75 days until we sail (or don't sail)

CineGraphic

2 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, I know, but he might be able to put some pressure on the Biden Admin. (not that he would) which could impact the CDC decision. 

Biden made a big point of saying his administration would follow the science. Now us laymen may have plenty of disagreements with the conclusions the CDC has reached based on the science. But in the end, he said he's following the science so I can't see him overruling the expert epidemiologists at the CDC because that wouldn't be following the science. Or at least it's following the experts who interpret the science, which is about the same thing.

We may think it's dumb, but neither us nor the politicians are the experts in the field. If you're going to follow the science, that means following your expert scientists.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

that means following your expert scientists.

I guess I wonder who the scientific "experts" truly are. There are multiple studies and data that indicate different results and opinions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, franktown said:

The bill was never even brought up in committee.  

It never made it out of committee.  As usual, the RCL Blog posts an uneducated assessment of what happened.  Sounds like they need to re-watch "How A Bill Becomes A Law" from School House Rock. 😛  They said "the Senate has blocked the bill from passing".  Getting ahead of ourselves much?  With the current makeup of the Senate, that bill was not never likely to pass.  And the same goes for the House bill.  It's all political theater.

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Biden made a big point of saying his administration would follow the science. Now us laymen may have plenty of disagreements with the conclusions the CDC has reached based on the science. But in the end, he said he's following the science so I can't see him overruling the expert epidemiologists at the CDC because that wouldn't be following the science. Or at least it's following the experts who interpret the science, which is about the same thing.

We may think it's dumb, but neither us nor the politicians are the experts in the field. If you're going to follow the science, that means following your expert scientists.

The problem is that Biden is "following the politics" not the science.  The CDC does have some good people, but when they dare to give their opinions based on evidence, before clearing it with the administration, they are rapidly silenced.

The new head of the CDC hinted yesterday, that outdoor wearing of facemasks would no longer be required.  

Let's see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, stevenr597 said:

The problem is that Biden is "following the politics" not the science.  The CDC does have some good people, but when they dare to give their opinions based on evidence, before clearing it with the administration, they are rapidly silenced.

That's quite an assertation. Is there any evidence to support it?

On 4/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, stevenr597 said:

The new head of the CDC hinted yesterday, that outdoor wearing of facemasks would no longer be required.  

Let's see what happens.

And isn't that just ridiculous?  Many experts agree that masks don't do much outdoors yet the CDC is holding back on making a call.  Rationally, it never made much of any sense to wear a mask outdoors, unless one is close to others.  The CDC won't even confirm that.  And FWIW, I do wear one when required, but I've yet worn one outside when I take my walks.  I respect my distance from others, but wearing a mask is pretty extreme.. especially when one considers what little impact it would have. outdoors.

• Like 6

On 4/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, voljeep said:

15 days ... until final payments start coming due on those July cruises ( didn't you go ahead and pay?)

what will Princess do ?

1) extend the due date again ? 45 days ... 30 days ?

2) let cruisers make final as currently scheduled ?

3) Pause # ____

next 2 weeks are crucial if those cruises are going to happen as scheduled - which I certainly hope they do 🥃 🏁

and another week has passed ... was Jan's "100 days" announcement a cryptic message about US sailings ?

Looking at the recent events, really cannot see any cruises leaving from U.S. ports until the Fall.  In addition, will see the CDC try to prevent travelers from cruising through the Caribbean on ships based in island ports this summer.

Certainly events may change, but will not count on it. 

3 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Looking at the recent events, really cannot see any cruises leaving from U.S. ports until the Fall.  In addition, will see the CDC try to prevent travelers from cruising through the Caribbean on ships based in island ports this summer.

I can't see what the CDC could possibly do to prevent the Caribbean based sailings from happening.  The most they can do would be to prevent Puerto Rico and St. Thomas from participating.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I missed the point where anyone was silenced in that article. You made it sound (or perhaps I misinterpreted) like the CDC made some recommendations to the Biden Administration to ease restrictions, and the administration then quashed it. Your article didn't say anything remotely like that.

The article just said some outside experts feel mask restrictions could be lifted outdoors, and the CDC is considering the idea.

10 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

That would be way out of their jurisdiction. 😡😱

3 hours ago, downsmead said:

I thought the 100 days was a reference to the time when the U.K. sailings started

You are correct. Specifially refering to a Regal Princess cruise around the UK.

On 4/19/2021 at 8:50 PM, abbydancer said:

We're on the Emerald Princess on 7/3/21 RT Seattle.  The chance of that happening is slightly less than 0, but they haven't cancelled it yet.  My mom's paying for this, so we haven't made final payment yet, since it's on a 60 day final.  We have a rebook date in mind, but we'd really like Princess to cancel it so we could get the 10% bump in our deposit.

We’re booked on it, too.  I agree that the chance of it happening is slightly less than 0, and really hope they cancel before the May 4th final payment due date.  We won’t be getting any additional credit because all the money we have on the cruise so far is credit from a previously cancelled cruise, but I don’t want to be the one to do the canceling! 😄

And just to add to the fun on the rebook, I've now seen on other threads that the cruise we're moving it to went poof.  Apparently instead of the Emerald doing the 2022 RT Seattle, it will be the Crown.  No biggie, because other than Share vs Sabattini's they're identical, but because they're moving everyone already booked to the Crown, it won't be bookable until the moves are done, expected by mid May.  

Our plan, is that if we end up doing final, we'll get refunds for my mom's room, and my sister's room and FCC for ours.  We want the 10% bonus, and we'll use it.

11 hours ago, abbydancer said:

I can't see what the CDC could possibly do to prevent the Caribbean based sailings from happening.  The most they can do would be to prevent Puerto Rico and St. Thomas from participating.

By declaring the countries involved as being at a level-4 alert, it could make most travel and health insurance not valid for travel on those cruises.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jeeper2 said:

We’re booked on it, too.  I agree that the chance of it happening is slightly less than 0, and really hope they cancel before the May 4th final payment due date.  We won’t be getting any additional credit because all the money we have on the cruise so far is credit from a previously cancelled cruise, but I don’t want to be the one to do the canceling! 😄

We are booked on 21/8 to Alaska and just had to make our final payment over the weekend. We are fully expecting the cruise to be cancelled as we are currently holding out for this as we are now really wanting out cash back rather than taking more cruise credits. Just wish Princess would make a decision.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, abbydancer said:

They have put out a travel advisory against travelling to the islands such as Nassau in which some of the cruise ships may leave.  Could make it rather difficult when one returns to the country, and I do believe that they have the power, with the consent of the President to suspend travel to countries in question completely. . 

11 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I missed the point where anyone was silenced in that article. You made it sound (or perhaps I misinterpreted) like the CDC made some recommendations to the Biden Administration to ease restrictions, and the administration then quashed it. Your article didn't say anything remotely like that.

The article just said some outside experts feel mask restrictions could be lifted outdoors, and the CDC is considering the idea.

The Director of the CDC has made some recommendations when interviewed only to be countermanded by the President and his staff.  This has included conditions on returning to schools, and most recently wearing of face masks outdoors.

In one of  his many appearances Fauci has now given the impression that another change is in the works, and wearing of face masks outdoors where they is no crowding may be permitted.

Most of this decision making is done, behind closed doors.  In addition, Google in respect to its search engine is not at all eager to make it easy to find these comments, but they were indeed said and heard in interviews.

• Like 2

People were asking for my update... I made final payment on my July 5 Ruby cruise today. I thought for sure we'd have word before final payment as to whether or not this cruise will take place. Sigh... Still hoping that it does!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helenb said:

People were asking for my update... I made final payment on my July 5 Ruby cruise today. I thought for sure we'd have word before final payment as to whether or not this cruise will take place. Sigh... Still hoping that it does!

We made our payment for July 3 on the Emerald.  Pretty sure it won't sail.  The biggest question now is will the refunds my mom wants for 2 of our 3 rooms hit the credit card before it's due, and will we still get a bonus fcc when we don't cancel our room.

• Thanks 1