Which Cruise Port in New York

Sophie's Mom1

9 minutes ago, Sophie's Mom1 said:

I have read that Oceania leaves from both Brooklyn and Manhattan ports. Does anyone know for sure? I am checking out nearby pre-cruise hotels.

I don't ever recall them using Brooklyn but that's not to say they won't in the future. As was suggested have your TA call Oceania. 

Our cruise isn't until next summer, so there's lots of time. The TA company we used says Brooklyn, but this site says Manhattan.

Great idea, I will check the Port Authority website and NYC cruise website this summer. Thanks all.

11 minutes ago, Sophie's Mom1 said:

Our cruise isn't until next summer, so there's lots of time. The TA company we used says Brooklyn, but this site says Manhattan.

Great idea, I will check the Port Authority website and NYC cruise website this summer. Thanks all.

Until  the CDC gives the OK to cruise lines  I would make sure your arrangements are refundable

JMO

1 hour ago, Sophie's Mom1 said:

If you go to the Port Authority website you're just going to be told to go to the NY cruise port site because the cruise terminals, although part of the Port of NY, are managed by a different agency, NYCEDC, the NY City Economic Development Corporation . The direct link to the cruise terminal website is https://www.nycruise.com/ .

I remember our dearly departed Stan aka Stan&Jim talking about sailing out of Brooklyn. A lot of those posts were seriously dated however and one never knew of which decade ( or Century) of which he was referring. Seems in the present era Oceania predominantly goes out of Manhattan. As sailing draws nearer your TA will be the best choice of information.

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I remember our dearly departed Stan aka Stan&Jim talking about sailing out of Brooklyn. A lot of those posts were seriously dated however and one never knew of which decade ( or Century) of which he was referring. Seems in the present era Oceania predominantly goes out of Manhattan. As sailing draws nearer your TA will be the best choice of information.

Jim is the cruising expert who passed away. We only began sailing in 2008 and indeed sailed with him in this century. I learned a great deal of information from Jim and the late Don Horner on this board. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ChappChapp said:

We have sailed out of New York twice, both times from  Manhattan. Once to Bermuda and the other time to New England. Larger ships usually sail from Brooklyn like Cunard.

Not really based on the ship size. I think it just depends on which cruise lines.

Brooklyn: Cunard and Princess

Manhattan: NCLH (NCL + Oceania + Regent) and Carnival Cruise Lines

Bayonne: RCG (Royal Caribbean + Celebrity)

unless there are berth conflicts, then they may rarely move to other ports.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Laszlo said:

NCL uses Pier 88. I personally love sailing out of there. Easy to get to, parking is a breeze

Personally i prefer Bayonne because parking is cheaper and the easiest to get to, Manhattan second (not much harder to get to but parking is more expensive.  Brooklyn is just a pain.

Manhattan is probably better if you do not have a car. 

We will either fly into La Guardia, or do the seven hour drive. In the past we have parked at the ferry parking garage in Weehawken and hopped a ferry into Manhatten. Cheaper and less stress. 

We are very excited about trying Oceania. Our experience has always been on mega ships, so this will be a nice change! Hopefully, it won't be rough sailing!

• Like 1

There was an instance a year or two ago (before Covid) where a last minute change happened with an O ship where suddenly the ship was leaving from Brooklyn.  There were people boarding who had NOT been informed.  I do think everyone got there in time.

But in general, I agree that the ships leave from Manhattan. Still, it's a good idea to check at the last minute. You never know. Whenever we have left from NYC (or arrived here) we've been at the Manhattan port.

Since we live nearby the Brooklyn port we wouldn't mind boarding or leaving from there but it's never happened ...

Mura

On 5/18/2021 at 9:50 PM, Sophie's Mom1 said:

We will either fly into La Guardia, or do the seven hour drive. In the past we have parked at the ferry parking garage in Weehawken and hopped a ferry into Manhatten. Cheaper and less stress. 

We are very excited about trying Oceania. Our experience has always been on mega ships, so this will be a nice change! Hopefully, it won't be rough sailing!

This is our first Oceania cruise also.  We will probably take the train from Ottawa to Montreal, then to New York.  Seems like a relaxing way to start the trip.

We sailed from Manhattan on a Regent color cruise in 2016. What was neat is the ship was docked within walking distance of the USS Intrepid Air Museum. After dropping the bags and a spot of lunch, we spent the afternoon visiting it. Well worth it if time and weather permit.

• Like 2

I really hope our Oceania cruise scheduled for September 2022 boarding in New York sails out of Manhattan.

We sailed from Manhattan 2 years ago on an Azamara cruise & the experience was spectacular. I don't think we could ever not be thrilled by the sights sailing so close to the Statue of Liberty, skyscrapers, and under the bridge.

• Like 1