Who in their right mind would want to cruise under these conditions??????

Topdog52

1 minute ago, jonbgd said:

And that is another reason for us not to do a cruise. Alot of ports we have been to before and maybe we just want to walk around and grab a bite to eat and an adult beverage.

Why would I want to pay money to  the cruise line for that

I totally get what you're saying and I also totally respect your position. The key word in your statement is "before", as in before covid times. Hopefully, when we the majority of us are vaccinated (or have natural immunity), we can get back to as "before". But until then, imo, having to take cruise line only shore excursions is a small price to pay during these covid times. Again, I respect your position. That's what is great about this country; freedom of choice.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

As long as everybody is wearing a mask, everything will be OK.

i was referring to the cruise ship being able to service people under those constraints , not the safety involved.  Mandatory vaccines will help a lot but now Florida has banned business operations from requiring vaccines and the NCL cruises are out of Miami. 

5 hours ago, Sinbadssailors said:

I agree- and that's starting to look like the point. I've been picturing the discussion at the CDC:

Dave: The unwashed masses are complaining about cruises again

Tony: I know... let's make them wear masks- in the sun!

Bob: and suggest an invisible fence to keep them in line("wristbands to alert guests if they are breaking social distancing protocols").hahaha that oughta do it

You do realize that wristbands are already being used by the cruise lines for contact tracing on ships.  All of the lines will be doing it in some form or another going forward.

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

....The CDC could easily rule that your balcony is just like any other open area on the ship, therefore wearing a mask there would be required.

No need to rule it as such, it's clearly an open area. 😉

8 hours ago, d9704011 said:

Although the jury is still out there is a possibility that a vaccinated person can carry and spread the virus and that a different vaccinated person will not be immune to the virus.  So, still a possibility of spread and falling ill....

Well said, but no jury required as it's a scientific fact.

7 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

I'd have no problem with the stairs...and in theory it sounds good....BUT....you'd have to socially distance the stairs and each staircase could only be one way.  Think about it....

That's true, but any ship I've been on it would be straightforward to put this protocol in place.

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

....Also, the CDC itself has said that COVID is NOT spread on surfaces. So why are they still banning self-service on cruise ships?.....

I am not certain the science supports that view. Even if it does, this protocol is welcome IMHO in the battle against preventing norovirus....having seen the behaviour of some at self serve buffets, this ought to be a permanent change.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

I am not certain the science supports that view. Even if it does, this protocol is welcome IMHO in the battle against preventing norovirus....having seen the behaviour of some at self serve buffets, this ought to be a permanent change.

Oh, I agree that getting rid of self-service will probably prevent the spread of a whole host of other illnesses that commonly spread on cruise ships.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, spanishguy1970 said:

...There's no reason to wear masks on board if everyone including staff are negative for Covid...

You do know that it is possible to be negative today, but positive tomorrow, yes?

• Like 1

Perhaps it's time for all to stop watching any news, hug the ones we love and try to regain some sense of compassion and kindness and assist those who have been particularly marginalized and isolated for the past 15 months.

The divisiveness is prevalent in families, neighbors and communities as a whole, unlike anything I've seen in my life.

• Like 6

On 5/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, DCGuy64 said:

Well then what WAS the point?

We're booked in a balcony cabin for $3,500 for 2 including roundtrip airfare to the Dominican Republic.

I think I can handle a mask for some of that time. 👍 But for $7,000? Not so much...

Anyhow, these rules will never go into effect, they're so ludicrously unworkable and intrusive that they're clearly there to get a reaction out of people. And they certainly have. 🤣

You really think the CDC is sitting around the big mahogany table thinking of ways to get a reaction out of people? 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

I totally get what you're saying and I also totally respect your position. The key word in your statement is "before", as in before covid times. Hopefully, when we the majority of us are vaccinated (or have natural immunity), we can get back to as "before". But until then, imo, having to take cruise line only shore excursions is a small price to pay during these covid times. Again, I respect your position. That's what is great about this country; freedom of choice.

Im totally get what your saying and not disagreeing. 

I booked a cruise hoping things would be back to normal and everyone would be vaccinated.

I just didnt realize people would be so against it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, krittykat said:

...... A cruise ship is nothing but a floating hotel...same guidelines should apply.

It is even better than a hotel when the ship is cruising. The breeze is stronger which mitigates the virus even more, I would think. Why would masks be necessary if loungers are distanced and the breeze is strong? I don't think the CDC took that into consideration as far as masking outdoors on a cruise ship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

How about while sitting on your balcony?

I know it's pleasing to consider the balcony as part of the inside your stateroom but it's not clear that CDC shares that belief.

After all, one can be on one's balcony and within six feet of another person sitting on their balcony.

Remembering all the debates about how wind can move smoke along the side of the ship, wouldn't wind do the same with the virus?

The CDC could easily rule that your balcony is just like any other open area on the ship, therefore wearing a mask there would be required.

The wind movement is what disappates the virus. This is the reason why the CDC said early on that virus transmission is minimal when outdoors  and when distanced from others. I have not worn a mask outdoors ever. As soon as I exit a building, my mask comes off and always has since the beginning of this pandemic. Of course, I am NEVER near anyone outside with the exception of my husband so there is that.

Edited by coffeebean

11 hours ago, winterbliss said:

Help me understand....if everyone is vaccinated on the ship, why do so many on this board feel that it makes sense to be told to continue wearing masks?

I'm getting the just opposite impression. Most folks are saying it is ridiculous to mandate masking on a fully vaccinated ship. I agree. It is ludicrous. The CDC is not even trusting their own guidelines for fully vaccinated people.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I wouldn't put anything past the CDC. Heck, they want us to keep the mask on in between bites of food and sips of drink. Oh yeah, because the virus knows not to infect you when you are actually eating or drinking.

Their guidance on this ridiculous rule is that you will not infect OTHERS; not that you are protecting yourself. That has always been the guidance for universal masking.....protecting OTHERS, not yourself.

Anyway......masking in between bites of food and sips of drinks will not be happening for me as long as this guideline is in effect on a cruise ship.

Edited by coffeebean

10 hours ago, jperry2011 said:

How many people a day cough or sneeze in your face? If someone did that to me we would have issues..

So why do I need a mask? I don't understand it. There is a way higher chance of someone coughing or sneezing onto a surface me touching it and then adjusting my mask. (Your not gonna cough or sneeze into your mask are you?)

The masks are a control tactic that's all.

Of course, you are supposed to cough or sneeze into your mask. THAT is the entire idea of universal masking for source control.

As an aside.........Remember that politician who pulled down his mask to sneeze into his BARE hand?  MSM was covering that snafu. Duh. He looked like the biggest dodo-head there was. He wore his mask but must not have understood why he wore that mask.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I'm getting the just opposite impression. Most folks are saying it is ridiculous to mandate masking on a fully vaccinated ship. I agree. It is ludicrous. The CDC is not even trusting their own guidelines for fully vaccinated people.

So for the sake of discussion, what is your opinion on why the CDC is asking for mask wearing on a fully vaccinated ship?

I agree, it's ludicrous. IMO, the fact that the CDC is requesting this raises red flags. I suppose I'm more suspicious than most, but this just does not compute. I feel like we are missing data. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Of course, you are supposed to cough or sneeze into your mask. THAT is the entire idea of universal masking for source control.

As an aside.........Remember that politician who pulled down his mask to sneeze into his BARE hand?  MSM was covering that snafu. Duh. He looked like the biggest dodo-head there was. He wore his mask but must not have understood why he wore that mask.

Your literally gonna sneeze into a mask and wear it around? 🤣🤣🤣

10 minutes ago, jperry2011 said:

Your literally gonna sneeze into a mask and wear it around? 🤣🤣🤣

Part of the magic of lightweight, inexpensive, disposable 3-ply tissue masks is that you can have a clean one nearby in the event your sneeze is substantial enough that a change of mask is necessary.  I suppose, if a person is sneezing badly enough, they might want to reconsider going out and about but that probably isn’t in the cards for you.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

So for the sake of discussion, what is your opinion on why the CDC is asking for mask wearing on a fully vaccinated ship?

I agree, it's ludicrous. IMO, the fact that the CDC is requesting this raises red flags. I suppose I'm more suspicious than most, but this just does not compute. I feel like we are missing data.

Just wise to question so much that doesn't make sense, in my opinion.

15 hours ago, hamrag said:

That's true, but any ship I've been on it would be straightforward to put this protocol in place.

Have have not been on a mega ship? Oasis Class comes to mind. Many areas onboard are crowded , just because. If you then say oh only 50%, then the ship would be cost prohibitive to us and or the cruise line. Just saying, not doing a cruise with a mask. That is not a vacation. 

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Pure speculation on your part on how things will be set up. Your agent can only tell you that rooms are limited, not what policy makes them limited. 

The expectation is that everything is well thought out and will work just fine. And not all doom and gloom. Cruise lines want this to work. And will ensure that passengers enjoy their cruise. 

Not speculating at all.  The rule is no self serve buffet and 6 ft between restaurant patrons. The 6ft rule easily reduces capacities by half.

53 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Part of the magic of lightweight, inexpensive, disposable 3-ply tissue masks is that you can have a clean one nearby in the event your sneeze is substantial enough that a change of mask is necessary.  I suppose, if a person is sneezing badly enough, they might want to reconsider going out and about but that probably isn’t in the cards for you.

So if you have allergies your not allowed outside in your world? 

• Thanks 1