Buying liquor for your room

bugsy7

When you buy liquor from the fun shops onboard, they hold it until the night before you debark or the morning of. It's not for consuming during your cruise. 

I'm not real sure of the fun shops link you are looking at, maybe you can post it for before you cruise.

When you buy Liquor from the fun shops prior to cruising, a bottle of Jack Daniels, lets say, it is delivered to your room and  should be waiting for you when you board. Bottle $95.00. It is suppose to be consumed in your room, however many times I have made a drink in the room and took it with me. 

When you buy it from the fun shops on board during your cruise, it is much cheaper and they hold it for you as explained by firefly333. I am not sure, however you may be able to get a bottle delivered to your room by room service at the higher price and consume during your cruise. Package deal: 1 Liter Jack Daniels and 6 pack Coke $100.00 ore cruise.

I have purchased a bottle of Tequila to be put in my room in the past from Carnival's web site. I thought I heard you could buy one on ship and have it sent to your room.

25 minutes ago, bugsy7 said:

Is there an advantage in buying liquor from the fun shop on line, rather than buying from the ships fun shop after you board?

I have ordered cabin alcohol in the past for a couple of my longer cruises. There is no telling what the rules will be after you board, but I would order ahead of time if you want it ahead of time to consume. I have never had any issue making drinks in my tumbler and drinking outside of cabin.

Ordering onboard could also depend on inventory.

And as others mentioned, alcohol from shops onboard is a totally different thing. Cheaper, but you don’t get it until the last evening or morning of departure.

9 minutes ago, bugsy7 said:

I have purchased a bottle of Tequila to be put in my room in the past from Carnival's web site. I thought I heard you could buy one on ship and have it sent to your room.

Yeah, you could but I'm not seeing anything listed in my planner right now. The pre-order isn't from the Fun Shops; I went online to see what they called it and noticed most of the listings have disappeared. However, the ones that were up before was for pre-ordering like 4 or 6 packs of beer and soda. Right now only showing water. Pre-ordering a fifth of booze you may save on tax? Or not having to tip the room service delivery? Pre-ordering may give you peace of mind to see exactly what brands/flavors are available. You can see if they have the mixers you may want or if you want to bring 12oz cans of soda or mixer. Seems they now have Pepsi products instead of Coke. Check online or call Carnival prior to your cruise and you should be able to get what you want.

I could be wrong but I thought you had to call to order a bottle for your cabin, and there is a phone number to call not a online way to order. I read it was to make sure a adult was ordering it not a child.

Placing an Order
Gift orders may be placed online 24/7 at the above website, or by calling The Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648, Monday through Friday, 9:00am-10:00pm ET and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am-6:00pm ET.

Edited by firefly333

I have always been able to order online before the cruise - not cheap !  and it was in room or delivered  first day.  I have also 'thought' I ordered, but didn't so I could still  order a bottle from room service.  You pay the high pre-cruise price, and delivery tip,  but they will bring it to you, and you can consume during the cruise. Nothing out of the cheaper duty free fun shops is delivered until last night aboard.

Tom

• Like 4

Yeah, I have ordered alcohol before through the Fun Shops as well and it is delivered to your stateroom. However, for my upcoming cruise I only see champagne and not liquor but maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. 

Just now, Eli_6 said:

Yeah, I have ordered alcohol before through the Fun Shops as well and it is delivered to your stateroom. However, for my upcoming cruise I only see champagne and not liquor but maybe I am looking in the wrong spot. 

Champagne is all I see as well

I usually order the 5 bottle wine package online, and the coupons are delivered to the room......just when varies.

Sailing from Miami, they were there upon entering the room

When I voyaged from Galveston, I was told they would be available the next day.

What the heck, I'm on vacation and the bars are open.

David

1 hour ago, bugsy7 said:

You can order bottles through room service. It is the same price as pre-ordering.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Champagne is all I see as well

I just managed to get to it another way. I had to go to "Food and Beverage" rather than in room gifts and shopping.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

I usually order the 5 bottle wine package online, and the coupons are delivered to the room......just when varies.

David

It has something to do with Texas law, I think, as they don't have Cheers on the first day either. I thought it was because Texas doesn't allow all you can drink, but that doesn't seem like it would apply to wine bottles.

11 minutes ago, DAllenTCY said:

David

You can drink some liquor out of Galveston but I think it has to come from texas until we hit outside texas waters. You can get the fun ship drinks as you board. 

Also there is now a per bottle charge, maybe 3.50 for each bottle you buy and take off at debark. That was new my last vista cruise, it used to be 1 free bottle with no extra customs charge. Agree Galveston has some liquor laws hard to explain. I've decided not worth buying onboard with the per bottle charge. Or dont declare them.

8 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I could be wrong but I thought you had to call to order a bottle for your cabin, and there is a phone number to call not a online way to order. I read it was to make sure a adult was ordering it not a child.

Placing an Order
Gift orders may be placed online 24/7 at the above website, or by calling The Fun Shops department at 1-800-522-7648, Monday through Friday, 9:00am-10:00pm ET and Saturday and Sunday, 9:00am-6:00pm ET.

I've always ordered on line for my bottles, never called. You order from your on line Carnival account so if a minor doesn't have your sign in or credit card number you have no problems.

I believe that the costs for the bottle is the same as online beforehand. You would order from room service.

With regards to Galveston, blame the Texas ABC. Yes, the liquor is duty free from the US standpoint, but Texas requires you to pay an "import" fee.

13 hours ago, 5000 said:

I have always been able to order online before the cruise - not cheap !

While yes, there is a markup, the price per drink is better than anywhere else to consume on a (Carnival) cruise. As a bourbon drinker, a 1 liter bottle of bourbon for about 40% off of the bar price is a fantastic deal for me.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jb8162 said:

Package deal: 1 Liter Jack Daniels and 6 pack Coke $100.00 ore cruise.

Assuming the 6 pack of Coke is 12 oz cans, that's 5.6 oz of Jack per 12 ounce can of Coke. Carnival really wants you to get hammered in your cabin based on that package deal!😄

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

While yes, there is a markup, the price per drink is better than anywhere else to consume on a (Carnival) cruise. As a bourbon drinker, a 1 liter bottle of bourbon for about 40% off of the bar price is a fantastic deal for me.

Yup, it's not such a bad deal when you do the math, though cheers is much more convenient and dynamic for the typical passenger.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Assuming the 6 pack of Coke is 12 oz cans, that's 5.6 oz of Jack per 12 ounce can of Coke. Carnival really wants you to get hammered in your cabin based on that package deal!😄

Ah, brings back memories of old Jaxport and Mayport bars where you BYOB and then buy set-ups of 8 oz soda and kept the single glass filled to the rim the whole night or until you passed out.😵🥳

On 5/21/2021 at 6:34 PM, bugsy7 said:

I finally found the online liquor. The Fun Shops have a link with the the little cake pictured on the homepage. I always overlook it thinking it was the same as in my Cruise Planner. Click on the cake, then to food and beverage, then box on left will take you straight to listing of 50 available bottles. Hope you like Patron, seems they feature Patron varieties from $90-170/bottle.

I have also pre-purchased Rum and beer for my cabin (DH likes rum, I like beer). On my next cruise in 2023, I have $1100 on board credit so I want to purchase my in-room beverages after I board. Room Service it is! Thanks for the info as I wasn't sure how to go about that.

21 minutes ago, RumpunchGirl said:

I have also pre-purchased Rum and beer for my cabin (DH likes rum, I like beer). On my next cruise in 2023, I have $1100 on board credit so I want to purchase my in-room beverages after I board. Room Service it is! Thanks for the info as I wasn't sure how to go about that.

Depending on your ship, if there is a Red Frog Pub, they might be selling cases of beer for half price the first afternoon. I would ask as soon as you board  If no pub, maybe somewhere else?