Volendam Category N inside cabin

Joe&Barry

Hi all, We are considering one of these cabins for a South American cruise. There are only 4 cabins in this category all the way forward on Deck 1. I'm wondering about any noise, does it have a sofa/ sitting area, etc?  Has anyone had any experience with them? Thank you! 

I did not know N cabins existed.  Bow cabins will experience noise from thrusters and anchors if tendering.  Our only experience with a bow cabin was most assuredly our last as the noise from the thrusters was very loud.

• Like 2

First try halfacts dot com.  Also there is a guy on the tripadvisor forum who gives a run down of HAL cabin selections.  He does a good job.  Just go to their cruise forum and search Volendam.  That thread is pinned close to the top.

• Like 2

Just book interior guarantee.  For Volendam your confirmation will show "N".  Since I'm solo I ALWAYS book exactly this way....since I'm paying double. However, after 11 years of  booking this way, here's my experience: 

I have NEVER actually ended up in an "N", and only once have I been relegated to an "M" .  These are the least desirable of all the interiors.  So who is assigned to them?  On every one of my past cruises these cabins have been assigned to special short-term guest entertainers or other service contractors.   These people are not HAL employees so they are generally not expected to bunk in crew quarters below decks.  They are assigned to revenue cabins, but the least desirable ones.  So I have (except for the single M) always been assigned J, Ks, and Ls and I have even ended up in the VERY desirable "sideways Js" on a few occasions...all for the price of the guarantee.

Disclaimer:  I am describing my past experiences on the R-class ships and S-class ships in general, not only Volendam.  And I'm also referring to the interior cabins to which I have actually been assigned...before accepting upgrades to OVs or balconies (which I have frequently accepted).

• Like 3

My late wife and I had a forward OV cabin on Volendam 2013 Sydney/Singapore and had no problem with noise. We loved the rocking sensation which was a lovely to and off to sleep and the occasional sound of the bow breaking through a swell. Suits this ancient mariner.

On 4/8/2021 at 6:49 PM, Av8rix said:

Just book interior guarantee.  For Volendam your confirmation will show "N".  Since I'm solo I ALWAYS book exactly this way....since I'm paying double. However, after 11 years of  booking this way, here's my experience: 

I have NEVER actually ended up in an "N", and only once have I been relegated to an "M" .  These are the least desirable of all the interiors.  So who is assigned to them?  On every one of my past cruises these cabins have been assigned to special short-term guest entertainers or other service contractors.   These people are not HAL employees so they are generally not expected to bunk in crew quarters below decks.  They are assigned to revenue cabins, but the least desirable ones.  So I have (except for the single M) always been assigned J, Ks, and Ls and I have even ended up in the VERY desirable "sideways Js" on a few occasions...all for the price of the guarantee.

Disclaimer:  I am describing my past experiences on the R-class ships and S-class ships in general, not only Volendam.  And I'm also referring to the interior cabins to which I have actually been assigned...before accepting upgrades to OVs or balconies (which I have frequently accepted).

Thank you Susan!

On 4/9/2021 at 7:11 AM, lyndarra said:

My late wife and I had a forward OV cabin on Volendam 2013 Sydney/Singapore and had no problem with noise. We loved the rocking sensation which was a lovely to and off to sleep and the occasional sound of the bow breaking through a swell. Suits this ancient mariner.

Thank you! 

@Joe&Barry Not sure whether you are booking the full grand Voyage or just a segment.  For the full Grand Voyage all interior cabin categories are available to choose cabin # at time of booking.  The difference in fare from N to I (highest inside) is about a $1000pp spread, so maybe moving to a J might be worth considering to potentially secure a location you are more comfortable with for the full voyage.  If you are only booking a segment ALL categories are on a guarantee only and room #s will be assigned later based on category letter you pay for or higher.

Personally I would pay a little more to be more midship, even if staying on deck #1 - Quieter and less motion/vibration than in very front or far aft of that deck.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

@Joe&Barry also you may want to consider the aft L category rooms on deck 3 - they are under the seating area of the MDR, have minimal noise/vibration and are only marginally more in price than the category N rooms.

Yes, there are 2 rooms still available in that location and it looks like your just steps away from being able to go out to the promenade deck, too. Do you know if those rooms are the same size/ layout of all the insides? Looks like all inside rooms have a sitting area with a sofa which is important for us for the added space. We normally book a balcony but we want to devote more of our budget to tours for this trip. Thanks!

Just now, Joe&Barry said:

Yes, there are 2 rooms still available in that location and it looks like your just steps away from being able to go out to the promenade deck, too. Do you know if those rooms are the same size/ layout of all the insides? Looks like all inside rooms have a sitting area with a sofa which is important for us for the added space. We normally book a balcony but we want to devote more of our budget to tours for this trip. Thanks!

Oh, and we are looking at the full 74 days in 2023 since we are retiring next year.