The Daily for Saturday Mar 27, 2021

richwmn

Greetings everyone.  I'm a little late today because I was helping DH with an outdoor project.  It's very wet outside from yesterday's rains, plus I notice it's humid, with lows overnight tonight predicted to be around 66-68F!  Too much already!

I will celebrate brothers and sisters day today.  I think I'll pass on the curry dish today.

I was ecstatic to see our care list getting shorter today, until I heard about Krazy Kruisers'  death.  That is very sad news.  I've seen her posts for many years on CC.  My condolences to her husband and family on her passing.

I've been trying for years to get to Manaus but we cancelled or had cancelled by the cruise line that cruise a good 3 to 4 times.  It's back on the schedule for January with the HAL Grand Voyage to S.A. and Antarctica.  We shall see if that goes off as scheduled, won't we?  Please someone post some photos!

• Like 19

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning

It is with a heavy heart that I must be the bearer of very sad news.  Yonnie (Krazy Kruisers) apparently passed away on March 16 according to bellebaby in the solo thread. 😢 

I have asked her to email me.  My last email to Yonnie had not been answered longer than normal but I knew she wasn’t well.

Her husband Joe does not use the computer so I understand why I did not hear.

I am very 😢 and will be back later when I can be more cheerful.

RIP Yonnie ♥️ 🙏🏻 

Edited to say, I have now found her obituary, sadly.

So very sorry to hear about Yonnie. She was a regular contributor to the Hal board.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’m so sorry to read about Krzysztof Cruiser. I always enjoyed her posts filled with so much info. May she Rest In Peace.

I will reach out to my brother today. I don’t have a sister, but do have a sister in law who I’m very close to and will see her tonight when we zoom our Passover Seder for the second year. 

Yesterday was our grandson’s birthday and we had a wonderful phone conversation with him. He will also be on our zoom seder as will our extended family.

I love the theater and really miss it. So many people who work behind the scenes are without jobs, not to mention the actors. When I was  younger and a teacher I went  to the theater every Wednesday in the summer. One time I was sitting next to a lady who smelled from moth balls. I later found out she was Helen Hayes. Sitting next to her, I couldn’t see her face.

Its going to be 70 degrees today. 

Stay safe everyone.

Carol

• Like 19

Thanks for the daily Rich. So sorry to hear about KK. I will make a point to talk with my brother today. My sister and I talk almost every day even though we only see each other about three times a year. Sun should be up shortly so will get busy as I hope to get a trip up the river in today. 

• Like 16

Good Morning and Thank You for the Daily!✏️ I'm a newbie on this thread and wasn't familiar with Krazy Kruisers but saddened by her passing and all who have left us. 😌

I remember attending Les Miserables in London in the '90's and loving the West End and just experiencing the musical. 🎵 We saw Hamilton in SF a few years back and hopefully will see more productions in the future. 🙂

We have been to Manaus on our Viking cruise and checked off the Amazon from our "Bucket List."✔️

Happy Passover to all who celebrate and prayers for all in need.🙏

• Like 20

So very sorry to hear the news about KK. She was a fixture here for so many years and always willing to share her knowledge and love of cruising.

The wine sounds grand -- a Barolo for $13.99?  That's a great buy!  I already make several similar dishes for dinner; stir fries and curries are great favorites with DS.

I've not been to Manaus yet. If nothing else, the daily ports have made me realize how many places I have yet to visit!

It's a gray-ish day here, not looking very enticing to do any outside work so I guess I will instead have to focus on inside chores (not my favorite...). Still, I'm feeling pretty good because I get my first jab on TUESDAY!

Jacqui, I love your humor. (Humour?)  Especially regarding the Canada goose.  For several years there has been a small flock that spend their winter in our office park -- a very green setting.  They love to swagger around the parking lot in the morning and evening and scare the you-know-what out of folks trying to navigate a safe passage to and from their cars.  They cunningly make it even more of an obstacle course by leaving their lovely, smelly green pellets everywhere, making it hard to pay attention to both the geese and their droppings....Then they sneak up on you and start honking.

I guess that's one more thing I don't miss about having to work on site every day. 

image.png.43cded64b4258f70dd445316a655c01a.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 6

Good morning all and thank you for the daily!

So sorry to hear about KK, as others have said she was a wealth of information and always willing to help. May she rest in peace.

Have not been to South America at all but it is now 2 weeks since my 2nd jab so I am ready to "hit the road Jack" and the first stop is a badly needed haircut.

Happy Passover to all who celebrate!

Have a good weekend everyone!

• Like 20

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Still, I'm feeling pretty good because I get my first jab on TUESDAY!

Oops, apparently I worked so hard this past week that I thought it was two weeks that went by, LOL. My jab isn't until the following Tuesday. Still, feeling good about it.

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone

I was very sad to hear of KK's passing. She was a very valuable resource and I learned a lot from her. Many thoughts and prayers to her family.

I have not been to Manaus. Was scheduled to be there on our cancelled Grand S. America and Antarctica trip. Another time! DH had a number of trips there on business several years ago. He was anxious to see it again.

Happy Passover to those celebrating.

Today is Saturday so we are having pizza.

Be safe and enjoy today.

• Like 20

Speaking of South America this is my final sunrise from my 2019 Grand South America and Antarctica cruise.  I was almost home as Amtrak's Silver Meteor was midway between Richmond and Washington DC.

dawn0327.jpg

This is a very hectic day for me.  I'll try to post some photos from Manaus later.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Posted wrong photo
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich and thanks for the Daily. 

I posted on Kazu's last thread, but again I am sorry to hear of KK's passing. 

My brother passed away many years ago, but I celebrate my sister daily, gab most days and she is a joy. I also celebrate my new east and west coast sisters! We've been together over a year now, so I'd say we're no longer "new"... I love you girls.

Last night we went to a local pub with a whole platoon of neighbors. Nearly the entire group has been fully vaccinated. 

Today is a cloudy day, humid and going to be about 80. I've scrubbed and filled the new bird fountain. No one will probably go to it for a few days, but it's up and ready. More hummer feeders are due today. Although our hummers love the plastic feeders they leak like crazy in the breeze. Hoping these work better..

When my chores are complete I believe I will come back out to our patio and read for a few hours. 

Have a wonderful weekend. A toast to our fellow cruiser KK and Joe tonight.

Prayers and Cheers.

• Like 20

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days, and Happy Passover to those who celebrate it.  I love Thurber and his quote.  Been to Manaus twice, both times on the Prinsendam.  The Chicken Curry  sounds nice.  My alternative is Strawberry-Banana-Blueberry, Thai Chicken and Forbidden Rice Soup, Boneless Lamb Loin, and Liner Torte as served on MS Zaandam March 27, 2017.

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/dishes27.jpg

Today's care list:

Have not heard from Gsel since September 20

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

RIP Cunnorl’s BIL

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Occasional contributors including sososailor

Welcome aboard SusiKIslandGirl

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Potential trial for StLouisSal

Jabs booked for superoma, Mrs Vmax

Jabs for lindaler

Welcome home Mary229

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

No jabs for himself!

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Good morning

It is with a heavy heart that I must be the bearer of very sad news.  Yonnie (Krazy Kruisers) apparently passed away on March 16 according to bellebaby in the solo thread. 😢 

I have asked her to email me.  My last email to Yonnie had not been answered longer than normal but I knew she wasn’t well.

Her husband Joe does not use the computer so I understand why I did not hear.

I am very 😢 and will be back later when I can be more cheerful.

RIP Yonnie ♥️ 🙏🏻 

Edited to say, I have now found her obituary, sadly.

May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace!

• Like 8

Such sad news about KK.  May she rest in peace, comfort to Joe and the family.  

Happy Passover to those who celebrate!

I think I'll pass on the meal today.  We may have clam chowder and salad...have never been to the port of the day, looking forward to any photos!

Yesterday 3 neighbors and I visited 'round our firepit for 4 hours -- a record, usually it's 2-3 hours and the first time we all could be there.  I guess we had a lot to catch up on!  I was tired last night LOL!

I was blessed with two sisters, one passed in 2010 and is missed dearly.   My other sister (who I visited last week for the first time since pre-Covid) and her DH have cruised with us a couple times.  Once to the Med and once to the Holy Land.

My sister and I in Athens, Greece

590750978_Athens2008.thumb.jpg.ac0b18dd605190099ffbbf65e5aacc2a.jpg

• Like 26

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Such sad news about KK.  I've enjoyed her posts so much.  Love the Theater, hope to have it resume soon.  Love my brothers and sisters.  Great quote.  Will pass on the curry meal.  DH has been to Brazil on business but never to Manaus.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Bronx Cocktail with a little information:

The Bronx is a cocktail. It is essentially a Perfect Martini with orange juice added. It was ranked number three in "The World's 10 Most Famous Cocktails in 1934" behind the Martini and the Manhattan. In the movie "The Thin Man" 1934, the lead actor compared the methods for shaking the Manhattan, Bronx, And Martini. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 oz (6 parts) Gin, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Orange juice, 1/2 oz (3 parts) Sweet Red Vermouth, 1/3 oz (2 parts) Dry Vermouth
Preparation: Pour into cocktail shaker all ingredients with ice cubes, shake well. Strain in chilled cocktail or martini glass.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Orange twist

Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 7.43.32 AM.png

Not a Martini man.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Jacqui, I love your humor. (Humour?)  Especially regarding the Canada goose.  For several years there has been a small flock that spend their winter in our office park -- a very green setting.  They love to swagger around the parking lot in the morning and evening and scare the you-know-what out of folks trying to navigate a safe passage to and from their cars.  They cunningly make it even more of an obstacle course by leaving their lovely, smelly green pellets everywhere, making it hard to pay attention to both the geese and their droppings....Then they sneak up on you and start honking.

@cruisemom42, I hear ya!!  Each year they take up residence at the Boeing Everett campus.  The Boeing engineering buildings are surrounded by decorative hedges directly adjacent to the walkways between buildings.  The geese nest behind those hedges and the ganders guard them.  I'm retired now but when I was working I set my hours from early (very early) morning to early afternoon in order to avoid the miserable Boeing traffic jams.  So that meant that I was heading for my office in the dark during breeding season.  I dreaded the walk from the parking lot to my office, unsuccessfully dodging the poop carpeting the walkways while trying to avoid the hissing, charging ganders.  Although I loved my work I don't miss those days at all.  Next to cruising, I consider that to be one of the main benefits of retirement 😀.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Rich:

Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.  Grew up having Curried Chicken once a month or so--I loved it but have not had it in 60 years. (Time Flies!)  Roy thanks for your care list.  Sorry we lost KK.   She was a great Contributor.  Summer.Slope, every time I have had a Martini my head spins like I am on a rollercoaster. Thanks to all lookers and posters.

• Like 6

I followed KK on Cruise Critic for several yearsand enjoyed her posts so much.  She will be greatly missed.  RIP KK.

I am an only so never had a brother or sister to celebrate however I do have a wonderful brother in law and sister in law who still consider me family even though Gary has been gone for over 5 years. 

Never been to Manaous but did help my son with a project he had to complete on the city when he was in 4th grade. If I were younger that is a place I would want to visit.

Jane

Edited by lazey1
  • Like 13

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I was so excited to share my pictures of my baby hummingbird!! And now finding out about my dear friend KK makes me so sad!! I had such High respect for her and loved how much she enjoyed photography and cruising!! Believe it or not but KK and our dear Jacqui are the ones who welcomed me back in 2008 on CC!! GOD BLESS HER AND SHE IS HOME.🙏

🌴🌴

If interested, I have some pics and TODAY WHEN I OPENED THE GARAGE THE LITTLE GUY WAS FLUTTERING AROUND THE PALM AND WAS LOOKING AT ME!! NO PHONE IN HAND AT THE TIME BUT WAS ABLE TO TAKE A PIC OF THE EMPTY NEST AND WHEN HE CAME BACK I WENT OUTSIDE FOR THE LAST SHOT!! 🌺I was right on when he would fly today!!

image.thumb.png.f4287d2fcb3dba304b34fc01be0fc590.png

image.jpeg.0ec5ee76382f7cacc5d03cce8ddeba7a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.78d271ce4182251a6c802968a7f90302.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99e6c2bed776d700503f0266b4f0ad79.jpeg

image.jpeg.e3537a854a0699ef789df9beadc9df9a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.075f65586db1195bdd1072aca2671ae8.jpeg

🌴EMPTY NEST TODAY

image.thumb.jpeg.2ebb7c55804fcb8c7dac87df927e1904.jpeg
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Happy FLYING LITTLE ONE!

Denise😊

• Like 20

Good afternoon.

Good days, even though I'm an only. Happy Passover to those who celebrate.

The meal sounds interesting; I do like curry.

I've never been to today's port.

It's sunny and will be near 70 here, so I hear.

RIP Krazy Kruizers.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask.

A picture of the 3 eaglets, with H15 having hatched this morning. The only other time there were 3 eggs (2014), Mom and Dad Eagle had their hands full feeding them and the last born had to fight for space to get a bite!

image.thumb.png.eea71070db7feb111230834c631a5f87.png

• Like 19

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Today is .......................................

Drink of the Day - Bronx Cocktail

Why does Captain America chuckle when Spider-Man tells him which borough  he's from? - Movies & TV Stack Exchange

19. THE BRONX: Early 1900s - Letters and Liquor

How to make a bronx cocktail

The Bronx Cocktail was created in the early 1900s at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel (located where The Empire State Building is today) by bartender Johnny Solon naming it after the Bronx Zoo.

He said he invented the drink for a guest, claiming it was impossible to discern the difference between the zoo and his bar. It’s also likely that this was the first cocktail to use fruit juice, leading a revolution.

INGREDIENTS:

Serve in a Martini glass

• 1 1/2 shots gin
  • 1/4 shot sweet vermouth
  • 1/4 shot dry vermouth
  • 1 shot orange juice

Garnish: 1 Orange twist

1. Add all the ingredients to your shaker.
  2. Shake hard for 10-15 seconds.
  3. Fine strain into a chilled martini glass.
  4. Add the garnish.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0216/2330/products/FDNY_YANKEE_STADUIM_DESIGN_LEFT_CHEST_1024x1024.jpg?v=1518548915

Bronx Bombers Broadway @ Circle in the Square Theatre - Tickets and  Discounts | Playbill

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

I was so excited to share my pictures of my baby hummingbird!! And now finding out about my dear friend KK makes me so sad!! I had such High respect for her and loved how much she enjoyed photography and cruising!! Believe it or not but KK and our dear Jacqui are the ones who welcomed me back in 2008 on CC!! GOD BLESS HER AND SHE IS HOME.🙏

🌴🌴

If interested, I have some pics and TODAY WHEN I OPENED THE GARAGE THE LITTLE GUY WAS FLUTTERING AROUND THE PALM AND WAS LOOKING AT ME!! NO PHONE IN HAND AT THE TIME BUT WAS ABLE TO TAKE A PIC OF THE EMPTY NEST AND WHEN HE CAME BACK I WENT OUTSIDE FOR THE LAST SHOT!! 🌺I was right on when he would fly today!!

image.thumb.png.f4287d2fcb3dba304b34fc01be0fc590.png

image.jpeg.0ec5ee76382f7cacc5d03cce8ddeba7a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.78d271ce4182251a6c802968a7f90302.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.99e6c2bed776d700503f0266b4f0ad79.jpeg

image.jpeg.e3537a854a0699ef789df9beadc9df9a.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.075f65586db1195bdd1072aca2671ae8.jpeg

🌴EMPTY NEST TODAY

image.thumb.jpeg.2ebb7c55804fcb8c7dac87df927e1904.jpeg
🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴🌴

Happy FLYING LITTLE ONE!

Denise😊

We do enjoy your art, the painting is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing.

• Like 9

I've been to Manaus twice, both on the Prinsendam.  Manaus sits at the junction of the Amazon and the River Negro (pronounced neigh-grow).  Flooding is common and the dock is at the end of a long ramp leading up to the terminal.

manaus.jpg

There is a distinct line of differently colored water where the 2 rivers meet:

watersmeet.jpg

Despite being among the world's longest rivers there are no bridges across the Amazon.  There is a bridge just upstream from Manaus across the Rio Negro:

negrobridge.jpg

Manaus is really not a very busy cruise port.  There is quite a cargo operation and the terminal also serves a large fleet of river ferries running most of the length of the river:

ferrydock.jpg

The Amazon just above the Negro has some of the worlds largest lillies:

lillies.jpg

Despite it's modest size and remote location Manaus boasts a magnificent opera house.  I posted other pictures highlighting a performance in conjunction with my alternate meal for March 10 since the performance was at dinner time and sandwiched between visits to Dive In and the Lido.  Here's the building:

operahaus.jpg

Roy

• Like 27

Sad to hear about KK, her posts are missed.

I tried making a Bronx cocktail once a few years back. I don't remember it being one of my favorites but I should give it another shot (so to speak). The five boroughs of New York all have a cocktail named after them, except for Staten Island. However, there is a Staten Island Ferry cocktail (coconut rum and pineapple juice). I think most folks are familiar with the Manhattan (whiskey, sweet vermouth, bitters), the Brooklyn (rye, dry vermouth, maraschino liquor, and Amer Picon or bitters) and the Bronx (today's cocktail). The Queens may be less well known, but it is pretty much a Bronx with the orange juice replaced with pineapple. 

Today in 2018, we were in Fort Lauderdale having dinner on the deck of the Rendezvous restaurant near the intersection of I-95 and Marina Mile Boulevard gazing at the yachts. We would board the Koningsdam the following day for a 24 day TA/Mediterranean cruise -

981385182_20180327_181004(2).thumb.jpg.4101d9f12a1a5da6fdac3f10aa77948e.jpg

Today in 2019, we were sailing away from Fort Lauderdale on the Koningsdam for 11 days in the Southern Caribbean. We did a veranda guarantee for $999 each and ended up in cabin 4035 with an oversized veranda. We really lucked out that time!

DSC_0939.thumb.JPG.18eb1210e309ec85646bb2634db3b0d8.JPGDSC_0940.thumb.JPG.3f6649917d5ff2baf5a75b5ee1f66299.JPGDSC_0946.thumb.JPG.ccc2ced155606d8274d8cee894226f68.JPG

Edited by Overhead Fred
wording
  • Like 20