CDC gives Celebrity the approval to start in June

ipeeinthepool

9 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Wow!  This will be a great thread - hopefully full of positive news as time goes on!  

i hope you are right. im so tired of the bickering on here. makes me read a lot less and it's a total turn off the spats that people have. but everyone has to be right till the end!

im gonna wait for a full month of sailing to see what the kinks are then book. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, rhblake said:

That is great news. I understand they are sailing for Ft. Lauderdale. Does anyone know how Celebrity is planning to prove 98% of guests are vaccinated?

Not if it’s sailing out of FL.

So DeSantis is whining that the ports are losing millions of dollars but at the same time, as of now, he won't permit the cruise lines to ask for proof of vaccinations per current CDC guidelines.  

Crazy right?  Did he not realize what he was doing when he signed that bill?  Plenty of empty piers here elsewhere in the U.S. and Caribbean. 

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Royal Caribbean is doing a “test cruise” so far 250,000 people have signed up.

Interesting that there is NO vaccine requirement but rapid testing is required.

I'm almost positive Vicki Freed said they plan to run test cruises with everyone vaccinated?

The problem with rapid testing is there will be a percentage of vaccinated people that will test positive.  Just look at the Yankees last week, where 8 coaches and staff tested positive.  if you have a vaccinated policy, why the testing?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

They will find a solution.  Guaranteed.  Nothing to worry about.

Ipee - I love your positivity but what are you basing it on?  Are you banking on the party negotiations (apart from the mediation)  will come to a suitable compromise that will somehow exempt the cruise industry from Florida's  onerous prohibition of producing proof of being fully vaccinated?

Mary

1 minute ago, Beba-Beba said:

Ipee - I love your positivity but what are you basing it on?  Are you banking on the party negotiations (apart from the mediation)  will come to a suitable compromise that will somehow exempt the cruise industry from Florida's  onerous prohibition of producing proof of being fully vaccinated?

Mary

An interview with the NCL CEO last week where he said not to worry about the Florida regulations, he said they would find a solution.  There was also a Celebrity TA webinar last week where the Marketing VP said the same thing.  They will find a solution to the Florida rules on vaccinations.

37 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

The problem with rapid testing is there will be a percentage of vaccinated people that will test positive.  Just look at the Yankees last week, where 8 coaches and staff tested positive.  if you have a vaccinated policy, why the testing?

CDC does not require vaccinated passengers to test at boarding. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

An interview with the NCL CEO last week where he said not to worry about the Florida regulations, he said they would find a solution.  There was also a Celebrity TA webinar last week where the Marketing VP said the same thing.  They will find a solution to the Florida rules on vaccinations.

Finding a solution sounds to me like finding a loophole in the FL law or compromise.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beba-Beba said:

Finding a solution sounds to me like finding a loophole in the FL law or compromise.  

Either one works.   As does a simple lack of enforcement or legal "interpretation" of the law.   File suit, judge issues injunction against the state, cruises resume... is also a potential.

Edit:  Interestingly enough, the anti-proof-of-vax law goes into effect on July 1st, so June cruises are in the clear.  🙂

Edited by D C
  • Like 2

Is he just banking that his law suite to kill the CSO will succeed.   There should be some feedback on that by the end of next week.  Even if the CSO is killed (which I don't think it will be) the cruise lines have been touting that vaccination is the key to restarting safely so I think it wouldn't change their plans at all.  I believe polls have also shown that a vast majority of cruisers want to sail on fully vaccinated sailings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CI66774 said:

Don’t hold your breath if it’s sailing out of FL. Nothing has been resolved.

I don't think the Gov has any jurisdiction in Federal Waters re a Foreign Flagged Vessel.  Celebrity isn't just blowing smoke here.  But feel free to promote a negative vibe about it.  

I'm just ready to cruise....

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

I don't think the Gov has any jurisdiction in Federal Waters re a Foreign Flagged Vessel.  Celebrity isn't just blowing smoke here.  

I'd like to think so but FL law probably does.   Remember you are charged FL sales tax on any purchases you make before you get to international waters.

33 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I really like what @Jeremiah1212 posted at #27 on the below thread associated with the use of the word "required" in the Florida law and thought it was worth repeating on this thread.

An Issue with Celebrity’s Plan? - Page 2 - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

I also like the "I submitted proof online to a company NOT in Florida" loophole.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

I'd like to think so but FL law probably does.   Remember you are charged FL sales tax on any purchases you make before you get to international waters.

I have found that depends on the ship/line etc...it has been been about 50/50 or less for me being charged any drink taxes in port...or less..and I've had drinks in port 100% of the time.  🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG