Carnival’s CEO states that they will not require vaccinations

Prismism

He makes a lot of good points here. I'm vaccinated so I'm not concerned with catching it but I am worried about outbreaks that disrupt the cruise itself or lead to calls for halting the industry again. That said, the interesting thing here is that three major lines that I'm aware of have mandated vaccines but Carnival is convinced that they're cliental won't accept the restriction. It's an interesting view of how the different lines view their customer base. In the end, I just want to see them sailing again. I called my senator's office this morning to support the Rubio bill to reopen cruising, fingers crossed. 

• Like 17

14 minutes ago, Jasonsterling said:

He makes a lot of good points here. I'm vaccinated so I'm not concerned with catching it but I am worried about outbreaks that disrupt the cruise itself or lead to calls for halting the industry again. That said, the interesting thing here is that three major lines that I'm aware of have mandated vaccines but Carnival is convinced that they're cliental won't accept the restriction. It's an interesting view of how the different lines view their customer base. In the end, I just want to see them sailing again. I called my senator's office this morning to support the Rubio bill to reopen cruising, fingers crossed. 

Which 3 major lines have mandated vaccines? I've only heard of a couple very upscale saying they will require it.

Rcl has only said for the Caribbean cruises this summer, but has no policy. I'm not aware any very major lines having mandated it for usa cruises. Ncl proposed it to get cruising now and get around the cdc but it hasnt been accepted by the cdc. Unless the cdc says sure you can cruise now it's just a proposal. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Which 3 major lines have mandated vaccines? I've only heard of a couple very upscale saying they will require it.

Rcl has only said for the Caribbean cruises this summer, but has no policy. I'm not aware any very major lines having mandated it for usa cruises. Ncl proposed it to get cruising now and get around the cdc but it hasnt been accepted by the cdc. Unless the cdc says sure you can cruise now it's just a proposal. 

I didn't say for the U.S.A. because right now there are zero cruises for the U.S.A. Although, the Caribbean restart is obviously a work around for the U.S.A. and could be seen as such. NCL RCL and Celebrity are requiring it- I consider those three fairly major lines and whether or not it's just for the summer or a year or just a particular place it is mandated by those lines in some fashion. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stellarose said:

many ports will require a vaccine.   I know that is an unpopular opinion, but its just an opinion.  I want everyone to sail safely.

Vaccine or quarantine. And they might require something more than an easily forged piece of paper. Whatever US politicians huff and puff about is irrelevant.

• Like 2

The cruise industry is in disaray. Forget the CDC at the moment. We have NCL and RCL requiring the vaccine and Carnival indicating it will not require the vaccine for US cruises. We have NCL requesting the CDC to cruise with 100% vaccinations. If the CDC made a decision about cruising immediately, would they let NCL cruise or Carnival. NCL. The cruise industry should have a united front. Donald will look foolish if he has to change his decision and Carnival misses revenue opportunities due delays based on his decisions.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, stellarose said:

many ports will require a vaccine.   I know that is an unpopular opinion, but its just an opinion.  I want everyone to sail safely.

Which ports have mandated a vaccine so far? I'd guess Cayman islands, rest are pretty poor.

I havent followed the ports, though I do see their covid numbers.

5 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

The cruise industry is in disaray. Forget the CDC at the moment. We have NCL and RCL requiring the vaccine and Carnival indicating it will not require the vaccine for US cruises. We have NCL requesting the CDC to cruise with 100% vaccinations. If the CDC made a decision about cruising immediately, would they let NCL cruise or Carnival. NCL. The cruise industry should have a united front. Donald will look foolish if he has to change his decision and Carnival misses revenue opportunities due delays based on his decisions.

Even ncl and rcl are different, not united. Ncl proposes 100% vaccinated whereas rcl/celebrity say adults 16 and up for Caribbean. Children only need a negative test to board this summer. Might not sound different but if you have a family it is.

• Like 5

Mr Donald repeats that they are not requiring vaccination at present, but he will follow regulations. The CDC or foreign ports could require it. 

The cruise lines cannot make a decision because government has not made a decision.  

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Which ports have mandated a vaccine so far? I'd guess Cayman islands, rest are pretty poor.

I havent followed the ports, though I do see their covid numbers.

Cayman Islands aren't open for Americans.

What does poor have to do with mandating vaccines for visitors?

Most require testing and if you are positive you are quarantined. Many require you to purchase their insurance and/or other fees.

https://www.travelweekly.com/Caribbean-Travel/Caribbean-readies-for-a-wave-of-reopenings

4 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Mr Donald repeats that they are not requiring vaccination at present, but he will follow regulations. The CDC or foreign ports could require it. 

Why should cruise lines accept any responsibility if the government is going to force CDC to make the decisions? The CDC is going to be conservative.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise lines not agreeing on a common unified approach doesn't help. You don't see that as a problem?

Who gets to decide then? Which cruising company. Please dont say ccl because they are bigger. 

Maybe each will attract a different clientele? No one knows how this will work out. Imo it will be decided by the cdc. Not a single cruiseline.

• Like 1

My only concern about allowing cruises to begin without proof of vaccination is that the odds are greater that someone on the ship might develop severe covid symptoms.  If the cruise ship is able to deal with that person without disrupting the entire cruise, then I am fine with it.  If not, then I would rather start cruising with vaccinations required.  My hope is they can deal with a severe case like any other severe illness, which does not affect an entire cruise.

My sister was able to fly to the Virgin Islands with just proof of a negative covid test, so it makes sense that ports would have the same requirement.  It boils down to what the cruise ships will do if someone, most likely a person who did not get vaccinated, develops severe covid symptoms during a cruise.  I'm not sure why Carnival is taking the stand about not requiring proof of vaccinations to start cruising, but they also took the stand about not cruising from foreign ports.  

I really wish cruising could resume at a person's own risk with negative covid testing prior to boarding.  If someone gets deathly sick, quarantine them until they can get them off of the ship.  The days of quarantining everyone should be long gone.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Who gets to decide then? Which cruising company. Please dont say ccl because they are bigger. 

Maybe each will attract a different clientele? No one knows how this will work out. Imo it will be decided by the cdc. Not a single cruiseline.

Last summer there were at least three different cruise lines holding covid conventions resulting in at least 3 different mindsets. The CDC all along has been wanting a unified approach. Get all the cruise lines locked in a room (socially distanced) until they can agree on an approach that will work instead of expecting the CDC to evaluate several different approaches, possible rejecting one or more.

Product differentiation should not be based on public health.

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

Last summer there were at least three different cruise lines holding covid conventions resulting in at least 3 different mindsets. The CDC all along has been wanting a unified approach. Get all the cruise lines locked in a room (socially distanced) until they can agree on an approach that will work instead of expecting the CDC to evaluate several different approaches, possible rejecting one or more.

Product differentiation should not be based on public health.

Please quote your source that the cdc wants a unified approach.

Please stick to facts. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jasonsterling said:

He makes a lot of good points here. I'm vaccinated so I'm not concerned with catching it but I am worried about outbreaks that disrupt the cruise itself or lead to calls for halting the industry again. 

Agreed!  I am just stunned that vaccinations will not be required after all the industry has been through.  The industry wouldn't survive another shutdown.  Why would they risk other outbreaks, regardless of how large or small?  I'm vaccinated, so I'm not worried about catching it either.  Once opened again, we may stick to lines that require vaccinations for a while.  

• Like 15