What time do you leave the ship on port days?

Vampiress88

Obviously everyone will have different things they do on port days. 

last time we were on a ship we got up quite early had breakfast at the buffet and were off the ship super early. 
We were one of the first at one port and couldn’t find how to get out of the port as there were officers with guns and we ended up on a shuttle bus instead that cost us a bit. Had we have waited we would have seen everyone else walking. 
then we were back on the ship for 10/11am cold and bored. 

so I think for the next time I’m not going to set an alarm too early. I’m going to have a nice breakfast in the dining room rather than the buffet and leave the ship maybe 9 or 10. Unless we have a booked excursion of course. 

what about you guys?

We have an MDR breakfast and tend to get off at about 10 and we usually have an idea of what we want to do. A HOHO bus is an option if there is one but sometimes we just like to wander and see what we find.

Basically "it all depends". 

If we have a private tour booked, or have a specific destination in  mind, we obviously plan accordingly. 

If, like Cathy, we are just mooching around, we'll aim to leave the ship between 10 and 11. Leave too early and many of the shops, cafes etc, won't be properly open.     

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Basically "it all depends". 

If we have a private tour booked, or have a specific destination in  mind, we obviously plan accordingly. 

If, like Cathy, we are just mooching around, we'll aim to leave the ship between 10 and 11. Leave too early and many of the shops, cafes etc, won't be properly open.     

think that was what happened to us. Nothing was open. We ended up in swings and slide parks and that was it. Good job I didn’t go for the destinations

We usually know what we want to do as I have spent a lot of time looking it up.  We often do not leave until 11am, but probably have a cooked breakfast in a buffet because we like lots of fruit as well.  Then we stay off the ship until shortly before the last embarkation time, having a cake/snack/lunch ashore.  If we have planned to travel beyond the port or to do a fair bit, we will have room service breakfast, leave earlier and have a proper lunch out.

I think an important thing is to know how to leave the port and beyond that if travelling further and what time museums etc. are open.  Often public transport is fine to use, but need some homework there, including how to buy the tickets, which are often automated machines that do not naturally speak English (though chances are you can choose that option).

Goggle Earth is great to be able to see places, though the less visited countries we often visit, are often not on street view - good in Europe though.  Beyond that the "What's in Port" site is useful as well as the "ports of call" boards on this site, but I find Trip Advisor forums can sometimes be better for independent travel, buying tickets etc. as you do not get sidestepped by Americans who prefer to pay a lot more for set private tours to see everything at once, rather than relax and enjoy the day at your own pace.

This has reminded me about what was good about cruising, I do hope we will be allowed such independent travel in the not too distant future.

Enjoy your cruise when it comes around,

Barbara

Edited by tring

51 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Depending on what time you're due to dock, and the weather, it's sometimes worth going to the buffet for breakfast and sitting outside to take in the views whilst sailing in.

never thought of that. 

maybe I’ll nip up to buffet and just fetch everyone something while they lounge in bed. 

In the days when we were working we would be up and off. I think we had a mindset that time/holidays were so valuable we needed to cram as much in as possible. Now we get up when we get up and rarely go to the buffet unless we are on an early trip, which we try and avoid. Sometimes we don't even bother to get off the ship. It is quite funny now when we look back, we would be coming back to the ship when most people were getting off saying can't understand why people leave it so late when everything will be busy, probably find others saying the same about us meandering along mid morning without a care in the world. Don't worry about the tension when you are spending the pension.

• Like 7

I suppose it all depends on what we are doing. As we have to get up at the crack of dawn at work (and I am NOT a good morning person) we enjoy a lie in on holiday if we can, so will go for a late breakfast and probably off the ship for about 10.30am to explore if we are 'going alone'. It also means we tend to miss the tender rush.

On an excursion day it is whatever time we have to be up for. The worst cruise we did for this was the Holy Land excursions and I remember setting the alarm clock for 5.30am for 3 days in a row. The last time we went to Santorini with Celebrity we had to be in the theatre for 6.45am -- ouch. It was worth it though, but there were so tired looking passengers.

🙂

If we are on a ships excursion we meet at the time and place we are told.

We always have a balcony cabin and get room service breakfast and sit on the balcony enjoying the sail in to port.

Usually if we are going ashore independently we wait until around 10.30am when most of the crowds have gone on their tour's.

Graham

If we are heading to the beach or want to do something like the cable car in Madeira we are up at the crack of dawn before it gets too busy. The kids are always eager to get up and explore so no alarms ever need to be set. We love watching the sail ins. Then we normally have a more chilled afternoon sitting on the balcony. Bliss 😊

• Like 1

Depends very much on when the ship is due to sail. But on a typical port day sailing in late afternoon or late evening, I get up around 8 to get down to the restaurant for breakfast before they close. After a leisurely and sociable breakfast I return to my cabin to prepare to venture ashore, by which time my steward has usually completed his work. I avoid the early bird rush and usually go ashore around 10:30 to 11:00, returning in mid afternoon.

Depends on what we are doing. If we have and excursion and need to be up early we will order room service so we can have breakfast, get ourselves sorted and go. Going ashore independently we go when we are ready normally between 10 and 11ish.

5 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Depends very much on when the ship is due to sail. But on a typical port day sailing in late afternoon or late evening, I get up around 8 to get down to the restaurant for breakfast before they close. After a leisurely and sociable breakfast I return to my cabin to prepare to venture ashore, by which time my steward has usually completed his work. I avoid the early bird rush and usually go ashore around 10:30 to 11:00, returning in mid afternoon.

Normally do exactly the same maybe a bit earlier at 9.30 to 10.00, wander round town, come back in plenty of time for a sit out or a swim.  It's a holiday .

Of course sometimes but not often there is something special,  when we want to be out early. 

39 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Slightly off my own topic but you guys will know 

5816BFAB-6779-4131-9AA6-D811488D2116.thumb.jpeg.f5a770960b837e73c2020350bcff2add.jpeg

this is the route for the ship. 
will it go through the bay of biscay? 

Yes all cruises from Southampton going to the Med/Canaries go through BoB.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

Slightly off my own topic but you guys will know 

5816BFAB-6779-4131-9AA6-D811488D2116.thumb.jpeg.f5a770960b837e73c2020350bcff2add.jpeg

this is the route for the ship. 
will it go through the bay of biscay? 

Yes 👍.

We have been through a force 11 on Oceana and on other occasions there has been hardly any movement.

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Yes all cruises from Southampton going to the Med/Canaries go through BoB.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

And its a yes from me too

Image result for Bay of Biscay Map. Size: 223 x 204. Source: commons.wikimedia.org

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Yes 👍.

We have been through a force 11 on Oceana and on other occasions there has been hardly any movement.

ok. 
I was hoping that since it was bad near la Coruna or somewhere that maybe the bay was nearer to the coastline and maybe this avoided it. 

anyone know if it’s better on the bit that goes from Lisbon to Southampton or is it just pot luck?

Vamps - it's all a lottery.  You are in the lap of the gods, and there is nothing you can do about it. You can hit bad weather 3 hours out of Southampton! 

But, if I remember correctly,  you have a balcony cabin. I think that if you sit facing the direction of travel, and look out of your window, and focus on the horizon, that helps.

Others will have alternative suggestions. 

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

The stretch of sea from Lisbon can be quite choppy but also very calm. 

^ Agree with this.

Last Iberian cruise, the BOB was like a millpond, but just outside Lisbon, the stabilisers were out sharpish .. although Arcadia coped admirably.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

ok. 
I was hoping that since it was bad near la Coruna or somewhere that maybe the bay was nearer to the coastline and maybe this avoided it. 

anyone know if it’s better on the bit that goes from Lisbon to Southampton or is it just pot luck?

Vamps, the Atlantic is pot luck anytime, it ranges from from flat calm with glorious sunshine, to wet windy and rough.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Vamps, the Atlantic is pot luck anytime, it ranges from from flat calm with glorious sunshine, to wet windy and rough.

will need to prepare for titanic again then. Hope the kids sleep through it this time 😂 

things I do for a holiday 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

will need to prepare for titanic again then. Hope the kids sleep through it this time 😂 

things I do for a holiday 

Knowing you, you're enjoying every minute of it🙂

Avril