NCL "Second Guest Flies Free" Pros and Cons

BetsyInVT

Without looking at a complete set of terms and conditions, no one can say.  One thing to remember -- a promotion in one area usually means that there isn't one in a different area.  Or that it's merely a compensation for a higher starting price -- many cruise lines have 2 for 1 prices that aren't really....they just boost the base price and make you think you are getting a deal.

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Without looking at a complete set of terms and conditions, no one can say.  One thing to remember -- a promotion in one area usually means that there isn't one in a different area.  Or that it's merely a compensation for a higher starting price -- many cruise lines have 2 for 1 prices that aren't really....they just boost the base price and make you think you are getting a deal.

I'm really starting to see that... when I run the numbers and account for the differentials, it seems to pretty much come out even.   

So in your collective experiences, what has served you better, letting the cruise line handle the air fare or doing it yourself?   I imagine doing it yourself has more control, but does allowing the cruise line  to line up the air fare help keep you from being left behind?

16 minutes ago, BetsyInVT said:

I imagine doing it yourself has more control, but does allowing the cruise line  to line up the air fare help keep you from being left behind?

There is an urban legend that if you buy your air ticket through the cruiseline, somehow you will always make your ship.  Nope.  Cruiselines don't miraculously have extra seats and airplanes waiting to take you to your embarkation port.  In fact, the extra layer between you and the flight may work against you.  Your best protection is proactively have contingency plans and work directly with the airline, being as flexible as you can.

There will be a lot of reassuring marketing verbiage that makes it seem that there are banks of agents who spend their entire days monitoring EVERY flight to check for delays or cancellations.  And that they will proactively help you without your need to do anything.  Nope.  Check the actual terms and conditions and you will see that there are plenty of disclaimers.

The big advantage of cruiseline air is that you usually don't have to make payment until your cruise payment is due.  The disadvantages are many, including significant fare rule restrictions, late ticketing resulting in lack of reserved seats, less than desirable routings and timings, and others.

Another thing to consider look at arriving the day prior to your cruise.  less stressful.  Depending on which airport you fly from and how many flights per day are available to your destination city; cruise air may not be that much cheaper than booking on your own.  Lots of variables to work with.   AMA Waterways had a price where you got free airfare if you booked certain river cruises.  When I factored in the price of a regular river cruise and book my own airfare;  I came out cheaper.

Edited by AF-1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm booked on a Transatlantic cruise from Southampton, England to New York.  I've never used the flights booked with NCL, but from what I've read, NCL air from a large airport will result in fewer layovers than from smaller airports.  I hope that living relatively close to Los Angeles Airport will work in my favor.  Am I right?  For flights leaving from Southampton, does NCL fly you to London or Southampton?

Southampton is a small regional airport - I would highly doubt any cruiseline would send passengers there as a first option.  The only regular service to any airline hub would be KLM to Amsterdam.  Although British Airways is planning to start a number of routes this summer and fall, they are to tourist destinations, not to airports where you would make regular connections to SOU.

15 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Although British Airways is planning to start a number of routes this summer and fall, they are to tourist destinations, not to airports where you would make regular connections to SOU.

Psht, speak for yourself, I for one look forward to flying from Kansas City to Southampton on some AA/IB/BA routing via Chicago-Madrid-Malaga-Southampton just to avoid Heathrow 😉 (I kid, I kid) 

Edited by Zach1213

30 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Psht, speak for yourself, I for one look forward to flying from Kansas City to Southampton on some AA/IB/BA routing via Chicago-Madrid-Malaga-Southampton just to avoid Heathrow 😉 (I kid, I kid) 

Well, if they were still awarding FF miles on distance....

4 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

My wife and I decided to spend a couple extra days on vacation in Australia (while already there) and the only opportunity to use miles to get home in J/F was SYD-HNL-SEA-(overnight)-MCI on a combination of Hawaiian and Alaska using AA miles. Not ideal, but it worked! 

Edited by Zach1213

12 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

They still do on Delta with "partner flights" and "exception fares". I'm flying them to Dublin in March with a "V" fare and will earn 4800 miles for that trip. This is on a flight where the base fare is $100.

Edited by zdcatc12

Do the math.  Our experience in receiving offers like this is once you have done the math the savings are not substantial. 

In fact, more often than not there are no savings or very minor savings.  Bundling product and optional items, tiny discount...advertised as a big deal when it is really a nothing deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iancal said:

Do the math.  Our experience in receiving offers like this is once you have done the math the savings are not substantial. 

In fact, more often than not there are no savings or very minor savings.  Bundling product and optional items, tiny discount...advertised as a big deal when it is really a nothing deal.

Like "Two for One" pricing on cruises.  Or the never-ending sales at Macy's.  Inflate the price, then offer a flashy discount.

Caveat Emptor

Yes.   Just think of how generous all those mattress stores are by constantly discounting 50 and 60 percent.

How can they ever stay in business by selling below cost so often?   It is a real mystery.

We will probably wait for the real deal.......two for one air, free gratuities,  AND  'employee pricing' (limited time offer of course).

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

How can they ever stay in business by selling below cost so often?   It is a real mystery.

Old borscht belt joke:

Two men in the 7th Avenue garment trade:

Abe:  "I lose $5 on every suit I sell"

Sam:  "How do you stay in business?"

Abe:  "Volume, volume, volume"