Dress Code/Theme Night/Theatre schedule for QE summer cruises

bluemarble

Thank you.

So is the ball for dancing or is it a dinner dance?
Does one eat first and then go to the ball? 

I notice that Top Hat is showing in the theatre. 
So would it be a choice of theatre or ball on that night?

Apologies for so many questions, we’ve cruised before with other lines but the only time with Cunard was a few years ago but that was only a 2 night taster, there was no Gala dinner on that one. 

On the Gala evenings some people go to dinner in the various dining rooms already dressed according to the dress code for the evening, and some will dress 'in theme'.  Dinner is entirely separate from the dancing in the Queen's Room. Generally people will have their dinner at their usual time, either for first or second sitting in whichever dining room they normally go to, and then outside of dinner time can go to any other entertainment in the evening, whether it be the theatre shows, or spending some time in the Queen's Room where the orchestra will be playing, and a lot of people tend to dance to the live music on the Gala Evenings. The main 'ball' usually doesn't start until around 9pm in the Queen's Room, and often people get there early to get a seat, and before the main ball starts people will be dancing to recorded music and other live music sets (assuming dancing is permitted again after the 19th July). Most of the dancing is ballroom and Latin International 10 dances, with a few salsa, or Argentine Tango, and a small number of popular sequence dances, but the predominant style are the five ballroom dances from Waltz through Quickstep and Foxtrot, and the 5 Latin dances, though Paso Doble is only occasional, and the main Latin dances are Cha Cha, Rumba, Jive and a few Sambas. The floor is often quite busy, and busier than other nights, but once the main ball starts then the floor is often packed densely for an hour or so. Quite a high fraction of people there will be there to enjoy watching the dancing, and enjoying a drink and social chat, but there is almost always a hard core of people who will be dancing all evening. Usually there has been a show dance by the professional ballroom dance couple around 10pm for a quarter of an hour, at which time it is usually standing room only and lots of people come in to watch that. Typically when it gets towards 11pm some people are tired and head to bed, and the dance floor then gets a little less crowded and it is easier to actually dance again, and towards midnight there are usually still some people around but it returns to more normal numbers and dancing becomes nicer again. By that time of the evening we tend to go to the Commodore Club for a drink and listen to the pianist before getting back to our room to sleep enough to have energy left for the next day.

Edited by mcloaked
Minor addition
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The shows usually last around 45 minutes and are after dinner, timed to fit around the Britannia sitting times. I seem to remember that those have been changed for the new cruises so show times might change.

We don't normally go to the Production shows but loved Top Hat on Queen Elizabeth.

Just to add for clarification - there is usually one theatre show that follows first sitting, and a second performance timed to be after second sitting in the Britannia dining room. So no matter which dinner sitting you are in it is possible to go to a theatre show afterwards. As has been said, with the new arrangements for restart timings may be different to the way it was before the pandemic.

One more detail about the theme schedule. @The Med (or anyone else on these QE staycation cruises), is the dress code and theme schedule listed in your Voyage Personaliser (aka "My Cunard") yet? If not, that begs the question how many passengers will actually know the theme for your 23 July voyage is "Black & White" and will be planning accordingly. The percentage of passengers who end up adhering to the theme could be significantly less than usual if that's the case.

Edited by bluemarble

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

One more detail about the theme schedule. @The Med (or anyone else on these QE staycation cruises), is the dress code and theme schedule listed in your Voyage Personaliser (aka "My Cunard") yet? If not, that begs the question how many passengers will actually know the theme for your 23 July voyage is "Black & White" ?
The percentage of passengers who end up adhering to the theme could be significantly less than usual 

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies, it’s much appreciated.

Blue Marble, what was on my voyage personaliser was that it would be either Black and White  OR Roaring Twenties .

It was you that clarified which one.

I know that this is first world problems but I’ve tried on my black and white dress and it fits…yeh.

BUT, I have a silver gown that I bought for a very special occasion. I’d had it   altered to fit me like a glove. This event got cancelled in March last year and I’ve maintained the same weight all during lockdown so that the dress still fits.

So I really want to wear that dress. I’m happy to wear black and white for the theme but I’ll be miffed if I get to the dinner and only a minority are in the theme and I could have worn my lovely dress after all. 

I suppose I could pack both and then send husband down to for a quick look-see to see what the ladies are wearing. 

This might be irrelevant anyway. I’m hoping that they get the covid crew off the Queen Elizabeth pronto and nip it in the bud. 
If the ship is currently moored of the Devon coast then I’m struggling to work out how they caught it?

@The Med, how's this for over-analyzing the situation, as I often do? Given that:

1) Theme schedules aren't necessarily cast in stone.

2) There could still be some uncertainty about the planned theme based on what your voyage personaliser is telling you compared to the schedule I found.

3) Most other passengers will likely have uncertainty about the planned theme as well.

4) Participation in the theme is entirely optional.

5) Silver isn't that far of a departure from Black & White anyway.

6) You would prefer to wear the silver gown.

I'd say go for it, take the silver gown and make a statement on your one opportunity for a Gala evening on your cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just for information that dont know there are changes to the Britannia dining experience for the QE summer cruises. First sitting will be at 5-30pm, Second sitting is 7pm or any time after that with last orders taken at 9pm. Britannia Club, Princess and Queens Grill will be anytime from 6-30pm and last orders 9pm.

11 hours ago, mcloaked said:

On the Gala evenings some people go to dinner in the various dining rooms already dressed according to the dress code for the evening, and some will dress 'in theme'.  Dinner is entirely separate from the dancing in the Queen's Room. Generally people will have their dinner at their usual time, either for first or second sitting in whichever dining room they normally go to, and then outside of dinner time can go to any other entertainment in the evening, whether it be the theatre shows, or spending some time in the Queen's Room where the orchestra will be playing, and a lot of people tend to dance to the live music on the Gala Evenings. The main 'ball' usually doesn't start until around 9pm in the Queen's Room, and often people get there early to get a seat, and before the main ball starts people will be dancing to recorded music and other live music sets (assuming dancing is permitted again after the 19th July). Most of the dancing is ballroom and Latin International 10 dances, with a few salsa, or Argentine Tango, and a small number of popular sequence dances, but the predominant style are the five ballroom dances from Waltz through Quickstep and Foxtrot, and the 5 Latin dances, though Paso Doble is only occasional, and the main Latin dances are Cha Cha, Rumba, Jive and a few Sambas. The floor is often quite busy, and busier than other nights, but once the main ball starts then the floor is often packed densely for an hour or so. Quite a high fraction of people there will be there to enjoy watching the dancing, and enjoying a drink and social chat, but there is almost always a hard core of people who will be dancing all evening. Usually there has been a show dance by the professional ballroom dance couple around 10pm for a quarter of an hour, at which time it is usually standing room only and lots of people come in to watch that. Typically when it gets towards 11pm some people are tired and head to bed, and the dance floor then gets a little less crowded and it is easier to actually dance again, and towards midnight there are usually still some people around but it returns to more normal numbers and dancing becomes nicer again. By that time of the evening we tend to go to the Commodore Club for a drink and listen to the pianist before getting back to our room to sleep enough to have energy left for the next day.

All of which was what happened pre 2020. 

I thought they weren't allowing dancing on the staycation cruises? Hard to maintain social distance on the dance floor!  

The OP they do organize entertainment so that you can do everything including dinner regardless of your seating. BUT this is all new (including to Cunard) - so things probably have changed. 

And I'd wear the silver - close enough to white as far as I'm concerned.  Also I took great care to have the right theme dresses on our cruise - only to have the one theme moved to a casual night and one didn't happen at all. They do change depending on the captain. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Med said:

Blue Marble, what was on my voyage personaliser was that it would be either Black and White  OR Roaring Twenties .

I know that this is first world problems but I’ve tried on my black and white dress and it fits…yeh.

BUT, I have a silver gown that I bought for a very special occasion. I’d had it   altered to fit me like a glove. This event got cancelled in March last year and I’ve maintained the same weight all during lockdown so that the dress still fits.

So I really want to wear that dress. I’m happy to wear black and white for the theme but I’ll be miffed if I get to the dinner and only a minority are in the theme and I could have worn my lovely dress after all. 

I suppose I could pack both and then send husband down to for a quick look-see to see what the ladies are wearing. 

This might be irrelevant anyway. I’m hoping that they get the covid crew off the Queen Elizabeth pronto and nip it in the bud. 
If the ship is currently moored of the Devon coast then I’m struggling to work out how they caught it?

Wear the silver dress and don’t even give it a second thought. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, The Med said:

Don't overthink it. The silver sounds suitable for a gala night and if you feel fabulous in it, wear it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Just for information that dont know there are changes to the Britannia dining experience for the QE summer cruises. First sitting will be at 5-30pm, Second sitting is 7pm or any time after that with last orders taken at 9pm. Britannia Club, Princess and Queens Grill will be anytime from 6-30pm and last orders 9pm.

People keep saying they won't be cruising with restrictions such as masks, but for me the killer would be 'nursery tea'.

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

I notice that as well - We're on the second sitting for our Aug 20th cruise which seems to be anytime dining within the constraints of the 19:30-21:00 time slot - I was a little worried as it going to make our usual 5pm Commodore lounge drinks a bit of a rush, but if it is "anytime" then we will be fine.

These timing don't seem to be in force for our Carribbean Crossings/Cruise in November though.

4 hours ago, rakkor said:

I notice that as well - We're on the second sitting for our Aug 20th cruise which seems to be anytime dining within the constraints of the 19:30-21:00 time slot - I was a little worried as it going to make our usual 5pm Commodore lounge drinks a bit of a rush, but if it is "anytime" then we will be fine.

These timing don't seem to be in force for our Carribbean Crossings/Cruise in November though.

They are only for the QE summer sailings around the UK and one would hope that when cruising gets back to some sort of normality that they will return to the original times.

23 hours ago, lissie said:

All of which was what happened pre 2020. 

I thought they weren't allowing dancing on the staycation cruises? Hard to maintain social distance on the dance floor!  

The OP they do organize entertainment so that you can do everything including dinner regardless of your seating. BUT this is all new (including to Cunard) - so things probably have changed. 

And I'd wear the silver - close enough to white as far as I'm concerned.  Also I took great care to have the right theme dresses on our cruise - only to have the one theme moved to a casual night and one didn't happen at all. They do change depending on the captain. 

Yes, I described the general pattern prior to the pandemic. However the UK is on track to have most of the social distancing rules and mask wearing laws removed at step 4 of the 'roadmap' on the 19th July, and after that it is likely to be up to individuals whether or not to wear masks, and the 1 metre plus rule is expected also to be scrapped.  So on land it is highly likely that social dancing will return to the dance floor after the 19th July 2021, and many UK dance events are now on the calendar for the end of July and for the rest of this year. 

Of course it is up to Cunard to decide what rules they wish to implement once the legal limitations are removed - but for a ship where all passengers are fully vaccinated, as well as crew, the risks of being seriously ill if you are exposed to the virus will be extremely low, and with everyone being tested prior to boarding, the risk of exposure on board will be way less than in the community on land in the UK. It would therefore be surprising if ballroom dancing did not restart on the staycation cruises on Cunard ships after the 19th July. No doubt many people will be poised to hear how things work out when the QE sets sail on the first few round Britain cruises in a couple of weeks. Cunard will be working very hard to make sure that the experience of so many passengers who have been looking forward to the easing of lockdown rules in the UK and for whom cruises are the prime holiday experience in the ballroom won't be disappointed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turnip eater said:

Are you able to move to an August or September cruise? 

We’re doing other things in those months and as we’re going with friends it’s difficult to find dates that work for all of us.

I’m currently looking at other cruise lines at the moment for our original dates. 

Hi, sorry, Cunard newbie here!

First cruise booked for the 10 nighter on 14th Sept.

Black and White and Roaring 20's seem fairly self explanatory for the theme/ball on gala nights, but I'm curious to know more about the Top Hat, Be Our Guest and Hollywood Nights, themes for the theatre.

Can anyone help me out?

1 minute ago, tim2go said:

Hi, sorry, Cunard newbie here!

First cruise booked for the 10 nighter on 14th Sept.

Black and White and Roaring 20's seem fairly self explanatory for the theme/ball on gala nights, but I'm curious to know more about the Top Hat, Be Our Guest and Hollywood Nights, themes for the theatre.

Can anyone help me out?

Yes, I can help. Those entries listed under the "Theatre" column aren't themes per se. They are the names of the production shows which are scheduled to be performed in the Royal Court Theatre on the "Gala" evenings. Those are the more elaborate shows involving the full Cunard Singers and Dancers production company. Other evenings will have other performances in the theatre, but those aren't being specified on the schedule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Yes, I can help. Those entries listed under the "Theatre" column aren't themes per se. They are the names of the production shows which are scheduled to be performed in the Royal Court Theatre on the "Gala" evenings. Those are the more elaborate shows involving the full Cunard Singers and Dancers production company. Other evenings will have other performances in the theatre, but those aren't being specified on the schedule.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I assumed but it's nice to have it clarified. 🙂