Home Affairs Says All Foreign-Flagged Cruise Ships Must Employ Aussie Staff

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Is it pride of America? The ship that everyone talks about that is crewed by America’s so it can operate in Hawaii.

I haven’t been on it but the talk is the crew aren’t so good.
Surly ,lazy and not very passionate .

Thats what we can expect.

That is what Americans tourists always say about service in Australia😂. I have never had anything I would consider bad service in Australia but it is definitely not as enthusiastic as American service however I have never been a fan of the enthusiasm. I don't want people pretending to be my friend just be cordial and I'm happy😉

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That is what Americans tourists always say about service in Australia😂. I have never had anything I would consider bad service in Australia but it is definitely not as enthusiastic as American service however I have never been a fan of the enthusiasm. I don't want people pretending to be my friend just be cordial and I'm happy😉

The philpinos and other Asian countries are loving and warm .

22 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Same. At least Australian service is genuine. I don't need someone kissing my a$$.  I hate the fact that in America wait staff are so over the top for tips, as they so desperately need them for survival, because their wages are so low. 

As an aside, when I did work in hospitality, my mother once was taken to hospital by paramedics after almost dying from asthma. The day after she was admitted to hospital and still recovering, I was working in a restaurant. Well at work, I had to serve an American couple who got quite nasty because I wasn't 'perky' enough for them. I almost collapsed into tears as I was just holding it together. It's a hard and underpaid job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, christodan said:

Same. At least Australian service is genuine. I don't need someone kissing my a$$.  I hate the fact that in America wait staff are so over the top for tips, as they so desperately need them for survival, because their wages are so low. 

As an aside, when I did work in hospitality, my mother once was taken to hospital by paramedics after almost dying from asthma. The day after she was admitted to hospital and still recovering, I was working in a restaurant. Well at work, I had to serve an American couple who got quite nasty because I wasn't 'perky' enough for them. I almost collapsed into tears as I was just holding it together. It's a hard and underpaid job.

Totally agree, the OTT service in USA for the gratuity grab. I have been on several ships from the USA and been to a few US Cities, plus Hawaii. Some eating places now want 25% gratuity, on the docket, like tick the box, 15%, 20%, 25% in Honolulu. They don't get it from moi, 10% if they deserve it, like I tip in Straya. Not my problem if the wait staff are working for $5 an hour plus grats.

Edited by NSWP

17 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

The philpinos and other Asian countries are loving and warm .

Speak for your own family😜, mine are more like varying degrees of tiger mums😂 (but it is all out of love 🤗 ) . For me as long as a job is done well I don't need to be fawned over. You bring my plate of food to the table still warm, I'm happy. My room is cleaned when I get back, I'm happy. If I have an enquiry and you answer it, I'm, happy. Done need a song and dance. Maybe I am just too low maintenance to truly appreciate service😂

I think you’re missed my point.

If we have Australian crew cleaning and serving for low rates on our ships here .The service wouldn’t be as good as people from developing countries.

That is the experience of people I’ve talked to about the ship Pride of America as a example.Not on land.

16 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I think you’re missed my point.

If we have Australian crew cleaning and serving for low rates on our ships here .The service wouldn’t be as good as people from developing countries.

That is the experience of people I’ve talked to about the ship Pride of America as a example.Not on land.

But what does that mean not as good? That they don't smile enough or your food never makes it to the table? 

13 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I cant see this happing, as if they do no one will want to go on the cruises as it will be too costly for families etc.. to go on them.

That right ,the price will have to go up to meet our award or the service will come down.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

But what does that mean not as good? That they don't smile enough or your food never makes it to the table? 

I haven’t been on the pride of America but from talking to people it’s all of the above.

Waiting at the bar for 10 minutes while the server is doing a crossword.

Your cabin isn’t attended to.

Surly food service.

One person told me about the suite party where the American captain and his staff come in walked around the room and announced he wouldn’t be bothered and had better things to do.

Its the Union Labour.

12 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I haven’t been on the pride of America but from talking to people it’s all of the above.

Surly food service.

One person told me about the suite party where the American captain and his staff come in walked around the room and announced he wouldn’t be bothered and had better things to do.

Its the Union Labour.

Mind you we had that on Norwegian Jewel at the start of 2020.  Same thing, Captain and officers were just not interested in mixing.  Looked at us all with contempt and left fairly quickly.

44 minutes ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

I suspect there's a fair bit of spin in this article.  Isn't the actual problem that your borders are closed and, like NZ, non-essential workers are not permitted into the country.  This cruise passenger site has a definite agenda, which is not surprising.  With no cruising they must be feeling the pinch.

3 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Mind you we had that on Norwegian Jewel at the start of 2020.  Same thing, Captain and officers were just not interested in mixing.  Looked at us all with contempt and left fairly quickly.

I’ve seen that also on Royal Caribbean.

The crown & anchor party. American staff, just didn’t want to be there .

28 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Surly food service.

Its the Union Labour.

We've had incidences like this on various local cruises but just one or two people, and not on every cruise. Princess, Celebrity, RCI, Carnival. 

1 hour ago, onlyslightlymad said:

These guys were European.  

I can’t remember the name but it was Royal senior captain  from Miami.

I remember him walking in and saying,he started as a bouncer and worked his way up ,a lot of smart comments and then walking out Saying A holes.

Just didn’t want to be there.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've had incidences like this on various local cruises but just one or two people, and not on every cruise. Princess, Celebrity, RCI, Carnival. 

But if it’s local crew ,we get the union’s involved.

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Coral Expeditions is a very small 'cruise line' that operates (as far as I know) totally in Australian waters. It is also very expensive.

I was just pointing out that there are Australians who will work on cruise ships contrary to some posts. They started to move into international waters with their two new ships before the plague hit.  

• Like 1

Just now, Patois said:

I was just pointing out that there are Australians who will work on cruise ships contrary to some posts. They started to move into international waters with their two new ships before the plague hit.  

I dont see a problem here. I mean these people need to get out and start working. If its the only possible way at the moment I see nothing wrong with it 

30 minutes ago, Patois said:

Also the river cruise boats are all Australian crewed but they are tiny compared with the average mass market cruise ship. 

32 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I dont see a problem here. I mean these people need to get out and start working. If its the only possible way at the moment I see nothing wrong with it 

What people are you referring to? There is already a serious shortage of restaurant and hotel staff in Australia so finding enough people to work on cruise ships would be almost impossible.

• Like 2