Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

We have a cruise booked, will probably cancel and go to Hawaii for a week

I would rather sit on a lanai in the Hawaiian islands drinking a MaiTai i made

and not wear  a mask than be on a cruise ship wearing a mask.

About the same price for both but i think alot less stress

Edited by jonbgd
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

7 grand? Dang, somebody's overpaying!

Depends on where you cruise.  We only do Europe and try and book at least 14 day cruises if not longer.  And then there's airfare on top of that.

I've actually never cruised out the US.  

18 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

Haha...I'm relieved to know we won't have to wear a mask inside our own cabins!  Sheesh.  What about in the pool?

Only if you plan on breathing underwater.  Then I'm sure it's required.  Ha!

6 hours ago, Empehi said:

I would not really enjoy a cruise with these protocols. The masks requirement for a vaccinated ship is ridiculous.  Either the CDC wants to break the cruise industry ( to get them to flag the ships in the US so they can unionize with US unions and be under more control of the US government) or they have the unrealistic goal of keeping 100% of COVID off all ships.  In any event it doesn't look good for cruising from the US. So ..... let us start booking airfare to the Caribbean and Europe and tell the CDC no thanks to US departures. Also .... thank you CDC to allowing the airlines to continue bringing in people from all over the world during the past 14 months ..... I'm sure they were all 100% COVID free.

Yep.  I gave up looking at US cruises and booked in Greece for August.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

We have a cruise booked, will probably cancel and go to Hawaii for a week

I would rather sit on a lanai in the Hawaiian islands drinking a MaiTai i made

and not wear  a mask than be on a cruise ship wearing a mask.

About the same price for both but i think alot less stress

I've been to Hawaii twice and loved it, we may end up doing the same thing. We always stay at the military hotel on Waikiki.

3 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Handcuffs are a control tactic.  3-ply tissue masks may be a bit of an overreach for perceived health issues but for most people, an inconvenience.

My mask is a sheer (think panty hose fabric) sequined piece of fabric.  It's not doing a damn thing.

But I will slip it on if it makes you feel better.  I'm nice like that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ARBrown said:

My mask is a sheer (think panty hose fabric) sequined piece of fabric.  It's not doing a damn thing.

But I will slip it on if it makes you feel better.  I'm nice like that. 

Thanks, you’re a real prince(ss).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I've been to Hawaii twice and loved it, we may end up doing the same thing. We always stay at the military hotel on Waikiki.

Us Californian's have alot shorter flight and get spoiled by the cheap airfare 

The Hale Koa is great hotel and best Luau on Oahu

I love the vibe of Waikiki and all the happy hour options but 

If we do Oahu probably a condo on Turtle Bay but most likely Lahaina shores in Maui

want something laid back and relaxing

ocean views, sand in my toes and an adult bvg😁

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jonbgd said:

Us Californian's have alot shorter flight and get spoiled by the cheap airfare 

The Hale Koa is great hotel and best Luau on Oahu

I love the vibe of Waikiki and all the happy hour options but 

If we do Oahu probably a condo on Turtle Bay but most likely Lahaina shores in Maui

want something laid back and relaxing

ocean views, sand in my toes and an adult bvg😁

LOL i hear ya and for me a nice cold Lava flow

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

So...to answer the OP's question:

Being in my right mind, I would not sail under those conditions.  If I'm paying, it's gotta be "my way" and if it can't, then my "new normal" won't include cruising.

Exactly!!!  I am not going to pay thousands of dollars to eat a brown bag meal!!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mpk218 said:

Do I have to wear a mask while smoking on my balcony  ?  

I was wondering how to attach a mask to my snorkel 🤔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

"new normal"

If your willing to accept this lifestyle as your new normal I feel bad for you. I refuse to wear a mask around for a virus I'm vaccinated against. Absolutely ridiculous.

I work in a hospital, it has been my new normal and will continue to be so for a while. 

1 hour ago, jperry2011 said:

If you want to be masked up forever be my guest.. don't force them on people especially those of us already vaccinated. That's called control.

No one is forcing you. The rules for sailing are wear a mask. If you don't want to wear one, don't go sailing.

Stop trying to force people to change the rules to suit your personal preferences. Find a cruise line or vacation that fits your preferences better.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I wouldn't put anything past the CDC. Heck, they want us to keep the mask on in between bites of food and sips of drink. Oh yeah, because the virus knows not to infect you when you are actually eating or drinking.

We had a rule just as stupid in this area.

A person sitting at a bar having a drink could remove his mask.

A person standing next to the person sitting at the bar could only briefly remove his mask while taking a sip but then had to replace the mask between sips.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

I work in a hospital, it has been my new normal and will continue to be so for a while. 

No one is forcing you. The rules for sailing are wear a mask. If you don't want to wear one, don't go sailing.

Stop trying to force people to change the rules to suit your personal preferences. Find a cruise line or vacation that fits your preferences better.

If one does not like the rules, there is no reason why that person cannot campaign to have the rules changed. 

• Like 4

Couldn't help but notice that Miami cruises in September were nearly sold out.  What does "sold out" actually mean in this context?  An NCL agent was not able to clarify.  Let's assume they actually sold all the cabins.  There is no buffet , limited seating at all restaurants , limited seating in outdoor pool areas etc. etc.  The last cruise i was on had a busy buffet , crowded restaurants (waiting in long lines for a table) and crowded pools.  Does anyone have any idea how they expect that to work ?

• Like 1

I am a rule abider by nature, but it definitely chafes when the rules are nonsensical. The CDC has already said that it is safe for vaccinated people to gather indoors unmasked. The CDC has already said it is safe to go unmasked outside. The CDC has already said that COVID does not spread effectively on surfaces (and probably even less effectively to vaccinated people!), but they have come up with these rules that only apply on cruise ships. Why can I go maskless in a lounger at my local pool by the CDC standards, but not in a lounger next to a pool that happens to be on a cruise ship? Especially when every single other person on that cruise ship is vaccinated, but not everyone at my local pool is? Why can I sit and eat my leisurely dinner, eating and drinking, maskless for an hour or more in a restaurant on land, but not in a restaurant on a cruise ship where 100% of the staff and other patrons are vaccinated? These are not apples to oranges comparisons. These are apples to apples. Take any scenario on land versus on a cruise ship, and the CDC's guidance is more strict on the ship. Even though, on the ship, they can guarantee 100% vaccination and they can't come close to that on land.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Scenario:

Require everyone be vaccinated to be on the ship ( no vaccine, no cruise) test for Covid before sailing and if you test negative then sail. No masks on board, no social distancing etc. If you take an excursion which some of us will, then wear your masks, try to eat on board as opposed to eating somewhere else. Make it a must to wash your hands ( some people still have a problem with doing so) etc. There's no reason to wear masks on board if everyone including staff are negative for Covid, in fact, i would think it would be safer than being at home. IMO.I guess the problem lies when people come back on board that could have come across someone who is infected, so is not a win win situation. :-(......I guess we have to start somewhere to navigate the new Covid world. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, parttimer55 said:

Couldn't help but notice that Miami cruises in September were nearly sold out.  What does "sold out" actually mean in this context?  An NCL agent was not able to clarify.  Let's assume they actually sold all the cabins.  There is no buffet , limited seating at all restaurants , limited seating in outdoor pool areas etc. etc.  The last cruise i was on had a busy buffet , crowded restaurants (waiting in long lines for a table) and crowded pools.  Does anyone have any idea how they expect that to work ?

As long as everybody is wearing a mask, everything will be OK.

22 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

If you take an excursion which some of us will, then wear your masks, try to eat on board as opposed to eating somewhere else.

I think by taking cruise-line only shore excursions, it will help in this regard. Cruise lines will most likely require masks to be worn on the excursion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I think by taking cruise-line only shore excursions, it will help in this regard. Cruise lines will most likely require masks to be worn on the excursion.

I would not be surprised if cruise lines  make it a requirement as opposed to independent ones at least for a while, but if they do so, they better make them more affordable. I would only do cruise line shore excursions too.

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I would not be surprised that cruise lines will make it a requirement as opposed to independent ones at least for a while, but if they do so, they better make them more affordable. I would only do cruise line shore excursions too.

Agree. I would have no problem taking cruise line excursions only during these times. I just hope the cruise lines don't try and take advantage of the situation and jack up their prices for these excursions.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, parttimer55 said:

Pure speculation on your part on how things will be set up. Your agent can only tell you that rooms are limited, not what policy makes them limited. 

The expectation is that everything is well thought out and will work just fine. And not all doom and gloom. Cruise lines want this to work. And will ensure that passengers enjoy their cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

And that is another reason for us not to do a cruise. Alot of ports we have been to before and maybe we just want to walk around and grab a bite to eat and an adult beverage.

Why would I want to pay money to  the cruise line for that

• Like 3