Windstar's All-In Package

Windsailer

I am looking at a Star Breeze 7 day cruise and wondering if this package makes sense. I haven't cruised Windstar since 2018 so have no idea about the cost of wine and cocktails. So if anyone has cruised more recently than me - how much does a glass of Merlot cost and a Pina Colada?  Thanks in advance for any insights you might have. 

We looked at the All-in package as well and decided it's probably not worth it. If you take away the gratuities (which you have to pay anyway) it takes it down to $70 per day.  We didn't count the laundry (which I doubt we'd use on a 7-day cruise), so you're left with the wi-fi and the drinks package. Most people seem to reckon the wi-fi is pretty poor and we can use data on our phones when we're in port which is most days. So that leaves the drinks package. You have to drink a fair few drinks each for $70 and if it's a port-intensive cruise we usually have a couple of drinks in the port. We don't want to feel we can't do that because we're trying to get our moneys worth onboard. So all in all we reckon it's worth just paying for each drink individually. They do tend to offer 'specials' and happy hour I think so we'll probably make the most of those. And we can take two bottles of wine onboard.

If you DO drink a lot then it may be worth considering the drinks package on it's own but I reckon the All-In package is only worth it if you would normally buy the wi-fi and laundry as well.

Hi Windsailer, 

I got the latest wine and cocktail menu from Windstar a couple of weeks ago. The merlots are $7.50 (Natura Merlot, Rapel Valley, Chile) and $10.50 (Ancient Peaks Merlot, Paso Robles, California). The price list posted above is within $0.50 wine by the glasses - some higher, some lower; and bottles are within $2 of the list above. Pina coladas are $8.50.

Sadly, the tequila selection is still limited with only Jose Cuervo silver or gold, and Patron.

Generally it takes 5 or more drinks per day (obviously with some variation depending on what you drink) to break even on the drinks package. We don't drink that much so we've never gotten the drinks package. We often buy a bottle of wine for dinner. They will store your bottle and bring it to your table the next night. There are usually some free drinks during the cruise - fizzy stuff or punch when you come on board for embarkation, wine at the captain's reception. wine or simple cocktails at the Yacht Club reception.

I like the laundry package and we've usually gotten that. Often we are on Star Collector voyages where it's included and, now that they've introduced the new loyalty system, I have enough points that it's free for me on all cruises. My husband is 3 star so he gets a 10%discount on the laundry and wi-fi. The laundry package was especially nice on our Lisbon to Barcelona cruise as we came aboard with most of our clothes needing it after flights and several days in Lisbon and we debarked with almost all our clothes clean for a few more nights in Barcelona. 

On 5/3/2021 at 1:37 PM, Mocamps said:

Most people seem to reckon the wi-fi is pretty poor and we can use data on our phones when we're in port which is most days.

They have upgraded the wi-fi. We were on Wind Surf for a month shortly before cruising shut down. The 3rd segment of the cruise had several sea days so I bought the wi-fi for that segment (my first time trying it because we have normally done the same as you). I was quite happy with the wi-fi performance. With 4-stars, I get it for free now. 

I never buy the drinks package on any cruise, because DW doesn't drink and I rarely have anything other than wine at dinner.  But when I priced out the All In package for my (cancelled twice) Windstar cruise, it did make sense – even for us.  If you plan to use the other parts of the package, the drinks come along for free.

I have used the All-in package.  It depends on what you need and are going to consume.   The last time I did it was in French Polynesia and I had done 8 days on land before the sailing, and was spending time after the sailing on FP, so I was going to use the Laundry package, which really helped tip the scales for us.  

We did have some issues with the drink package portion as they had moved items OFF the approved list AND had run out things, and did not have stock, but they did their best to accommodate us.

We have always done the All-In package. We find it just makes things so much easier. No signing for drinks or wine and we just don’t worry about the number of drinks we ‘need’ to consume to break even...but we have found on each trip that the bartenders enjoy finding a new drink of the day for us or a different red wine they think we may like. Also we have found the WiFi, though spotty, sufficient enough for our needs each day. Gratuities are included but we do usually give more to those that take extra special care of us. Laundry is free for a two plus week trip but if not, it’s a must for us as we pack lightly. 

So for us it’s more about convenience and taking care of that whole expense before we even get on the ship, and a very small invoice to take care of at the end of a lovely trip.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My only thought is on the 7 day summer sailings we won't be able to grab a drink onshore if it stands as is. I personally could not drink enough to pay for the package but I did get it for the hubster. He needs internet for work, doubt he'll use laundry. Tips we have to pay anyway. I will a la carte a drink here or there. I'm not a wine drinker but that would come in handy if you did not go All In. 

Does anyone know what the dollar limit for drinks is (ie $12.00).  Hubby likes his single-malts and I was wondering if we can pay the difference between the upper limit price and say the Lagavulin at 14.25.

We will likely get the All In package.  I have always gotten the laundry package, just love traveling light and Windstar does an exceptional job with the laundry.

8 hours ago, themutis said:

Does anyone know what the dollar limit for drinks is (ie $12.00).  Hubby likes his single-malts and I was wondering if we can pay the difference between the upper limit price and say the Lagavulin at 14.25.

We will likely get the All In package.  I have always gotten the laundry package, just love traveling light and Windstar does an exceptional job with the laundry.

6 hours ago, wesport said:

Does Windstar offer wine packages. Like 5,7, or 9 bottles at a discount, or just by the bottle. 

On the first question,  max cost was $11 per drink last time we cruise in March 2020 and if the Lagavulin is $14.25, you will pay $14.25, not the difference if you bought the package. It is only worthwhile if what you like to drink is on the list 

As for the wine bottle packages, last time we cruised, they were offered on deck on boarding day.  There were 3 packages at different price points i.e. one for wines around $30, one at $40 and one at $50.  There was a mixture of red and white wines and I believe you had to buy 5 or 7 bottles

I had emailed Windstar to inquire if there was a dollar limit for specifically single-malts whiskey before I posted here.... Here is their response.  I am guessing this is a disconnect between the front office and the ship and that we will be refused the higher end whiskeys.

"In regards to your inquiry, the All In package has no value limit. It includes all alcohol by the glass, including mini bar items. Bottles of wine are not included in the package, but you could drink an entire bottle worth of glasses and it would be covered by the All In package! "

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, themutis said:

I had emailed Windstar to inquire if there was a dollar limit for specifically single-malts whiskey before I posted here.... Here is their response.  I am guessing this is a disconnect between the front office and the ship and that we will be refused the higher end whiskeys.

"In regards to your inquiry, the All In package has no value limit. It includes all alcohol by the glass, including mini bar items. Bottles of wine are not included in the package, but you could drink an entire bottle worth of glasses and it would be covered by the All In package! "

Let's save this answer ! My husband will be glad to hear it although I'm skeptical...

I'm new to Windstar and hesitant about the All In package.  I sail with my sister, and we hardly drink at all.  Just the free stuff, and an occasional mixed drink.   use internet a lot, she does not.  We would only send out laundry once or twice.  Is it possible to get the package for just one person in the cabin?  She would pay her own drinks and gratuities...Or can you buy all of the items separately?  I am finding it difficult to find much of anything in the Windstar website.  such as, how much are gratuities per day?  Is the unlimited internet really $35/day, or are there other packages?  Thanks so much.  EM

You can buy the things in the all-in-one package separately. Usually we have just used the our cell service and wifi in ports and not paid for shipboard internet. In Jan 2020, we had a cruise with several sea days and I bought the unlimited internet for just me so I know you can buy that for just one person in a cabin. 

I don't think you can buy the laundry for just one in a two person cabin but we pack light and use it a lot so I've never asked.