Bermuda Escape Cruises - insights, information, and more just on Bermuda

CCWineLover

Royal Caribbean has started a new program ...Muster 2.0 .All safety information is viewed electronically on cabin tv or personal phone. Then at your leisure , as long as it is before sailing,  report to your muster station and crew member will check off your name.

I would assume Viking would have a similar procedure in place. This would negate a large group congregation.

Hope meals are not electronic!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stempy said:

Royal Caribbean has started a new program ...Muster 2.0 .All safety information is viewed electronically on cabin tv or personal phone. Then at your leisure , as long as it is before sailing,  report to your muster station and crew member will check off your name.

I would assume Viking would have a similar procedure in place. This would negate a large group congregation.

Hope meals are not electronic!

I read about RCI's plans for Muster 2.0 over a year ago and shake my head how any cruise line could lower the standards of the Muster Drill, to watching the a show on the telly and then going to the Assembly Station, "At your leisure"

The Muster Drill is a critical safety component of embarking on a ship. In addition to familiarising pax, it also provides an opportunity for the crew to practice herd management. I have no doubt the Viking Sky survivors can attest to this.

Numerous studies into marine emergencies indicate pax tend to respond in an emergency with how they were trained. The Muster 2.0 omits a number of key deliverables - hearing the General Emergency Signal (GES) and immediately heading to the Assembly Stations, following the crew's directions, as some routes may be through crew accommodation.

Regardless of what the company says, it certainly wouldn't be happening on my ship. Will be interesting to see how many Masters utilise Section 5 of the ISM Code and hold proper drills.

Yes, they have to address social distancing, but they must not negate the reasons for holding Muster Drills, which were made more stringent after the sinking of the Costa Concordia and the associated loss of life. Hopefully Viking will show more concern for pax safety and hold a proper drill, with consideration to social distancing.

Look y'all, this was an attempt to move the focus off the anxiety over the pre-covid testing requirement, not to start negative discussions.  I am sure this has all been thought out by the Viking powers that be.

50 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I read about RCI's plans for Muster 2.0 over a year ago and shake my head how any cruise line could lower the standards of the Muster Drill, to watching the a show on the telly and then going to the Assembly Station, "At your leisure"

The Muster Drill is a critical safety component of embarking on a ship. In addition to familiarising pax, it also provides an opportunity for the crew to practice herd management. I have no doubt the Viking Sky survivors can attest to this.

Numerous studies into marine emergencies indicate pax tend to respond in an emergency with how they were trained. The Muster 2.0 omits a number of key deliverables - hearing the General Emergency Signal (GES) and immediately heading to the Assembly Stations, following the crew's directions, as some routes may be through crew accommodation.

Regardless of what the company says, it certainly wouldn't be happening on my ship. Will be interesting to see how many Masters utilise Section 5 of the ISM Code and hold proper drills.

Yes, they have to address social distancing, but they must not negate the reasons for holding Muster Drills, which were made more stringent after the sinking of the Costa Concordia and the associated loss of life. Hopefully Viking will show more concern for pax safety and hold a proper drill, with consideration to social distancing.

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable on Amtrack.

We are just trying to support fellow future passengers and make the best out of such a unique world situation. 

As a retired former ship captain I can say, just imho of course, that passenger ship drills are a joke.  In a real emergency just look at the Costa Concordia mess.  Lucky the ship laid over on the island or the death toll would have rivaled Titanic.  On our freighters/tankers we had weekly drills for all crew including lowering boats, getting into flotation/survival gear in a measured time, and even firing the line firing gun.  When (not if) an emergency happens on the Behemoth of the Seas, it will be ugly...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Uh-oh, Stempy stepped in it....

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha, Amtrak aint that bad.  Only problem was when I was sitting on the Loo, when I stood up, the shower came on...😳

Ragnar & Jim - you chaps are way more knowledgeable than me. I thought I knew all Cruise Lines - Amtrack must be one of the new ones, Eh!!!😁

Time to head back to Explorers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

As a retired former ship captain I can say, just imho of course, that passenger ship drills are a joke.  In a real emergency just look at the Costa Concordia mess.  Lucky the ship laid over on the island or the death toll would have rivaled Titanic.  On our freighters/tankers we had weekly drills for all crew including lowering boats, getting into flotation/survival gear in a measured time, and even firing the line firing gun.  When (not if) an emergency happens on the Behemoth of the Seas, it will be ugly...

So true Jim.

Cruise ship Captains have a tough job managing crew in the event of an emergency. Sadly, not all crew can be relied upon once the lights go out and smoke appears. They require regular and relevant training to increase the probability they will perform their roles, as outlined on the Muster List.

When we replaced Lifesaving Equipment we had to conduct extensive studies and computer modelling on human responses in an amergency, all of which was incorporated into the design. Basically the results are fairly consistent and are improved by crew training and pax famil.

The Costa Concordia drove some well needed Muster Drill improvements to SOLAS, requiring a drill before departure, rather than within 24 hrs of departure, a loophole Costa utilised to save having Muster Drills at every port. Some pax had boarded that day and had not participated in a drill, other than information in the cabin.

From a command and control perspective, nothing beats throwing herds of pax at the crew and having the stairway guides deal with the issues and sending pax via the safe routes provided by the Staff Captain.

Controlling pax in an emergency was challenging enough in the days of the original minimal Muster Drills. Taking the time to properly train pax just isn't possible, as it was often a struggle to have them leave the bar/pool to participate. All we wanted to achieve was recognise the General Emergency Signal (GES), follow crew directions getting to the Assembly Station via a safe route. Dumbing the Muster Drill even further is criminal.

But of course, like you, what do I know, as I only survived almost 30 yrs in Command of pax vessels. Thank goodness I'm retired😀 

• Like 3

Viking web site for Bermuda escapes has a nice mix of excursions posted beyond the included walking tour. Has anyone who has been to Bermuda been to the Mastworks Art Museum in Hamilton?  Did not know that Georgia O'Keefe  has stayed on island and one of her painting is in museum. Lot of local  artists  too. 

Edited by Azulann

We are also on the June 15 sailing and were able to book dining reservations, but as you mentioned , still no excursions or any direction from Viking on Travel Authorization Forms to enter Bermuda.

After several calls, get the same answer of “we are working on it.”

2 hours ago, Stempy said:

We are also on the June 15 sailing and were able to book dining reservations, but as you mentioned , still no excursions or any direction from Viking on Travel Authorization Forms to enter Bermuda.

After several calls, get the same answer of “we are working on it.”

You are ineed the trailblazers for the Bermuda cruises.

Viking has their hands full , I expect , figuring out the excursions, how many allowed  in each group , finding vaccinated guides, drivers etc. All this within  the phase two of Bermuda restrictions that started May 9.  They  have just opened up their shops and cafes for outdoor dining at 20% capacity. Schools  open today.  And  this weekend they had two new cases , a huge drop since their spike in early April. Phase three starts June 6 with more  easing of  covid restrictions on the island.

I read the Royal Gazette newpaper online daily to prepare for my cruise  which is July 13-20

I will be  waiting to see , like you ,when Viking gets the information they need from Bermuda goverment to finalize their excursions and update all cruisers  about the coivd   tests, and travel authorization form..

In the meantime, we have time to dream about  pink sand, sea breezes and walking tours of Hamilton and St. Geroge and various points of interest.  I am interested in visiting the Art Museum. 

Have either of you been to Bermuda? It will  be my first visit.

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Azulann said:

Viking has their hands full , I expect , figuring out the excursions, how many allowed  in each group , finding vaccinated guides, drivers etc. All this within  the phase two of Bermuda restrictions that started May 9.  They  have just opened up their shops and cafes for outdoor dining at 20% capacity. Schools  open today.  And  this weekend they had two new cases , a huge drop since their spike in early April. Phase three starts June 6 with more  easing of  covid restrictions on the island.

I read the Royal Gazette newpaper online daily to prepare for my cruise  which is July 13-20

I will be  waiting to see , like you ,when Viking gets the information they need from Bermuda goverment to finalize their excursions and update all cruisers  about the coivd   tests, and travel authorization form..

In the meantime, we have time to dream about  pink sand, sea breezes and walking tours of Hamilton and St. Geroge and various points of interest.  I am interested in visiting the Art Museum. 

nicely done, good information.

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Unless something has changed, the restrictions to visit the island are becoming more stringent on June 6th:

• If arriving on or after June 6, 2021: Present a copy of the pre-departure COVID-19 negative test result obtained no more than three days before arriving in Bermuda.
  • Thanks 1

MRGACRUZR.

Yes  the pre entrance test before entering the island is 3 days on or after June 6. As to restricitons on the island itself  that will be eased . Then again, things can change again before June 6. 

It all depends on the COVID numbers, just like in the US. 

I am hopeful that with more vaccinations and their contact tracing those on island ,numbers will come down.  

But more flights and  Viking and RCI  home porting  in Bermuda during the summer,  it is a gamble. 

We just have to wait  for further informaiton in the coming month. 

Edited by Azulann
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Azulann said:

MRGACRUZR.

Yes  the pre entrance test before entering the island is 3 days on or after June 6. As to restricitons on the island itself  that will be eased . Then again, things can change again before June 6. 

It all depends on the COVID numbers, just like in the US. 

I am hopeful that with more vaccinations and their contact tracing those on island ,numbers will come down.  

But more flights and  Viking and RCI  home porting  in Bermuda during the summer,  it is a gamble. 

We just have to wait  for further informaiton in the coming month. 

As of this moment, you must be vaccinated and remain within Viking's bubble to take this cruise. No "Independent" touring on Bermuda. This is per Viking. The cruise is June 15th. It seems to me that by now Viking and Bermuda should have a game plan.

Just to intensify the fun, this cruise is on a Tuesday. That means that a Saturday and Sunday are part of the day 0 and day 1 for having a negative Civid test to satisfy Bermuda's entrance requirement. Subtract a day off the other end to satisfy Bermuda's policy that a visit request will not be dealt with in the last 24 hours before arrival. More fun than I'm interested in but, so far, hanging in there. Definitely concerned with Viking's silence, no matter how much they gave to do.

• Like 1

MRGACRUZR,

Yes ,those are the rules of the road for these Viking cruises as of today.

I am fine with  the protocol  and knew these when I booked ,the second day I got the" Welcome to the World" email. 

Any of us can cancel up to 14 days before sailing, without any reason to give,  if  we choose. 

Hang in there and see what the next two weeks bring. 🙂

Anyone know what happens to the premium paid for the Viking trip insurance if one cancels before the 14 day limit?  Does it become a credit like the cruise fare?

We canceled a Viking Alaska cruise, before Viking canceled them all.  We got our money back for the cruise, but lost the trip insurance premium.  But  the Bermuda cruise cancelation policy is somewhat different in that there is no option to get your cash back, only a credit.  The sales person did not mention what happens with the trip insurance premium, and I forgot to ask...

27 minutes ago, Stempy said:

Will be guzzling an infinite number of frozen daiquiris if we finally get on board without a snafu.

Right after the Bloody Mary, margarita and leading up to wine!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, bafinegan said:

I'm leaning more toward Mojitos or Patron Margeritas😉

i love these drinks in the tropics and during summer! 

The best Patron margarita  I have had was at the Mast   bar of Celebrity  Century while transiting the Panama Canal on Christmas Eve. But it might have been  based on my surroundings that day.

Now I am thirsty , but it is only 53 degrees today in the North. so I will have a gin martini instead a little later.

• Like 1