The Daily for Wednesday Apr 14, 2021

richwmn

Today is International Be Kind to Lawyers Day, Ex Spouse Day, and International Moment of Laughter Day

"Variety's the very spice of life, That gives it all its flavor. - William Cowper"

Meal suggestion for today - Parmesan Chicken with Artichoke Hearts

Drink of the Day - Rock Me Amadeus

Wine of the day - Giant Steps 2019 Chardonnay (Yarra Valley) Victoria

Port of the Day - Cruising Geirangerfjord

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/15
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/17

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Zaandam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

0414USA.thumb.png.a37db06fde57e789012a5473b3ccb13c.png

0414Europe.thumb.png.b04cdae214f5d14e4a736b39048af533.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  Interesting selection of days with a special salute to Laughter.  I've found variety the spice of life, even in my cruising history.  I've been to many fjords but I don't think Geirangerfjord.  Chicken Parmigiana sounds great.  My alternative is Iced Melon Bisque, Fresh Fruit Medley, and New York Striploin Steak as served on MS Amsterdam April 14, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery

Baltic27 DH heart cathaterization

NextOne DH facing chemo

Vict0iann awaiting biopsy results

RIP Prince Phillip

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Jl88

Tax refund for Cruzin Terri

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for puppycanducruise, Horizon Chaser 1957 DH

Jab booking for Crazy for Cats

cat shepard clean dermatologist visit

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day.

My moment of laughter was the thought of being kind to lawyers.  Too many bad jokes there.  No ex-spouses in our house.🙂

Love the quote.

The dinner suggestion sounds good - looking forward to seeing the recipe.

Hope the drink of the day and wine are good too.

My arm is a little sore after my jab yesterday, but very happy to have it.

Stay safe.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.

Some interesting celebrations today.  I have no ex spouse to celebrate, so that is a good thing.  The few members of the family that do would celebrate the ex status.   We do have one lawyer in the family and we appreciate all the help he has given to us.  Now, the laughter part I'll take.  We all need to laugh.  Let's see if I can do that after a visit to the dentist for a broken tooth.

I have been to Geirangerfjord and it is stunningly beautiful.  We went to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba for the view back down and WOW!   In the afternoon we did a RIB adventure.  That was one of the coolest things we did.  We were right at water level and able to get up close enough to the waterfalls to touch them.  I'd go back in a heartbeat.   

Today's meal gets good reviews.  A couple of people thought it was bland, but it does seem to have a good combination of seasonings.  You'll have to decide!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/parmesan-chicken-with-artichoke-hearts/

1 chicken breast half with 3/4 cup artichoke mixture: 339 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 667mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 42g protein.

Parmesan chicken with artichoke hearts.jpg

• Like 24
  • Thanks 4

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy for your posts.  No ex spouse here, same one for almost 55 years.  We need the moments of laughter all day everyday.  Great quote by Cowper.  Will skip the meal as DH doesn't like Artichokes.  I think we had this drink before and I couldn't find anything online about it.  I believe Fred found it on a HAL drink menu.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.  Happy more and more are getting their jabs.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your updates, good wishes and recipes.  

What a funny day honoring ex-spouses and lawyers, the two go hand in hand, don't they.  😁

I love fjords, it is one of the reasons I cruise.  We have cruised Geirangerfjord.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 18
  • Haha 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! What a wild combination of days! I will just focus on the appreciating lawyers and laughter, since I do not have an ex-spouse. I have had the honor of working closely with some amazing attorneys. Though they were lawyers, they all practiced in court, so they preferred to call themselves attorneys. 

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists & the shout out! Morning Dailyites we have a “creamy” white wine today! What a great quote! Debbie, that meal sounds wonderful and your pictures are spectacular! Thank you for sharing!

Today is HVAC Spring check-up day here. It is sunny right now, but supposedly a period of unsettled weather is moving in. I think that just means the weather folk have no clue. 

Yesterday I got together with a few friends at the Beachfront Winery to celebrate my clean check-up! It was a spectacular afternoon/evening to be there. Lots of pelicans flying by in formation. I apologize for the super large  picture, but any attempt to reduce its size knocked it on its side. This was the view from our table at the winery. 
0F590093-551C-4A97-A5CB-9FE52271E99C.jpeg.cab48cabd67b7e7ad7aa3aca5ed3aa73.jpeg

I had to take a screenshot of this picture in order to be able to reduce its size for posting here. My attempts to reduce the size of the actual picture just knocked it on its side. 

prayers for all who need our support. Thinking of you @Vict0riannand @baltic17- hope all goes well! Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone.

This vintage enters the superb ratings category, though all released vintages have excellent ratings. I found it for as low as $24.98 online, so you might find it for less locally. This is going on my list. 

Winemaker Notes

#24 Wine Enthusiast Top 100 of 2020

Aromas of citrus, fresh melon and crushed hazelnuts with mineral undertones. The palate is long, elegant and broad with a beautiful creaminess from the extended aging on its lees. A backbone of crisp and punchy acidity carries flavors of stone fruits, citrus and shortbread through a persistent finish.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast:The latest vintage of this noteworthy producer’s Chardonnay is singing. A harmonious, multifaceted nose offers notes of bright citrus, fresh melon and flowers, while a chorus of sun-baked stones and freshly baked bread linger behind. Beautifully textural and salty on the palate, it crunches with minerals and vibrant fruit. The oak is tucked away and the finish long and salty. Drink now– 2030.

WS94 Wine Spectator: Stunningly precise, vivid and mouthwatering, with a hint of butterscotch to the lemon curd, pear and mango flavors. Intense and juicy, finishing fresh and vibrant. Details of white tea and roasted hazelnut emerge on the finish. Drink now through 2030.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂

What a combination of days 😱 No ex here thankfully.  Only married once and he’s still here - at least, so far 😉   As to lawyers...

122FBD3C-F301-45F4-B0B1-91993262B693.png.a696bab3fec5fe0fa71829929645981e.png

Laughter is so important.

42CB8393-99D1-4B7A-B699-4E1C9E207343.jpeg.f57006d7e6aefb7ad34aec8b8bd900db.jpeg

Love the Cowper quote and the meal suggestion for today.  I have chicken out so it will be on the menu tonight sans artichokes (none on hand).

That Australian wine sounds lovely @cat shepard  Definitely adding this one to my list.  Thanks 🙂 

@dfishthank you for sharing your fabulous pictures.  We’re looking forward to seeing that fjord next year 🤞 

@Cruzin Terrigood news on your refund finally hitting your bank account 🙂 

@bennybear YAY on your seeds 👍 

It was unbelievably cold here yesterday.  Felt more like winter coming than spring arriving 😔 I wanted to get some planters out to see if I could transplant a few of the begonias that need it desperately and keep them in the house but way too cold to even do that.  If it’s that cold again today I think I will just...

D4DD55FD-114E-4362-ADD3-027257EDF8AE.jpeg.9ac1adf1c19fc777f82e9da1846ccb1e.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory/Shout Out list.

Have a great hump day everyone.  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 33
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

I think we had this drink before and I couldn't find anything online about it.  I believe Fred found it on a HAL drink menu.

Here is what I have from October 5, 2020

40ml Tequila Aha Toro blanco
30ml Mozart Chocolate Vodka
15ml fresh lime juice
15ml fresh lemon juice
30ml heavy cream
25ml sugar syrup
2 drops Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

shake and pour into high tumbler

The idea behind the drink was to twist the famous Ramos Gin Fizz.

It was in a series of drinks from Billboard Onboard that began September 27. Overhead Fred did post a bar menu on September 28.

• Like 21

Early this month I posted a couple of photos from an Eastbound Queen Elizabeth transatlantic with a notation that I was going on to an Eastbound Crystal Symphony transpacific with an intermediate stop in Angkor Wat.  I never saw the sun come up in Angkor Wat and April 14 was Symphony's first sea day out of Kobe.

dawn414b.jpg

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Here is what I have from October 5, 2020

40ml Tequila Aha Toro blanco
30ml Mozart Chocolate Vodka
15ml fresh lime juice
15ml fresh lemon juice
30ml heavy cream
25ml sugar syrup
2 drops Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters

shake and pour into high tumbler

The idea behind the drink was to twist the famous Ramos Gin Fizz.

It was in a series of drinks from Billboard Onboard that began September 27. Overhead Fred did post a bar menu on September 28.

Well done, super sleuth!!!

• Like 10

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A dear friend of ours is a lawyer and we always treat him kindly.  Although we've been married 44 years, DH does have an ex, so I call him my "rescue".  I'm pretty sure the secret to a happy marriage is laughter, and that's something we do almost every day.

Hopefully the snow we received will all melt away today, because we're itching to get back into the yard.  We bought some pots a while ago, but didn't care for the colour, so we want to spray paint them a dark grey - we've got the paint, now just need the weather to warm up so we can do them.

I like today's menu suggestion, but DH doesn't care for artichoke hearts, and since I made a big batch of baked chicken breasts yesterday, I'll create something using a couple of the cooked pieces tonight.  And wine.   

BTW, both of us really enjoyed our Aperol Spritzes yesterday, it brought back great memories of our time in Venice and Barcelona.  I used Henkell Trocken that we bought in 200ml bottles; 1 was perfect for 2 drinks.  They might become our pre-dinner go-to, especially in summer.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Roy to get good care for his heart.  Raising the wine glasses tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your mask(s) and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Good morning!  Interesting group of days to celebrate today.  No ex-spouses here either, thank goodness.  Today's recipe looks interesting.  I notice that sheet pan dishes are all the rage now.

I can recall two visits to Geirangerfjord and the town of Geiranger.  It's one of the most beautiful views in Norway, which is saying a lot!  The first time was on Crown Princess in 2013 with friends and we had just planned to walk around the town.  That was very enjoyable, but the second time we went there on the Prinsendam in 2016 on "the best Norway cruise ever",  we arranged ahead of time for tickets to be picked up at the visitor's center for a bus ride up to Mt. Dalsnibba.  This was the cruise with our favorite master, Captain D. D.   I see @dfishhas posted some photos from our tour up there so I will see if there any different ones in my collection.

In 2013 we enjoyed the waterfall that runs down the mountain right through the town and out to the fjord.enhance

The Crown Princess looked like it was literally right on the shore line but it wasn't as close as it appeared.enhance

It was actually THAT far away.enhance

Lots of campers come here.  Look how green this place is.enhance

Pretty far up the hill is this information hub called the Norsk Fjordsenter.enhance

enhance

A home along our route back downhill.enhance

enhance

In 2016 on our bus ride up the mountain.enhance

enhance

enhance

A view of the road we were on from the top.enhance

And here's the money shot, the view everyone comes here to see.enhance

enhance

coming back downhill.enhance

And a stop halfway down the hill at an overlook.enhance

While going through Geirangerfjord on our way out we stopped to see the Seven Sisters waterfall and the Suitor waterfall.  They are almost directly across the fjord from each other.  This is the Suitor who was allegedly rejected by the Seven Sisters.   Looks like he took to the bottle, doesn't it?enhance

And here are the Seven Sisters.

enhance

It's absolutely beautiful.  You MUST come here!

• Like 39
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from a warm but overcast day at the beach

No ex spouse here, been married for 43 years. We have 1 lawyer in the family.  I worked with a group of attorneys in my working years. Most were good people.

Always good use a good laugh. Needed now more than ever. We were scheduled to go to Geirangfiord (sp) in 2020. Another time. The pictures are beautiful. 

The Disney ships are still sitting off our coast.  They look lonely. I am sure the crew is just as frustrated as we are. 

Water aerobics today then errands.  

Be safe and enjoy today.

• Like 20

Good morning all,

I got a chuckle from the choice of days today. 
The sun is coming up here and it looks like we have clouds again. When DH came to bed last night it was raining. I tried to stay awake for a while to enjoy the rare sound, but couldn’t.

Finally a port we have been to and have pictures. We had lots of fog for Mt. Dalsnibba. Will post a few pictures later when I have my computer up and running. Gotta go recharge my iPad NOW.🥴

• Like 20

Good  morning  and  what  SPECTACULAR pictures! Thank  you  for  the  days,recipes and  jokes.

I  would  not  have  had  DS without  an  ex-spouse  so  I  will  celebrate  this  day. There  were  lawyers  in  the  family  who  need  to  be  appreciated  as  well. I  agree  with   @kazu and  @ger_77 about  laughter. It  is  a  daily thing  here  and  a  blessing.

We  have  cruised  Geirangfiord. I  found  a  few  pretty  awful  pictures and  will  leave  you  with  one. Terry

IMG_0804.JPG

• Like 20

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Well done, super sleuth!!!

Actually, it was easy-peasy. I have a file that I use to record each Daily Drink recipe, along with comments. Just have to do a "search" to see if it's a repeat.

Have put several recipes to use and plan to use it for a refence on the next cruise.

• Like 14

Good morning Rich. I love today's Daily! Thank you..

My niece got her Master's degree and became a broker. She decided her real calling is law, so she's back in school in San Diego. She will be 35 in a few days. I'm proud of her.

Yesterday slipped away from me. I worked in the yard, Allen had his A+ dental check up, met friends for dinner, and came home to candle light and a cocktail on our patio. Noticed Claudio came by and planted some azalea and gardenia while we were gone. He said it's so difficult getting plants since our deep freeze wiped out so many everyone wants replacements.

St Louise Cruisers beautiful pictures! We do have some CC travelers that seem to have visited the world! 

Today I teach Mahjongg. I have 4 new students. I'll have taught 35 so far counting this group. 

Everyone have an awesome day. God loves you. Prayers and Cheers. 

• Like 19