up through the Eiffel Tower. 

As we got off the Prinsendam, we were greeted by the police band, playing Carnaval music.

P1070390.JPG

• Like 21

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I was so excited to share my pictures of my baby hummingbird!! And now finding out about my dear friend KK makes me so sad!! I had such High respect for her and loved how much she enjoyed photography and cruising!! Believe it or not but KK and our dear Jacqui are the ones who welcomed me back in 2008 on CC!! GOD BLESS HER AND SHE IS HOME.🙏

🌴🌴

If interested, I have some pics and TODAY WHEN I OPENED THE GARAGE THE LITTLE GUY WAS FLUTTERING AROUND THE PALM AND WAS LOOKING AT ME!! NO PHONE IN HAND AT THE TIME BUT WAS ABLE TO TAKE A PIC OF THE EMPTY NEST AND WHEN HE CAME BACK I WENT OUTSIDE FOR THE LAST SHOT!! 🌺I was right on when he would fly today!!

image.thumb.png.f4287d2fcb3dba304b34fc01be0fc590.png

image.jpeg.0ec5ee76382f7cacc5d03cce8ddeba7a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.78d271ce4182251a6c802968a7f90302.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99e6c2bed776d700503f0266b4f0ad79.jpeg

image.jpeg.e3537a854a0699ef789df9beadc9df9a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.075f65586db1195bdd1072aca2671ae8.jpeg

🌴EMPTY NEST TODAY

image.thumb.jpeg.2ebb7c55804fcb8c7dac87df927e1904.jpeg
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Happy FLYING LITTLE ONE!

Denise😊

As I watch my hummingbirds right now they are chasing one another all over the yard! I'm so happy you were able to say goodbye to yours!

LiveMessage_2021-03-27-14-16-31.gif

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I guess I need to continue in another post.

The Manaus Opera House

P1070394.thumb.JPG.f71a6aaa2cab44f6ea16f278ea779ed3.JPG

The famous ceiling

P1070433.thumb.JPG.4476276f0275f16145b4aee7f39262ba.JPG

P1080201.thumb.JPG.04ad60f617ff43f86696b1a7c48de53a.JPG

That evening we attended  a practice of the jazz band, I think it was, in the Opera House, put on for the ship.  The Captain was there, too.

P1070457.thumb.JPG.1a65ead772b28c491497859d72084d88.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

The next day we went on an amazing tour in a small boat with a few others from CC.  We went under that bridge Roy mentioned across the Rio Negro, then went up that river in search of pink dolphins, they were supposed to be on their "day off", but further up the river our guide found a spot where we could swim with them.  I stayed on dry land, but Pat dared all!  Then we went to a village where we watched  some  Amazonian natives play music on strange instruments and dance, then to a place where the group was allowed to fish (more like "tease") the huge fish that are in the river.  Then to a huge fish lunch buffet in a floating restaurant and to a floating village before heading back to Manaus.  

The bridge

P1070460.thumb.JPG.df8046a64643b2be042c2059eb068366.JPG

Pat and dolphin...

P1080252.thumb.JPG.e13e3bb47d156d20ab0c0a4f69f765e3.JPG

Villagers and their instruments

P1070483.thumb.JPG.25e960187777ba94d8434f1a3d9d2767.JPG

Giant fish and fishing for them

P1070508.thumb.JPG.22bc4046f2e63225c68ec02e19b522ae.JPG

P1080403.thumb.JPG.5bdff4d6a495bb27ebed61a50cee701b.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

As I watch my hummingbirds right now they are chasing one another all over the yard! I'm so happy you were able to say goodbye to yours!

LiveMessage_2021-03-27-14-16-31.gif

I ❤️You Sis!!!!! PS love the picture of you and Allen with your friends for wine and pedicures👍👍 The little guy still is coming back to nest as he is out and about too!

D🌺

• Like 7

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning

It is with a heavy heart that I must be the bearer of very sad news.  Yonnie (Krazy Kruisers) apparently passed away on March 16 according to bellebaby in the solo thread. 😢 

I have asked her to email me.  My last email to Yonnie had not been answered longer than normal but I knew she wasn’t well.

Her husband Joe does not use the computer so I understand why I did not hear.

I am very 😢 and will be back later when I can be more cheerful.

RIP Yonnie ♥️ 🙏🏻 

Edited to say, I have now found her obituary, sadly.

Very sad news.  She was always so cheerful and helpful.  She will be greatly missed.

• Like 7

Really late today.... and so sorry to hear about KK. She was such a wealth of information.

Started today with a 4 hour Board meeting for the HS. I feel thoroughly drained, especially since it started at 9 and went straight on and on and on. Thankfully there was coffee. My dogs practically knocked me over to get out when I got home and hit the first available patch of grass. But, I do feel like we got some things done. The reopening to full service is going to be difficult and we are working on the renovations which should begin with a few cosmetic items in the Fall and will fully launch next Spring.... if the money holds out.

I have been to Manaus and very much enjoyed the 2 days there. Like others I did a river trip, shopped the market and visited the opera house. Lots of walking. Would love to go back but then I say that about most places. I was there in 2015 before the worst of the Amazon fires started.

Susan

• Like 15

I do hope Joe has a good support system.  The Obit did not mention any other family members.  I remember in the sailaway threads KK always had to get away at a certain time to start dinner for Joe, and now he's had to take up the cooking.  I hope he learned well or will soon be in assisted living.  Somehow, I don't think the acronym for Rest in Peace will cut it in the next week's care list.

Roy

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy.

Wow, this is so weird and coincidental that it is Brothers and Sisters Day.  I was thinking of asking my brother to take a picture of our sister's gravesite the next time he went to our small town in Colorado.  She died at birth and I think about her a lot and what could have been.

I think World Theater Day is a wonderful celebration.  For years Craig and I had season tickets to our local theater.  And....  I recently heard on the news that some new Broadway shows were coming to town, along with Hamilton and Come Away.  I'm going to have to check on that for sure.

The cocktail sounds interesting, I think I'd substitute vodka.  And thanks to @Overhead FredI might try the Queens also!  What interesting things we learn here everyday.

We have not been to today's port but I'm enjoying all the pictures and comments.

Happy Passover.  I used to work for someone who celebrated Passover and I always gave her a bottle of Riesling to celebrate. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 16

Thanks to everyone sharing pictures of Manaus.  I was there in 2000 long before I owned a digital camera.  My mother's friend had done that trip and inspired her to want to do it.  Sadly, Mother died in 1995. When the ad came in the mail about the Amazon river cruise my father and I booked it in her honor. This was when the Royal Princess did it as a 12-day from Manaus to San Juan. It was great!

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, from a cool and overcast Victoria!  I am an only child, but I have tons and tons of cousins, some of which I grew up with, so they are almost like brothers and sisters, so I can celebrate that today.

So sorry to hear about KK.  May she rest in peace.

We were on the Grand South America (with Roy, Scrapnana, and others from CC) in 2019.  It was such a memorable cruise, a once in a lifetime adventure.  

Speaking of Scrapnana, has anyone been in touch with her? I'm surprised she has not joined in to the Daily. I always enjoyed reading her travel blogs.

Edited by Love the beach
  • Like 10

5 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Speaking of Scrapnana, has anyone been in touch with her? I'm surprised she has not joined in to the Daily. I always enjoyed reading her travel blogs.

Not really in touch with her but she's been posting a lot to the World Cruise Roll Call.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Opinions on World Theater Day:

Was my last Theater visit--

March 12, 2020--Cunard production show "Appasionata" in QM2 Royal Court Theater

or

March 8, 2020 -- Come From Away in Melbourne Australia?

Roy

• Like 8

Rest In Peace KK and comfort to her friends and family.  

I have 2 lovely sisters and we’ve always been close. We lost our very special younger brother many years ago.  

We finally cruised together with DBIL’s in September 2019  on Zuiderdam Boston to Quebec.  Even with out running a hurricane in the St Lawrence we had a grand time.   

0F11C218-EFEE-44A8-A427-660B5E794EB1.thumb.jpeg.1406357b9be39e9c1eb9c4059a71d2fe.jpeg

• Like 19

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

The next day we went on an amazing tour in a small boat with a few others from CC.  We went under that bridge Roy mentioned across the Rio Negro, then went up that river in search of pink dolphins, they were supposed to be on their "day off", but further up the river our guide found a spot where we could swim with them.  I stayed on dry land, but Pat dared all!  Then we went to a village where we watched  some  Amazonian natives play music on strange instruments and dance, then to a place where the group was allowed to fish (more like "tease") the huge fish that are in the river.  Then to a huge fish lunch buffet in a floating restaurant and to a floating village before heading back to Manaus.  

The bridge

P1070460.thumb.JPG.df8046a64643b2be042c2059eb068366.JPG

Pat and dolphin...

P1080252.thumb.JPG.e13e3bb47d156d20ab0c0a4f69f765e3.JPG

Villagers and their instruments

P1070483.thumb.JPG.25e960187777ba94d8434f1a3d9d2767.JPG

Giant fish and fishing for them

P1070508.thumb.JPG.22bc4046f2e63225c68ec02e19b522ae.JPG

P1080403.thumb.JPG.5bdff4d6a495bb27ebed61a50cee701b.JPG

Great photos.  Looks like Pat wasn’t being drawn into the big tease 😉 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Love the beach said:

Yes, we  have cruised together and are FB friends and she is alive, well and kicking 🙂

• Like 7

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

I do hope Joe has a good support system.  The Obit did not mention any other family members.  I remember in the sailaway threads KK always had to get away at a certain time to start dinner for Joe, and now he's had to take up the cooking.  I hope he learned well or will soon be in assisted living.  Somehow, I don't think the acronym for Rest in Peace will cut it in the next week's care list.

Roy

Without going into too much detail or breaching privacy, you are correct, Yonnie & Joe have no children.  She was cooking two different meals for both of them because of his diet and her difficulty eating and not being nauseous.

I believe at the end she had a home care worker to help and hopefully Joe has kept her as Yonnie told me Joe couldn’t even boil water.

However, it sounds like he is doing ok other than missing his wife very, very much. ♥️ 

Edited to say - Roy, thinking about it, I think Yonnie would be fine with a RIP and smooth sailing on waters in heaven.  Or something similar.  JMO.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I’m so sorry to hear of KK’s passing . I always read her posts.

We were in Manaus in 2011, sailing on Prinsendam.  We had a large CC Roll Call onboard.  Thank you all who posted photos, to bring back memories from 10 years ago!

• Like 10

We were in Manaus January 5-7, 2014.

After sailing from Los Angeles to Rio de Janeiro (around The Horn) on Golden Princess, we spent one night in Rio then flew to Manaus on January 5 in order to board the Pacific Princess on the 6th to sail from Manaus to Fort Lauderdale (departing on the 7th).

We did everything that has already been posted by others so won't duplicate photos.  

One question for those who have been there -- did you try the tacacá?

IMG_0182_2.thumb.jpg.d019ca76342c71fd1bd98b0b9a2b1435.jpg

IMG_0186.thumb.jpg.09defde173f0f9d50a6459597240ebcd.jpg

• Like 14

Greetings all, I’m very late to the party today! We are back on the island, and this was the annual transfer of both cars. DH stopped for take out,  and texted to ask if I wanted anything. At the next red light I grabbed the phone and replied No thanks. Apparently autocorrect sent ‘HMO thanks’. At the place he stopped, that’s the order code for Ham Mushroom Omelette. He proudly presented it to me when we met at the ferry terminal. It was delicious. Sometimes autocorrect DOES know best!

I am so sorry to hear about Krazy Kruisers. Her posts will be missed.

I was in Manaus on the Princendam in 1918. It was fascinating, this decaying gem of civilization on the Amazon. Built in the rubber boom, Manaus was wealthy beyond imagining. Ships of Italian marble and fine finishes brought the wealth of Europe to the rainforest, and an opulent city was built, complete with opera house. The money disappeared when synthetic rubber came to be. The rainforest is reclaiming its own. The streets show many fine, richly carved marble buildings with gaping windows and growths of vines and mango trees from the broken cornices like Easter Bonnets. Even by Brazil standards, Manaus is not safe. It is forbidden to walk from the ship to the cruise terminal due to crime. A shuttle bus is provided and mandatory. In separate incidents, two ladies were mugged, both in broad daylight in well populated tourist areas. For me, the highlight was an excursion farther up the river with the chance to swim with the pink dolphins in the open river. An indigenous family had a relationship,with the dolphins, and would entice them with fish. The dolphins are completely free - if one wants to play it comes in, those that don’t, dont. The water is dark and totally opaque. You can’t see more than a foot, at most, below the surface. My toes barely brushed the sand, and one dolphin found that bumping the back of my legs made me bounce. There I was, in an alcove of the open Amazon River, with a fierce thunderstorm over the rainforest behind us, being ‘bounced’ by a wild dolphin. It was the experience of a lifetime. Strangely, out of a group of about 20 people, all but four refused to go in the water. It’s also the only picture from Manaus I have on hand to share at the moment. Oh, and a shot of holding a Tarantula our guide picked up off the forest floor on a walk on the same outing.

ABF2240E-34B9-4E87-8412-126CC5ADC06E.thumb.jpeg.559392e86fab9a6286280ba5ba2fe277.jpeg

In the open, but sheltered from the current by the sandbar behind us.

29E3143A-7424-4DA1-AD10-59DC5FF072DE.thumb.jpeg.badf711398fdc3be72f472814577f090.jpeg

Also joined by a Grey dolphin.

87716852-B02D-4301-ACAE-0C8F6BDF6AD7.thumb.jpeg.e719bb16f850e3b4c0f937874f738a1d.jpeg

Also titled: What the Heck was I Thinking?

And belatedly, Happy Saturday from our BHB’s.

FD71ED9E-2B48-4483-9C2B-E9B1508743B2.thumb.jpeg.59f3b4209b1231ca3f0c8f183d7bb360.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I was in Manaus on the Princendam in 1918. 

I am guessing that this is a typo?

Thanks for the photos and sharing the memories; sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

That is scary.  I would not let a tarantula walk on my hand!  We visited Manaus in 2005 on an excellent Vaandam cruise, Seattle to Tampa, via the Amazon.  We saw the pink dolphins not at Manaus, but further down the river in a small village we stopped at.  I don't remember the name, but it meant something like "bottom of the bag" in Portuguese.  I was out of the state on St Patrick's Day, so Sara saved the corned beef and cabbage meal for tonight.  Appreciate the pictures of Manaus, as mine are no longer accesible.  I need to call my brother today.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1