Malaga ready to start cruising

Responsible resumption of cruising continues across the globe, as Malaga prepares to welcome cruise ships following approval of strict protocols by the regional government of Andalusia, designed for safe operation for passengers and citizens. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/port-malaga-prepares-cruising-andalusia-gives-green-light

Possible home for Harmony??

Edited by little britain
  • Like 5

• little britain changed the title to Malaga ready to start cruising
2 minutes ago, little britain said:

Possible home for Harmony??

Somehow doubt folks will be rushing to book flights to Malaga.

People are hesitant to fly to/from Nassau as it is.  Maybe it would draw some from Europe but I can't imagine these non-US ports being revenue generators.  

For RCCL to truly return, they will need the U.S. ports to open.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

People are hesitant to fly to/from Nassau as it is.  Maybe it would draw some from Europe but I can't imagine these non-US ports being revenue generators.  

I think the idea is that cruise lines are welcome to start sailing from Malaga vs Barcelona (the normal homeport).  in addition to being an option for port calls.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Lots of Brits live on the Costa del Sol, which is where Malaga is located. I could see some of them wanting to do a cruise.

Málaga is a fine City and a good place to start a cruise if you live in the UK. A few ports of call would be nice. About a dozen ships preparing to cruise UK waters. Southampton to Málaga and return with a stop in Gibraltar,?. Things are looking up.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Is RCCL allowed to sail from U.S. Ports?  Inquiring minds?

Hi LB!  Are we ever going to cruise together.  I like Malaga, been there on land and by sea.  

• Like 1

I sailed on Adventure OTS once from Malaga some years back and would totally prefer it over Barcelona simply because it's in driving distance. Would  be more than happy to board our Harmony cruise in September in Malaga!  Just need the Portuguese and Spanish governments to reopen the land border.

3 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Is RCCL allowed to sail from U.S. Ports?  Inquiring minds?

Hi LB!  Are we ever going to cruise together.  I like Malaga, been there on land and by sea.  

Malaga was our only stop on the Allure TA last year. Awesome place

• Like 2

Several enhancements to the Malaga port have been approved during the pandemic and the first full size autonomous bus route in Europe is now being tested with 8 daily runs from the port into Malaga city. 

http://www.surinenglish.com/local/202102/17/video-first-driver-less-20210217183402.html

The Qatari Al Alfia group (Qatari Royal Family)  has finalized and gained approval for a 5 star hotel tower to be built right across from the Cruise Terminal. This will most likely be an American branded hotel opening in 2023. Hilton will open a Conrad property on the coast that same year. 

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/2021/02/17/mayor-of-malaga-praises-the-design-proposed-port-skyscraper-hotel/

Marbella will see Hyatt, W Hotels and Four Seasons openings in 2022.  

I have sailed mainly with NCL out of Malaga and the embarkation was among the best I have had anywhere in the world with a fully automated modern terminal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

It isn’t only Americans who cruise you know....

If non US cruises are not revenue generators why is every line basing ships in Southampton, Athens, Limassol and Haifa this summer?  
Any revenue is better than no revenue. 

RCI has had a season a few years ago with a ship homeported in Malaga. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, little britain said:

It isn’t only Americans who cruise you know....

If non US cruises are not revenue generators why is every line basing ships in Southampton, Athens, Limassol and Haifa this summer?  
Any revenue is better than no revenue. 

RCI has had a season a few years ago with a ship homeported in Malaga. 

Exactly  correct.

Malaga I’m sure would do fantastically well as a home port is a great city to visit right on the Costa Del Sol with thousands of ex pats living there plus an easy two hour flight from the UK.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Actually it´s not just Malaga preparing for cruising. Barcelona is preparing as well for late June. Cruises will be restricted to Spanish ports only. So an itinerary Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - seadays - Malaga - seadays - Barcelona might be a possible option.

steamboats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

Actually it´s not just Malaga preparing for cruising. Barcelona is preparing as well for late June. Cruises will be restricted to Spanish ports only. So an itinerary Barcelona - Palma de Mallorca - seadays - Malaga - seadays - Barcelona might be a possible option.

steamboats

Two other Spanish ports that could conceivably be in the mix for a Spain only cruise would be Cartagena and Valencia. Both are on Allure's TA itinerary next spring; I just don't know if they're already capable of having an Oasis class ship or if that's being worked on in time for next spring.

• Like 1

Malaga is a great port, we sailed from there on Navigator and Adventure over 10 years ago with mostly British and Spanish fellow passengers. Very easy to get to as most UK regional airports have direct flights, I remember we were able to fly from Exeter which is unheard of for us for a cruise! 

I'd love RCL to base a ship there again.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kernow said:

Malaga is a great port, we sailed from there on Navigator and Adventure over 10 years ago with mostly British and Spanish fellow passengers. Very easy to get to as most UK regional airports have direct flights

We agree! We like you have just been to Malaga a few times but we felt so at home there and were treated so well by the locals that we strongly considered making it our home!

7 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Malaga was our only stop on the Allure TA last year. Awesome place

I agree,Malaga is a lovely place and a previous home port of Adventure of the seas.

We have sailed a few times from Malaga and our favourite hotel where we have stayed 14 times is only 20 minutes from the port.

43 minutes ago, kernow said:

Malaga is a great port, we sailed from there on Navigator and Adventure over 10 years ago with mostly British and Spanish fellow passengers. Very easy to get to as most UK regional airports have direct flights, I remember we were able to fly from Exeter which is unheard of for us for a cruise! 

Absolutely agree.

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Barcelona is better equiped to handle a ship of Harmony's size. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FionaMG said:

Two other Spanish ports that could conceivably be in the mix for a Spain only cruise would be Cartagena and Valencia. Both are on Allure's TA itinerary next spring; I just don't know if they're already capable of having an Oasis class ship or if that's being worked on in time for next spring.

We docked on the Symphony of the Seas in late October 2018.

• Like 1

Guest BigRoger

All sounds potentially very positive for a possible Harmony start in June onwards... and maybe even the Harmony TA to USA???.... has anyone heard anything about opening of port of m Civitavecchia? Might mean those of us booked from Italy on Harmony have to somehow jump across to become embarking in Barcelona..... I wonder if it might be covered at the forthcoming ‘cafe royal’ session.... the question has been asked but then again we’ve asked lots of questions in advance before which RC chose not to answer!

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Barcelona is better equiped to handle a ship of Harmony's size. 

Yes ... when we were at our final desion on where to move to in Europe we finally went to Venice, Barcelona or Athens ... we wound up in Athens to some minor personal reasons ... Barsalona is Amazing! 😇

• Like 1

Barcelona definitely has the better port facilities regarding the cruise terminal and supply chains. So Barcelona is the better turn around port.

Malaga nevertheless is a great port for a port stop. But the terminal building might not be able to handle a turn around for an Oasis Class ship.

Valencia and Cartagena are also "smaller" ports regarding the turn around. They are both great for a port stop.

Palma de Mallorca has a pretty new terminal building at the place where all Oasis class ships dock. But it´s also not designed for a turn around of a ship of this size. Port stop would be no problem.

steamboats

19 hours ago, FionaMG said:

I sailed on Adventure OTS once from Malaga some years back and would totally prefer it over Barcelona simply because it's in driving distance. Would  be more than happy to board our Harmony cruise in September in Malaga!  Just need the Portuguese and Spanish governments to reopen the land border.

We have a cruise in October and if not leaving from Barcelona why not consider Lisbon departure? Perfect for us not matter what other ports visiting or not...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kernow said:

There is a big airport where you live. If they can get a few passengers, Ryan air would do a Newquay to Malaga. A drive down to Watergate bay, a few nights in the hotel and then off to Malaga. Sounds good for us.😂