***CDC gives RCI GO AHEAD to start test cruises in July***

Just published in the Miami Herald

"The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gave its first green light for test cruises to Royal Caribbean Group Tuesday.

The cruise company will be able to conduct simulated cruises with volunteer passengers in July to test out its COVID-19 protocols from PortMiami on its Freedom of the Seas ship. The test cruises are a requirement for ships that are not guaranteeing most passengers and crew on board are vaccinated against COVID-19 before revenue cruises can begin."

https://www.miamiherald.com/article251674538.html

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Like 5

• livingonthebeach changed the title to ***CDC gives RCI GO AHEAD to start test cruises in July***

How sucessful do they think an unvacinated cruise will be though? Guessing these are going to be very short cruises.

Question though,  is this going to be a win for RCI or CDC?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Where was Freedom supposed to be until late October?

Not certain but it looks like it was scheduled out of Cape Liberty for cruises to Bermuda in July. 

Edited by livingonthebeach

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Not certain but it looks like it was scheduled out of Cape Liberty for cruises to Bermuda in July. 

Cancel those 5 sailings in July from NJ then..............

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Interesting. Part of this agreement is wanting specifics on how many passengers will be on the first two restricted cruises. Wonder when/where those will be?

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

Interesting. Part of this agreement is wanting specifics on how many passengers will be on the first two restricted cruises. Wonder when/where those will be?

I have no clue.  I volunteered but I haven't heard anything yet....

18 minutes ago, MrCruzdoggie said:

Sweet, we are registered as volunteers..........................

You and 100,000 others.  Good luck!

I guess if they’re going to start test cruises in July, then my July 17th  8 day Independence cruise is probably not going to sail.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sellwingri said:

I guess if they’re going to start test cruises in July, then my July 17th  8 day Independence cruise is probably not going to sail.

Just now, RFerrington said:

We're on that one, too....plus the 6 day following.  Not holding my breath on these 2.

2 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Toast !

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, paulh84 said:

Based on the letter Michael Bayley posted the simulated cruise is taking place June 20-22.

3 day cruises prove nothing, why bother. Why not a day trip on a cruiseship, then it would be just about like getting on an airplane.

No chance of covid cases doing it that way.

This whole deal about getting back to cruising again is turning into a real  joke, when will this all END !!

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, paulh84 said:

Based on the letter Michael Bayley posted the simulated cruise is taking place June 20-22.

Care to share this letter? And I'm surprised it's just one test cruise. I'm assuming a cruise to nowhere, or to just CocoCay?

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

3 day cruises prove nothing, why bother.

The purpose isn't to try to infect a ship with COVID. There are a ton of things they have to show they can do.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/ti-simulated-voyages-cso.html

1 minute ago, toad455 said:

Care to share this letter? And I'm surprised it's just one test cruise. I'm assuming a cruise to nowhere, or to just CocoCay?

It's on his Facebook page. Tough to read but it's very clear the date is June not July. 

• Like 1

Not my idea of good news, as it will cause further delay to restarting cruises to do test cruises.

I assume this is to allow more children, not unvaccinated adults, but who knows.

I would be pleased if they said we are bringing in full crews that will be vaccinated by july to restart in xyz ports. Not that we are doing test cruises. Oh well . .

• Like 1

Just now, CruisingHogFan said:

I may be wrong but wasn’t there a 30 day wait between test cruises and revenue sailings? Hopefully not the case anymore

That's what they said initially but since then things have been changing at warp speed -- especially in the last month so who knows. 

• Like 1

This is a little frustrating with all the ships that are supposed to sail in July and August. I hope they are continuing to submit approvals for test cruises on the other ships quickly.

Edited by mavo68
  • Thanks 1