The Daily for Tuesday May 18, 2021

richwmn

13 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

So, Dutch Blue Irises are really bulbs, not rhizomes, this is what I found out about them:

1070577649_ScreenShot2021-05-18at6_47_58PM.thumb.jpeg.4a6ea6de5bcd695539e126fdcd930595.jpeg

Thanks. They’re at a pretty dry state at the moment. Interesting that it says one might get a second year as we’ve gotten well over 20!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

For us in the Pacific NW, today is a day of remembrance.  41 years ago today Mt. St Helens blew its top.  We had a little rain here last night, and are expecting some later this afternoon.  We need it after more than a week of sunshine.

Concerning museums:  I wonder if most people are like us.  Love to visit them and similar attractions when travelling, but seldom visit the ones at home.  For example, I have enjoyed the aquarium in Singapore and Yokohama, but have never visited the one in Seattle.  Visited the zoo in Sydney, but not the one in Seattle for more than 40 years.

You are right about not always seeing the sights at home.  DH has never been up in the Arch. Neither of us has been to the new aquarium (not so new now) and although I have ridden ferris wheels in many places (the London Eye, Chicago Navy Pier etc.) I have not yet ridden the one here at home. I have ridden the ferris wheel in Branson, which is actually the old one from Navy Pier, so I've ridden the old (in both places) and the new.

St Louis Sal

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good morning.  Right now it is not raining, but it is cloudy and breezy.  However, rain is headed our way and will stay around through tomorrow.  As of yesterday, we'd received 3.2 inches of rain since Sunday morning.  

We drove to Montreal from Dover, NJ, in 1969 or 1970, when DH was in the army.  We cruised there in 2004 on the old Regal Princess b2b round trip from NYC.  I have a few pictures, and even fewer that @StLouisCruisers, Sandi did not post.  I'll not compete with her pictures of the cathedral.

As Montreal was a turnaround day, we had 2/1/2 days there, but were meeting friends, one of whom joined us for the return trip to NYC.  The other friend lived in St. Catharines, ON, and took the train to Montreal to see the three of us.   We did some sightseeing, including a city bus that made a loop with a stop at Mont Royal Parc overlooking the city.  The first afternoon, we wandered around the underground shopping mall.  The last day, which was a short one, we went out to the Olympic village.

These are some of my pictures as walk around and rode on the city bus.

IMG_3845.thumb.JPG.ec497fbd9dba50f53b5342b427764ee9.JPG

IMG_3846.thumb.JPG.f84513f5166a5abeb78c61c138671bd0.JPG

IMG_3847.thumb.JPG.b6e66a191ace0c5d703a7a134a91f5b0.JPG

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.0c4f7a907a1d71433690b41963f3fc8e.JPG

IMG_3849.thumb.JPG.5ae9fd4a0f369e4fd80602c2b4bc54e0.JPG

IMG_3850.thumb.JPG.b6eb685b6db835c340b7781b3a5e4856.JPG

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.cfe4690431066f59aff38019f6a7c99a.JPG

The view from Mont Royal Parc with the Olympic swimming venue in the background.

IMG_3857.thumb.JPG.f3c57499839fcd3e36173329c7525bb6.JPG

More of the fall colors

IMG_3859.thumb.JPG.dfc95c6dab0d84d67f7d921e6e795bc2.JPG

The swimming venue

IMG_3861.thumb.JPG.e522ad5d353d03447b32ec3f4c70385c.JPG

IMG_3863.thumb.JPG.80b6e86130bbcdb2b96386ff1f94bd2e.JPG

Lenda

I have bento Mt. Royal ansd St. Joseph Oratory back in 1976 and 72.  Saw some of the 76 Olympics.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Not only Amsterdam, but all of the R-class and S-Class ships and, presumably, the Elegant Explorer (sadly, I never sailed on that one).  They all had magnificent artwork...and artifacts.  I still mourn the departure of Ryndam, the nautical-themed ship.  She was all full of old figureheads, ship models, sextants, compasses, rigging, etc.  I wonder what happened to all of that?

You are right of course.  I mentioned the Amsterdam because we have cruised 319 days on her so are most familiar with and miss her the most.  I like antique mechanical things and always enjoyed the model of an old steam traction engine just outside the library.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thanks. They’re at a pretty dry state at the moment. Interesting that it says one might get a second year as we’ve gotten well over 20!

Haha.  They must prefer California to the Netherlands!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days. I like museums. My sink has some dirty dishes so I'd better tend to that. Sadly, I have no living relatives to visit.

I like the meal (sans carbs) and wine.

I have been to Montreal, but not on a cruise. My first time was as a child for the Expo '67 World's Fair.

It's a beautiful sunny and warm day today. Time to set my cacti out side for the summer.

I'm feeling pretty good. No more fevers. My arms and legs feel sort of rubbery at time; not sure what that's about. I saw my PCP's PA this morning. Nothing to really report. It's felt I likely had some viral illness that is now resolving. No real explanation for the high D-Dimer level. The Ophthalmologist called and the orbit CT was negative. Again no explanation for the conjunctival swelling except inflammation, since it has improved some after a short course of high dose steroids. Fingers crossed that I may be able to be scheduled for cataract surgery when I see them next month.

@kazu I can be removed from the care list. Thanks.

@DeeniEncinitas Beautiful painting

@USN59-79 It's hard to believe it's been that long since the eruption. Someone gave me a little doodad that's made from the ash; it's ugly but I keep it for what it's made of.

@rafinmd Thanks for thinking of me. I had my appointment late morning, and then shortly after getting home, the power went out for unknown reasons.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

I thought I would check back earlier than this, but glad to hear you are doing better.  I hope you continue to improve.  You have been in my prayers. 

Sorry I’m so late in answering.  I had a busy day and never checked back. Then went to bed early and now I’m wide awake.

Take care.

Terri

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Wow! How do you save the washing machine water?  Stop it and use buckets - yikes!

not sure if it helps but from what I have read and understand a dishwasher (modern) uses less water than washing by hand.  I’m on a well so a I am very conscious of water usage. 😉 

The washing machine outlet hose is curved so it fits into a hole in the laundry sink. If you time it right you can divert the hose into a bucket just as the machine starts to empty. It means you have to hang around in the laundry and listen to the machine so you get the timing right. But we managed to keep all our bushes alive during the drought so it was worth the effort. 
Wednesday night here, so looking forward to the next Daily which appears on the iPad in about an hour. Take care everyone.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Celebrating 47 years of wedded bliss today! Low key today as we began the celebrating in early April spending a day with our CA grands as their parents had their vaccines, then off to WA for a week with the WA grands on Whidbey Island, then on to Kona for 2 1/2 weeks with the HI grands. Next week,  a visit with my Mother in AZ. The adventures with DH continue. So thankful! 

Happy Anniversary!  How nice to be visiting all the grands and your mother 🙂 

8 hours ago, NextOne said:

Thanks for all the advice about splitting iris -- a new chore for the fall!

Good news! DH moved to rehab this afternoon! One step closer to coming home! Thank you all  for your prayers and good wishes.

So happy to hear this 🙂. Excellent news, indeed

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, daisybertie said:

The washing machine outlet hose is curved so it fits into a hole in the laundry sink. If you time it right you can divert the hose into a bucket just as the machine starts to empty. It means you have to hang around in the laundry and listen to the machine so you get the timing right. But we managed to keep all our bushes alive during the drought so it was worth the effort. 
Wednesday night here, so looking forward to the next Daily which appears on the iPad in about an hour. Take care everyone.

Very clever!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Norseh2o said:

Celebrating 47 years of wedded bliss today! Low key today as we began the celebrating in early April spending a day with our CA grands as their parents had their vaccines, then off to WA for a week with the WA grands on Whidbey Island, then on to Kona for 2 1/2 weeks with the HI grands. Next week,  a visit with my Mother in AZ. The adventures with DH continue. So thankful! 

Happy Anniversary! 🥂to your adventure!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NextOne said:

Thanks for all the advice about splitting iris -- a new chore for the fall!

Good news! DH moved to rehab this afternoon! One step closer to coming home! Thank you all  for your prayers and good wishes.

Now that is great news!

11 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

You are right of course.  I mentioned the Amsterdam because we have cruised 319 days on her so are most familiar with and miss her the most.  I like antique mechanical things and always enjoyed the model of an old steam traction engine just outside the library.

Amsterdam was definitely my second-favorite (after Ryndam)!  And, as a retired engineer, I also have spent a lot of time gazing at that same traction-engine display just forward of the library.  Also sometimes showed up on the hour to hear the bells under the astrolabe.  So sad that all of those ships are gone.