Alaska Sailing No Canada Stop Questions

Sailing78

9 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

What is the point here?  They obviously have just not updated their website.

So the website has not been updated -

Let alone - - -

Having the cruise ships headed to Alaska to start the service - and getting enough

crew on board to service the guests - and supplying the ships with food and other

expected essentials.

So the port call at Victoria is going to be skipped - maybe even replaced with another

port call in Alaska - or more time spent at one of the scheduled ports or glaciers ?!

Que sera sera !

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

Interestingly, someone sent me a video about a Canadian ruminating that the U.S. may make the foreign port requirement for stopping in Canada permanently moot on Alaska cruises.

I doubt it. The legislation just passed expires the earlier of the date Canada no longer prohibits large cruise ships or March 22, 2022.

There's more to this legislation than a PVSA waiver. Out of necessity it also has a waiver of the visa requirements for alien crewmen and I doubt that's anything Congress would want to extend.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I doubt it. The legislation just passed expires the earlier of the date Canada no longer prohibits large cruise ships or March 22, 2022.

There's more to this legislation than a PVSA waiver. Out of necessity it also has a waiver of the visa requirements for alien crewmen and I doubt that's anything Congress would want to extend.

How sad...to be missing Canadian ports. I live in Nova Scotia...land of... applying to the government for permission to travel 200 km away from Halifax to be with your daughter when she gives birth...the hysteria and sorry, I really have no other word that seems appropriate...but brainwashing continues because people are accepting this as ok.

Edited by winterbliss
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, winterbliss said:

How sad...to be missing Canadian ports. I live in Nova Scotia...land of... applying to the government for permission to travel 200 km away from Halifax to be with your daughter when she gives birth...the hysteria and sorry, I really have no other word that seems appropriate...but brainwashing continues because people are accepting this as ok.

Brainwashing? Tell that to the families and friends of the 3.5 million people who have died due to COVID-19, including 590,000 Americans and 25,000 Canadians . I have a half dozen friends who went to their graves prematurely thanks to what you attribute to brainwashing and hysteria.

Unfortunately we've all had to miss family events both happy and sad. Births and birthday parties. Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Easter and Passover (I have a religiously diverse family.).  Funerals and memorial services.  But we swallow hard and accept that knowing that in the end it's better for us personally and for society as a whole. And in the past month we've started to get back together again as all the adults in our extended family have bee fully vaccinated. With just a little more patience you'll get there too.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Unfortunately we've all had to miss family events both happy and sad. Births and birthday parties. Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Easter and Passover (I have a religiously diverse family.).  Funerals and memorial services.  But we swallow hard and accept that knowing that in the end it's better for us personally and for society as a whole. 

I haven't missed a thing.  We've gathered with extended family on the normal holidays throughout this mess.  Nobody got Covid.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I haven't missed a thing.  We've gathered with extended family on the normal holidays throughout this mess.  Nobody got Covid.

Good for you. That proves nothing. 

I was exceeding the speed limit while driving almost all day yesterday but I didn't get a speeding ticket. That just meant I didn't drive into an area with a police radar trap, not that it was a good idea to speed. I have in the past though, so I know it can happen, and the families of my friends who died due to COVID know that can happen too.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Good for you. That proves nothing. 

I was exceeding the speed limit while driving almost all day yesterday but I didn't get a speeding ticket. That just meant I didn't drive into an area with a police radar trap, not that it was a good idea to speed. I have in the past though, so I know it can happen, and the families of my friends who died due to COVID know that can happen too.

Well, you set your priorities.  For me, spending time with family is number one and well worth whatever "risk" we were taking.  We're not religiously diverse and we have faith that God is more powerful than Covid.  To each his own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

Brainwashing? Tell that to the families and friends of the 3.5 million people who have died due to COVID-19, including 590,000 Americans and 25,000 Canadians . I have a half dozen friends who went to their graves prematurely thanks to what you attribute to brainwashing and hysteria.

Unfortunately we've all had to miss family events both happy and sad. Births and birthday parties. Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Easter and Passover (I have a religiously diverse family.).  Funerals and memorial services.  But we swallow hard and accept that knowing that in the end it's better for us personally and for society as a whole. And in the past month we've started to get back together again as all the adults in our extended family have bee fully vaccinated. With just a little more patience you'll get there too.

Yes, as a retired nurse, to use the word brainwashing doesn't come easy. I'm aware that people have died. But something just isn't right in the big picture here. I know plenty about death and dying. I mean no disrespect. People have died of all kinds of illness, disease, accidents, etc.

Just ten minutes ago, my daughter in Vancouver had a neighbor call her up, someone she barely knows, and ask her if she's been vaccinated and essentially began to interrogate her. That is not ok!!! That is someone who has been brainwashed into thinking she has a right to tell a neighbor that she needs to get an injection... absolutely insane.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Yes, as a retired nurse, to use the word brainwashing doesn't come easy. I'm aware that people have died. But something just isn't right in the big picture here. I know plenty about death and dying. I mean no disrespect. People have died of all kinds of illness, disease, accidents, etc.

Thank you for sharing this.

59 minutes ago, winterbliss said:

Just ten minutes ago, my daughter in Vancouver had a neighbor call her up, someone she barely knows, and ask her if she's been vaccinated and essentially began to interrogate her. That is not ok!!! That is someone who has been brainwashed into thinking she has a right to tell a neighbor that she needs to get an injection... absolutely insane.

That's not brainwashing, it's just totally inappropriate behavior, which you could have experienced almost every day of your life if you chose to pay attention to it. Someone asking you if you've gained weight, someone asking if you are OK because you look like you suddenly lost weight, someone asking what you paid for something you bought.  What normally happens is that you choose not to pay attention to it and dismiss the person in your mind with  "none of your business". 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That's not brainwashing, it's just totally inappropriate behavior, which you could have experienced almost every day of your life if you chose to pay attention to it. Someone asking you if you've gained weight, someone asking if you are OK because you look like you suddenly lost weight, someone asking what you paid for something you bought.  What normally happens is that you choose not to pay attention to it and dismiss the person in your mind with  "none of your business". 

No. A neighbor that you barely know doesn't call you up to see if you've gained weight. We need to be looking at the big picture of what's going on. Enough of being gullible and naive and believing all the crap people have been fed.

• Like 2

Does anybody actually think that anyone on this cruise will be crossing the border on an excursion? The whole PVSA thing was waived because Canada wouldn’t allow cruise ship stops. I’m pretty sure Canada requires a quarantine for anyone coming internationally, including their own citizens. They aren’t letting someone from a cruise ship enter at a land crossing on an excursion. I don’t know if passports are required or not, but passengers won’t need them due to a shore excursion...

37 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Does anybody actually think that anyone on this cruise will be crossing the border on an excursion? 

No.  IIRC, the train technically crosses the border but it doesn't count because nobody gets off/on.  I believe there was a longer extension on a bus that did go into Canada, but that won't happen.

4 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

No.  IIRC, the train technically crosses the border but it doesn't count because nobody gets off/on.  I believe there was a longer extension on a bus that did go into Canada, but that won't happen.

Correct the Summit train makes a loop at the Summit and returns to Skagway - no one gets on

or off or sets foot on Canadian soil.

While the following are not subject to the PVSA restrictions the border is closed and I would

imagine that these excursions are cancelled or not offered at this time. 

The train trips to Fraser and some of the Shore Excursions and those to Lake Bennett require

the Passport - there are the combo excursion trips using the train one way and bus for the return

and v-v - Passport required. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Correct the Summit train makes a loop at the Summit and returns to Skagway - no one gets on

or off or sets foot on Canadian soil.

While the following are not subject to the PVSA restrictions the border is closed and I would

imagine that these excursions are cancelled or not offered at this time. 

The train trips to Fraser and some of the Shore Excursions and those to Lake Bennett require

the Passport - there are the combo excursion trips using the train one way and bus for the return

and v-v - Passport required. 

Thanks.

For those that have taken the Summit train trip before - the train would park on a siding and

the locomotives would then be moved and re-connected to the rear of the train for the return

trip to Skagway.

Unique feature the seats in the cars would be flipped over so the passengers would be facing

forward on that return.

In the recent past years (2019?) a loop in the track was made so the locomotives don't have

to be relocated at the front of the train since they are already in place and the seats don't have

to be flipped.

This loop in the track takes the Summit train about a mile further into Canada -

And again no one gets on or off the train - about those photo-ops at the border I can't

answer that - probably not as there is no real platform to get off the train safely.

This loop in the track at the border is not to be confused with the loop at Fraser.