Time to Cancel ... I think Cruise With Confidence is my best option

I am booked on Independence in August ... 8 days to Aruba, etc. I'm taking my two oldest granddaughters to celebrate their 18th birthdays and high school graduations. Final payment is looming and it's time to admit it isn't going to sail. If I make final payment and wait for them to cancel to get FCC of 125%, I believe they won't issue that to only me. They will issue three separate amounts. The problem with that is that by the time that is received, we will most likely have already booked a replacement cruise. And having paid that deposit, the FCC funds are likely to exceed the balance for the girls. If the money all went to me, that would be something I could use for other cruises I have booked with other friends and family ... but I don't think that's how it works.

So I'm thinking I should just do the "Cruise with Confidence" and take a refund in the form of FCC, which I can then apply to the replacement cruise. 

If my understanding of the options is in error, could someone help me with a better suggestion.

I think you are correct, and you should proceed with what gets the furthest with your money.  Those FCCs have a shelf life, and if your grand daughters cannot sail within that time, you'd have the added worry of extending them.  I agree you should move the deposit money to another cruise.  I've done that several times under the CWC policy.  You don't have to cancel, you change the ship and date, and the deposit money follows over.  Usually you keep the same reservation number.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

I am booked on Independence in August ... 8 days to Aruba, etc. I'm taking my two oldest granddaughters to celebrate their 18th birthdays and high school graduations. Final payment is looming and it's time to admit it isn't going to sail. If I make final payment and wait for them to cancel to get FCC of 125%, I believe they won't issue that to only me. They will issue three separate amounts. The problem with that is that by the time that is received, we will most likely have already booked a replacement cruise. And having paid that deposit, the FCC funds are likely to exceed the balance for the girls. If the money all went to me, that would be something I could use for other cruises I have booked with other friends and family ... but I don't think that's how it works.

So I'm thinking I should just do the "Cruise with Confidence" and take a refund in the form of FCC, which I can then apply to the replacement cruise. 

If my understanding of the options is in error, could someone help me with a better suggestion.

You are correct.  The FCC will be split amongst the guests equally. 

you do have the option of putting cabins on hold while waiting for FCC’s to be issued so that you don’t have to apply a deposit. You need to call Royal to book that way. 

I think even the deposit FCC will be split among guests D. I know ours are. 

So if you don't want split FCC's with the GD's it might be better to move the entire deposit to another sailing, as pcur mentioned. Would that work to keep their names off of it? 

Edited by Coralc
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

As I understand it, under the current rules if you got the three 125% FCCs you could:

1)  Apply your granddaughters' two FCC's to the replacement cruise for the three of you.  Then apply your FCC at a later date.  Since there would then be money left, you would get the balance of the FCC back and could use it on another cruise.  @Ourusualbeach Ken, do I have that right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

As I understand it, under the current rules if you got the three 125% FCCs you could:

1)  Apply your granddaughters' two FCC's to the replacement cruise for the three of you.  Then apply your FCC at a later date.  Since there would then be money left, you would get the balance of the FCC back and could use it on another cruise.  @Ourusualbeach Ken, do I have that right?

Yes you do. 

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Those FCCs have a shelf life, and if your grand daughters cannot sail within that time, you'd have the added worry of extending them.  I agree you should move the deposit money to another cruise.  I've done that several times under the CWC policy.  You don't have to cancel, you change the ship and date, and the deposit money follows over.  Usually you keep the same reservation number.

Wondering if it is reasonable to expect that a FCC would be extended?  

19 minutes ago, JimVB said:

Wondering if it is reasonable to expect that a FCC would be extended?  

I've read many times they will for a good reason.  Having travel partners not available until after the expiration date will usually do the trick.

9 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Wait till 2022!

Thanks for those who replied. The challenge is to work around two different college semesters and I hate to put them off for another entire year. Hopefully we can get our heads together this weekend and find a workable timeframe and an appealing itinerary. The initial objective was itinerary was foremost (with ABC islands being the attraction) and the ship was secondary.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Thanks for those who replied. The challenge is to work around two different college semesters and I hate to put them off for another entire year. Hopefully we can get our heads together this weekend and find a workable timeframe and an appealing itinerary. The initial objective was itinerary was foremost (with ABC islands being the attraction) and the ship was secondary.

2022 August 13 Mariner eight night southern Caribbean with the ABC islands out of Port Canaveral might work.

Edited by orville99

49 minutes ago, Love2cruise77 said:

If your deposits were not non-refundable, you don't even have to use Cruise with Confidence, you can just move them to the new cruise you want to book.

The deposits can be moved regardless.

17 hours ago, emeraldcity said:

Why not opt for the full refund?  It should go back onto the original form of payment which would be your credit card (if that is how you paid).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lax19 said:

Why not opt for the full refund?  It should go back onto the original form of payment which would be your credit card (if that is how you paid).

Yes...it would if the OP has a refundable deposit....Sounds like she may not taking into consideration her posted options.

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes...it would if the OP has a refundable deposit....Sounds like she may not taking into consideration her posted options.

If the cruise line cancels and the cruise was paid for using cash (not FCCs) - a full refund is one of the options. It doesn't matter whether the deposit was refundable or nonrefundable.

I can understand not wanting to make the final payment, especially if it's pretty large. However, paying it off and waiting for the cruise line to cancel is the only way to get a refund when the deposit is nonrefundable.

Edited by NancyIL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NancyIL said:

If the cruise line cancels and the cruise was paid for using cash (not FCCs) - a full refund is one of the options. It doesn't matter whether the deposit was refundable or nonrefundable.

I can understand not wanting to make the final payment, especially if it's pretty large. However, paying it off and waiting for the cruise line to cancel is the only way to get a refund when the deposit is nonrefundable.

Yes...I don't disagree, so you quoted me why ?

6 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Sorry, but isn't that what I actually said in my post #13....:classic_wink:

Your post #13 refers to moving deposits. Your post #15  is in response to that poster’s suggestion that the OP opt for a full refund. Your comment seems to indicate a refund is possible “if the OP has a refundable deposit.”

26 minutes ago, NancyIL said:

Your post #13 refers to moving deposits. Your post #15  is in response to that poster’s suggestion that the OP opt for a full refund. Your comment seems to indicate a refund is possible “if the OP has a refundable deposit.”

I'm sure by now the OP has and understands the options available to her if she decides to wait until the cruise cancels or cancel before FPD.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying sorry... I know exactly when/if a full refund is available...Regardless....moving on...alrighty !

Edited by Ashland

While I am quite sure nobody has been anxiously awaiting to find out what decision was eventually reached, I like to tidy things up.

So, the granddaughters were given the option of a Christmas timeframe or a timeframe that lands between Spring and Summer semesters in 2022. They picked the second one. Of the three Caribbean cruises that fall in that tight window, they chose the most expensive (of course), so I moved the reservation to the Symphony. Royal was awesome to work with and the switch was easily accomplished and I think I got a great cabin.

Thank you to all who responded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

While I am quite sure nobody has been anxiously awaiting to find out what decision was eventually reached, I like to tidy things up.

So, the granddaughters were given the option of a Christmas timeframe or a timeframe that lands between Spring and Summer semesters in 2022. They picked the second one. Of the three Caribbean cruises that fall in that tight window, they chose the most expensive (of course), so I moved the reservation to the Symphony. Royal was awesome to work with and the switch was easily accomplished and I think I got a great cabin.

I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.  Enjoy your time with your granddaughters.

55 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

Symphony is an incredible ship, I hope you have a wonderful time with your granddaughters.