The Daily for Thursday May 13, 2021

richwmn

Today is Frog Jumping Day, International Hummus Day, and Leprechaun Day

Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen. - Albert Einstein

Meal suggestion for today - Cilantro Lime Chicken Wings

Drink of the Day - Hemlock Cocktail

Wine of the day - Le Grand Courtage Brut - France - Sparkling

Port of the Day - Saguenay Quebec Canada

At Sea English Channel
Eurodam Destination Ijmuiden NL eta 5/14

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Destination Los Angeles eta 5/13
Noordam Drifting off Tijuana MX

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay BS
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Torquay UK
Oosterdam

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0513rotterdam.thumb.png.b61827cc509413e35498a27ac702721a.png

0513USA.thumb.png.ae51edc554384c95afecad6d7c02f25c.png

0513Europe.thumb.png.1d901188c5ad5f879c500dfaeabd391e.png

• Like 35
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  Love the Einstein Quote.  I'm not sure I've  cruised to the town of Saguenay but the fjord it sits on is awesome.  The chicken wings sound great.  My alternative is Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet, Oven Roasted Beef Ternderloin with Button Mushrooms, and Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart, the Mariner Brunch dish on my May, 2016 Veendam cruise to Bermuda.

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/beef.jpg

https://solocabinchallenge.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/tart.jpg

Roy

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and thanks for the daily report. Frog jumping day sounds fun, hummus is ok and I would love to cross paths with a leprechaun.  The wings sound delicious but the drink, deadly.  I’ve never thought of tying my shoes as a prejudice but whatever.  I’ve sailed past today’s port but not to it, someday perhaps.  Prayers to everyone in need and a special  one for Roy, good luck tomorrow.  Have a nice Thursday daily friends!

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Since there’s a wee bit of Irish heritage in me, I’ll happily celebrate Leprechaun day.

Great Einstein quote and the meal suggestion sounds tempting while the drink of the day sounds poisonous 😉   I have a feeling the wine of the day will have a high price tag!

We’ve been to Saguenay but not on a cruise.  It’s a very pretty spot IMO.  

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy (rafinmd) facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye issues & CT scan

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD quick recovery from concussion

NextOne’s DH  undergoing radiation to try to eliminate lesions & recovering from surgery

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s recovery from knee surgery and her challenge caring for him

ger_77’s DS reaction from the jab

Hoping VMax1700’s DW’s new medication from the oncologist does the trick

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

summer slope’s news that her DGD & parents are visiting in August

mamaofami’s two 15 year olds next in line for the “jab”

Appointment for 1st jab for StLouisCruisers 14 yr old DGS

No major side effects from the jab for bennybear’s DS

Highland chaser 1957’s DD getting her first jab

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Garden Club reminder.....don’t forget to dead head your spring bulbs after they have finished flowering (tulips, narcissus, daffodils, hyacinth, etc) so the plants put the energy back into their bulbs for next year.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them (and an extra one for Roy for tomorrow) & 🥂 for everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

CA1CB577-AB56-4F48-820B-ACF42C74E549.jpeg.60f0f22f93187f3b0ea537c30555d735.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Good morning!

Frog jumping day sound like a lot of fun.  I'll pass on the hummus and look for a leprechaun.  I think the drink sounds interesting.  Hopefully, not too sweet.   

My back is screaming today because of the work I did in the garden yesterday.   I dug four holes and put plants in them.  I guess my back doesn't like digging holes.  I have four more to go, but they are going to have to wait a day.  Today I'm going for pool therapy.  

The chicken wings sound wonderful.  These are done on the grill, but one poster said she did them in the air fryer and that sounds like it would be a great alternative.

https://damndelicious.net/2019/10/01/cilantro-lime-chicken-wings/

Cilantro-Lime-Chicken-WingsIMG_0559.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Very interesting group of days.  Not sure about the quote.  The Meal looks really good.  Thank you Jacqui for doing a wonderful job for Roy, and the garden club tip.  Great addition to our wonderful thread.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hemlock Cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 pieces orange peel
2 vanilla beans, split in half 
2 sugar cubes 
4 dashes bitters 
4 ounces bourbon 
2 orange slices, for garnish 
In two rocks glasses, muddle the orange peel, vanilla beans and sugar cubes with the bitters. Add in the bourbon and some ice. Garnish with an orange slice.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.18.11 AM.png

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Many of us were hit by the appliance curse in the past year.   I had to replace every appliance I own except my vintage microwave.  It is still warming my coffee nicely.

Maybe it was really a blessing as there is now an appliance shortage and prices are rising!   I remember getting a very good deal on mine.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/rebound/experts-say-5-10-price-hike-underway-for-household-appliances

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. I’ve been up since 5 am because I couldn’t fall back to sleep after a bathroom run. My mind just kept ruminating over everything.

we finally heard from our accountant that he’s been ill and couldn’t finalize our tax return. He put us on an extension which is fine since we didn’t owe anything. We usually go on an extension anyway because coming back from Florida the end of March, we can never get everything together in time. What concerns me is he said he presumes he is having a reaction to the vaccine and not covid but can’t see a doctor till after Monday when he finishes whatever returns he can get to. I’m hoping he’s ok.

One of my 15 year old grandsons is scheduled for his first shot this Sunday. The other one will probably get it next week.

Jacqui, thanks for doing such a good job with our lists.Roy, thinking of you today and wishing you a successful surgery and easy recovery.

Finally, a port I’ve been to several times, but can’t find any pictures.

Stay well and safe out there.

Carol

• Like 23

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Keeping you in my prayers, Roy! What a great collection of days!

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Thank you for keeping our lists, Jacqui! The meal looks good, as does the drink - but what a name!

A few sprinkles this morning during Bindi’s and my walk. Eggplant cutlets for me for dinner.  Another busy day - weather permitting. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

This wine seems to have a decent price. Found a couple places online with $20.00 prices, but you might find it for less locally. I would definitely like to try this wine.

Winemaker Notes

The bouquet presents hints of green apple, honeysuckle, and toasted brioche. On the palate, a delicate balance of dryness and acidity lingers with a bit of Meyer lemon, honeydew, and soft floral notes. 

The Blanc de Blancs Brut is very cuisine and cocktail-friendly. Try it with savory hors d'oeuvres, buttered popcorn, creamy pasta dishes, fried chicken, spicy Asian dishes, seafood, fruit-based desserts, or semi-soft cheese. Mix with elderflower or fruit liqueurs, or fresh juice and quality spirits for a light, refreshing sparkling cocktail.

The Blend: Chardonnay imparts depth and complexity for the overall balance while Chenin Blanc lends citrus and hints of honey for a creamy texture. Colombard's higher acidity provides structure, length, and a pleasant minerality that is supplemented by the Ugni Blanc's fruit profile. Grapes are sourced from quality terroirs in France, such as Burgundy and Loire Valley.

TP93 Tasting Panel: Sourced from vineyards in Burgundy, Languedoc, and the Loire Valley, this blend of 45% Chardonnay, 10% Chenin Blanc, 15% Colombard, and 30% Ugni Blanc offers up the most delicate bubbles. Aromas of Bosc pear and croissant lead to notes of candied pineapple, lemon meringue, and white flowers followed by a long, mineral-driven finish. The feel of the baby bubbles on the palate and the great price point put this French sparkler in an elevated category of charm and elegance.

WW91 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The Le Grand Courtâge Grande Cuvée Blanc de Blancs is an attractive sparkling wine with a pleasing, soft-touch on the palate. TASTING NOTES: This wine offers soft apple and light earthy notes in its aromas and flavors. Serve it with light appetizers. 

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the Daily.

After several lovely days on the Florida Panhandle coast and in New Orleans, the fierce thunderstorms have made some driving days painful.  It took an hour to drive about 20 miles yesterday as the downpours abound Tallahassee required the traffic to slow to 25 mph as times and we still couldn't see much.  Today is just rain in JAX, so indoor activities at a few museums.  Off to Savannah tomorrow for a lovely weekend.

Prayers to all on the care list with a special prayer for Roy and everyone who needs one.  Best wishes to all.

Now to catch up on the past week.

• Like 20

Good morning all!

Missed doing a real check-in yesterday as it was my follow up for my first drug trial dose.

Interesting days. Frog jumping makes me think of Mark Twain. My kids introduced me to hummus. While out walking at the end of a rain shower one day, I saw a rainbow ending in the field. I hurried toward it, but it disappeared, so no leprechaun, no pot of gold.

Both the drink and the wine sound delicious, I’ll skip the wings. Will be having leftovers from our late lunch yesterday on the way home from the hospital.

I have been to Canada so many times, but never further east than Winnipeg. I need to fix that.

Belated thank you to the limerick writers yesterday! Despite being an English Lit major, writing poetry in any form is not my talent, so I just read the work of others. 

Continued prayers for all on our care list 🙏. (My prayer list has gotten longer, including a friend with multiple eye surgeries due to a hole in her macula and a friend recovering from a liver transplant.)  I pray for the skill of the medical professionals, the blessings of good caregivers, and healing for all. And I raised a glass of 🍷yesterday at lunch to our celebration list, I will wait until dinner today 😉.

Take care all

St Louis Sal

P.S. The thought of the Noordam “drifting” off Tijuana makes me think of a ghost ship.

• Like 23

Thanks for the daily Rich. Love the quote of the day. I wonder what Socrates would say about the drink of the day?

Special thoughts and prayers for Roy as he prepares for his big day tomorrow.

Jim

• Like 19

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Thursday Daily, Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  Love the Einstein Quote.  I'm not sure I've  cruised to the town of Saguenay but the fjord it sits on is awesome.  The chicken wings sound great.  My alternative is Apple and Pear Gazpacho with Passion Fruit Sorbet, Oven Roasted Beef Ternderloin with Button Mushrooms, and Key Lime and White Chocolate Tart, the Mariner Brunch dish on my May, 2016 Veendam cruise to Bermuda.

Roy

Roy:

You will be in my prayers nd thoughts tomorrow. All the best to you.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  Since there’s a wee bit of Irish heritage in me, I’ll happily celebrate Leprechaun day.

Great Einstein quote and the meal suggestion sounds tempting while the drink of the day sounds poisonous 😉   I have a feeling the wine of the day will have a high price tag!

We’ve been to Saguenay but not on a cruise.  It’s a very pretty spot IMO.  

Today’s Care List:

Kakalina

Roy (rafinmd) facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

India

JazzyV eye issues & CT scan

Garlictown difficult recovery from arm surgery

Sharon in AZ’s DGD quick recovery from concussion

NextOne’s DH  undergoing radiation to try to eliminate lesions & recovering from surgery

Dani Negreanu - CC poster in Israel facing the bomb strikes

StLouisCruisers’s DS surgery recovery & her DB facing surgery

57redbird’s DH’s recovery from knee surgery and her challenge caring for him

ger_77’s DS reaction from the jab

Hoping VMax1700’s DW’s new medication from the oncologist does the trick

Highland Chaser 1957’s DH dental work & her BIL in ICU

Today’s Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

summer slope’s news that her DGD & parents are visiting in August

mamaofami’s two 15 year olds next in line for the “jab”

Appointment for 1st jab for StLouisCruisers 14 yr old DGS

No major side effects from the jab for bennybear’s DS

Highland chaser 1957’s DD getting her first jab

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain (I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Garden Club reminder.....don’t forget to dead head your spring bulbs after they have finished flowering (tulips, narcissus, daffodils, hyacinth, etc) so the plants put the energy back into their bulbs for next year.

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them (and an extra one for Roy for tomorrow) & 🥂 for everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday everyone!!!

CA1CB577-AB56-4F48-820B-ACF42C74E549.jpeg.60f0f22f93187f3b0ea537c30555d735.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Thanks or the care and shout out list, Jacqui!   I cannot pass for a Leprechaun as I am too big!  However I am very Irish!

• Like 10

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Very interesting group of days.  Not sure about the quote.  The Meal looks really good.  Thank you Jacqui for doing a wonderful job for Roy, and the garden club tip.  Great addition to our wonderful thread.

Prayers and toasts for our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Hemlock Cocktail:

Ingredients:
2 pieces orange peel
2 vanilla beans, split in half 
2 sugar cubes 
4 dashes bitters 
4 ounces bourbon 
2 orange slices, for garnish 
In two rocks glasses, muddle the orange peel, vanilla beans and sugar cubes with the bitters. Add in the bourbon and some ice. Garnish with an orange slice.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 7.18.11 AM.png

Sounds good

• Like 4

Good Morning Everyone from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

Looks like some of those storms are heading this way. Need the rain so hope so.

We do frog jumps in water aerobics but did not know it had its own day.

I found out that it is the Carnival Liberty at Port Canaveral and the crew is getting vaccinated. They are getting the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. Another ship is coming and Royal Caribbean is expected next week. They can do 1700 a day. So hopefully!!!!

Roy special prayers for you . We will all be waiting to hear the news. Please know that even though we do not know each other, we care about you and hope for a full recovery.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Prayers and best wishes for tomorrow, Roy.  Doctors are absolutely marvelous at what they do.

On a very positive note, Roy, I guess you have heard that Gov Hogan is opening the Port of Baltimore this Saturday?  Hopefully this means that there will be a ship sailing out of there relatively soon.  Katherine

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!  It is sunny but was a chilly 45F when I awoke early today.  I feel like I'm late today - either that or you are all early!  

The port of Saguenay, Canada is one I would love to see.  Our trips along the St. Lawrence have passed right by that area.  Thank you in advance for any photos posted today.

Frog Jumping Day reminds me of when we lived in Williamsburg, Virginia and sometimes in the spring the frogs would emerge from the wetlands and hop across the roadways.  One night I was carpooling a bunch of kids from the movies and we heard them hitting the underneath of our car as we drove home.  It was a nasty mess on that roadway!  Sorry everyone for that visual!  

International Hummus Day I will pass on but I would love to see a leprechaun especially if he was carrying a pot of gold!  The menu sounds good but I am tempted by @rafinmd Roy's Mariners Luncheon menu instead.  Yum!

YAY! for the Garden Club reminder!!  (That's me being a cheerleader)   Seriously, good sound advice from @kazu both yesterday and today.

As for the Care list, I hope that we can whittle it down because it's getting way too long.  Prayers to all on that list and extra prayers to @rafinmdfor a quick recovery from his procedure tomorrow.  Great news for all on the Celebration list, and I'm glad to see so many vaccinations listed there.  The more we vaccinate the better off we'll all be.

Off to begin my day.

• Like 23

26 minutes ago, Himself said:

Why is the NOORDAM drifting?

46 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

P.S. The thought of the Noordam “drifting” off Tijuana makes me think of a ghost ship.

I think the term "drifting" is used when the ship is at sea, not at an established anchorage, under power with no specific destination. The term has been used a couple of times over the past few months.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, baltic17 said:

Thanks all for the Daily.

After several lovely days on the Florida Panhandle coast and in New Orleans, the fierce thunderstorms have made some driving days painful.  It took an hour to drive about 20 miles yesterday as the downpours abound Tallahassee required the traffic to slow to 25 mph as times and we still couldn't see much.  Today is just rain in JAX, so indoor activities at a few museums.  Off to Savannah tomorrow for a lovely weekend.

Prayers to all on the care list with a special prayer for Roy and everyone who needs one.  Best wishes to all.

Now to catch up on the past week.

Welcome to the East Coast!

• Like 8