Christmas Market Cruises

2017newcruiser

22 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Nobody is arguing about the length of the trip. But finding out on day 2 that river cruising isn't for you (and it isn't for everyone) leaves you a lot of time to not enjoy yourself.

Yes, but presumably you weren't on a small cruise boat the whole time. If you found yourself somewhere that you didn't enjoy you would have just picked up and gone somewhere else.

A 7 day cruise can easily be a 3 week trip or more.

We are doing a pre-stay in Amsterdam, and since we may be bringing along relatives who live in Munich, we might go home with them for a bit afterwards.  But we are not really worried about the cruise itself...we have a 30’ boat that we do extended vacations on, and the longships are all way bigger than that.  If the hubby and I haven’t killed each other after a month in those cramped quarters, we aren’t likely to find a river cruise longship too small.

8 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Yes, but presumably you weren't on a small cruise boat the whole time. If you found yourself somewhere that you didn't enjoy you would have just picked up and gone somewhere else.

It was a high school trip and I had no choice to go elsewhere. It was very structured.

I think the 14 day trip gives someone a great over-view. There are a ton of port days. A friend did this as her same itinerary as her first river cruise.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bookbabe said:

We are doing a pre-stay in Amsterdam, and since we may be bringing along relatives who live in Munich, we might go home with them for a bit afterwards.  But we are not really worried about the cruise itself...we have a 30’ boat that we do extended vacations on, and the longships are all way bigger than that.  If the hubby and I haven’t killed each other after a month in those cramped quarters, we aren’t likely to find a river cruise longship too small.

its the other 196 pax you have to worry about. All the ships are the same size no matter what line - Viking has the most pax on their ships compared to others.  Crystal has 106 by comparison

• Haha 1

Listen, I appreciate all the advice, but I don’t want to derail the thread, so maybe we can get back to the topic of Christmas markets?

Has anyone done the Viking Grand European (or that same route, Amsterdam to Budapest) during the Christmas Markets season?  Best markets along that route?  Best shopping/food?

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Each market is unique.  Amsterdam really doesn't have any markets that we found.  Plan to take a canal ride in the evening.  There are lighted displays all along the route.

Best advice about shopping the markets.  Use cash and if you see something buy it.  Just might not find it anyplace else.  One of my favorites are the prune people in Nuremberg.  Have one from our first of four market cruises. They are only found at that market.

Mainz had the most remarkable mushroom stroganoff and of course the sausages and gingerbread cookies.

Vienna and Budapest have multiple markets and public transport is easy.

Our ocean cruise for Sept. was cancelled AGAIN, so we are doing a land trip to the markets in Berlin and Dresden. we have made 4 Christmas market cruises and now want to stay put in one place for about 6 days.

Many of us have our favorite trip, but the Christmas markets are magical.  Enjoy. Pat

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bookbabe said:

I’ve done a fair bit of research, thanks, and watched probably twenty or thirty different videos on everything from the styles of each line, ship and cabin walkthroughs, ports, differences between ocean and river cruises.  I’m a retired high school librarian, so you could say detailed research is my forte.

We will also likely be booking a last minute shorter Viking river cruise at some point before that Christmas markets one, we’re just waiting until our borders reopen and we know we can travel again before we pick dates.  And I don’t have to make final payment until June 2023, so we’ve got lots of time to change our mind if needed.

My guess I that no one has done that 14 day cruise so you may not get many answers.  This board seems to be small in relation to most ocean cruises.  You have a lot of posts so I am guessing that you are ex experienced ocean cruiser

we did Xmas last year (Danube) and each town is different but the same daily experience.  Since the ship docks in town (generally) and there is an included excursion most people do that in the morning.  Some go back to the ship or stay in town (depends on the distance back - walkable?) The markets themselves are lunch/snacks as they are the social activity of the day - and there are tons of kiosks at each city.  Later in the day the markets become more busy and the lights come on as it get dark early - very pretty.  By then it is time to reboard. 

My only comment is Vienna for touring.  You should try to get to Schonbrunn or The Hofburg.  One or the other is fine.  Schonbrunn has a very nice market - upscale but is a bus ride.  Maybe one of your tours is that

AMS isn't a big xmas town but still fun.  Made to wander through although there are cultural attractions.  take the train from the airport to the Central Station and stay nearby that station since the cruises leave from that station. A popular site is Anne Frank's house so you have to reserve tix way ahead of time to get in

you probably have to slog your way through the Cruise river ports to see more detail of each port

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bookbabe said:

Listen, I appreciate all the advice, but I don’t want to derail the thread, so maybe we can get back to the topic of Christmas markets?

Has anyone done the Viking Grand European (or that same route, Amsterdam to Budapest) during the Christmas Markets season?  Best markets along that route?  Best shopping/food?

Thanks.

and just from personal experience

shopping is almost completely the markets themselves as it is all high quality, not the kitsch that you would see in US markets .  There are department stores (Kaufhaus) but it is stuff you would find everywhere

Cologne   Try a bar that serves their local beer - Kolsch.  Thats what they serve everywhere and I wouldn't take a beer excursion - you can do that on your own .  The Fruh is popular although a tad touristy.  A few bars in Altstadt are the same and more local.  Max Stark is a restaurant near the ship to try - look it up on Yelp.  Big market here in Koln. 

Melk - go to the abbey.  very beautiful

Budapest.  Grand Market- 4 stories of food and smaller souvenirs.  Parliament Building is a good tour with some remnants of Communist govt. A grittier (doesnt mean dirty) version of Vienna although interesting 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pacmom said:

Best advice about shopping the markets.  Use cash and if you see something buy it.  Just might not find it anyplace else.

Cash, definitely have some ready as not all will have the facilities for credit cards, and then if they do, it is sometimes EC card only. I agree that it is good to buy what you like spontaneously as it is unlikely to be at another market. Unless it is typical food. I tend to buy French crepes, just like them. More traditional is Krebbelcher also known as Reibekuchen, they are potato cakes, deep fried, served with apple compote (Apfelmus) or Preiselbeeren (they are similar to cranberries). Cologne has a variety of Christmas markets, the one just behind the Dom is great but also very popular, i.e. full. It is worth spending some time to see if another one is more to your liking. When the time comes, look here: https://www.cologne.de/events/christmas-markets

If you are in Frankfurt you will I am sure enjoy the Christmas market at the Römer. They say the Main river is lovely for the markets, but I have not been yet apart from at the Römer. I do not recall having seen specialities there, too long ago. Frankfurt is of course famous for apple wine.

In all German towns you will find gingerbread and Christmas biscuits, in Nuremberg the real Nürnberger Lebkuchen are a great gift to bring home.

I hope Viking stays long in town as the markets are certainly best after 4pm.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

We'll also be doing the Viking Grand European (Amsterdam to Budapest) Nov 14 - 28.

Is that too early for the Christmas Markets season? 

Or does anyone know when/how early they open...?

Thanks,

I did Nov 20th - Nov 30th RT Vienna. I caught half of them open by November 20th in Vienna and all were open at the end of November. Austrian markets seemed to open before German ones did. I think you will be fine for Budapest. In Germany - we were always one day behind in several ports (Regensburg, Munich, etc..). We were also behind in Cesky Krumlov by a day. We caught most of the Austrian ones (Salzburg, Lake District, Vienna, etc..). You can literally google a port and Christmas Markets and get the dates and compare them to your itinerary. Just realize - there are probably more than a dozen in Vienna and they open up at different times. 

The food was amazing at the Christmas Markets.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is great information, but it makes me a little sad!  When news of vaccines came out last December we booked a Danube Christmas market cruise through Tauck for December 2021.  Now I’m not sure that cruise will happen and I would expect that by the time we know about December 2021, December 2022 will be sold out. We are all vaccinated and prepared to travel but Germany seems to be lagging a bit.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

3 minutes ago, CLT_Deac said:

This is great information, but it makes me a little sad!  When news of vaccines came out last December we booked a Danube Christmas market cruise through Tauck for December 2021.  Now I’m not sure that cruise will happen and I would expect that by the time we know about December 2021, December 2022 will be sold out. We are all vaccinated and prepared to travel but Germany seems to be lagging a bit.  Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Chances of river cruising later this year looks good:

E.U. Set to Let Vaccinated U.S. Tourists Visit This Summer

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/25/world/europe/american-travel-to-europe.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pacmom said:

Each market is unique.  Amsterdam really doesn't have any markets that we found.  Plan to take a canal ride in the evening.  There are lighted displays all along the route.

Best advice about shopping the markets.  Use cash and if you see something buy it.  Just might not find it anyplace else.  One of my favorites are the prune people in Nuremberg.  Have one from our first of four market cruises. They are only found at that market.

Mainz had the most remarkable mushroom stroganoff and of course the sausages and gingerbread cookies.

Vienna and Budapest have multiple markets and public transport is easy.

Our ocean cruise for Sept. was cancelled AGAIN, so we are doing a land trip to the markets in Berlin and Dresden. we have made 4 Christmas market cruises and now want to stay put in one place for about 6 days.

Many of us have our favorite trip, but the Christmas markets are magical.  Enjoy. Pat

Both Berlin and Dresden are great loved Dresden!  We saw the Nutcracker in Berlin.  If you get a change to see Seiffen (an hour or so from Dresden) go!! The markets in Seiffen are not much but the shops and work shops are.  Or last trip before Covid started in Prague then Seiffen and finished in Leipzig.

Second seating

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CLT_Deac said:

We are all vaccinated and prepared to travel but Germany seems to be lagging a bit.

The EU as a whole was lagging a bit, due to supply issues. Do not worry, we are catching up fast!

notamermaid

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, NavyCruiser said:

We'll also be doing the Viking Grand European (Amsterdam to Budapest) Nov 14 - 28.

Is that too early for the Christmas Markets season? 

Or does anyone know when/how early they open...?

Thanks,

An easy rule of thumb for us in the US, the markets will open up generally the Friday after Thanksgiving. I don't know if this is for every market but it hasn't failed me yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sturmin said:

An easy rule of thumb for us in the US, the markets will open up generally the Friday after Thanksgiving. I don't know if this is for every market but it hasn't failed me yet. 

Cool.

But not sure if they celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe, esp England.... 😃

8 hours ago, Sturmin said:

We visited several that opened up before then. It depends on the area.

Budapest opens pretty early - around November 6th or so depending on the area. Several in Vienna were open before Thanksgiving.

Germany seems to be more traditional and open later.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Cool.

But not sure if they celebrate Thanksgiving in Europe, esp England.... 😃

It was funny - we were in Salzburg around Black Friday and they were trying to have specials like the US. Some called it "Friday Black"..... We kept seeing signs like that. Our ship did have turkey on the menu for us Americans on Thanksgiving.

• Like 1

Thanksgiving as you celebrate it in the US does not exist in Europe as far as I know. In Germany for example there is Erntedankfest for, basically, giving thanks for Autumn harvest, but it is on a much earlier date and a very different style.

As a date for Christmas markets opening I prefer to say that they open just before Sunday of the Dead or on the Monday after it. Then you are on the safe side. Earlier openings are not traditional as regards the Christian tradition, but happen more and more often, especially in tourist cities. Germany more closely follows the tradition than some other countries.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, sharkster77 said:

And then we have our Canadian friends who celebrate Thanksgiving in mid-October, on the date the US observes Columbus Day (or Indigeneous Peoples Day---the legacy of Columbus is controversial).  

We Canadians have nothing to be thankful for near the end of November; we give thanks when the weather is better and the harvest season is on. 😀

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1