Crew Vaccinations starting in FL

Crzn-Life

I've read that those with money in India can find vaccines so getting money to crew from India helps their families (also feeds them)

@dogyou will open soon too

@caribillI agree, just get shots in arms. Its kind of like my mom would say "eat your ----, there's starving kids in India" like my plate of ---- can get there. 3500 extra doses in Concord / Galveston  / Port Canaveral won't help Brazil or India.  $s to those crew members will. 60m doses of AstraZeneca will and that's what's on its way

@Roberto256we cannot / should not dictate vaccination priorities in other countries. India has stated that they are not currently set up to vaccinate their poor so those who can pay (family working in other countries? Maybe even on ships?) will be 1st to get it. If they can stay covid free

@mjmalino👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I've read that those with money in India can find vaccines so getting money to crew from India helps their families (also feeds them)

@dogyou will open soon too

@caribillI agree, just get shots in arms. Its kind of like my mom would say "eat your ----, there's starving kids in India" like my plate of ---- can get there. 3500 extra doses in Concord / Galveston  / Port Canaveral won't help Brazil or India.  $s to those crew members will. 60m doses of AstraZeneca will and that's what's on its way

@Roberto256we cannot / should not dictate vaccination priorities in other countries. India has stated that they are not currently set up to vaccinate their poor so those who can pay (family working in other countries? Maybe even on ships?) will be 1st to get it. If they can stay covid free

@mjmalino👍

Personally, I find it sad on so many levels that the poor of India, or any country for that matter, are not able to pay the approx $3.00 fee for a life-saving vaccine.

9 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Personally, I find it sad on so many levels that the poor of India, or any country for that matter, are not able to pay the approx $3.00 fee for a life-saving vaccine.

Agreed. Medical insurance is basically free here (both grandsons pay $1.00 a month). It's also sad that food insufficiency exists. And last March when everyone (Son, dtr, son-in-law, grandson) was laid off & unable to get on UIB we received a valuable lesson. Roll up sleeves, plant garden, appreciate eggs but there isn't good dirt everywhere 

But back to good news: As crews are vaccinated & more are brought onboard they earn $$s which enables them to send money home for their extended families to buy food & vaccines 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dog said:

I am thinking they should wait, like we Canadians have to,  second dose comes 16 weeks after the first dose.

You think others should be delayed getting vaccinated just because our country cannot get its act together?  That delay is well beyond the science guidelines and our government is rolling the dice and hoping for the best.

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

With only 30% of the US vaccinated, I find it difficult to understand how/why we are voluntarily bringing foreigners here to be vaccinated for a non-essential industry.

From my understanding the US have reached the point where take up of the vaccine has dropped to the point where they can offer it to any adult wanting to get vaccinated. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dog said:

True, however, are they in a top priority group?  

poor planning and management in both our countries. 

by the way, Celebrity cruises has said they are paying for vaccines for crew. Fair. 

Edited so my point is not turned into something else 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 5:16 PM, Crzn-Life said:

Port Canaveral started vaccinating cruise ship crew yesterday. They were able to do that because the governor removed the requirement of FL residency for vaccine eligibility.  No Princess ships dock in Port Canaveral but hopefully Port Everglades and Miami will follow suit. It's exciting news. and hopefully is a major step toward getting cruising started again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/05/01/cruise-covid-vaccinations-port-canaveral/4905928001/

interesting

On 5/2/2021 at 8:29 AM, voljeep said:

Maybe we can take the doses that are getting ready to expire, put them on a tug, head out toward a cruise ship with crew ... then just dump them in the ocean so nobody gets the benefit of them

That will only happen if the towing company makes an appropriate campaign contribution, and

can then bill the state for each trip.

Careful on those MARPOL violations.  No plastic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GALVESTON: 1000 jabs a day to Carnival Breeze & Vista, start today

PORT CANAVERAL: Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas, started May 2nd

MIAMI: RCCL or Disney? Will do 900 a week

Edited by Ombud
Only posted that to get us back on track and off politicizing
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In an effort to highlight the enduring economic impacts from the industry’s suspension, Carnival directed two of its ships into the Port of Galveston Sunday, the company said in a release. It plans to hold a rally alongside local leaders Monday afternoon.

According to the release, the Galveston cruise business accounts for $1.6 billion in annual economic activity and employs 27,000 people in Texas.

Galveston is the fourth most popular cruise home port in North America, it said.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 3:45 AM, chengkp75 said:

With only 30% of the US vaccinated, I find it difficult to understand how/why we are voluntarily bringing foreigners here to be vaccinated for a non-essential industry.

You never fail to amaze I still ca't get a vaccine nor my 73 year old husband but they are sending them to Indda.. sorry guys cataract  forgive my mispellings can't see yoy lol

t

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2021 at 2:11 PM, seapals2 said:

From my understanding the US have reached the point where take up of the vaccine has dropped to the point where they can offer it to any adult wanting to get vaccinated. 

Not in my little area of the world yet! I am awake at 3 am old lady world nada No appointments for you Throw back to seinfielld !lol Soup ***!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Thanks 1

Come on down to my area. We have 1-2k extra doses a day in the county. More across the bay.  This morning 20yo grandson decided to go to LA next month so he walked into Bay Point this afternoon and got jabbed. Asked to return in 3 weeks. No appointment needed. Last minute decision

Waterworld had 2 car vax entrances: express appointment line & drop in. No cars in line when I drove past it on my way to Home Depot but he doesn't have a car so he had to take a free uber 10 miles away

*kids 12-15 should be approved soon!!!!

Edited by Ombud
* added
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, caribill said:
In an effort to highlight the enduring economic impacts from the industry’s suspension, Carnival directed two of its ships into the Port of Galveston Sunday, the company said in a release. It plans to hold a rally alongside local leaders Monday afternoon.

GALVESTON, Texas, May 3, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- In a unified showing of support to encourage the resumption of cruising in the U.S., Carnival Cruise Line joined members of the Federal Maritime Commission, Galveston city and port officials and local businesses at the Port of Galveston to highlight the economic impact of cruising in Galveston and throughout Texas.

The Port of Galveston at the Galveston Wharves is the fourth most popular cruise homeport in North America and the only cruise port in Texas. Galveston's cruise business generates $1.6 billion in expenditures annually and 27,000 jobs statewide.

With Carnival Breeze and Carnival Vista providing a stunning backdrop, speakers described the dramatic effect that the 14-month pause in operations has had on local businesses that rely so heavily on the cruise industry.  Speakers included:  

• Carnival President Christine Duffy
  • Galveston Mayor Dr. Craig Brown
  • FMC Commissioners Louis E. Sola and Carl W. Bentzel
  • President Ad Interim UTMB Partnership Dr. Ben Raimer
  • Port of Galveston Director/CEO Rodger Rhees
  • Chairman, Board of Trustees, Port of Galveston Albert Shannon
  • International Longshoremen's Association President Alan Robb
  • Vacations2Go CEO Emerson Hankamer
  • Galveston Park Board CEO Kelly de Schaun
  • Bay Houston Towing Company President Philip Kuebler
  • Galveston Chamber of Commerce President & CEO Gina Spagnola

In addition, U.S. Senator John Cornyn also sent a video message which can be viewed here.

Underscoring the cruise line's strong desire to resume operations, crew members from Carnival Vista and Carnival Breeze received COVID-19 vaccinations on site from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston.

"Today was yet another significant milestone in our efforts to resume cruising in the U.S.," said Duffy.  "We've said all along that we would like the cruise industry be given equal treatment of other travel and hospitality companies and this event sent a strong and unified message that we need to start sailing again."

Added Galveston Mayor Dr. Brown, "Cruising is so critical to the Galveston economy and today's event clearly demonstrated our community's desire that cruising return to bring much-needed visitors and jobs back to our community.  Galveston has grown to become one of the top homeports for seagoing vacations and the time is right to resume cruising and all the wonderful benefits it brings to our city." 

Carnival Cruise Line is the number one cruise operator from Galveston and the only cruise operator with three year-round ships at the port. Carnival Vista, Carnival Breeze and Carnival Dream operate 175 voyages annually from Galveston, carrying an estimated 750,000 passengers a year.

Galveston is part of the line's close-to-home deployment strategy in which ships are deployed near large U.S. population bases, making it easy, affordable and convenient for guests to get to and from their cruise.   As America's Cruise Line, Carnival operates from 14 U.S. homeports – the most in cruising - on the East and West Coasts and Gulf of Mexico.

17 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Are non-vaccinated people limited in what they can do, like fly etc.

Not yet.  It seems like cruising / international travel may be the only activities where being vaccinated makes a difference.

• Like 2