MSC cruise quality / experience?

Titanfan22

3 hours ago, optimusprime82 said:

My wife and I have travelled with MSC twice, both times in an Aurea balcony, and we're booked in an Aurea suite this fall. We've considered YC but we haven't done it yet because we don't think there'd be enough time spent on the ship for us to justify the increase in price.

If we were on a cruise with 50% (approximately) of the days at sea we'd probably consider YC more seriously. If we're docked everyday and we're off the ship neither of us want to spend that much more (for a balcony not an inside cabin) for amenities that we're not going to get to use that much. That's just for my wife and I though; we love using the Aurea thermal spa daily, I try to hit the gym at least once daily, she likes to lay out and sunbath daily, and we really enjoy the MDR which we'd probably skip in favor of the YC dining room. On a normal 7 night or 14 night voyage with only a few days at sea we just don't think we'd get our monies worth in YC.

With all that said, we'd love to find the right itinerary where YC would make sense for us. 

This is exactly my thoughts we’ve booked yacht club for our next cruise - I got the nhs discount (I’m so not a hero just typing letters) and we won’t do msc excursions if there’s no free time, so it makes sense this time, it’s also out 20th wedding anniversary and personally I’ve had a very difficult year so it’s a treat. We’ve also done Aurea suite in the past and it was amazing - the deciding factor this time is that we probably won’t get off which we’ve never done as we’ve always done port intensive med cruises x

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, $4,000 EACH? Dang....

Yes, that is cheaper than the Haven, but way more than we spend. I guess we're just cheapskates, LOL. Our budget is usually around $1,500 or so each for 7 days, but we might be able to stretch it to $2,000. However, we also have to pay international airfare, which can get quite expensive. I like traveling way too much to settle for once a year, so we try to keep the costs within reason. Our upcoming MSC cruise in August cost about $3,500 for the two of us in a YIN cabin. We're going on an NCL cruise in September that's around $2,600 for both of us, with airfare included. To each his own. I hope once I'm retired (which is still a decade away, alas!) we can spend more and travel more.

I've been with one of the big Wall Street firms for decades and have a fairly high net worth, but I usually travel pretty frugally.  I use frequent flyer miles for most airfare, and I am perfectly fine in a balcony or sometimes even a nice OV cabin.

Don't ever feel guilty about not spending a lot on this stuff.  In my experience, the biggest issues I see are:

1. Not saving enough.

2. Bad asset allocation.

3. Emotional reactions to price movements.

4. Overspending.

Numbers 1 and 4 are probably the worse.  I'm not putting down anyone who can easily spend many thousands per person on a cabin, but there is no shame at all in living frugally.

Example of my most recent booking, which unfortunately is being reworked:

1. 11 nights Greek Isles and Israel.  Balcony cabin $900 net per person (includes drink package).

2. Airfare SoCal to Rome essentially free (less than $100 per person in taxes).

3. Really nice hotel in Rome, a bit north of $300 for 3 nights (not per night, but for all 3 nights).

4. Nice hotel near FCO for 1 night, less than $100.

Can I afford more?  Sure.  Does this keep me within plan yet remain quite enjoyable?  Definitely.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I've been with one of the big Wall Street firms for decades and have a fairly high net worth, but I usually travel pretty frugally.  I use frequent flyer miles for most airfare, and I am perfectly fine in a balcony or sometimes even a nice OV cabin.

Don't ever feel guilty about not spending a lot on this stuff.  In my experience, the biggest issues I see are:

1. Not saving enough.

2. Bad asset allocation.

3. Emotional reactions to price movements.

4. Overspending.

Numbers 1 and 4 are probably the worse.  I'm not putting down anyone who can easily spend many thousands per person on a cabin, but there is no shame at all in living frugally.

Example of my most recent booking, which unfortunately is being reworked:

1. 11 nights Greek Isles and Israel.  Balcony cabin $900 net per person (includes drink package).

2. Airfare SoCal to Rome essentially free (less than $100 per person in taxes).

3. Really nice hotel in Rome, a bit north of $300 for 3 nights (not per night, but for all 3 nights).

4. Nice hotel near FCO for 1 night, less than $100.

Can I afford more?  Sure.  Does this keep me within plan yet remain quite enjoyable?  Definitely.

Totally agree.

2 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

We expect to pay almost $4000 each for a week in the Yacht Club. Still much cheaper than NCLs Haven.

We paid about $2,900 each for the Yacht Club, on the Seaside in August 2019, but that was for two weeks. Best cruise ever, but from what we saw and heard from other people on the cruise, that’s the only category we would book on MSC. The word is out now and current pricing is way more than we are willing to pay, no mater how much we enjoyed it the last time.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:05 PM, Até said:

UK Terms & Conditions (US is similar):

14.2 Most changes are minor but occasionally MSC Cruises or the Company must make a significant change. The following are examples of significant changes when made before you go on the Cruise: A change in the time Passengers are due to leave the UK to go on the Cruise or the time Passengers are due to come back to the UK after the Cruise of more than 12 hours. A change of UK airport from the Passengers were due to fly to or from, except where the change is between London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, London City or Luton) or where the new airport is within 50 miles of the original airport. A change of cabin accommodation to a significantly lesser grade. A significant change to the itinerary. i.e. when the itinerary has to be changed by more than 50% and may have to exclude an iconic highlight. All changes which are not significant are treated as minor changes and therefore there is no right to cancel or to claim compensation. Please note: MSC Cruises and the Company do not classify a change of air or sea port as a significant change where coach transfers between a UK town and the relevant air/sea port are included in the holiday. A change of flight from direct to indirect is not classified as a significant change. In the event of a significant alteration to an essential term of the Contract, MSC Cruises or the Company will inform the Passenger or his/her Agent of such change in writing as soon as reasonably possible. If there is time to do so before departure, we will offer you the choice of one of the following

a) Accepting the alteration; or

b) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of equivalent or superior quality, if available; or

c) Booking another Holiday Package from the Company’s brochure and/or from the Official Website of lower quality, if available, with a refund of the difference in price; or

d) Cancelling and receiving a full refund of all monies paid.

I can't remember how much mickey89's itinerary was changed but I'd say being moved from the YC experience to Aurea is a significant change.  MSC should have refunded without any delay, contesting things like that makes them look bad.

Exactly this!...

But, on the other hand there is something that is here to help with those disputes: Reliable independent holiday insurance! TBHH; Those Euro 15 bucks per Euro 1000 of a TA's holiday bill (in average before the pandemic) are the best money I spend all years!... Apart a little incident I needed to call them when my mother fell on a step entering the ship to refund for the little nurse treatment she needed made the thing so less stressful!... And they're here for those disputes too!...

Have a nice day!...

8 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, $4,000 EACH? Dang....

Yes, that is cheaper than the Haven, but way more than we spend. I guess we're just cheapskates, LOL. Our budget is usually around $1,500 or so each for 7 days, but we might be able to stretch it to $2,000. However, we also have to pay international airfare, which can get quite expensive. I like traveling way too much to settle for once a year, so we try to keep the costs within reason. Our upcoming MSC cruise in August cost about $3,500 for the two of us in a YIN cabin. We're going on an NCL cruise in September that's around $2,600 for both of us, with airfare included. To each his own. I hope once I'm retired (which is still a decade away, alas!) we can spend more and travel more.

I looked at the exact numbers and it wasn't more than $7000 for both so $3500 each. I should prefer to spend less but I have to pay the price they want or do something else.

We also have to pay for international airfare but since our next cruise will be in the Mediterranean it will not cost too much. 

11 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

Of course it should be cheaper to stay at home.

Not what I was referring to at all. We do 4-6 cruises a year sometimes even more. I cannot see blowing the wad on one cruise unless that is the only one you can do. My opinion only. If ya got it spend it. 

51 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not what I was referring to at all. We do 4-6 cruises a year sometimes even more. I cannot see blowing the wad on one cruise unless that is the only one you can do. My opinion only. If ya got it spend it. 

I can't do 4-6 cruises a year so when I cruise I rather pay more and get more.

If my only option was a cheap cruise I should rather stay at home, that's what I was referring to. 

We have cruised twice with MSC -- both times is Europe. We are set to schedule a third time -- Starting in Haifa, Israel in 2022. We have also sailed with Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and Carnival. MSC is inexpensive so that's a draw. It is also a low-key type of ship; in other words, there are not a lot of "getting in peoples' faces" like what happens on Carnival for example. We go with MSC for the itinerary mostly, but we do like MSC or we would not continue. Please do not expect a Celebrity or Princess cruise line experience. Those are without question really upscale, they attract an upscale client, and MSC is not Princess or Celebrity. Many Americans love to be pampered, they love their chocolates on the bed, and the animals made from towels. That does NOT happen with MSC. The food is good, not exceptionally good, so if food is your big thing, you might be disappointed. If you are low key, you like an itinerary, you want to cruise for a very reasonable price, you do not need to be catered to 24/7, or pampered constantly, and if you are not expecting a 5-star experience such as Celebrity Cruise Line, you will like it. Otherwise, I suggest you not book with MSC because it's truly a low-key cruise designed for people who mostly stay to themselves, enjoy their families and friends, and a nice, clean ship. I hope this helps. 

• Like 2

I am very frugal, even though some may call it being a cheapskate. 🙂 We cruise 1-2 times a year. I would rather we sail twice a year in an interior cabin than only once a year in a balcony+.

I prefer to keep it under $2,000 for a week cruise for the 3 of us for an inside room. I will spend up to $2,400 on a balcony cabin, especially if the itinerary/ship are outstanding and/or there is OBC/free grats offered. Sometimes I score an even better deal, considering that we must cruise during school breaks, which usually means higher fares. Sometimes I invite my parents along, and I prefer to keep their fares under $1,400 for 2 in an inside or $1,600 in a balcony.

We fly to the FL ports, although we could technically drive, so that adds to the total cost.

I have just scored a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise on Enchanted Princess during Thanksgiving 2022, in an inside room for the 3 of us for $2,500. $125 OBC. That deal is still available. A very good deal in my eyes, and I will keep an eye on the price.

I have also just scored a Memorial Day sale on MSC Seashore for spring break 2022 for the 3 of us in a Fantastica inside cabin, all in drinks and wifi, for $1,834. I think that's pretty sweet. I am fully satisfied with the price, location and perks, and I know to leave it alone with MSC, even if the price drops a little, unless I want it messed up. 🙂 I do not expect Celebrity/Princess level of anything, I just want the food to be edible (side eyeing NCL really hard here) and the entertainment to be good to great, which judging by reviews is a reasonable expectation.

Back in 2020 I scored a fantastic KSF deal on Indy of the Seas for $1,600 for the 3 of us, inside, Thanksgiving 2020. A great deal! But wait, there is more! Because of Covid that turned into a free upgrade to a balcony. Then I had to lift and shift to 2021, and this ended up being a balcony on Harmony of the Seas.

P.S. We have decided that we'd no longer sail with NCL, unless the cruise fare was close to zero.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

I like your thinking, @Itchy&Scratchy! My wife and I are pretty frugal, too. Our rule at home is never to buy anything at the grocery store that isn't BOTH on sale and we have a coupon. (some exceptions apply, they never have coupons for produce) But doing this allows us to save money so we can go on decent vacations. We've never booked a penthouse, a suite, etc. The most expensive has been the MSC Yacht Club. We booked a YIN and then bid on an upgrade to a Deluxe Suite for our 2019 Meraviglia cruise. It's not that we don't have any money, it just isn't worth it to spend it all on 1 trip. Plus we own 3 rental properties and there's ALWAYS something breaking down or needing to be fixed, so we have to keep a reserve of funds just in case. It would be irresponsible for us to drop $15,000 on a fancy cabin and then tell our tenants "sorry the A/C conked out, here's a $15 fan instead." (we've had to replace the HVAC systems at 2 of the properties in the last 3 years, and we had a fire at another condo we own that had to be totally rebuilt, we got $0 in rent for 10 months and still had to pay the mortgage, taxes, etc.)

Not looking for pity or anything, just to say that, like you, we travel on a budget. I'm hoping that once I retire, we can sell the rentals and use some of the money to travel in a bit more style. But for now, the cheap seats will do! 😁🤣

• Like 1

I was ready for retirement 11 years ago. Only the basic bills each month. No monthly payments for anything. So we have the finances to really enjoy the final years and we do.  Since then we cruise a lot each year. When we cruised one or two times a year we did the balcony and one time a suite for the 50th anniversary. Now, only an Ocean View. Wife needs to see out. We never book if it is over $100 pp pd. Unless the benefits out weight the additional cost. Our September 5th on the Divina cruise is costing only $49.95 a day pp pd. plus $200.00 OBC Can't beat that one. We booked cabin 5088 OV. Anyone know if the door next to customer service is open to come and go? The cabin is right next to it?

• Like 3

BTW, I suppose this ties in with being frugal.  My firm offers a "free" Amex Platinum card if certain criteria are met.  Those criteria include having a brokerage account, $25,000 average balance in a money market, and $5,000 per month in direct deposits (or less if social security).  It used to be that you had to have at least $1,000,000 with us, but they changed that.

While I work for the firm, I qualify for this benefit solely as a customer.  Normally, that card is $550/year, but I get it reimbursed because I meet the criteria.

I get so many perks from this card.  For example, I get a Priority Pass and can use first class lounges, or similar, in most airports.  It's much nicer grabbing some good food and cocktails, even a shower, than waiting in the lobby.  It also includes Amex Centurion lounges in some airports, but they are limited.  Their lounge in Hong Kong was great.  I had a long layover in Shanghai a couple of years ago and my GF and I waited in one of the Chinese airlines' First Class lounges.  Chefs cooking in front of you, great food, comfy chairs and booths, plenty of charging ports, free serve yourself cocktails, I even took a shower, and entirely free for both of us.

They also have some of the best travel benefits if not the best.  For example, I'm going to link to an article that shows how a man who had a medical emergency, saved $275,000 by putting only the taxes on his frequent flyer award ticket on his Amex Platinum.  They paid for a full medical air evacuation, as described in the article.

I can't even begin to scratch the surface on some of the perks.  I think I get $15-$20/mo Uber credit I can also use for Uber Eats, $200 annual benefit on an airline of my choosing (there are limitations), etc.  I got $50 off of $50 purchase twice at both Home Depot (online) and Best Buy (online) through AmexOffers (usually better offers at the higher Platinum level), plus $50 off $50 twice from Saks.

And if you have a problem, some of their coverages are amazing.  For example, I paid to have the wheels on my car refinished.  They looked gorgeous.  2 weeks later, I curbed one wheel.  100% my fault.  I knew that Amex had a lot of different types of purchase insurance that included loss and damage, so I told them what happened.  They reimbursed me for all 4 wheels.  I told them that wasn't necessary, as I only damaged 1.  They said that's just how they do things,

I used to think, "What fool would pay $550/year for a credit card?".  Now that I have this, I actually think it's a very good value.  But free is even better.

I guess the moral is to look around and take advantage of offers that can add a lot to your experience, but that may cost very little or nothing if you do it right.

And no, I don't work for Amex.

Here's the article I mentioned, which is worth a read imo.
https://viewfromthewing.com/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

Edited by Stockjock

Call it what you want, I just hate getting ripped off and overpaying on things that are not considered necessities regardless of how much money i have in the bank. So yes, shopping for deals and refusing to pay inflated prices on products and services are definitely the right things to do in my opinion.

• Like 1

Well: Interesting thread this is becoming... But bear in mind we remain not getting to the normal times that soon...

I hardly believe this cruise season to give us far more than it has given up to date, and what it has given up to us is far little...

I understand that those few of very anxious cruise "fanatic" ones here in CC are hoping for such a huge cruise season to come... Well... I don't want to be that pessimistic, but realistically, fleet restarting delays and restructuring of the remaining open fleets availability is what the rest of the seasons will likely to be like. Here in my own Portugal we're likely entering such a new Covid wave... Huh!... Some time ago I started to "test the waters" to see if I could to find someone to go on the usual Lisbon 10 nighters or maybe even the usual early November repositioning 4 nghter Lisbon to Genoa with me... Sadly on the family's meeting the one health care professional there couldn't be louder than what she was stating that "never on even your best dreams"!...

People are still fearing this Covid thread despite the vaccination plans... Let alone our disgraceful governments decisions that, while understandably on behalf of our protection, are starting to be no more than Covid fear mongering, unless they know about it something they remain on need to not tell us about!...

That said: All CC reviews, all social media reviews or posts and all the videos posted elsewhere are stating ship occupations as far below both the companies agreements with governments of their own auto infringed occupation limits!... And sadly I don't expect that to change on the next months to come, even years to say the least!...

Sadly, as an avid cruiser I am, and considering that a cruise ship could to become such one of the most secure Covid free experience you con have on earth, were all the companies doing their best for it to get in fruition, I understand how group moves works on our society, and simply nobody wants to talk about cruise ships right now!...

Come mid July and we will have the most impressive "lost head" sales anywhere available on the whole cruise industry to date!... Patiently await and have it if you can. Sadly I will most likely to be out because of the above mentioned!...

And finally again: One might to have the occasional MSC wonderful deal... But price differences to the likes of RCI and even X or Princess is not anymore what it used to be. Simply: I can to snag a below Edge class X cruise (and Solstice class are very modern ships even today!...) or some of the older Princess ships by just a few more or sometimes even less than those Virtuosa prices going on!... If it wasn't for my relatives to be MSC cheerleaders, and I'd to be more than ready to jump ship. Don't pretend I don't like MSC anymore!... Simply their real value is a huge 20% discount to the others... Simply you can't to find it as frequently as you did back in the day!...

I'd hope all this ordeal to be over for me to go on the usual 2022 Lisbon 10 nighters, arguably on the Splendida!...

Have a nice day!...

From US

Food: Meh

Staff: Pleasant

Ship: Modern, Clean

Children on Board: Limited which was great for me

Entertainment on Board: NA, I don't enjoy going to shows on cruise ships

Booked another cruise for this coming Fall

Edited by kilkoyne

During my earning years, I was frugal.  My frugality then now allows me to be less so now when I choose to do so.  

Saving/investing during one's earning's years is a wise thing to do and to communicate to those of us who have younger relatives.  

Financial literacy is not a subject usually part of most public school curricula.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

During my earning years, I was frugal.  My frugality then now allows me to be less so now when I choose to do so.  

Saving/investing during one's earning's years is a wise thing to do and to communicate to those of us who have younger relatives.  

Financial literacy is not a subject usually part of most public school curricula.   

I did what you suggest and have retired fine. My son listens to his advisor at work and is only in IRAs. So many other safe investments of which I am so happy I did. I have told him. If you want to do IRAs whatever you do. At least make it Roth IRAs. I pay no income tax. He will not listen to me. 

2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I did what you suggest and have retired fine. My son listens to his advisor at work and is only in IRAs. So many other safe investments of which I am so happy I did. I have told him. If you want to do IRAs whatever you do. At least make it Roth IRAs. I pay no income tax. He will not listen to me. 

It's important to understand that many of the "safe" investments are really not so safe.  I'm limited on what further I can say here, so I will leave it at that.

• 1 month later...
On 5/20/2021 at 8:29 PM, John Bull said:

That's something I didn't comment on, because my only MSC experience has been in Europe.

Yes, certainly in Europe announcements are in a number of languages, but that's true of most US ships as well.

It makes a big difference which language is first, because in public areas if it's Italian first other languages can be drowned-out by excited Italian passengers discussing what they've just heard or just carrying on with their conversations.

(on US ships that we've sailed in Europe, English has been first -  and it's only just occurred to me that Italians, Spaniards, Germans etc might have found the same difficulty  🤔 ) 

So, Stockjock or others, which way round is it on MSC on your side of the Pond ?

JB 🙂

The order depends on how many passengers of each language - so if myou have mostly Italian passengers, then English then German then Russian they will do the announcements in that order.  If it is English, then Italian, then French, then Japanese and Italians the announcement will be in that order.- I have 10 MSC cruises out of a total of 15 cruises - Europe, Caribbean, NorthAmerica, Greek Islands, Norway, Northern Europe - each cruise has had announcements in a different order and different languages.

On 6/3/2021 at 1:59 PM, Stockjock said:

BTW, I suppose this ties in with being frugal.  My firm offers a "free" Amex Platinum card if certain criteria are met.  Those criteria include having a brokerage account, $25,000 average balance in a money market, and $5,000 per month in direct deposits (or less if social security).  It used to be that you had to have at least $1,000,000 with us, but they changed that.

While I work for the firm, I qualify for this benefit solely as a customer.  Normally, that card is $550/year, but I get it reimbursed because I meet the criteria.

I get so many perks from this card.  For example, I get a Priority Pass and can use first class lounges, or similar, in most airports.  It's much nicer grabbing some good food and cocktails, even a shower, than waiting in the lobby.  It also includes Amex Centurion lounges in some airports, but they are limited.  Their lounge in Hong Kong was great.  I had a long layover in Shanghai a couple of years ago and my GF and I waited in one of the Chinese airlines' First Class lounges.  Chefs cooking in front of you, great food, comfy chairs and booths, plenty of charging ports, free serve yourself cocktails, I even took a shower, and entirely free for both of us.

They also have some of the best travel benefits if not the best.  For example, I'm going to link to an article that shows how a man who had a medical emergency, saved $275,000 by putting only the taxes on his frequent flyer award ticket on his Amex Platinum.  They paid for a full medical air evacuation, as described in the article.

I can't even begin to scratch the surface on some of the perks.  I think I get $15-$20/mo Uber credit I can also use for Uber Eats, $200 annual benefit on an airline of my choosing (there are limitations), etc.  I got $50 off of $50 purchase twice at both Home Depot (online) and Best Buy (online) through AmexOffers (usually better offers at the higher Platinum level), plus $50 off $50 twice from Saks.

And if you have a problem, some of their coverages are amazing.  For example, I paid to have the wheels on my car refinished.  They looked gorgeous.  2 weeks later, I curbed one wheel.  100% my fault.  I knew that Amex had a lot of different types of purchase insurance that included loss and damage, so I told them what happened.  They reimbursed me for all 4 wheels.  I told them that wasn't necessary, as I only damaged 1.  They said that's just how they do things,

I used to think, "What fool would pay $550/year for a credit card?".  Now that I have this, I actually think it's a very good value.  But free is even better.

I guess the moral is to look around and take advantage of offers that can add a lot to your experience, but that may cost very little or nothing if you do it right.

And no, I don't work for Amex.

Here's the article I mentioned, which is worth a read imo.
https://viewfromthewing.com/know-benefits-amex-platinum-medical-evacuation-claim-award-ticket-saves-275000/

I have had business version for over thirty years, Schwab one to transfer almost million amex points to cash and now Morgan Stanley one you mention for 695 rebate. It's not totally free because parking 30k in TMobile banking pays one percent and Morgan Stanley pays almost nothing.

Amex also has ruined their centurian lounge rules by not allowing to go if final destination or over two hours prior to flight and will start charging for extra guest.

I'm going to keep Morgan Stanley and my chase card which has cheaper annual fee and priority pass, better because you can still get free meals outside lounge, better car insurance and same or better evacuation, medical, etc. Also 1.5 cents for cruises, which I've bought two cruises for free.

Don't get me wrong platinum amex is still great and so many benefits and best customer service but they seem to be gutting my favorite benefit and raising annual fee 

Morgan Stanley version also gives one extra user for free.

MSC has some great deals right now. We just booked on MSC Seashore for January 2022, Yacht Club Deluxe Grand Suite for $3000 each. (there are less expensive YC Deluxe Suite and Interior suites as well).

Yes that's significantly more than a non-YC balcony or interior, but still less than the $4000 per person that someone else mentioned, even though it's for a nicer YC room on a brand new ship. (This fare also includes their top drinks package and wifi)  

As far as MSC in general, their newer ships are very glitzy/dazzling and kept spotless. Food in the YC is excellent, but we found the speciality restaurants to be a little bit underwhelming compared to NCL specialty dining. Staff is more polite/reserved *at first* than maybe Americans are used to, but they warm up quickly if you see them more than once. We're from New England so we're a little more reserved (at first) too, so that feels just right to us. ☺️

Edited by karmamule