Explore again sail well

uktog

16 hours ago, laurieb said:

They have plenty of  good exploring excursions. We’re booked too and I’ll be on the ship!

yes but why pay $50 for a walk around town when I can do that myself for free at my own pace and see what I want to see?  Or I see the $200+ excursion in Sorrento that goes to Capri but I could easily hop on a 30 min ferry myself. I just find it odd that I will be able to travel to Italy independently but if I’m on a cruise I need to be part of a cruise-sponsored excursion. Who knows. Maybe the guidance is assuming worst case scenario and will be more liberal at time of sailing. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

There is a buffet, it just will not be self-served.  This is the way it has been done on some other cruise lines for many years. From the "Explore Well at Sea:"

Buffets will now be served by crew rather than self-service

Yes I read that after I posted the message. Sorry about the confusion. You are correct and it makes perfect sense. Personally I am happier being served at buffets anyway, as sometimes people pick up food and then put it back without thinking of how unsanitary that is even under normal circumstances.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, ptrpanpens said:

Curious as to how they will handle disembarkation is there is only one dining room? And since there will be no buffet, will they convert that area into another dining room, or perhaps a cafe where you cannot serve yourself. The dining room may be very crowded if that is the only option other than a boxed meal.

Also as stated, they will be sailing at reduced capacity so there will be less guests so that will also help with "crowding".  They also are indicating you book tables for dinner in the main dining room which so long as everyone gives a bit of leeway means at night you still have the buffet, 2 speciality restaurants, the Patio and the Main Dining room.  At breakfast and lunch they can open up more of the main dining room so I think the crowding issue will have been well thought through and appropriate plans made  .

The thing is none of us know the reality of what it will be like and the September extra cruises will be the learning curves for all involved.  Until then we cannot be sure exactly how it will feel

6 minutes ago, gskimmel said:

yes but why pay $50 for a walk around town when I can do that myself for free at my own pace and see what I want to see?  Or I see the $200+ excursion in Sorrento that goes to Capri but I could easily hop on a 30 min ferry myself. I just find it odd that I will be able to travel to Italy independently but if I’m on a cruise I need to be part of a cruise-sponsored excursion. Who knows. Maybe the guidance is assuming worst case scenario and will be more liberal at time of sailing. 

I am hopeful things will become clearer after the Greek cruises have set sail. Personally, being forced to go only on ship excursions is a deal breaker for me. Especially in Italy where I know several outstanding guides I always use whenever I go there,  (If I decide I dont want to explore on my own.)

one or two ship excursions might be acceptable but no more than that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Several welcome changes.  But the section on indoor dining remains unchanged with the disputed language about mask wearing during 'extended meal service or beverage consumption,' and the suggestion that cruise lines offer 'alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.'  Lovely idea to pay Azamara prices and get a box lunch for dinner!

Indeed, that does sound ridiculous! That said, we did not feel the MDR lived up to the Azamara 'premium' status so perhaps not such a bad idea after all.

23 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Several welcome changes.  But the section on indoor dining remains unchanged with the disputed language about mask wearing during 'extended meal service or beverage consumption,' and the suggestion that cruise lines offer 'alternative meal services options, such as prepackaged grab-and-go meals, for consumption on open decks or in individual cabins to minimize risks associated with congregate indoor dining.'  Lovely idea to pay Azamara prices and get a box lunch for dinner!

There is no suggestion that boxed meals will substitute dinner. It's just another option for other parts of the ship if you want it. Some might actually prefer it too from a health perspective. 

These are extremely demanding times for everyone and I think we need to wait and see what transpires before making comments. If I know the efforts of the hotel staff onboard this is not going to be just a meal in a box. 

Phil 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

There is no suggestion that boxed meals will substitute dinner. It's just another option for other parts of the ship if you want it. Some might actually prefer it too from a health perspective. 

These are extremely demanding times for everyone and I think we need to wait and see what transpires before making comments. If I know the efforts of the hotel staff onboard this is not going to be just a meal in a box. 

Phil 

I agree, and sometimes the chance to pick up a nice sandwich and some fruit at lunchtime would be great. A boxed breakfast would be good if you have an early shore excursion.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I agree, and sometimes the chance to pick up a nice sandwich and some fruit at lunchtime would be great. A boxed breakfast would be good if you have an early shore excursion.

At lunchtime we often did get a sandwich made up at Windows and take it back to the room to enjoy a little quiet time.  I agree a pick up box would be brilliant especially if we could also take a bottle of wine back to the balcony as well 🙂 

And yes, a boxed breakfast based on the products from Mosaic would save DH having to go and gather it all up as he used to do as I am "slow" in the morning

Edited by uktog
  • Like 6

Very encouraged by today's CDC announcement, masks no longer required for fully vaccinated people, indoors and out, social distancing or not.

Will be interested to see cascading impact on cruise line procedures.

A hint of optimism.   Worthy of a cocktail.   Cheers.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Back to the topic in hand - for those in the UK, the NHS App now shows your vaccine record.

Not wishing to be a downer....but no use for NHS Scotland who still have no official way of showing your records.  There is a work around to the official record which I can share if people need it immediately.  The Scottish government are very keen to discourage overseas travel and I suspect the absence of a functioning app may be a subtle dissuasion tactic 

Well for the yellow fever it was good enough to have a paper version as proof of vaccination. In Norway we have that, -and also the NHS vaccination page on your computer or smartphone. We still have no app, but they are working on it toogether with EU.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Back to the topic in hand - for those in the UK, the NHS App now shows your vaccine record.

For those without a smartphone or who want a paper version you can phone 119 in England to get a paper version.

The Patient Access app was changed about a week ago to show Covid vaccine status on the Home Screen, it is possibly better than the NHS app as it shows your name, NHS number and Covid vaccination status on a single page.

Edited by Riocca
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Thanks for that. I hadn't downloaded the NHS app. Now done and I see my vaccine record👍

Phil 

Yes, many thanks for the heads up.  App downloaded and 1st jab date showing.  I have the 2nd jab Tuesday and so will check it’s updated at the end of the week. 🙏

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Yes, many thanks for the heads up.  App downloaded and 1st jab date showing.  I have the 2nd jab Tuesday and so will check it’s updated at the end of the week. 🙏

I get my 2nd a week today🙏👍. Good luck with yours. It feels great to get them done. 

Phil 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I get my 2nd a week today🙏👍. Good luck with yours. It feels great to get them done. 

Phil 

Totally agree Phil, like getting a key to unlock a treasure trove.  Hope all goes well next Saturday 🤞. Many thanks 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royallondon said:

Totally agree Phil, like getting a key to unlock a treasure trove.  Hope all goes well next Saturday 🤞. Many thanks 👍

It is indeed and the fact Azamara is insisting on full vaccination makes all this the golden key to the way back, possibly even with independent onshore time. Fingers crossed for everyone 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Riocca said:

For those without a smartphone or who want a paper version you can phone 119 in England to get a paper version.

The Patient Access app was changed about a week ago to show Covid vaccine status on the Home Screen, it is possibly better than the NHS app as it shows your name, NHS number and Covid vaccination status on a single page.

The Patient App sounds really good. Unfortunately our GP practice doesn’t allow Patient Access to link with it, so we can’t use it to show our vaccine status.

4 hours ago, royallondon said:

My NHS app updated within 24 hours of my second jab. At the time it showed in my health record under innoculations but, as has been pointed out, there is now a separate tab just for Covid vaccine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Back on Topic

We are booked on the first Journey sailing out of Athens on 13th October and  will fly into Athens on the 12th.
If we have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight  and then within 72 hours of the cruise it would be extremely difficult if not impossible  and very expensive to arrange and that's before your mind starts playing with the possibility of false positive results.

The Azamara Explore Well information is contradictory regarding testing.
In one section it states that all guests will be required to provide a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result.
In another section it states that they will be guided by the Local Ministry of Health to determine if SARS-Cov-2 testing will be required for guests.
Which is it and how are Azamara going to help facilitate the testing.?

Whilst I appreciate that these are difficult times  in 6 weeks  we will have to make our final payment.  We very much like the Azamara experience and although we have  concerns  being on the "first cruise" with lots of unknowns the issue regarding testing is a real deal breaker. 

I would also add that an important part of our holiday is to do self arranged sightseeing and again this would be a deal breaker if the only way you can leave the ship is on an Azamara Excursion.

I just hope that we get more clarity in the next 6 weeks. 
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, laser2000 said:

I would also add that an important part of our holiday is to do self arranged sightseeing and again this would be a deal breaker if the only way you can leave the ship is on an Azamara Excursion.

We are booking a two night side safari mid cruise on our 12/21/21 Pursuit sailing.  Not inexpensive, not refundable.  So it would be nice if Azamara could confirm that independent exploration and reboarding is OK with them, as it is with South Africa.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, laser2000 said:

Back on Topic

We are booked on the first Journey sailing out of Athens on 13th October and  will fly into Athens on the 12th.
If we have to take a PCR test within 72 hours of the flight  and then within 72 hours of the cruise it would be extremely difficult if not impossible  and very expensive to arrange and that's before your mind starts playing with the possibility of false positive results.

The Azamara Explore Well information is contradictory regarding testing.
In one section it states that all guests will be required to provide a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result.
In another section it states that they will be guided by the Local Ministry of Health to determine if SARS-Cov-2 testing will be required for guests.
Which is it and how are Azamara going to help facilitate the testing.?

Whilst I appreciate that these are difficult times  in 6 weeks  we will have to make our final payment.  We very much like the Azamara experience and although we have  concerns  being on the "first cruise" with lots of unknowns the issue regarding testing is a real deal breaker. 

we have done some research and find that in our area we can get a PCR test with results in 3-6 hours ( not inexpensive).  So depending upon the availability of tests in your area it is possible that 1 test could be sufficient for both.  Some airports have testing facilities with even quicker turn-around times on tests, so if you live close to one of those that would be ideal.

7 hours ago, jelayne said:

we have done some research and find that in our area we can get a PCR test with results in 3-6 hours ( not inexpensive).  So depending upon the availability of tests in your area it is possible that 1 test could be sufficient for both.  Some airports have testing facilities with even quicker turn-around times on tests, so if you live close to one of those that would be ideal.

Wow, all our test centres say 24 hours as a minimum.