Military OBC?

Uncle Sugar

Made my first 2023 bookings online last week. Noticed that on the subsequent booking confirmations the expected automatic military onboard credits did not display (I'm a Navy retiree). Has anyone else encountered this? .

Just to clarify for those reading, it's not a discount. It is On Board Credit of  $50, $100 or $250 based on the length of the cruise. Max. 2 qualified people per cabin. In the past it was refundable OBC.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kiwimum said:

Princess required us to reconfirm military service last year.  Easy to do on line.  All’s well.

Thank you Carnival Corporation!

I just checked our 2022 cruise and the military OBC was applied. I have never been asked to reconfirm since I first filed for it in the early 2000's.

3 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

I just checked our 2022 cruise and the military OBC was applied. I have never been asked to reconfirm since I first filed for it in the early 2000's.

We had to reconfirm last year after having it for many years. 

When I booked my November 2021 cruise it was not applied so I called my Travel Agent.  She called Princess to that and my other scheduled cruises.  My Carnival stock credit was also missing but I had to forward a current brokerage statement to show I still owned the stock.  

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We had to reconfirm last year after having it for many years. 

Seems pointless as once a veteran, always a veteran. I can see being required to reconfirm stockholder OBC, just not veteran OBC.

Edited by Doug R.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug R. said:

Seems pointless as once a veteran, always a veteran. I can see being required to reconfirm stockholder OBC, just not veteran OBC.

Hi Doug - Keep in mind that not everyone who served is considered a veteran.  There are those who may be serving in the reserves yet are never called to active duty, other than for training.  They qualify for the OBC while serving in the reserves (using their CAC or military ID as proof or service) but as soon as they are discharged they are not considered veterans.

But yes, I agree that those who are veterans should not have to "re-up" with Princess. 😉

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 4hunters said:

Hi Doug - Keep in mind that not everyone who served is considered a veteran.  There are those who may be serving in the reserves yet are never called to active duty, other than for training.  They qualify for the OBC while serving in the reserves (using their CAC or military ID as proof or service) but as soon as they are discharged they are not considered veterans.

But yes, I agree that those who are veterans should not have to "re-up" with Princess. 😉

While I agree it should not be a problem for the IT folks at Princess to program the software to make periodic recertification of retired veterans unneccessary, I also understand that Princess does this at their option as a courtesy to veterans, and if they want periodic recertifications, who are/am we/I to say otherwise???

Paul

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Av8tor said:

While I agree it should not be a problem for the IT folks at Princess to program the software to make periodic recertification of retired veterans unneccessary, I also understand that Princess does this at their option as a courtesy to veterans, and if they want periodic recertifications, who are/am we/I to say otherwise???

Paul

Good point, Paul. I’m grateful Carnival Corp offers this perk for veterans. I’m just offering my opinion is all. 

Remember the Military benefit is approved every year by the Board of Directors of Carnival Corp.  With Carnival (and Princess) burning thru millions every month – the Board could say No to benefits for any coming year.  Hear today and gone tomorrow.  In my case, I had my military DD2014 on file (with Princess) for almost 30 years. I never had a problem with applying this benefit to upcoming cruises over that period of time.  In fact, 99% of the time they were applied automatically.  Reconfirmation is not a problem for me. 

Did the Board of Directors ask for an update of military benefits given out ($$$)?  

What about possible nefarious activities (yea, cheating)? 

Does Carnival cross check (DD2014) against another data base?

What data base?  Does Carnival check with the Dept. of Defense for certification? 

Bogus documentation sent to Carnival could be a problem.

Carnival IT people are updating their software systems and need a new update.

Again, reconfirmation of service in the military is not a problem for me.

Thanks for the perk.

1 hour ago, John99 said:

Remember the Military benefit is approved every year by the Board of Directors of Carnival Corp.  With Carnival (and Princess) burning thru millions every month – the Board could say No to benefits for any coming year.  Hear today and gone tomorrow.  In my case, I had my military DD2014 on file (with Princess) for almost 30 years. I never had a problem with applying this benefit to upcoming cruises over that period of time.  In fact, 99% of the time they were applied automatically.  Reconfirmation is not a problem for me. 

Did the Board of Directors ask for an update of military benefits given out ($$$)?  

What about possible nefarious activities (yea, cheating)? 

Does Carnival cross check (DD2014) against another data base?

What data base?  Does Carnival check with the Dept. of Defense for certification? 

Bogus documentation sent to Carnival could be a problem.

Carnival IT people are updating their software systems and need a new update.

Again, reconfirmation of service in the military is not a problem for me.

Thanks for the perk.

I never heard that Carnival Corp BofD had to approve the Princess' military benefit each year. Maybe you are confusing this benefit with the Shareholder's Benefit. I also think you are mixing up Princess Cruise Line with Carnival Corp. Princess operates its line and marketing pretty much on its own. 

I don't foresee Princess eliminating the military benefit. It's a marketing program that has worked well for them over many years, and will attract past and hopefully new customers in recovery. 

Princess offers military OBC to each qualified passenger, max. two benefits per cabin. You send your information to Princess, not Carnival. Princess is responsible for this information. Any checking, if even possible for all the different countries involved, would be confidential to protect customer's personal information.

I am not aware of any military benefit offered by Carnival Corp. similar to the shareholder's benefit.

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I am not aware of any military benefit offered by Carnival Corp. similar to the shareholder's benefit.

There is some sharing of information. Cunard automagically applied DH veteran benefit when we booked with them. I think (but not sure) than Holland America also does this.

I faxed my DD214 many years ago...never had to resubmit...always happy to see the OBC.

Although I do regret telling my wife I had $250 OBC on our L.A. to Hawaii and back cruise........she spent it all!!!

• Haha 2