Actual chance of Horizon sailing on 7/4?

5 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

I would not expect early July to be a go unless the May 12th case is in favor of FL. My belief is that cruise lines are gearing up for a July 17 start date based on the CDC information. Anything prior to that would be test sailings if the cruise lines choose the non-vaccination route. I don't see that happening either. In order to get around both the CDC and DeSantis, I expect the cruise lines to manage this through the honor system. Put a question up asking if they are vaccinated. That satisfies the CDC's requirement and DeSantis. The CDC is requiring 95% vaccinated and DeSantis has signed into law that they can't require it. Asking the question during online check-in satisfies both.

They will need to validate the vaccination.  There won't be just looking at a paper card.  Most likely they will check your state database when you buy the ticket.

5 hours ago, cscurlock said:

They will need to validate the vaccination.  There won't be just looking at a paper card.  Most likely they will check your state database when you buy the ticket.

I don't think the cruise lines want to deal with 50+ different databases.  I'm not sure they even can get access, even if we as passengers authorize it.  THIS is the kind of thing DeSantis & Co. are really trying to prevent, IMHO.

Don't know about Carnival yet but July looks over for NCL at least.😔

Posted by HaveWeMetYet over on the NCL board:

(Bloomberg) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Chief Executive Officer Frank Del Rio said July sailings from the U.S. are no longer possible, given the time it takes to get a ship ready to sail.

“The July U.S. launch, at least for our company, is just not possible,” Del Rio said, speaking on a quarterly call with analysts.

He didn’t give a specific timeline, but the industry generally has said that it needs 90 days to prepare a ship.

14 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't think the cruise lines want to deal with 50+ different databases.  I'm not sure they even can get access, even if we as passengers authorize it.  THIS is the kind of thing DeSantis & Co. are really trying to prevent, IMHO.

That is why cruises out of Florida will not be happening any time soon.  Other states are probably ok with the rule will move forward with infrastructure to make validation easier. Some have already created apps. 

On 5/2/2021 at 8:09 PM, stinkyenglishteacher said:

So, the Mister and I would gladly jump on this ship...if we were sure she was going. 

is it 50/50? 75/25? What do y’all think? 

I would agree with the others that give it a low chance, maybe 5-95.  Later in July may be a better chance, but August and September are better bets.  I say this not just because of the CDC and virus standpoint, but also the sheer logistics of having everything ready to cruise.

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2021 at 6:32 AM, Honolulu Blue said:

There are a few things in its favor - the Horizon will probably be one of Carnival's first ships to sail, Miami is a key port, Florida is (generally) favorable to cruising ASAP, and the CDC has recently made statements that indicate that they will be willing to help the cruise lines get started.

That said, the negatives overwhelm these positives.  I'd give it a 5% chance of sailing as scheduled, and another 10% to be rescheduled or sail as a test cruise.  So, call it either 5-95 or 15-85.

I dragged this thread from the graveyard.  Not one of my better moments.  I underestimated how fast change could come and how much the CDC would help things along.

• Like 2

I'll take predictions that didn't age well for $500 Alex.

Reminds me of ALL those people saying that the Florida injunction filing against the CDC had ZERO chance of being successful. Oddly, those people remain quiet on the topic at this point. 🙂

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Reminds me of ALL those people saying that the Florida injunction filing against the CDC had ZERO chance of being successful. Oddly, those people remain quiet on the topic at this point. 🙂

I will make another prediction. Let's see how this one fares. No Covid restrictions by February 1st, 2022.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Ain't that the truth!? They're at the bar with the ones who said all the cruise lines would be out of business by now, LOL.....

• Like 1

I had to check back to make sure I didn’t make predictions in this thread…whew, lucky me.

So a funny…wife texts me today saying we should do such&such on September 17th….I’m thinking & basically texted back…”I’ll be on the Horizon still, you be you”.  She hasn’t replied back so I hope I’m not sailing that week solo!

I wouldnt have bet carnival would axe so many kids. Though I was sure florida would be for pushing cruises, nothing else makes sense. There are still those posting that florida now will sue the cruiselines. Alex I'll take that bet.

So ready to cruise.

4 minutes ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

I had to check back to make sure I didn’t make predictions in this thread…whew, lucky me.

So a funny…wife texts me today saying we should do such&such on September 17th….I’m thinking & basically texted back…”I’ll be on the Horizon still, you be you”.  She hasn’t replied back so I hope I’m not sailing that week solo!

Or maybe you should be hoping you are sailing solo! Pineapple and all that! Or get on the Mardi Gras sept 18th! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

Horizon (and Miami) are new to me.  That shifts the balance over new ship and prior port (Cape).  I’m stoked as heck with 2 months to go!

Ha! I’m with you! I’m guessing the Pineapple joke went over your head? Cruisers put a pineapple on their door or say pineapple in random groups  to indicate uh certain freedoms. Maybe someone else can explain it better. Going on the Horizon the 18th of this month for the first time! I’ll try to keep people informed! Clemson is doing a pretty good job though! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cruise Related said:

Ha! I’m with you! I’m guessing the Pineapple joke went over your head? Cruisers put a pineapple on their door or say pineapple in random groups  to indicate uh certain freedoms. Maybe someone else can explain it better. Going on the Horizon the 18th of this month for the first time! I’ll try to keep people informed! Clemson is doing a pretty good job though! 

Yep pineapple definitely over my head.  Make sure to have a blast on your cruise.  We’ve all waited long enough!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Ain't that the truth!? They're at the bar with the ones who said all the cruise lines would be out of business by now, LOL.....

To be joined by all of the people who cried that any unvaccinated people on the ships would be super spreaders and cruising would be shut down for good.

• Like 4