Carnival to start outside of US ports

7 minutes ago, truecruiser said:

I'm surprised there are no threads about the disaster of a mess CCL has turned into since ownership last changed hands. For those who cruised them for years, there's no avoiding the difference. I used to love sailing CCL. I'm a Platinum cruiser with them. But my last cruise a few years ago was a disgusting disappointment. The ship was chopped up - cabins cut in half, no public space,  way too many guests for the little public space they had left. The greed ruined them. I booked back on NCL but like everyone else my cruise got cancelled due to Covid.

Nobody nickles and dimes like NCL. Well, maybe MSC.

• Like 2

I just hope the ports are opened up when cruising starts. Our march cruise will be to HMC, amber cove, and grand Turk. I figure that’s good as the 2 are private ports so hopefully no issue. I was just reading that most poorer countries probably won’t even be 20% vaccinated by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Nobody nickles and dimes like NCL. Well, maybe MSC.

I agree with NCL trying to get the most from their passengers. Ordered a glass of wine and they only fill the glass at around 25%...

10 hours ago, truecruiser said:

I'm surprised there are no threads about the disaster of a mess CCL has turned into since ownership last changed hands. For those who cruised them for years, there's no avoiding the difference. I used to love sailing CCL. I'm a Platinum cruiser with them. But my last cruise a few years ago was a disgusting disappointment. The ship was chopped up - cabins cut in half, no public space,  way too many guests for the little public space they had left. The greed ruined them. I booked back on NCL but like everyone else my cruise got cancelled due to Covid.

Oh, in the Before Time when all we did was bicker over non-COVID stuff, this was a major topic.  Reduced amount of public space ratio to # pax is a common topic, though I've never really been bothered by the areas that get crowded at certain times.

But "cabins cut in half"?  So they were large suites converted to two standard cabins?  Out of curiosity, what ship are you referring to?

9 hours ago, kona_wahine said:

I just hope the ports are opened up when cruising starts. Our march cruise will be to HMC, amber cove, and grand Turk. I figure that’s good as the 2 are private ports so hopefully no issue. I was just reading that most poorer countries probably won’t even be 20% vaccinated by the end of the year. 

While accusations of "selfishness" are thrown around left and right in the US over things that have little impact, this disparity is the true selfishness:

That young, healthy people in the US would receive a vaccine simply to travel and engage in leisure activities while the old and infirm, who truly would benefit from the vaccine, in these poor nations go without is true selfishness at work.

24 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

While accusations of "selfishness" are thrown around left and right in the US over things that have little impact, this disparity is the true selfishness:

That young, healthy people in the US would receive a vaccine simply to travel and engage in leisure activities while the old and infirm, who truly would benefit from the vaccine, in these poor nations go without is true selfishness at work.

And what would you have the young, healthy Americans do, not get vaccinated? It's not like they can just pass their shot on to someone in a poor country.

10 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

Would be good to see 1.  the US participate in this plan and 2. messaging around the importance of preserving vaccine supply for the most vulnerable.

First the US needed to rejoin W.H.O.. It is their plan.

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

USA announced early February they were donating $2B toward vaccines in other countries. What would satisfy some complaining 

Bravo. It's a start. Only 7.6+ billion (with a B) people on earth. Beyond money, additional resources (like doctors) are likely needed.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

USA announced early February they were donating $2B toward vaccines in other countries. What would satisfy some complaining 

20210409_193358594.jpeg

While sending money seems good, unless the countries can manufacture the vaccine themselves what they really need is for the rich countries to send "doses" not dollars.

On 4/8/2021 at 8:56 AM, firefly333 said:

It's funny when I suggested carnival ships from another port only a couple weeks ago the idea was attacked as if I was nuts, saying carnival people dont have passports, do I know how much passports cost, no way... now people are saying well maybe. Lol hahahaha 

Regardless of the cruise line, I don't think people who are used to not sailing with a passport are suddenly going to shell out an extra $120 pp + the extra charge to expedite them just so they can maybe cruise this summer - especially people with children.  If a family of 4 hasn't been using passports, then suddenly they will add an additional $500 to their cruise - and this close to June/July I can't imagine taking a chance on getting a passport soon enough to cruise - even expedited would make me nervous.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

Regardless of the cruise line, I don't think people who are used to not sailing with a passport are suddenly going to shell out an extra $120 pp + the extra charge to expedite them just so they can maybe cruise this summer - especially people with children.  If a family of 4 hasn't been using passports, then suddenly they will add an additional $500 to their cruise - and this close to June/July I can't imagine taking a chance on getting a passport soon enough to cruise - even expedited would make me nervous.

Of course. We agree, if that many on carnival dont have passports then it's not worth carnival sailing from the caribbean. I'd say that's a given, though idk the actual percentage without passports. It's all guesses like everything else. 

PS I watched the head of some ncl division this morning on tv pleading their case to cruise from the usa. Saying if everyone is vaccinated it's the safest vacation in the USA how can the cdc say no.

Edited by firefly333

30 minutes ago, mek said:

+ a couple of grand or more for airfare, hotels, etc.

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

+ a couple of grand or more for airfare, hotels, etc.

I’ve been pricing out the cruises from Nassau and Bermuda. Even factoring in airfare, the total cost isn’t more than what a similar 7 night cruise during the summer from a US port would cost. In fact it’s actually a bit cheaper. The cruises are competitively priced, specially the ones from Bermuda. And airfare using Royal’s Air2Sea program is considerably cheaper than trying to book airfare directly. 

If I didn’t already have a busy summer with other plans, I would’ve already booked! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tapi said:

I’ve been pricing out the cruises from Nassau and Bermuda. Even factoring in airfare, the total cost isn’t more than what a similar 7 night cruise during the summer from a US port would cost. In fact it’s actually a bit cheaper. The cruises are competitively priced, specially the ones from Bermuda. And airfare using Royal’s Air2Sea program is considerably cheaper than trying to book airfare directly. 

If I didn’t already have a busy summer with other plans, I would’ve already booked! 

Is that comparing driving to a port vs flying?

I just looked and the cruise prices alone don't seem bad but I also realized they are trying to sell a cruise with only a few months lead time. People with disposable could swing it on short notice but not much time for a family if they had to save for it. I guess that is what the "discount" is for.

13 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Is that comparing driving to a port vs flying?

Hey,

I priced out the cruise + airfare to Nassau or Bermuda vs a cruise from Miami, Tampa or Port Canaveral without airfare. What I came up with, for my family of 4 is roughly:

For Adventure out of Nassau:

$3,500 for the cruise and $1,300 for airfare for a  total of $4,800

For Vision out of Bermuda:

$2,300 for the cruise and $1,600 for airfare for a total of $3,900

Brilliance out of Tampa:

$3,800 for the cruise (drive 6 hours)

Allure out of Port Canaveral

$4,900 for the cruise (drive 7 hours)

Symphony out of Miami

$5,400 for the cruise (drive 10 hours)

Granted, you can’t compare the Vision with the Allure or Symphony, but under the current circumstances I’d be willing to go on the Vision, specially at those prices. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tapi said:

Hey,

I priced out the cruise + airfare to Nassau or Bermuda vs a cruise from Miami, Tampa or Port Canaveral without airfare. What I came up with, for my family of 4 is roughly:

For Adventure out of Nassau:

$3,500 for the cruise and $1,300 for airfare for a  total of $4,800

For Vision out of Bermuda:

$2,300 for the cruise and $1,600 for airfare for a total of $3,900

Brilliance out of Tampa:

$3,800 for the cruise (drive 6 hours)

Allure out of Port Canaveral

$4,900 for the cruise (drive 7 hours)

Symphony out of Miami

$5,400 for the cruise (drive 10 hours)

Granted, you can’t compare the Vision with the Allure or Symphony, but under the current circumstances I’d be willing to go on the Vision, specially at those prices. 

Yikes, how many people and what are you booking.

I got $1200 plus about $500 airfare solo. For sept, the lowest date. Let the kids go back to school and cruise after labor day.

Nassau has the much better route and port taxes and fees. 2 days at coco cay vs only one day there from Bermuda. To get the 449 pp x 2 price out of Bermuda I have to book a fake person. It's a gty. 

Though I got at least one trip to the beaches of florida and got sept booked in a hotel out of Galveston. If vista doesn't go I'll probably go down to Galveston and enjoy the beach.  But I cant help looking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yikes, how many people and what are you booking.

Family of 4, lowest category available that isn’t an inside stateroom (which I WON’T do, no matter how cheap the cruise is😂).