Look who we have in Galveston

journeymore

Just now, journeymore said:

I think so. 10 or 12 day to Panama. 

My first and only X Cruise was a 11 day on the Summit in June 2019, longest cruise I'd ever gone on, and I'd love to see a M Class in Galveston.

13 hours ago, journeymore said:

I think so. 10 or 12 day to Panama. 

I did a 12 night Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy in 2004 out of Galveston.  It just went into Gatun lake and back out again, but it was a fun cruise.  Stayed at the Hotel Galvez the night before.  Not sure if it's still there in that form after a few hurricanes. 

Phil 

12 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I did a 12 night Panama Canal cruise on Galaxy in 2004 out of Galveston.  It just went into Gatun lake and back out again, but it was a fun cruise.  Stayed at the Hotel Galvez the night before.  Not sure if it's still there in that form after a few hurricanes. 

Phil 

The hotel is still there. 

https://www.hotelgalvez.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=business-listing

14 hours ago, lizord said:

When was the last time X sailed from Texas? I think the Galaxy used to be here. 

We did a Rome to Galveston cruise on Galaxy in October 2005. It was a very late booking, as I had had a knee replacement in the June. We couldn’t get our first choice cruise, but in the end I was pleased as we had a wonderful ‘Beyond the Podium’ lecturer, John Maxton Graham. 
He stepped in with an extra lecture when we weren’t allowed into Key West, due to the aftermath of hurricane Wilma. 

We had a tour of Galveston before we were taken to Houston, where we were delayed, due to a thunder storm. This meant we missed our flight from Heathrow to Manchester.
It was the first time we had had so many sea days (9) but I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and was impressed by Galveston.

I'm getting off topic but couldn't resist replying to the mention of John Maxton Graham, cruise lecturer extraordinaire!  Best speaker we ever heard on over 40 cruises. His field of expertise was passenger ships of long ago and he was the author of The Only Way to Cross, about ships that carried pax across the Atlantic. He seemed to have his talks memorized and never had to consult notes. I believe he died a few years ago. I saw mention of his passing on cc.

• Like 1

Would love to cruise with X out of Galveston. Sailed with another line out of there and managed to nail Galvestons Mardi Gras the night before we departed.  What a fun time.  DW and I have been to Texas 5 times now and love it. would definitely arrive at least a week early and do some more touring around. 

We were on the Galaxy for Christmas 2005, partial 11-day Panama Canal transit. We got a great last minute deal. On Christmas Day, Santa gave my tweens Celebrity hoodies.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction