The Daily for Monday May 03, 2021

richwmn

Today is Garden Meditation Day, Lumpy Rug Day, and World Press Freedom Day

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. - George Bernard Shaw"

Meal suggestion for today - French Chicken Casserole

Drink of the Day - Corpse Reviver

Wine of the day - Pio Cesare Piodilei Chardonnay - Italy - White

Port of the Day - Mindelo Cape Verde

At Sea Mediterranean
Zaandam Destination Corfu GR eta 5/5

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/6
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 5/7

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Long Beach CA
Westerdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage
Oosterdam Anchorage

Trieste, IT
Rotterdam

0503World.thumb.png.83376d2c57bf9449e4c7792072be3800.png

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good morning and thank you for the daily.  I would love to meditate in a garden instead of going to work today!  Fortunately we don’t have any lumpy rugs.  Press freedom is very important especially in these times.  I live by today’s quote.  The dinner sounds very nice.  Happy Monday all.

• Like 15

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  My favorite among the days is Press Freedom.  I love the quote.  I visited Mindelo on the Amsterdam in 2014; can't remember if it was planned or it was one of the ports substituted for African ports we missed due to the Ebola outbreak.  The cassarole sounds interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad,Linguini Russo, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 3, 2019.  I will likely be quite late with an update on my pre-op as I have a finance meeting with my church this afternoon.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/dishes0503.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

Garlictown needing arm surgery

StLouisCruiser’s sister sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH in surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Crew vaccinations

Jab appointment for superoma DGS

Quartzite family fully vaccinated

No major additions to the care list.

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

I won't be meditating in the garden today as it is supposed to rain all day.   I won't celebrate lumpy rugs as they could be a fall hazard, but Freedom of the Press is essential to a free society, so I'll concentrate my attention there.

I love the quote by George Bernard Shaw.  I used to tell my students something similar all the time.  I remember one girl who was surprised I would try something, not knowing if it would work or not.  I asked her how I would find out if I didn't try it.

Best wishes to all facing surgery or pre surgical evaluations today.   We are collectively believing in all good outcomes.   We'll be thinking of all of  you today.  And, for the rest of us, let's give surgery a break and stay healthy.

Today's meal sounds wonderful again.  The reviews are very positive.   

https://damndelicious.net/2020/10/12/french-chicken-casserole/

French-Chicken-CasseroleIMG_0579.jpg

• Like 27
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday Daily, Rich.  My favorite among the days is Press Freedom.  I love the quote.  I visited Mindelo on the Amsterdam in 2014; can't remember if it was planned or it was one of the ports substituted for African ports we missed due to the Ebola outbreak.  The cassarole sounds interesting.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad,Linguini Russo, and Vanilla Ice Cream as served on MS Nieuw Statendam May 3, 2019.  I will likely be quite late with an update on my pre-op as I have a finance meeting with my church this afternoon.

https://getawaysfrom21044.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/dishes0503.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

Garlictown needing arm surgery

StLouisCruiser’s sister sister needing valve surgery

NextOne DH in surgery

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Crew vaccinations

Jab appointment for superoma DGS

Quartzite family fully vaccinated

No major additions to the care list.

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Good luck today Roy.  Soon this will be behind you.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good evening everyone. I am thrilled to say we have a huge storm passing overhead, thunder, lightning and RAIN! It is a month since we had any rain at all, so we are very happy. The garden is desperate for a good drink. We only use tank water on the garden, and like to keep as much tank water as we can in case of bush fires. So this rain is very welcome. Maybe I should go out in the garden and meditate now!
Thank you Rich and Roy for the Daily. Only a week to go before our Covid vaccinations. Best wishes to all who read and contribute to the Daily.

• Like 26

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Garden Meditation day and Freedom of the Press.

No lumpy rugs here but for anyone who has some, be sure to take a look first to make sure it’s not something living causing the lump 😉 

59DF2C15-C006-4990-BF5E-55E7CDFA70FA.jpeg.9fc88b8dc11517fe27ae18ce464bbd35.jpeg

Love that quote by Shaw.  How true!

Meal suggestion sounds good but we have leftovers from last night’s prime rib steak and fiddleheads to finish.

AF916A42-77C3-4CD9-885A-DB0D3648AF0E.thumb.jpeg.6cfce21024fd335f6d3082a251f2d152.jpeg

@NextOne praying for successful surgery for your DH today and@rafinmdfor your successful and easy pre-op for you today 🙏🏻 

Looking forward to hearing about today’s WHITE wine 👍 

Lots of people excited about getting their “jabs”.  A little vaccination warning for all.

E81C697F-EEAC-4083-BDCA-295A0E51DE12.thumb.jpeg.2fe979b0324c038259cf7ec625c13841.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 for everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!

58942150-D511-4AB0-9676-6E64AE258E97.jpeg.5d69953866590038f1826f0ef517c644.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning.  Unique group of days.  Enjoy sitting in a good garden just thinking about nothing.  No lumpy rugs, I would land on the floor.  Interesting quote.  The meal sounds and looks really yummy.  Thinking of you Roy today, good luck with your pre-op.

Watched Carnival sail into Galveston yesterday, one day closer for "normal".  Hope HAL won't be far behind.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask and get your jab!!

corpse Reviver:

The Corpse Reviver family of named cocktails are sometimes drunk as alcoholic hangover "cures", of potency or characteristics to tongue in cheek be able to revive even a dead person. Wikipedia
Commonly used ingredients: 2 parts cognac; 1 part apple brandy or Calvados; 1 part sweet vermouth
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 7.00.38 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Another rainy day here.  Lumpy rugs are the result of sweeping things under them, don't do it.

Press Freedom day should be everyday.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds good, maybe tomorrow.  I asked DH to make dinner tonight, no idea what he'll come up with.

Good luck with the surgery prep @rafinmd

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 18

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Well I will celebrate Garden Meditation and World Press Freedom Day, but Lumpy Rugs? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen - unless that lump happens to be a kitten or puppy. Edited to add: @kazu- love your meme!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists. Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Love the quote. Meal sounds and looks great. Summer, not sure about that drink. I might have to try a sip. But it sounds a bit too potent for me. 

Currently a bit overcast, but it is supposed to burn off and just be partly cloudy. Busy day ahead.  Heading out tomorrow for a quick mini-reunion with some friends visiting from California and Pennsylvania. Part of the “Gang of Eight” from our Hawaiian Cruise. Just staying over one night, but beats a long drive home. I might have salmon burgers and salad for supper. And some of my Meyer Lemon Margarita. It is currently sitting in a pitcher in my fridge, and every time I open my fridge, I get a whiff of alcohol!

Prayers for all who need our support. Hoping all goes smoothly today for Roy & @NextOne‘s DH . Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

All released vintages share the same excellent ratings, but since I found the 2016 vintage for sale online for as low as  $39.97, I am focusing on that vintage. You might even be able to find it for less locally. 

Winemaker Notes

Spicy, creamy and intense with a soft but long aftertaste. Sweet fruit, hot and ripe, still very fresh with an elegant touch of oak. Long life. Produced in very small quantity.

JS95 James Suckling: This is a layered and beautiful chardonnay with wonderful character. Full-bodied, deep and focused. Love the phenolic tension and seriousness. Cooked apples and pineapples and hints of vanilla and cream. Drink or hold.

RP91 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate:  This wine opens to a few whiffs of smoke and flint before you get to the orchard and passion fruits that are at the core of this pretty white wine. The wine is oak fermented, and you get hints of toasted almond, honey and ripe melon along the way. Despite the hot vintage, the style of this wine embraces freshness, lightness and elegance.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Yesterday was a very nice day here so I went to the garden center, bought some plants and mulch.  Put the plants in the ground and mulched as needed in the area.  The rest of the week promises to be rainy so I’m hoping that means the new plants get a good soaking without us needing to water them.

I saw this on my feed this morning and like it.

image.png.5b499e695781f678a03d2a789db6a9ca.png

• Like 27

Good  Morning  all. I  salute  the  days and  look  for  non  lumpy rugs  in  my  life.  @dfish, the recipe  had  me  salivating  and  I  will  pick  up  mushrooms  and  shallots  to  make  it  later  today. Thank you  to  all  contributors.  @kazu, I  always  have  a  good  laugh  with  your  pictures  and  jokes. The  cat  on  the  ducks' back  was  especially  funny.

It  is  getting  warmer  here  and the  humidity  is  making  my  "hippie  Grandma" do look  like  the  dreaded  triangle. Those  of  you  with  wavy/curly  locks  know  what  I  mean. I  finally  made  an  appointment  to  get  several  inches  taken  off  the  mane. We  are  paying  a  visit  to  family  on  Wednesday  so I  think  I  will  look  less  wild  by  then.

All  the  best  to  the  surgical patients    and  hoping  for   an  uneventful Dr visit  for Roy.     Terry   

• Like 21

Good Morning Everyone from a warm but cloudy day at  the beach.

Love the quote. It is so true. No lumpy rugs here, in fact no rugs at all, except one under the dining room table.

Never been to todays port.  Looking forward to pictures.

Roy- will be thinking of you today. Hope all goes smoothly.

@Nextone DH- hoping for a positive outcome.

Off to water aerobics. Watching for more ships to come in.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 18

Morning everyone!  Looks like we might be in for a few days of intermittent thunderstorms and rain showers.  Right now we are between the raindrops.  May showers can still help bring those May flowers.

Interesting group of Days to celebrate today.  I have to agree we definitely do need a free press.  Too many "woke folks" attempting to censor all sides of the story.

That French Chicken Casserole looks delish!  I wouldn't mind the chef setting that in front of me!

Prayers and toasts to all on our lists.  Good thoughts to @NextOne's DH, @garlictowngetting her medical attention today, @rafinmdgoing in for his pre-op, and my sister who is having a test today using contrast dye.  She is very nervous about it.  Years ago she nearly died during a test using contrast dye so she has been very vocal about her concerns.  Hopefully they have been listening and have plans for that.🙏

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands was an overnight stop on our 2018 Grand Africa and Mediterranean voyage on Prinsendam.  I'll go look up some photos for you to see and be back later.  Ciao!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We don't have a garden to meditate in, but in the summer we have a rather lovely back yard where we often sit and enjoy the sounds of nature around us.  Lumpy rugs in our house usually mean Sochi has managed to get one of her toys wedged underneath!  Hooray for World Freedom of the Press Day!!

Looking at today's drink of the day makes me think one of those would lie me out like a corpse, rather than revive me after a night of imbibing!  Thankfully I don't remember the last time I needed to have some "hair of the dog" the morning after!

@rafinmd, I hope your pre-op goes well today,  @NextOne, sending prayers for your DH and his medical team during his surgery, and @garlictownbest wishes for your surgical procedure.

Yesterday was a productive day - I spent almost half of it going through all my over-wintered succulents, dividing them and redistributing them into new arrangements.  I culled a bunch, giving them to my DH's daughter, rather than throwing anything away.  Succulents are so forgiving, thankfully, or I wouldn't be able to have any, as I've been known to forget about plants for a while.  They thrive on neglect, and I'm good with that.

Today's menu suggestion is close to what I made yesterday; because I was busy with the plants, I did a roast chicken with vegetables around it, and there is more than enough for us for dinner again tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your mask(s), and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

After a week of getting the garden sorted, I think today is a perfect day to slow down and meditate in the garden.  A free press is needed and maybe we'll see one again some day.  Fortunately no lumpy rugs here.

Doing the last minute shopping and tidy up before we head off for several weeks of south east and east coast touring ending with a jaunt to Kentucky.  Looking forward to so new places and visiting old friends.  And yes, although vaccinated masks, distancing and hand washing will be a major focus.

Prayers for all those on the care list and extra prayers for those undergoing surgery, pre-op and other health procedures today.  Best wishes for all.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

and my sister who is having a test today using contrast dye.  She is very nervous about it.  Years ago she nearly died during a test using contrast dye so she has been very vocal about her concerns.  Hopefully they have been listening and have plans for that.

I can understand your sister's concern - about 30 years ago I learned the hard way (anaphylactic shock) that I was allergic to contrasting dye during a CT scan.  When I came out of it, they said "this almost never happens" - well, duh!  Since then, I've had to make sure they understand I can't have a particular brand of contrasting dye, or I'll be in trouble, and so will they.  I'll keep her in my prayers as well that she emerges unscathed.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 13
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

I won't be meditating in the garden today as it is supposed to rain all day.   I won't celebrate lumpy rugs as they could be a fall hazard, but Freedom of the Press is essential to a free society, so I'll concentrate my attention there.

I love the quote by George Bernard Shaw.  I used to tell my students something similar all the time.  I remember one girl who was surprised I would try something, not knowing if it would work or not.  I asked her how I would find out if I didn't try it.

Best wishes to all facing surgery or pre surgical evaluations today.   We are collectively believing in all good outcomes.   We'll be thinking of all of  you today.  And, for the rest of us, let's give surgery a break and stay healthy.

Today's meal sounds wonderful again.  The reviews are very positive.   

https://damndelicious.net/2020/10/12/french-chicken-casserole/

French-Chicken-CasseroleIMG_0579.jpg

Looks tasty!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

I’ll happily celebrate Garden Meditation day and Freedom of the Press.

No lumpy rugs here but for anyone who has some, be sure to take a look first to make sure it’s not something living causing the lump 😉 

59DF2C15-C006-4990-BF5E-55E7CDFA70FA.jpeg.9fc88b8dc11517fe27ae18ce464bbd35.jpeg

Love that quote by Shaw.  How true!

Meal suggestion sounds good but we have leftovers from last night’s prime rib steak and fiddleheads to finish.

AF916A42-77C3-4CD9-885A-DB0D3648AF0E.thumb.jpeg.6cfce21024fd335f6d3082a251f2d152.jpeg

@NextOne praying for successful surgery for your DH today and@rafinmdfor your successful and easy pre-op for you today 🙏🏻 

Looking forward to hearing about today’s WHITE wine 👍 

Lots of people excited about getting their “jabs”.  A little vaccination warning for all.

E81C697F-EEAC-4083-BDCA-295A0E51DE12.thumb.jpeg.2fe979b0324c038259cf7ec625c13841.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 for everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone!

58942150-D511-4AB0-9676-6E64AE258E97.jpeg.5d69953866590038f1826f0ef517c644.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Jacqui:  Your story was cute

• Like 3