Is Holland America Getting Ready to Raise Cost of Gratuities?

LAFFNVEGAS

7 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

So let us just say  the avg  payroll tax is 20%  & that doesn't count Soc Sec tax  or state income tax or id=f there is a city income tax ;but ,for simplification let's stick to the 20% tax base divided by 5 years is 4% per year pay raise ;but ,in reality the cruise staff has never paid any rtaxes .further the past strength of the dollar to their foreign currency was also a substantial boost  to their ,at home income  levels  . 

If we want to help people lets start with our own homeless people & many are Vets 

It still is not important.    Wages, regardless of how they are paid, occur in a competitive marketplace.  They are not handouts.  They are fees for a service performed.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks for that.  I didn't remember and that helps judge the cost increase.  

When people price their  per day cost of vacationing  & they find that they can take a land vacation for less money than cost per  day to cruise  that will place the pricing pressure I been talking about 

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

It still is not important.    Wages, regardless of how they are paid, occur in a competitive marketplace.  They are not handouts.  They are fees for a service rendered.  

I don't get it Carnival did not raise their gratuities .Still the same, yet HAL has 2 increases with in 2 years .Give me a break  ,this has nothing to do with being in any competitive market place . BTW ,competition  generally lowers prices & doesn't raise them 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

When people price their  per day cost of vacationing  & they find that they can take a land vacation for less money than cost per  day to cruise  that will place the pricing pressure I been talking about 

This is something we will be comparing.  We’d like to vacation with our grandchild (and parents) and will be looking at an all inclusive resort or condo to rent in the future.  

I just took a one week vacation and even using points it was an expensive endeavor.  Gas prices are high, hotel prices are high, restaurant prices are crazy and entertainment was high.  I easily spent as much as a 1 week Caribbean cruise for two on that simple, go visit the relatives vacation a few states away.    I only paid one museum admission and one evening concert.  The rest was walking around.  We wanted to do more but the admission prices were insane.  AND we spent our waking hours driving.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

This is something we will be comparing.  We’d like to vacation with our grandchild (and parents) and will be looking at an all inclusive resort or condo to rent in the future.  

Yes there are many alternatives  to a cruise vacation  & in todays world perhaps a healthier vacation .  

From a cost point of view   there are added costs for may pax going to cruise like airfares ,luggage fees ,pre cruise hotel night & meals .  We can drive or uber to our cruises here on the   west coast but even then there are added costs for Uber or parking fees which are now $23 per day 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I just took a one week vacation and even using points it was an expensive endeavor.  Gas prices are high, hotel prices are high, restaurant prices are crazy and entertainment was high.  I easily spent as much as a 1 week Caribbean cruise for two on that simple, go visit the relatives vacation a few states away.    I only paid one museum admission and one evening concert.  The rest was walking around.  We wanted to do more but the admission prices were insane.  AND we spent our waking hours driving.  

These price too will come down  because hyper inflation would be extremely   bad for the US economy & the stock market in general . Thus ,what some people think is good can really turn out to be their worse nightmare 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

You're absolutely right especially if going anywhere in Peak Season.   

• Like 2

On 5/24/2021 at 10:46 PM, LAFFNVEGAS said:

This evening I was playing around with by On Line Reservation for our upcoming July 24th Nieuw Amsterdam cruise to Alaska. 

I just visited our cruise for next year and "played around" ours came back at the current  gratuity rate..

Zuiderdam for Oct. 22

3 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

I just visited our cruise for next year and "played around" ours came back at the current  gratuity rate..

Zuiderdam for Oct. 22

When I log into both of my up coming sailings at the page of Pre paid Gratuities.

This is what it reads

In order to ensure that our crew are rewarded for going above and beyond—every time, we add a daily Hotel Service Charge of $14.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $16.00 per guest per day for suite guests. This Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members and represents an important part of their compensation. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, please feel free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage.

It still reads $14.50, yet in the lower portion for dollar amount it adds up to $15.50 per person. 

Price per person $108.50

They really need to get this corrected.

• Like 4

Makes me very glad that I booked next years 21 day Caribbean cruise in February. Got the cabin that I wanted at a reasonable price with basically everything included. Prices have gone up considerably since then. 

15 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

When I log into both of my up coming sailings at the page of Pre paid Gratuities.

This is what it reads

In order to ensure that our crew are rewarded for going above and beyond—every time, we add a daily Hotel Service Charge of $14.50 per guest per day for non-suite stateroom guests and $16.00 per guest per day for suite guests. This Hotel Service Charge is paid entirely to Holland America Line crew members and represents an important part of their compensation. If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, please feel free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage.

It still reads $14.50, yet in the lower portion for dollar amount it adds up to $15.50 per person. 

Price per person $108.50

I'm getting the same for my two bookings (i.e $15.50)

2 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Price per person $108.50

It’s the “New Math”🥴

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

The point I am making is about price increase resistance ,especially with seniors on fixed incomes  .Their buying power is being eroded & seniors are the bulk of HAL's customer base  .Considering  alternative vacations ,HAL may soon find themselves priced out of the market  with regards too seniors 

I'm not so sure that this would make HAL terribly unhappy. There have been moves for years that suggest HAL is looking to bring in a younger customer base, perhaps one that spends more freely.

11 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

As to seniors they are the absolute wealthiest demographic in the US.

That is only  true for those seniors who saved in their  working years & invested wisely  .Not all seniors can make that claim 

Of course. No generalization holds true for every single instance. But in general, seniors hold the most wealth in the US, and younger age groups are not able to accumulate wealth as successfully as their predecessors, for a number of reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm not so sure that this would make HAL terribly unhappy. There have been moves for years that suggest HAL is looking to bring in a younger customer base, perhaps one that spends more freely.

Of course. No generalization holds true for every single instance. But in general, seniors hold the most wealth in the US, and younger age groups are not able to accumulate wealth as successfully as their predecessors, for a number of reasons.

Then you answered your own question ,how will HAL attract a younger generation who fond it difficult to save ,such as young families with children ,who are striving to have funds for their children's education  ;as well as every day expenses ,home ownership ie  . where would HAL get all these new cruising people ?  Now with costs escalating in nearly every sector of the economy  , me thinks that cruises are further down the wish list   .The test of time will tell  how HAL & the other cruise lines weather this price escalating storm   .Until the Fat lady sings we won;t know for sure 

Edited by mcrcruiser

One of the main things that made us ‘DAM loyal cruisers was the amazing HAL crews. They are miles ahead of crew on the other lines we cruised on, and on the longer cruises become like family. Between the long and difficult months the crews spent just getting home in 2020, and  the conditions in Indonesia and the Philippines during the pandemic, these people have been through hell.
Soon those who have survived both the pandemic and the staffing cuts from the loss of four ships will return to our BHB’s. When I’m finally back aboard, I’m hardly going to begrudge a dollar a day divided between all the different people who spend their day making my day so wonderful.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

One of the main things that made us ‘DAM loyal cruisers was the amazing HAL crews. They are miles ahead of crew on the other lines we cruised on, and on the longer cruises become like family. Between the long and difficult months the crews spent just getting home in 2020, and  the conditions in Indonesia and the Philippines during the pandemic, these people have been through hell.
Soon those who have survived both the pandemic and the staffing cuts from the loss of four ships will return to our BHB’s. When I’m finally back aboard, I’m hardly going to begrudge a dollar a day divided between all the different people who spend their day making my day so wonderful.

Well hopefully you get your wish & can cruise soon  ,after you  get fully vaccinated 

• Like 1

Just now, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

As you may guess, I am staring at the phone waiting for the call for the appointment for my second shot!

That is good news to hear for you folks in BC . What will be the status  post vaccination & post cruise   with that quarantine order in effect in Canada ?

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

That is good news to hear for you folks in BC . What will be the status  post vaccination & post cruise   with that quarantine order in effect in Canada ?

I hope it means I can stay home and sleep for two weeks post cruise and people aren’t allowed to come to the door and wake me up.😉

So few people have their second shots yet that it isn’t really clear.