Finally Venice bans cruise ships

I am so sad that we missed the opportunity to sail in or out of Venice. I understand the reasoning. Oh Well. :classic_sad::classic_smile: Just like a lot of life's disappointments. 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

I am so sad that we missed the opportunity to sail in or out of Venice. I understand the reasoning. Oh Well. :classic_sad::classic_smile: Just like a lot of life's disappointments. 

We fortunately did sail in and out of Venice in 2008 and it was spectacular. I understand and agree with the decision, but it is unfortunate that people won't be able to experience that in the future.

(We were in Venice and standing on the deck with a group of people the day all hell broke loose with the economy and all of us were "laughing" and saying we hoped we weren't broke when we got home. One of those "I remember where I was when something happened" moments.

Edited by mek
  • Like 2

Did it 4 times (Serenade and Brilliance) and as it's been said it was spectacular as you entered the canals and passed St. Mark's square and people looked like ants.  Too bad will never get to experience this sight again.

• Like 2

We've sailed out of Venice twice and it was definitely spectacular. I do understand the reason for the decision, but still sad. 

The people of Venice have been fighting against the cruise ships for years. When we were overnight there on Vision in 2017, there were protests against the cruise ships. When we were leaving the citizens sailed near the ship in their boats and shot flares at the ship. Police on jet ski's had to keep them from getting closer. Not very welcoming! We went again in 2018 and things were a bit better, but the citizens still were not happy with the cruise ships sailing in. 

Hi,It would be good if the Rhapsody cruises that have had a port change to Ravenna got changed back to this port in Venice.

What chance do you think it could happen if the cruises go at all this year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Apple news.

There is no such thing as "Apple news" as a source.  That is an aggregator of other news outlets.

There is this:  https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/venice-moves-closer-to-cruise-ship-ban-rqxnr2cg3

And this: https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/26/cruise-ships-will-diverted-away-from-venice-says-italian-government

And this, as quoted above:  https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/italy-agrees-to-divert-cruise-ships-from-venice-to-industrial-port

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I bow to your superior knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, orla56 said:

Hi,It would be good if the Rhapsody cruises that have had a port change to Ravenna got changed back to this port in Venice.

What chance do you think it could happen if the cruises go at all this year.

Less than zero

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, nelblu said:

The last time I read about this topic, the City also want to control the number of total visitors at any given time to control crowdedness.  Don't know if this is still being considered.

Nope,  at the moment they are too desparate for tourist money to consider this.

I never visit Venice cruising , just during the GOLF WAR , the city was empty, so beautiful , so silent, 

just birds in small square , just one smart italian man in Murano with his newspaper , 2 or 3 cats  around in Torccelo  , mist on the lagoon ..... a dream !!!!

Sure the cityzens hope more quiet city , sure many stranger people hope to visit such a beauty .

• 2 weeks later...

Our Brilliance cruise next summer is out of Venice but really Ravenna (which is 2.5 hours south of Venice). We can apparently buy transfers but am not sure I want to be on 5 hours round trip of a shuttle. Depending on whether to change the cruise to a different itinerary, figure out a different place to fly in (like Bologna and take a train?), or such it up and do the shuttles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

16 minutes ago, CatLadyFemme said:

Our Brilliance cruise next summer is out of Venice but really Ravenna (which is 2.5 hours south of Venice). We can apparently buy transfers but am not sure I want to be on 5 hours round trip of a shuttle. Depending on whether to change the cruise to a different itinerary, figure out a different place to fly in (like Bologna and take a train?), or such it up and do the shuttles. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Why not fly into Venice, spend a few days there and then either drive or take the train to Ravenna?

• Like 1

Truly the end of an era.  We have fond memories of sailing into and out of Venice and it was truly one of the world's best.  We knew the end was near and urged several friends and relatives to do it while they still could.  Like everyone says, sad but understandable.

The headline on this thread should be edited to say "Venice bans large cruise ships" to be more accurate.  The headline as written leaves out the word "large" and could be considered fake news.. a sensational headline that doesn't reflect the real story if you follow the reference links.

3 hours ago, vintagegarage said:

The headline on this thread should be edited to say "Venice bans large cruise ships" to be more accurate.  The headline as written leaves out the word "large" and could be considered fake news.. a sensational headline that doesn't reflect the real story if you follow the reference links.

I’ll make a note of that for future reference.

Apologies for misleading you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 8:43 PM, Travelling2Some said:

Why not fly into Venice, spend a few days there and then either drive or take the train to Ravenna?

As a disabled person, long traveling on trains, especially carting luggage, can be hard for me. We wound re-booking for one leaving out of Denmark.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 7:28 AM, nelblu said:

Did it 4 times (Serenade and Brilliance) and as it's been said it was spectacular as you entered the canals and passed St. Mark's square and people looked like ants.  Too bad will never get to experience this sight again.

Can’t you take the Vaporetto and sail by the exact same spots and have the same view, other than several stories lower?

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

Can’t you take the Vaporetto and sail by the exact same spots and have the same view, other than several stories lower?

I've done the sail in and out on a cruise ship and also on the Vaporetto - not really the same experience -  kind of like the view from the 52nd floor of the Empire State Building vs the view at the top.

(But I do support the cruise ship ban.)

• Thanks 1