DeSantis is OK with NCL leaving Florida

coaster

26 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

IIRC, the reduced capacities were intended to phase out over the first month of sailing.  Starting at 80% and going to 100% after a couple of cruises.

Thanks.  You jogged my memory.  Now, I recall those numbers, too!

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I was thinking about Farmer since he is sailing out of the DR and it looks like the rodent pack thread has been deleted? 

Did any other port require you to upload the vaccine card or just Bahamas?

Yes, it was "nuked".

Yeah, I know that Farmer guy really well 😉. If you're interested in joining, I can give you the site on where to join the "rodent pack". Just shoot me an e-mail at;  martycp60@gmail.com

So far, just the Bahamas. It may be too early for Dom Rep since the Norwegian Gem cruise isn't until Sept. Not sure what Dom Rep will require.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I had heard sailing at 50% capacity from a couple of different sources.  The proof of COVID vaccine has been consistent.    Prices are going up on my August 28th cruise on the Joy.  I'm assuming they are nearing that 50% capacity range.

50% capacity on a full size cruise ship? Wow, throw me in that briar patch!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, texasaggies said:

50% capacity on a full size cruise ship? Wow, throw me in that briar patch!

I have not seen any communication from NCL committing to 50%- I suspect this is just more fake news being puppeted by those who refuse to read critically. 

The 50% limit was probably referring to the UK start-ups... From May 17 Maximum limits are 50% or 1000 passengers whichever lowest.

Currently MSC Virtuosa is on its second UK cruise under these restrictions. (So there is a LOT of space on that one.)

If all goes to UK Gov plans June 21 will see lifting of all restrictions & cruise ships back to normal capacity if they wish, but still UK only residents around UK ports.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gatrbait said:

Has anyone heard anything new about NCL pulling out of FL? I have a November cruise booked and it is out of Miami....

Imo, there is going to be some kind of work around or compromise/agreement with DeSantis and the cruise lines that sail out of Florida. There is too much $$ at stake, for both the cruise lines and the state of Florida (tax revenue). NCL won't be pulling out of Fla.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, texasaggies said:

Imo, there is going to be some kind of work around or compromise/agreement with DeSantis and the cruise lines that sail out of Florida. There is too much $$ at stake, for both the cruise lines and the state of Florida (tax revenue). NCL won't be pulling out of Fla.

I agree. I also think NCL will be allowed to require 100% vaccines, and Desantis will back down!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I think November cruises were always going to sail out of FL.

NCL isn't pulling out of Fla. They just built a huge new state of the art terminal last year. Desantis won't be able to stop cruises vaccines or not.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gatrbait said:

Has anyone heard anything new about NCL pulling out of FL? I have a November cruise booked and it is out of Miami....

I think it wont be any issue at all, since it is after the CSO is due to expire.  I think November will be the first month of cruising more or less as it was before covid.  Think full ships, everything open.  I still think the buffet stays with the servers out front, and in my mind that is a smart move for the lines to eliminate some of the other outbreaks they have dealt with in years past.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I agree. I also think NCL will be allowed to require 100% vaccines, and Desantis will back down!

I think Frank eats crow. NCL either changes the policy or Frank changes his language from "mandatory" to "goal" or "aspiration".

24 minutes ago, CroozFanatic said:

I think Frank eats crow. NCL either changes the policy or Frank changes his language from "mandatory" to "goal" or "aspiration".

I don't see how NCL can change their policy through October.  They announced 100% vaccinated requirement and those of us who are vaccinated welcomed this.  Not because we're afraid of catching Covid, but because we're concerned about a handful of on-board cases screwing up our vacations. 

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I don't see how NCL can change their policy through October.  They announced 100% vaccinated requirement and those of us who are vaccinated welcomed this.  Not because we're afraid of catching Covid, but because we're concerned about a handful of on-board cases screwing up our vacations. 

NCL will often change policy for the sole purpose of generating money- they all do. I’m not suggesting that ncl will change the 💯 vaccination requirement, but they could. Absolutely nothing surprised me anymore.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

FDR just said it again today on a CNBC interview.  He said it won't stay that way, but that is how they plan to start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

FDR just said it again today on a CNBC interview.  He said it won't stay that way, but that is how they plan to start.

That makes sense. My next question would be, that is how they plan to start out of Alaska... does they mean it’s how they plan to start out of Florida? Is the work around sailing from another state out of the gate? 

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL will often change policy for the sole purpose of generating money- they all do. I’m not suggesting that ncl will change the 💯 vaccination requirement, but they could. Absolutely nothing surprised me anymore.

That's just it.  I think they would lose money by doing that.  They would also take on potential liability, which their lawyers just hate.  Most people who really want to cruise will get vaccinated if for no other reason.  There are, of course, exceptions.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

That makes sense. My next question would be, that is how they plan to start out of Alaska... does they mean it’s how they plan to start out of Florida? Is the work around sailing from another state out of the gate? 

In the interview he was broad, he said that is how they would start in the United States.  It is available to watch on CNBC's site if you like.  Now if you are going to argue what "starts" means, well, no one can tell us that today.  I would argue it means until October 31st.  my guess is you are saying you think it means for the first cruise out of the US in Washington state?

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

That's just it.  I think they would lose money by doing that.  They would also take on potential liability, which their lawyers just hate.  Most people who really want to cruise will get vaccinated if for no other reason.  There are, of course, exceptions.

I hear you, I really do. It makes sense. But it is also possible  that ncl might want to market to kids who are of an age that can’t be vaccinated. There is some speculation that is one of the reasons sales have been soft. I’m not a ncl number cruncher, but I suspect the numbers will tell the story.

At this point I just don’t think anything is completely off the table.

• Like 3

Just now, oteixeira said:

In the interview he was broad, he said that is how they would start in the United States.  It is available to watch on CNBC's site if you like.  Now if you are going to argue what "starts" means, well, no one can tell us that today.  I would argue it means until October 31st.  my guess is you are saying you think it means for the first cruise out of the US in Washington state?

I think we are on the same page. I’ve said all along the most likely scenario for restarting  USA sailings is after the cdc offer actually expires (nov 1). 

The Alaska tourism redemption act made me rethink that start date. Especially if both Alaska and Washington state support 💯 vaccination (that the cruises want to start initially)

Couldn't Starting in Alaska be the work around? I THiNk there is a work around to get cruising started in the USA before Nov 1st. Every option is still on the table until ncl tells us what they are planning. 

Basically; This is what I know-..... I do know that I don’t know squat :). 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I hear you, I really do. It makes sense. But it is also possible  that ncl might want to market to kids who are of an age that can’t be vaccinated. There is some speculation that is one of the reasons sales have been soft. I’m not a ncl number cruncher, but I suspect the numbers will tell the story.

At this point I just don’t think anything is completely off the table.

I've been on a number of cruise and, quite honestly, I don't remember seeing any kids.  I'm sure they were there, but it's just not going to be a profit driver; especially when they stay free in their parents room but still consume food, space, etc.  We'll soon see how fast the Bliss books.  As of today, the prices are still the same as when I booked over a week ago, so it doesn't look like a stampede (yet).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CaptainWoody said:

I've been on a number of cruise and, quite honestly, I don't remember seeing any kids.  I'm sure they were there, but it's just not going to be a profit driver; especially when they stay free in their parents room but still consume food, space, etc.  We'll soon see how fast the Bliss books.  As of today, the prices are still the same as when I booked over a week ago, so it doesn't look like a stampede (yet).

I hope that we can disagree and remain friendly. I disagree on two accounts, but maybe you and i can start a drink tally in the event we ever cruise together. I think children are a huge market draw. Maybe not the kids themselves, but parents of kids spend lots of money. Second- I’m thinking of sailing on the Bliss in Sept or October. I’m betting prices decrease significantly from what they are today. Time will tell, but let’s make a friendly drink wager. Of course, with the drink package there isn’t much at stake 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1