Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

1 hour ago, Sinbadssailors said:

"The mask order includes while guests are seated in outdoor pool areas."

"removal of the mask for extended meal service or beverage consumption would constitute a violation of this Order."

blah blah blah on and on

I swear these are more restrictive than on land.  Who would wear a mask by the pool? No one--- and they know it-- so why even mention it?

Tell me again--- why we are getting the vaccine, if it's not even safe to lay by the pool beside other vaccinated people?

Glad my next 2 cruises aren't out of this country controlled by these ridiculous people

It's o.k. Because we are vaccinated, the CDC is not requiring us to wear masks in our stateroom.

So glad all of my booked cruises are not in USA ports.  I expect some restrictions and those for Europe sound reasonable for the interm until cruises start documenting their results. 

• Like 4

I really don't see how this law will stick I go out to a restaruant and the face mask comes off at the table. I am around people and I don't know if they have been vaccinated or not but no one has their mask on while eating. The cruise ship with vaccinated people will be much safer than a land restaruant or bar. IMO My cruise sails out Jamaica in September so the CDC is not a concern at this point. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, kearney said:

Well I found it... and it does appear the CDC updated it... at least they placed a date of May 5th on it. And I now understand why the CEO of NCL was so outraged... clearly this was written last year and no thought was given to it when updated  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#mask-use.

There is so much confusing info that I like to try to find original sourcing... in this case..I hoped there was a misunderstanding...but no

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 6.31.37 PM.png

Dystopia at sea.

• Like 1

I do note that the Mask Policy starts "At this time...."  Seems kind of strange to start what usually are declarative policies with a limitation like "At this time". Perhaps they are currently under consideration more in line with CDC recommendations concerning persons who are fully vaccinated.

Those words are there for a reason-although not sure why

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Well I found it... and it does appear the CDC updated it... at least they placed a date of May 5th on it. And I now understand why the CEO of NCL was so outraged... clearly this was written last year and no thought was given to it when updated  https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/covid19-operations-manual-cso.html#mask-use.

There is so much confusing info that I like to try to find original sourcing... in this case..I hoped there was a misunderstanding...but no

Screen Shot 2021-05-07 at 6.31.37 PM.png

Haha...I'm relieved to know we won't have to wear a mask inside our own cabins!  Sheesh.  What about in the pool?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am all for precautions and some of the requirements are expected. But what the CDC has just come out with is treating the cruise lines as public transportation, not as it really is - a floating hotel.  The extreme extent of these guidelines take things back to extreme risk "lock down" type guidelines you would see at home. I do not go on a cruise for "Grab and go" meals to eat in my room. I want a nice dining experience.  I want to be able to sunbathe outside on a lounge chair (properly social distanced) without my mask. Hawaii has ridged criteria for their islands and still you can enjoy yourself. 
If you are on a ship that is fully vaccinated, or 95% vaccinated, this seems highly overkill.

My family has rescheduled a cruise several times and are now scheduled for December. We are in the Haven. Probably will spend most of the time in the Haven but I don't intend to eat in my room. I am not a socializer so distancing does not bother me. I don't mind staying away from crowds and plan to go on organized ship shore excursions (though none of our ports are Level I). I will wear a mask as per protocol on shore excursion.  

Let's have realistic guidelines. 

• Like 1

"In terms of elevators, capacity will be limited, and the agency suggests that to maintain social distancing guests be encouraged "to take stairs when possible.""

This might be something more painful than the mask wearing

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'll wait until 2024 and go on 3. I have the weeks picked out already. I'm not spending $'s of dollars to wear a mask . I don't go on a cruise to isolate and social distance either. I guess gone are the days of playing the piano onstage, our outside the dining rooms etc. I guess gone is the self serve ice cream, and buffets of course- serving yourself.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Its got to start back somehow.  Its going to be tough though.  Anyone notice the increase in riots at airports. Here in Miami we are having them every week and it all starts about masks.  I just hope none of this craziness makes it on board but that may be too much to hope for.

Yes, I know its always the few bad apples but a few bad apples always bring negative headlines.  

That's a great way to get a lifetime ban on an airline.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, krittykat said:

I am all for precautions and some of the requirements are expected. But what the CDC has just come out with is treating the cruise lines as public transportation, not as it really is - a floating hotel.  The extreme extent of these guidelines take things back to extreme risk "lock down" type guidelines you would see at home. I do not go on a cruise for "Grab and go" meals to eat in my room. I want a nice dining experience.  I want to be able to sunbathe outside on a lounge chair (properly social distanced) without my mask. Hawaii has ridged criteria for their islands and still you can enjoy yourself. 
If you are on a ship that is fully vaccinated, or 95% vaccinated, this seems highly overkill.

My family has rescheduled a cruise several times and are now scheduled for December. We are in the Haven. Probably will spend most of the time in the Haven but I don't intend to eat in my room. I am not a socializer so distancing does not bother me. I don't mind staying away from crowds and plan to go on organized ship shore excursions (though none of our ports are Level I). I will wear a mask as per protocol on shore excursion.  

Let's have realistic guidelines. 

Some of these guidelines are very unrealistic especially if everyone is vaccinated.  What is the point of the mask as that point?  If they let only vaccinated people and had no masks on the ship then I think that would be reasonable.  Excursions, yeah to will need a mask but on the ship its kind of ridiculous with everyone vaccinated.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Read the post I was replying to, It is always good to start at the beginning. It is great that you want to wear a mask while you are sitting around the pool outside or while you are having a drink. This is the most stupidest conditions I have ever seen, this not a vacation. You mise well stay home and save your money. I think I will just fly some where and relax and you can wear your mask all week!!!

If you don't like it then stay home. More room for me.

Just got back from my first baseball game in over a year, mask and all. I will gladly sit with a mask on if it means I get to go back to some sense of normalcy and watch my team pull off a win in extra innings. LGM!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cscurlock said:

Some of these guidelines are very unrealistic especially if everyone is vaccinated.  What is the point of the mask as that point?  If they let only vaccinated people and had no masks on the ship then I think that would be reasonable.  Excursions, yeah to will need a mask but on the ship its kind of ridiculous with everyone vaccinated.

I can understand wearing a mask in the crowded areas of the ship...like the theater and other places indoors....just like it is recommended now. However..indoor dining is allowed without a mask once you sit down until you get up from the table as long as you are socially distanced. Outdoors...if socially distanced and stationary like on a lounge chair...the CDC does not recommend masks at hotels. A cruise ship is nothing but a floating hotel...same guidelines should apply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, voyager1964 said:

"In terms of elevators, capacity will be limited, and the agency suggests that to maintain social distancing guests be encouraged "to take stairs when possible.""

This might be something more painful than the mask wearing

Got to love the CDC's highly "scientific" recommendation; "take the stairs".

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Got to love the CDC's highly "scientific" recommendation; "take the stairs".

I guess they had to tell the idiots that can’t figure that out for themselves 

• Like 2

I would not really enjoy a cruise with these protocols. The masks requirement for a vaccinated ship is ridiculous.  Either the CDC wants to break the cruise industry ( to get them to flag the ships in the US so they can unionize with US unions and be under more control of the US government) or they have the unrealistic goal of keeping 100% of COVID off all ships.  In any event it doesn't look good for cruising from the US. So ..... let us start booking airfare to the Caribbean and Europe and tell the CDC no thanks to US departures. Also .... thank you CDC to allowing the airlines to continue bringing in people from all over the world during the past 14 months ..... I'm sure they were all 100% COVID free.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, farmersfight said:

Right on Ocean Cat! Did you notice that in the article that the CDC said you don't have to wear your mask inside your stateroom? Wow, how kind of them...

How about while sitting on your balcony?

I know it's pleasing to consider the balcony as part of the inside your stateroom but it's not clear that CDC shares that belief.

After all, one can be on one's balcony and within six feet of another person sitting on their balcony.

Remembering all the debates about how wind can move smoke along the side of the ship, wouldn't wind do the same with the virus?

The CDC could easily rule that your balcony is just like any other open area on the ship, therefore wearing a mask there would be required.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How about while sitting on your balcony?

I know it's pleasing to consider the balcony as part of the inside your stateroom but it's not clear that CDC shares that belief.

After all, one can be on one's balcony and within six feet of another person sitting on their balcony.

Remembering all the debates about how wind can move smoke along the side of the ship, wouldn't wind do the same with the virus?

The CDC could easily rule that your balcony is just like any other open area on the ship, therefore wearing a mask there would be required.

I wouldn't put anything past the CDC. Heck, they want us to keep the mask on in between bites of food and sips of drink. Oh yeah, because the virus knows not to infect you when you are actually eating or drinking.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Help me understand....if everyone is vaccinated on the ship, why do so many on this board feel that it makes sense to be told to continue wearing masks?

‘An abundance of caution’ I guess but it seems most feel it will become unnecessary if high vaccination rates can be achieved. The breakthrough argument is down in the noise, issue may become more real if we see new variants transmitted that are not currently covered by vaccines... and new variants emerge when you have high levels of transmission which is alas still the case somewhat in the US and certainly in many other parts of the world. Seems to me we’re gonna end up with annual boosters that like the flu shot make an educated guess at what will flare up next. The thing that rears it head here is less concern about illness in vaccinated folks but more what does the ship do if it detects an outbreak... we can’t have whole 3 weeks at sea in lockdown, no port access scenario again. The CDC is behind the curve in many respects but is slowly and cautiously changing its guidances, I’d expect several more changes (hopefully relaxations) to come.

Edited by Notnewtoit
  • Like 4