Questions About Select Dining

lifeisrealygood

We have been on many Celebrity cruises, but have always had traditional dining.  On our next cruise, we are trying "select" for the first time.  This would give us the opportunity to meet other guests during dinner.  We still would like to eat between six and seven, probably a busy time for Select diners.  Is it possible to reserve a set time for "select" dining, but still eat with other people each evening?  If you can make reservations beforehand, can they be done pre-cruise or reserving for futures nights while already on-board?

Any comments would be appreciated.  Again, we do not need to sit with the same people or have the same servers each evening, which is what traditional has done for us in the past.  We just would like to make sure we can get seated rather quickly, and not be given a pager to wait for 45 minutes or so.  

• Like 1

Yes, you can select a time, but there still might be a small queue.  We found that they often asked if we wanted a table for two or if we wanted to eat with others.  It is some time since we did Select Dining as most of our latest cruises have been in Aqua class and therefore in the Blu dining room.  Because we ate early, I think we had less wait time.

You can make reservations in the Cruise Planner for select dining and I would recommend that for st least the first night or 2 when things are a little more chaotic. 

when you arrive for dinner you can tell the hostess you would be open to dining with others.  The benefit of select over traditional is you have more flexibility in when you want to dine and if you don’t “click” with those you are seated with no problem the next night dine with just your partner or go a bit earlier or later and get seated with different folks.

• Like 1

okay, I see when I call up my reservation I can make reservations for each day for whatever time I like.  Let's assume that I make a reservation each day, but for the same time.  Would I still probably get a different table with different servers each night, or will they just set us up like traditional dining? 

Does anyone have experience with this exact scenario?  

We have done Select dining for our last 5-6 cruises. 
Because I am Dairy Intolerant, we have always been seated at a table for 2, with the same Servers, who get to know my needs. It’s in the same area, but not always at the same table, but the tables are very close together, so conversation is possible. However, on the first night, we have often been seated at a table of 8.

Post COVID-19 who knows how the table set up will be?

2 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

okay, I see when I call up my reservation I can make reservations for each day for whatever time I like.  Let's assume that I make a reservation each day, but for the same time.  Would I still probably get a different table with different servers each night, or will they just set us up like traditional dining? 

My wife and I would book a table for the following night when we check in to dine. We liked to eat at about 6.30 and were happy to share a table. Sometimes it would be the same table, usually an eight top but not always. A surprise was that we often sat with the same people who also liked to dine at 6.30 and were able to carry on threads of conversation from the previous night/s.

We always book Select Dining on line for every night of the cruise at the same time ( 7:30 ) and show up on time.   Never had to wait more than a few minutes.

We request a table for two " just in case " - if you know what I mean ?? The tables are close together , so, chatting usually happens. 

When we leave ( after dinner on the first night) the Hostess asks if we would like to sit in the same area with the same wait staff--- Never had a complaint, so always said " Yes ".

Very important --- When we are going to a Specialty restaurant the following night , we always notify the Hostess as a courtesy to her and the other passengers .

Works very good for us. 

" Try it--- You'll  like it "

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lifeisrealygood said:

We are choose Select and always choose 7:00 for a dining time. With regard to your question, the Maitre D will TRY to put you at the same table and servers if that's what you want and ask for it, but it's not always possible since that's dependant on the previous diners vacating the table at exactly the same times each night.  

• Thanks 1

We eat early, 6 or so and book reservations on-line for the first couple of nights. If we find a table and wait staff we like, we ask the hostess to reserve that table for us each night. We sit at a table for two, but as someone said, the tables are close together so if you find someone interesting to talk to at a table next to you, easy to do or not.

• Thanks 1