Cruise Update- NBC News 6:30

Syracusefan44

The Carnival Cruise line President Christine Duffy will be on NBC News with Lester Holt tonight at 6:30 p.m. Duffy will confirm active discussions with the CDC and that the cruise line is aiming for a July restart. She also confirms there will be NO vaccine mandate on board.

So I interpret it as Carnival caving to DeSantis.  In my opinion she is making a big mistake putting four unvaccinated passengers in a small stateroom and hoping they don’t have a COVID19 outbreak onboard a ship.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

The Carnival Cruise line President Christine Duffy will be on NBC News with Lester Holt tonight at 6:30 p.m. Duffy will confirm active discussions with the CDC and that the cruise line is aiming for a July restart. She also confirms there will be NO vaccine mandate on board.

So I interpret it as Carnival caving to DeSantis.  In my opinion she is making a big mistake putting four unvaccinated passengers in a small stateroom and hoping they don’t have a COVID19 outbreak onboard a ship.

Yes, in my opinion this is not a good thing. I hope that Princess does not follow suit. I will wait. I will not cruise with out a vaccine mandate on board. 😞

• Like 18

I will promptly cancel my booking for this year with no vaccination mandate on the ship and do my road trips instead.  Will plan cruising for next year to see how things are shaking up.

This is called cruise hesitancy. 🙂

• Like 10

1 hour ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Yes, in my opinion this is not a good thing. I hope that Princess does not follow suit. I will wait. I will not cruise with out a vaccine mandate on board. 😞

If Princess does not mandate vaccination I will be canceling my booked cruises.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, nocl said:

If Princess does not mandate vaccination I will be canceling my booked cruises.

which cruise lines have stated that ALL Crew and Passengers must be vaccinated for sailings out of the US ?

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

which cruise lines have stated that ALL Crew and Passengers must be vaccinated for sailings out of the US ?

At this point out of the big three only NCL has made a public comment concerning requiring vaccination for all passengers and crew.

I consider the 95/98% requirement from the CDC for relaxed restrictions to be close enough to full vaccination

If the cruise lines do not there are lots of other vacation choices where one does not surrender control to the degree that happens when one boards a cruise ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have only cruised with Princess (17 cruises in the last 15 years) but if they decide to sail with unvaccinated crew and passengers I will look into booking with NCL.

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 8

I’m surprised that Carnival Corp is taking this position. It will be interesting to see how they manage infections on a ship. If it requires an early return because Covid rates go up it can’t be good for the publicity, plus you will end up with a lot of angry passengers. Given what happened last year with the Diamond and Ruby Princess, I’m shocked they wouldn’t go with CDC recommendations, at the very least. I certainly wouldn’t travel unvaccinated but what about those that would or can’t? And then those that become infected? What then? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I wonder if it’s their way to require Princess only excursions, or cruise only excursions. It seems very irresponsible. Especially now that children 12 and up can be vaccinated now. 

I figured exceptions would be made for children and those who cannot be vaccinated, but oh well. 

Time will tell how this all plays out 

• Like 2

Likewise, we predominantly sail on Princess, but without "full" vaccination of crew and pax, we would not sail with Princess in the foreseeable future.  After having so many bookings cancelled over the past 15 months, it would be distressing to cancel more.  However, to us it would seem indefensible to get aboard a ship with many unvaccinated people when the risk could be easily minimized by a vaccination mandate. 

We hope Princess commits to at least the 95/98% approach, and demonstrates that they can operate safely before we have to make a decision about any of our current bookings.

Edited by J-D
  • Like 7

The time was not 6:30. We missed it as it was on at 5:30PM (western time). Found it on my computer. All of a couple of minutes that the President of Carnival spoke to Lester Holt. No mention at all about no vaccinations needed to sail.

Where did the poster get that information?

Edited by san diego sue
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

I’m surprised that Carnival Corp is taking this position. It will be interesting to see how they manage infections on a ship. If it requires an early return because Covid rates go up it can’t be good for the publicity, plus you will end up with a lot of angry passengers. Given what happened last year with the Diamond and Ruby Princess, I’m shocked they wouldn’t go with CDC recommendations, at the very least. I certainly wouldn’t travel unvaccinated but what about those that would or can’t? And then those that become infected? What then? This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I wonder if it’s their way to require Princess only excursions, or cruise only excursions. It seems very irresponsible. Especially now that children 12 and up can be vaccinated now. 

I figured exceptions would be made for children and those who cannot be vaccinated, but oh well. 

Time will tell how this all plays out 

Do you mean Carnival Cruise Lines?  Carnival Cruise Lines decisions about vaccinations do not affect Princess Cruises.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pris993 said:

If you are vaccinated what are you worried about?  I trust the vaccination works, if ships cruising, I will be on board.   

An interrupted cruise for starters.  Who knows what will happen if a serious infection breaks out.  Have trouble finding a port.  Maybe quarantine everyone.  At the very least a big pain in the neck.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Do you mean Carnival Cruise Lines?  Carnival Cruise Lines decisions about vaccinations do not affect Princess Cruises.

No, I meant Carnival Corp, who could potentially make the rules for all their cruise lines the same 

I understand that Carnival cruise line has said taken a no vaccine required stance and not Princess but could Carnival Corp make the same stance for all, who knows 

Edited by jennybenny

17 minutes ago, san diego sue said:

The time was not 6:30. We missed it as it was on at 5:30PM (western time). Found it on my computer. All of a couple of minutes that the President of Carnival spoke to Lester Holt. No mention at all about no vaccinations needed to sail.

Where did the poster get that information?

Oh! That’s good to hear. I hope it was a misinterpretation and I hope Princess does require vaccinations based on CDC recommendations 

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

No, I meant Carnival Corp, who could potentially make the rules for all their cruise lines the same 

I may be behind on the news, but I believe that Carnival Corporation has not taken a position on vaccinations yet.  But Carnival Cruise Lines has said that vaccinations will not be required.

10 minutes ago, pris993 said:

If you are vaccinated what are you worried about?  I trust the vaccination works, if ships cruising, I will be on board.   

But if you are onboard with a 1000 un-vaccinated passengers because the cruise line does not care to check for vaccinations and no one knows it the chances of Covid being spread are pretty high......and then the fun starts when the whole ships is quarantined to their rooms to stop the spread........AKA.....Diamond Princess cruise from hell.........

• Like 8

Just now, 2 cruises a year said:

I may be behind on the news, but I believe that Carnival Corporation has not taken a position on vaccinations yet.  But Carnival Cruise Lines has said that vaccinations will not be required.

Right

I probably could have worded my post better. 

11 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

But if you are onboard with a 1000 un-vaccinated passengers because the cruise line does not care to check for vaccinations and no one knows it the chances of Covid being spread are pretty high......and then the fun starts when the whole ships is quarantined to their rooms to stop the spread........AKA.....Diamond Princess cruise from hell.........

I totally agree with you. 
Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jennybenny said:

Right

I probably could have worded my post better. 

It is confusing.  They are separate, but together.  Carnival Corporation owns Carnival Cruise Lines and eight other lines.  But all of the lines under their umbrella operate independently.  Carnival Corporation does not tell them how to run their businesses.

In the interview they said the cdc IS  requiring vaccinations for all on board if the ship is to sail from the USA

It is not up to t h e cruise line

The Carnival exec was u p set since there is no vaccine yet for children under 12 and lots of families cruise

Everything is still under discussion

Edited by riffatsea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Cases on board causing deviation of cruise schedule up to and including early termination.

Having to deal with higher level of restrictions due to cruise line not requiring vaccination compared to the options CDC has given the cruise lines for those vaccinated including but not limited to: no testing, unrestricted port visits, no mask requirements, etc.  After all if the cruise lines are not requiring vaccination it will be very difficult for them to execute different sets of rules for different passengers.

• Like 3