The Department of Homeland Security is considering a vaccination passport for international travel

ontheweb

8 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

EU announced today they are launching their digital covid “certificate” for citizens. I hope we aren’t far behind.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/european-union-digital-covid-passport

I saw a blurb - didn’t get a chance to read the details - that the EU was going to let non-EU people tap into the service. Sounds good to me! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT Trips said:

if the metric system gives us any clue, it will be a cold day in #€££ when we get a vaccine passport.

My understanding was that the idea is you the traveller has to obtain an EU vaccine passport. So it would not matter if your country is issuing one or not 🤔

Edited by ilikeanswers

5 hours ago, zekekelso said:

I saw a blurb - didn’t get a chance to read the details - that the EU was going to let non-EU people tap into the service. Sounds good to me! 

Announced this morning on German news: Several countries are ready to allow people to sign up for the "Covid passport".  The system is expected to be available EU wide by 1 July.   There are no plans to allow US travelers to sign into the EU program at this time.

Several countries are, or will in the near future open their borders to travelers from the US however these openings are not part of the EU Covid passport program.

21 hours ago, Pudgesmom said:

What would be your objection to having a way to show other countries that you are vaccinated?

i have no objection to a vaccine passport.
Why do you think I do?

I think the metric system makes much more sense. can’t imagine why the US didn’t adopt it back in the 70s.

10s are much easier to deal with than the various conversions from the measures we use here in the us. And try to explain to a TSA screener that an ounce of toothpaste is a measure of weight, no volume. 

Edited by CPT Trips
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

My understanding was that the idea is you the traveller has to obtain an EU vaccine passport. So it would not matter if your country is issuing one or not 🤔

Umm, US isn’t in the EU. 

55 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

i have no objection to a vaccine passport.
Why do you think I do?

I think the metric system makes much more sense. can’t imagine why the US didn’t adopt it back in the 70s.

10s are much easier to deal with than the various conversions from the measures we use here in the us. And try to explain to a TSA screener that an ounce of toothpaste is a measure of weight, no volume. 

I guess I misunderstood you, sorry. I should not have assumed you did not want it.

Edited by Pudgesmom

On 6/1/2021 at 2:59 AM, ldubs said:

So true.  It is now nothing to carry a pretty decent library in that little notebook.   Beyond that I appreciate the page formatting tools.  I have both the Fire (older model) and Paperwhite.   For setting back and reading a good book, I prefer the Paperwhite.      

We love our Kindle Whites, I down load 8-10 book to both our kindles, put it on airplane mode, and we are good to go..Plus i love being able to read in the sunlight at the pool

4 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Umm, US isn’t in the EU. 

Yes but I would assume you can download the EU vaccine passport, like the passport that IATA and Denmark was trialing. Therefore it should not matter if the USA is not issuing a vaccine passport because you should be able to use the EU one. I can't really think how else it can work otherwise🤔.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Yes but I would assume you can download the EU vaccine passport, like the passport that IATA and Denmark was trialing. Therefore it should not matter if the USA is not issuing a vaccine passport because you should be able to use the EU one. I can't really think how else it can work otherwise🤔.

Unfortunately it doesn't look that way. As explained to us yesterday either the vaccination center or your doctor will have to enter you in the EU system before you can download the QR code.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

Unfortunately it doesn't look that way. As explained to us yesterday either the vaccination center or your doctor will have to enter you in the EU system before you can download the QR code.  

So would a USA doctor be able to access and put in details for their patients or do only EU doctors have access?

On 5/31/2021 at 11:59 PM, ldubs said:

So true.  It is now nothing to carry a pretty decent library in that little notebook.   Beyond that I appreciate the page formatting tools.  I have both the Fire (older model) and Paperwhite.   For setting back and reading a good book, I prefer the Paperwhite.      

14 hours ago, winemama said:

We love our Kindle Whites, I down load 8-10 book to both our kindles, put it on airplane mode, and we are good to go..Plus i love being able to read in the sunlight at the pool

Exactly.  I think I always have at least 4 or 5 books downloaded.  I get a lot of freebies as part of Mrs Ldub's Prime membership, which is also nice.  

PS:  I meant "sitting back" instead of "setting back".  I would normally blame auto-correct, but in truth it was probably me.  Haha.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazyank said:

I wonder if authorizing access to our MyChart records would allow the vaccine info to be migrated to whatever system the EU uses.   That would sure be to my liking.     

I'm wondering why/how-come an international vaccine passport

isn't being issued by a global authority that covers all 200 countries.

Someone like United Nations, or a world health authority like W.H.O.

- rather than EU or USA

Mask-up y'all.jpg

47 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

WHO doesn't agree with vaccine passports because of unequal distribution of vaccines so I doubt they will be making one any time soon. Not unless the global vaccination rate goes up dramatically. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

57 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

I'm wondering why/how-come an international vaccine passport

isn't being issued by a global authority that covers all 200 countries.

- rather than EU or USA

Mask-up y'all.jpg

Getting 200 countries to agree on anything takes time.

• Haha 1

I now have the Veri fly and IATA Apps on my IPhone. They are new, but already accepted by over 50 international airlines at this point. One or both of them will become the international standard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Donald said:

I now have the Veri fly and IATA Apps on my IPhone. They are new, but already accepted by over 50 international airlines at this point. One or both of them will become the international standard.

Very much doubt that.  The EU is insisting on their own App.  Only time will tell.

That's all very well, but even if airlines accept them, you are still at the mercy of each and every country's policy on international arrivals.

For example, no-one is allowed into New Zealand for the foreseeable future other than NZ citizens and residents and even if they have been vaccinated overseas, they must still do 14 days compulsory  quarantine on arrival in a government approved facility.