Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

On 4/14/2021 at 2:48 PM, LHARTWICK said:

Agreed!  I am just stunned that vaccinations will not be required after all the industry has been through.  The industry wouldn't survive another shutdown.  Why would they risk other outbreaks, regardless of how large or small?  I'm vaccinated, so I'm not worried about catching it either.  Once opened again, we may stick to lines that require vaccinations for a while.  

Agree 110%.  I am fully vaccinated, and so is my DH.  I sure would hope that every person on the ship, would also be fully vaccinated.  I don't understand why some are against it.  Do you WANT to get sick? This virus is Real..  The last thing any of us need, passengers, crew, and cruise lines themselves, is for the 1st cruise out, to have an outbreak of Coved.  That would shut things down again, so fast, maybe forever. As for children. I'm sure within the next month or two, all kids will be eligible to get the vaccine. All adults over the age of 18, are eligible now. Kids will be next.  I'm so ready to cruise. Got 1 booked for Nov, Jan, and Mar, and debating a 2nd one for Mar.  

• Like 4

There will be some covid cases, CDC and the lines aren't living in fantasy land. The point is to mitigate, not eliminate "outbreaks" (really cases IMO). There have only been around 240 cases in all the cruises that have taken place world wide since covid. Only one death. This was/is before vaccines became much more widely available. I don't think anyone wants to get sick but the simple fact is there is no 100% risk free cruise. Those that expect a 100% risk free cruise should stay home. 

We should be glad that the CDC has accepted this fact and is moving forward with the resumption of cruising. The plan is sound and reasonable. Folks should get vaccines to protect themselves and there will be contingencies in place for any cases that pop up and require medical intervention but I suspect there won't be many. Quarantine mistakes were made in the past and those have been rectified as well so folks shouldn't worry about getting stranded on a ship either. Those that are unvaccinated could have their trip ruined but the vast majority of cruisers will be vaccinated and that's a fact. Too many are focusing on a sliver of worry when the majority of the pie is positive and exciting.   

• Like 2

We've had 240,000 vaccinations in 100 days. 82% of Americans over 65 have had at least 1 shot.  54% of Americans over 18 have had at least 1 shot. We have states that will begin to reach herd immunity within 2-3 months. We are third in the world in vaccinations per capita. We really should have a positive perspective of how far we've come especially when we see a country like India which was on top of Covid for a year but has suffered a tragic uptick.

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, OceanZena said:

When us healthy passengers who haven't been jabbed with an experimental shot are boarding the ships I doubt you'll be so smug. 

Why do you keep feeling the need to call this vaccine experimental.  You seem like you are trolling.  Are you a PHd scientist to judge what is known science or not?  It is not experimental.  The science is decades old and now applied to covid. It is like saying a new set if tires is experimental after they redesigned the tread patterns.  It really seems like you are stuck in a foolish position and trying to justify it to convince yourself.  I have friends that are globally recognized medical researchers and they tell me these vaccines are about as known in their scientific actions as any drug ever made.  Sure, with any drug given to millions, a few immune systems will react in an unknown way, but that is not experimental.  That happens with food products all the time, even ones with maybe 3 ingredients.  A few scare stories about 'possible problems' totally fail to apply the math of the illness risks vs the vaccine risks.  It is a no brainer and every unproven vaccine concern is also a feature of Covid, only order of magnitudes more likely to occur.  What is true is that death rates spiked historically high pre vaccine and are already approaching normal rates again post vaccine.  So we should all not get vaccinated and continue having half a million extra deaths each year, even more as isolation fatigue makes it even worse?  Is that your honest recommendation?

The flu vaccine is new every year.

My guess is that some of these posts are paid foreign actors and troll bots.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, Stallion said:

We've had 240,000 vaccinations in 100 days. 82% of Americans over 65 have had at least 1 shot.  54% of Americans over 18 have had at least 1 shot. We have states that will begin to reach herd immunity within 2-3 months. We are third in the world in vaccinations per capita. We really should have a positive perspective of how far we've come especially when we see a country like India which was on top of Covid for a year but has suffered a tragic uptick.

In the three counties nearest me over 68% of adults over 16 have had at least one shot!  Great job America.  The anti vaccine Luddites can remain the draft dodgers of their era.  They will have a high risk of serious illness and the associated long term side effects of Covid (10%+ serious blood clots, brain fog, lung damage equal to smokers lung...), much better than a vaccine with known technology and fully tested proven 95% effective.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, balcony bound said:

Happy to hear most of you didn't suffer side effects from the vaccine.  I was not so fortunate, and wouldn't wish my experience on anyone.

I had a low grade fever both shots. Was good for nothing the next day. Upset stomach and couldnt eat. Sweats during the night from the fever. Couldnt have run any errands.

But I'd do it again in a second. I was so relieved when I got the 2nd shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Why do you keep feeling the need to call this vaccine experimental.  You seem like you are trolling.  Are you a PHd scientist to judge what is known science or not?  It is not experimental.  The science is decades old and now applied to covid. It is like saying a new set if tires is experimental after they redesigned the tread patterns.  It really seems like you are stuck in a foolish position and trying to justify it to convince yourself.  I have friends that are globally recognized medical researchers and they tell me these vaccines are about as known in their scientific actions as any drug ever made.  Sure, with any drug given to millions, a few immune systems will react in an unknown way, but that is not experimental.  That happens with food products all the time, even ones with maybe 3 ingredients.  A few scare stories about 'possible problems' totally fail to apply the math of the illness risks vs the vaccine risks.  It is a no brainer and every unproven vaccine concern is also a feature of Covid, only order of magnitudes more likely to occur.  What is true is that death rates spiked historically high pre vaccine and are already approaching normal rates again post vaccine.  So we should all not get vaccinated and continue having half a million extra deaths each year, even more as isolation fatigue makes it even worse?  Is that your honest recommendation?

Thank you for a well-stated post.  Unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears, because those that have convinced themselves of their viewpoint of the vaccine do not want to change their minds because they will have Been Wrong (unlike what "science" does all the time: new facts => new theory => test it & check it => update current understanding).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Stallion said:

Unfortunately it appears that a large minority of Americans have decided they will not get vaccinated, and it might be enough to prevent herd immunity from being induced, at least until that portion of the population catches COVID and ends up immunizing themselves the hard way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

In the three counties nearest me over 68% of adults over 16 have had at least one shot!  Great job America.  The anti vaccine Luddites can remain the draft dodgers of their era.  They will have a high risk of serious illness and the associated long term side effects of Covid (10%+ serious blood clots, brain fog, lung damage equal to smokers lung...), much better than a vaccine with known technology and fully tested proven 95% effective.

Hey Pizza Steve,

Give us your expertise background for your expert analysis of the vaccine. Did you stay in Holiday Inn Express.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Here in Brevard county (FL) - including Port Canaveral - as of a couple days ago 26% of the population has received full dosing, and 39% have received at least 1 dose. We are a solid red county in a fairly red state (there is some correlation I'd suspect).

They now have more vaccine locally than demand, and demand is dropping off rather quickly. There are still some groups with varying concerns about the vaccine - not just referring to locals here. Vaccine hesitation comes from a variety of mindsets --  from fears of past "experimental" (Tuskegee) studies, and more so thanks to (actual) fake news, fear mongering, identity politics...

Heck - some people still think evolution is not "real", and that climate change is either not real or not significantly impacted by humans. Stick a fork in me, I'm done - LOL

I was impressed to see West Virginia (talk about red) discussing encouraging vaccine hold outs with $100 savings bonds. Not sure how many that would actually sway, but every little bit helps. Perhaps they could bump it up to $500 for the hold outs in the next push - sort of like a game show. There would be people waiting for the BIG prize... "Alex, I'll take (the) VACCINE for $1,000"!

Tom

It is truly amazing how science evolves around Covid. 

100 years of research after the 1918 Spanish Flu and not a single study was able to find community level masking of healthy individuals was useful.  But mere weeks into this pandemic, we strapped a piece of cloth to a mannequin and sprayed mists out of the mouth and concluded they worked.  I wonder why nobody thought of this in 100 years?  All these years of flu, and we could have just strapped a piece of cloth to mannequin and solved it!

Years of development on vaccines for horrible diseases like chikungunya, dengue, and ebola and they are only starting to near approval.  But Covid vaccine in mere months:  "Fully tested"¹.  Only a troll or bot would be suspicious of these miracle timeframes.  Name calling is clearly the best outreach to those that might be concerned.

¹ "The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine that may prevent COVID-19. There is no FDA-approved vaccine to prevent COVID-19."

https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Why do you keep feeling the need to call this vaccine experimental. 

Because it is and that is a fact you can't deny. I'm not here to tell anyone not to take it, and I honestly don't care if you do. And if sailing starts up this year for only vaccinated people, that's ok with me as well. 

I don't plan on sailing until the end of '22 anyway and by that time it won't matter if one is vaccinated or not. I'm just astounded by how many are accepting this experimental drug with absolutely no questioning of possible long term side effects. Almost ALL drugs have them and this was rushed out way too soon for anyone to factually state there will be none years down the road. It's a gamble with your long term health. 

I love cruising and can't wait to get back on the ships, but not at the long term expense of my health. But call me a "troll" or "bot" if that gets you through the day. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

It is truly amazing how science evolves around Covid. 

100 years of research after the 1918 Spanish Flu and not a single study was able to find community level masking of healthy individuals was useful.  But mere weeks into this pandemic, we strapped a piece of cloth to a mannequin and sprayed mists out of the mouth and concluded they worked.  I wonder why nobody thought of this in 100 years?  All these years of flu, and we could have just strapped a piece of cloth to mannequin and solved it!

Years of development on vaccines for horrible diseases like chikungunya, dengue, and ebola and they are only starting to near approval.  But Covid vaccine in mere months:  "Fully tested"¹.  Only a troll or bot would be suspicious of these miracle timeframes.  Name calling is clearly the best outreach to those that might be concerned.

¹ "The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is an unapproved vaccine that may prevent COVID-19. There is no FDA-approved vaccine to prevent COVID-19."

https://www.fda.gov/media/144414/download

They way they call us trolls and bots is the same way I wonder if some of these posters work for big pharma and are purposely here to promote the experimental drugs. And thank you for providing that factual link about the experimental Covid drug. 

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

I was impressed to see West Virginia (talk about red) discussing encouraging vaccine hold outs with $100 savings bonds. Not sure how many that would actually sway, but every little bit helps. Perhaps they could bump it up to $500 for the hold outs in the next push - sort of like a game show. There would be people waiting for the BIG prize... "Alex, I'll take (the) VACCINE for $1,000"!

This is terrifying. $100 bucks in exchange to take an untested, unapproved shot into your body that are already shown to cause blood clots, paralysis and death and may cause cancer or other various aliments and diseases later in life. Even for $20,000 I wouldn't do it. No amount of money in the world is worth my health. 

1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

LOL!

Out of curiosity, what do you find amusing?

1% is a small minority.

49% is a large minority.

From what I have read, at least 35% of US adults have no intention of getting the vaccine.  Thus, with some age limit still in play for kids, that is probably 40% or more of the population that will be unvaccinated.  A large (significant) minority.

• Like 1

I got the vaccine. I don’t think there is any type of conspiracy going on with the vaccine. But I don’t understand why people who don’t want the vaccine are getting such a bad rap. No matter what you read, hear or see, we won’t really know if there will be long term effects for quite some time. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Without a secure digital passport (not happening), even if they required 100% of guests to be vaccinated, they won't be - pure and simple. There are plenty of people who would forge the necessary documents (CDC card, attesting to it on a form,  bring a note from a Dr written on the back of a napkin, etc..).

Back in the day, we used Rum Runners to smuggle booze - and so did a number of others. People all have different levels of adherence to "rules". Some will comply with everything, others will find justification to do, basically, whatever. 

Tom

I agree  some people just won't follow rules. Sneaking booze on board isn't right but doesnt jeopardi,e other peoples lives. In this case though those people lying about being vaccinated would be purposely putting others in danger. I would hope that there are very serious consequences for anyone caught lying about being vaccinated. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bamaone said:

I got the vaccine. I don’t think there is any type of conspiracy going on with the vaccine. But I don’t understand why people who don’t want the vaccine are getting such a bad rap. No matter what you read, hear or see, we won’t really know if there will be long term effects for quite some time. 

There are a few folks who are indeed, um, aggressive about their stance that everyone should get the vaccine.  I think everyone should too, but I generally just shrug and smile when someone says they won't be getting it.

The main concern I have is that if enough people don't get vaccinated, the disease will linger with higher prevalence in the general population, and that threatens the health of people who legitimately can't get vaccinated for health reasons.

I also suspect it also means that eventually a large portion of the unvaccinated population will get COVID anyway.  Which will have long-term impacts not just on them, potentially, but drives up health care costs.  And everyone ends up paying more in insurance or co-pays.

IMHO, enough people are vaccinated in the US (including me and those close to me) that I do not feel personally threatened by the virus.  And it looks like eventually I'll be able to travel normally to the rest of the world for business and pleasure, like I used to.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GranysT said:

Agree 110%.  I am fully vaccinated, and so is my DH.  I sure would hope that every person on the ship, would also be fully vaccinated.  I don't understand why some are against it.  Do you WANT to get sick? This virus is Real..  The last thing any of us need, passengers, crew, and cruise lines themselves, is for the 1st cruise out, to have an outbreak of Coved.  That would shut things down again, so fast, maybe forever. As for children. I'm sure within the next month or two, all kids will be eligible to get the vaccine. All adults over the age of 18, are eligible now. Kids will be next.  I'm so ready to cruise. Got 1 booked for Nov, Jan, and Mar, and debating a 2nd one for Mar.  

Re: why some people are against the vaccine. I just read a study/poll that showed a very high percentage of anti vaxxers have low education while most who plan to be vaccinated have college or above. I think they read nonsense about it and instead of believing in science, choose to believe in conspiracy theories.

I highly doubt any cruiseline will risk people just making a declaration that they've been vaccinated. The last thing the cruiselines need is someone aboard unvaccinated spreading covid around. 

Edited by Cruisin 4 Ever
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

A well written intelligent post. Thank you!!!!!!

• Like 2