Cruising Without a Vaccination

35 minutes ago, grandpalarry777 said:

Does anyone know if a person who cannot take the Covid vaccine due to health conditions can get an exemption from the "vaccinated only" cruise rules if they have a negative test?

while i dont want to inquire as to your actual health reasons (since of course they are none of my business)with 3 different types of vaccines, can you really not take any of them? 

i dont think ncl will allow you on board without proof of a vaccinations.  

even if you have a negative covid test, it would have to be close to your departure date.

in any event, good luck, i sincerely hope you are able to cruise as soonas possible

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Not on NCL.  I'm not sure about other cruise lines.

That may change in the future, as the world enters a period with more stable herd immunity, but we're not there yet.

Spoke to our cruise consultant recently.  At this time you must be vaccinated to cruise NCL.  It is a complicated issue because there truly are some who cannot get vaccinated (i.e. dear friend took first vaccine and ended up in the emergency room from a severe reaction and doc advised against getting the second).  I do think the restrictions will change in the future, but requiring vaccines initially when cruising begins again is the right thing for the safety of the majority IMO.  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

Too many anti-vaxxers will lie and say they can’t take the vaccine due to medical reasons. Sorry but these people should not be let on board truth or not . They should vacation elsewhere on land. 

Totally agree with only allowing vaccinated passengers and crew. Why jeopardize the health of others and also having the cruise lines shut down again. Everything needs to be done to keep all safe. 

• Like 18

Too many anti-vaxxers will lie and say they can’t take the vaccine due to medical reasons. Sorry but these people should not be let on board truth or not . They should vacation elsewhere on land. 

Agreed, and it will be difficult enough to weed out the members of that crowd that have decided to acquire the cards but not actually get the shots...

• Like 6

As others have said, the answer for now is no.  However, we are still way too early in this maze of plans as to how cruises will resume.  I would think that about a year from now, if we are cruising by then, cruises will be returning to a much more normal situation and herd immunity by then might let the vaccination requirement be dropped.....opinion only.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hallux said:

Agreed, and it will be difficult enough to weed out the members of that crowd that have decided to acquire the cards but not actually get the shots...

i am pretty sure you will need electronic confirmation. all of these vaccines are entered into health databases.  in fact everyone i know, there shot dose,serial #, date and adminster's name is on apple health in the app.

• Like 4

The only contraindication to a COVID-19 vaccine is a serious, life-threatening reaction to a previous dose of that vaccine or a component of the vaccine. 

If one has such a response to an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer or Moderna), they can receive a JJ vaccine in lieu of their second dose of the mRNA vaccine. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/specific-groups/allergies.html

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, grandpalarry777 said:

Does anyone know if a person who cannot take the Covid vaccine due to health conditions can get an exemption from the "vaccinated only" cruise rules if they have a negative test?

Perhaps count yourself lucky? When you have other medical people whose concerns about these vaccines in terms of side effects, are censored and reprimanded for speaking out, it makes sense to me to wonder why that is so. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

MSC in Europe is allowing unvaccinated passengers.  So far, they have just been allowing Europeans to sail on their ships but that may change with the EU opening up.

Italian Nationals going around Italy, it’s a stale mate

8 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

When you have other medical people whose concerns about these vaccines in terms of side effects, are censored and reprimanded for speaking out, it makes sense to me to wonder why that is so. 

Easy: it’s because these “concerns” are not based in science. Hunches, feelings, and anecdotes do not make hypotheses statistically significant, science does. It there was actual data that required investigation (ie, 1 in a million blood clots in younger women from the J&J vaccine), public health authorities have demonstrated a willingness to look at the data and make informed decisions. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Perhaps count yourself lucky? When you have other medical people whose concerns about these vaccines in terms of side effects, are censored and reprimanded for speaking out, it makes sense to me to wonder why that is so. 

Show us a medication that doesn’t have side effects listed. Give a billion people any medication or even a vaccine in a short period of time and I guarantee there will be side effects or even death. That would happen even with Tylenol ... so yeah ...... Nothing to see here. 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, ericfromri said:

i am pretty sure you will need electronic confirmation. all of these vaccines are entered into health databases.  in fact everyone i know, there shot dose,serial #, date and adminster's name is on apple health in the app.

I agree totally. When you get the shots they are listed on your medical record(your Dr. can see you got the shot)  and with your insurance co.  It will be no problem to make sure you have had the shots.  A fake card will not work

• Like 6

10 hours ago, grandpalarry777 said:

For now, over the next year, two, three.... Most likely that will be a hard no. It won't matter what the excuse is. You might want to look at other vacation ideas

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, cruisingrandy said:

I agree totally. When you get the shots they are listed on your medical record(your Dr. can see you got the shot)  and with your insurance co.  It will be no problem to make sure you have had the shots.  A fake card will not work

A centralized medical record may exist where you live and using your medical providers, but that is not a universal construct here in the USA.  I live in a rural area with a small, independent hospital with it's own medical records system.  Any treatment I get with that hospital or it's employees is stored in their system.  But anything I get done at a different hospital system (in the larger cities 45 or 90 miles away) are not in that same system.  My vaccination was done by an independent pharmacy chain.  They did not do anything to put my vaccination into the local hospital's record system.  I had a visit with my Doctor a month after my 2nd vaccination and he told me there was no record of it in the medical records.  Yes, it is my insurance company's records.  Yes, it is in the pharmacies records.  But the medical professionals do not have access to that data.

It is possible the pharmacy also had to enter my data into a government vaccine tracking database, but I haven't seen proof of that anywhere.  If it exists, I would think it's at the state level and not federal.

However, I hope they have a way to catch fake cards.  I condemn those that try to do this.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

MSC in Europe is allowing unvaccinated passengers.  So far, they have just been allowing Europeans to sail on their ships but that may change with the EU opening up.

Other EU residents have been sailing on the Grandiosa.  They are also sailing around Great Britain for British Nationals at first.  However, with the EU opening up, there is a good chance they will expand their offering to Americans.

43 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

However, I hope they have a way to catch fake cards.  I condemn those that try to do this.

I would like to see a super stiff fine or worse for using a fake card.  I also think the cruise industry should permanently ban anyone who attempts to pass a fake vaccine card.

Steve

It takes a village but every village has an idiot

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I would like to see a super stiff fine or worse for using a fake card.  I also think the cruise industry should permanently ban anyone who attempts to pass a fake vaccine card.

Steve

It takes a village but every village has an idiot

A nice little prison sentence to go along with that.  Fake vaccine cards are a felony under US law.  

This I just love: "It takes a village but every village has an idiot." Lol!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Crazy planning mom said:

NCL has been the first to say only COVID vaccinated crew and passengers will be allowed on board, regardless of the geographic region anyone hails from or where their ships originate and dock to/from.  MSC is a different company!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ericfromri said:

There's an electronic record of anyone who has had the vaccine(s) with your name, date of vaccination(s), place of administration, and the person who administered it.  My CDC card actually has a dose and batch number also.  I'm sure the CDC has an electronic record.  It would not surprise me if as part of the relaxed CDC restrictions, that they make those electronic records available for U.S. based passengers.

For crew, it may be easier.  I know some crew are actually being vaccinated by the cruise lines' contract entities.

• Like 4

Show us a medication that doesn’t have side effects listed. Give a billion people any medication or even a vaccine in a short period of time and I guarantee there will be side effects or even death. That would happen even with Tylenol ... so yeah ...... Nothing to see here. 

Got it. You see no problem or concerns with injecting 7 billion plus with vaccines with which, I repeat, side effects are as of yet unknown. And you have no problem with dissenting views being censored. I believe in informed consent not coercion.

By the way I'm still waiting for public health to promote interventions for good health to enhance our immune systems as much as possible. Still waiting for public health to educate people to have pulse oximeters on hand. Perhaps you think there's nothing to see in that respect as well? All people are hearing on mainstream is..people are sick and dying...get your vaccine so life can get back to normal. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

There's an electronic record of anyone who has had the vaccine(s) with your name, date of vaccination(s), place of administration, and the person who administered it.  My CDC card actually has a dose and batch number also.  I'm sure the CDC has an electronic record.  It would not surprise me if as part of the relaxed CDC restrictions, that they make those electronic records available for U.S. based passengers.

For crew, it may be easier.  I know some crew are actually being vaccinated by the cruise lines' contract entities.

that's what i said

• Like 1