HAL resuming in Alaska July 24

CruiserBruce

2 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Just the N. Amsterdam for now. Announced on FB. Must be vaccinated. Wonder if Koningsdam will join them.

Seth said no on Kdam.  Only NA will be sailing from July 24th - October 2nd.  

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

One ship only? Are you "chatting" with him? Any comments on KDam's future?

He had a Live announcing the “Breaking “News”.  Yes, one Ship only with Sail Dates I mentioned.  Same Itinerary for the 7 Nite Cruises.  You can watch his Live today on FB.  

Are these only new bookings or are there guests already booked on these sailings? Just wondering what will happen to guests who don't want to or can't get vaccinated. CCL Press release said fully vaccinated but the Carnival site doesn't reflect that yet.

hree Carnival Brands Plan to Resume Alaska Sailings in July -- Update

BY Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
— 5:49 PM ET 05/20/2021

Carnival Corp. ( CCL ) said it is planning to resume Alaska sailings in July, in what would be among the first sailings out of the U.S. since the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The company said Thursday that its Princess Cruises, Holland America Line and Carnival Cruise Line plan to return to service with Alaska itineraries from the U.S. this summer. The cruises would depart from Seattle.

The company said each brand is planning to have one ship sailing round-trip this season. The cruises are available to guests who have had their final dose of an approved Covid-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the cruise begins and proof of vaccination.

"Crew vaccinations will be in accordance with CDC guidelines," Carnival said.

The announcement comes after the U.S. House of Representatives Thursday passed a bill that would let cruise ships sail directly from Washington state to Alaska, temporarily waiving a part of maritime law prohibiting foreign-flagged vessels from transporting passengers between two U.S. ports. Foreign-flagged vessels, such as cruise ships, had been required to stop at a foreign port -- Canada, in this case -- under U.S. law. Canada currently bans cruise ships from sailing on its waters until the end of February 2022.

Ultimately, cruise ships' ability to sail depends on obtaining the green light from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Last month, the CDC said cruise operators could restart sailings out of the U.S. by mid-July.

The CDC also said at the time that cruise ships can proceed to passenger sailings, without test cruises, if they attest that 98% of crew members and 95% of passengers are fully vaccinated.

In October 2020, the CDC put in place a conditional-sail order that required cruise operators to conduct test cruises and apply for a certificate at least 60 days before offering passenger cruises. Last month, the CDC said it would now review and respond to applications for simulated voyages within five days.

The cruise industry and its stakeholders had been critical of the CDC's approach to cruises, particularly after the agency lifted broader travel restrictions. The industry accused the CDC of treating it differently than other hospitality sectors, and the state of Florida has sued the agency.

On Thursday, a Carnival spokesman said the company is optimistic that it will be able to conclude its continuing discussions with the CDC.

Princess Cruises will resume operations in Alaska starting July 25 with seven-day cruises onboard Majestic Princess, the company said.

Holland America Line will resume cruises to Alaska beginning July 24, with seven-day itineraries aboard Nieuw Amsterdam.

Carnival Cruise Line has already offered Alaska sailings from Seattle starting July 27, with weekly departures through Sept. 14 aboard Carnival Miracle, the company said.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires
  05-20-21 1749ET
  Copyright (c) 2021 Dow Jones & Company, Inc.

MORE CCL NEWS

• Like 1

I called HAL directly.  You don’t have to wait until tomorrow. 
I was told to bring our CDC vaccination cards to checkin. Also, no anytime dining.  Early or late seating only.

Edited by Suzanne123
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I do not think so, those that were booked on the Sunday sailing of the Oosterdam will likely be switched to Zuiderdam or Westerdam. The cabins/deck plans are identical and will be easier to place those booked on Oosterdam to wither Zuiderdam or Westerdam that is already on the West Coast. Noordam is close but cabin numbers are slightly different. There would be no way to swap over the Koningsdam. But....what I do think they will do is announce some last minute Mexico sailings starting in August or California coastals stopping in Ensenada. HAL needs to bring in revenue and there are plenty that will jump to cruise out of California for summer into fall.

Just received email that my Oosterdam booking will automatically be switched to Nieuw Amsterdam.

• Like 1

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION:
These cruises to Alaska are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the beginning of the cruise and have proof of vaccination. Evidence of acceptable vaccination and other requirements will be confirmed closer to the time of departure and failure to provide proof will result in denial of boarding.
All guests and crew will also be required to follow enhanced COVID-19 health measures that have been developed with guidance from our global medical and public health experts and government agencies. Please check our website at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/news/coronavirus-travel-advisory/traveling -and-staying-healthy.html regularly as there will be updates as new procedures
are finalized and existing protocols may evolve.

48 minutes ago, Suzanne123 said:

I called HAL directly.  You don’t have to wait until tomorrow. 
I was told to bring our CDC vaccination cards to checkin. Also, no anytime dining.  Early or late seating only.

Did you book with a regular phone agent or a PCC?

3 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

those that were booked on the Sunday sailing of the Oosterdam will likely be switched to Zuiderdam or Westerdam.

Nope - we are being asked to go on Nieuw Amsterdam, leaving on Saturday.  Not going to accept. Picked the Oosterdam itinerary because it went to Hubbard Glacier rather than Glacier NP which we've done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I do not think so, those that were booked on the Sunday sailing of the Oosterdam will likely be switched to Zuiderdam or Westerdam. The cabins/deck plans are identical and will be easier to place those booked on Oosterdam to wither Zuiderdam or Westerdam that is already on the West Coast. Noordam is close but cabin numbers are slightly different. There would be no way to swap over the Koningsdam. But....what I do think they will do is announce some last minute Mexico sailings starting in August or California coastals stopping in Ensenada. HAL needs to bring in revenue and there are plenty that will jump to cruise out of California for summer into fall.

I’ve been saying that for a while to a friend.  That (the koningsdam) would be of interest to me if the price was right.  More so than Alaska.

3 hours ago, zelker said:

Thanks, @LAFFNVEGAS - I hope they allow a longer stop in Ketchikan since they eliminated Victoria. And what's with 4 hours in the evening in ISP??!!??  Oh well, beggars can't be choosers at the moment and I'll be happy just to get back up there and love me some 49th State!

Icy Strait is on the same day as Glacier Bay.  It's like a bonus port as most cruise lines only offer 3 Alaskan Ports in a 7 day sailing and HAL adding this as a 4th stop!  Since it stays light so late that far north in Summertime an evening call can still allow for some good wildlife viewing - especially if going in late August/Early September during Bear Season!

Ketchikan has limited hours often due to port congestion with Morning ships and afternoon ships swapping out the same berths on many days PLUS the distance from there to Seattle, especially if having to avoid Canadian waters, may just be too far to lengthen the port timing in any meaningful way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We booked this cruise in September 2020. It was a replacement cruise for one of the many that were cancelled due to Covid. On April 20th we were notified that the Nieuw Amsterdam would be taking the place of the Eurodam. We purchased HAL tours for this cruise when they were offered at a 10% discount last year The tours did not migrate immediately to the Nieuw Amsterdam, but that did happen sometime in the last two weeks. We received a new booking confirmation today. Funny, even though the new itinerary shows a day at sea instead of Victoria, they haven't cancelled our tour there. When we were transferred to the Nieuw Amsterdam our PCC said that there were only 200 guests booked and that was before final payment. We have an inside cabin on the 6th floor. Looks like we will have the floor to ourselves.

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Icy Strait is on the same day as Glacier Bay.  It's like a bonus port as most cruise lines only offer 3 Alaskan Ports in a 7 day sailing and HAL adding this as a 4th stop!  Since it stays light so late that far north in Summertime an evening call can still allow for some good wildlife viewing - especially if going in late August/Early September during Bear Season!

Bonus port is right.

This is one of the primary benefits to bypassing Vancouver,   cruisers from the US get an extra day of Alaska as an additional port stop.

28 minutes ago, JRG said:

Bonus port is right.

This is one of the primary benefits to bypassing Vancouver,   cruisers from the US get an extra day of Alaska as an additional port stop.

Icy Strait Point was on the original itinerary. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JRG said:

Bonus port is right.

Icy Strait Point was added in September of last year. HAL is substituting a sea day in place of Victoria. On a previous HAL cruise we were denied entry into Victoria due to a norovirus outbreak on the ship. We spent the entire day anchored in the Victoria harbor. Everything on the ship was closed down with nothing to do. A sea day is much better. Icy Straight Point is a good location for whale watching. I suspect that it was added in order for HAL to make money off of tours. With the exception of the Cannery there is little to see in town.

• Thanks 1